Amerisuites 17th St. FL update - Anyone?

Aja28

Anyone stayed at the Amerisuites on 17th Street in Ft. Lauderdale lately? Just wondering if they have started the renovations yet. We will be there on Sept. 29 for a one night stay before our Caribbean Princess cruise. Would appreciate any updates and opinions from anyone who has stayed there recently.

Thanks.

I have been wondering the same thing. I was looking to book a room for our pre-cruise stay in November and I know that now they are going to charge to leave your car there. That's all I know.:(

I did notice that the prices had gone up. I think we got it for @ $120.

I called them about a month ago but the information was pretty vague so I was hoping to hear from someone who has been there recently.

Thanks for the replies.

Our Group is scheduled to be there this Saturday as well - almost cancelled the reservation because of the renovations that I learned about only this week. I called the hotel and they confirmed that the 4-5-6th floors are closed to guests currently. Contruction is generally occuring between 8a.m.to 6p.m. and some guests have been bothered by it. But they also confirmed that the pool is still OPEN - so have decided to give it a go rather than scamble at the last minutes on hotel changes... as long as that pool is open!!

From my understanding from another board is Amerisuites is changing after the remodeling in November and it will be called Hyatt Place. Along with the new name and remodeling I suspect the prices will change and I suspect they won't be on the lower side. Ken...

• 2 weeks later...

We just stayed at the Amerisuites last Saturday (7/28) pre-cruise. 4,5, & 6 floors were closed but I was told would be opened within 2 weeks. The rest of the hotel is ok for one night. The beds were clean and comfortable and that's about it. The bathroom was tiny with chipped tile, and peeling paint. The furniture was old and worn. However, the location is great - right on the Sun Trolley line and within walking distance to resturants and Publix etc...Also, if we stuck our heads out the window we can see the CB in port :-).

g35 thanks so much for the update. We won't be there until the very end of September so I'm hoping for a renovated room. But like you said for one night it won't matter, especially since the next day I'll be happy as a calm sipping cocktails on my balcony on the ship.

By the way, how did you enjoy your cruise? Hope it was wonderful.

Oh, just one more question. Did you use the hotel shuttle to the port and if so what time is good to head over to the ship?

Thanks again.

g35 thanks so much for the update. We won't be there until the very end of September so I'm hoping for a renovated room. But like you said for one night it won't matter, especially since the next day I'll be happy as a calm sipping cocktails on my balcony on the ship.

By the way, how did you enjoy your cruise? Hope it was wonderful.

Oh, just one more question. Did you use the hotel shuttle to the port and if so what time is good to head over to the ship?

Thanks again.

The cruise was fantastic - we had a great time!

Yes, we used the shuttle. I was a little miffed because we got to the hotel around noon and our room wasn't ready - they told use to be back in an hour. I asked about the shuttle and if I could sign up for it at this point and they said no, you have to wait until you check in. As I was leaving, I saw that a large group was coming in. We were back in about 15 min and shock, shock, the room was ready - and by that time the large group that I saw earlier filled up the 11a shuttle. So we took the noon shuttle, which of course got use to the port during the busiest time.

I don't know which cruise you are going on, but we sailed with Princess and although we didn't get to the port until 12:05, we were on the ship by 1:00. By the time we got to the terminal ( when we first got there the line was wrapped outside to the parking lot!) there was no one behind us. So if you get there after say 12:30-1p you won't have to wait much. Either way, the 1 hour wait wasn't bad - the line was moving constantly.

But the shuttle driver was very nice, we even made arrangements with him to have a car service meet us at the port when we returned.

We are going on the Caribbean Princess. This will be our third time on her in three years. Last year we flew in the day of the cruise and took the Princess transfer from the airport. They kept us waiting on the bus, I think because they were so busy at the port. When we got there the lines were still very long inside. There were two lines for our deck (Riviera) and of course I picked the slower of the two lines. It was after 2pm and we had been up since 4am with an early flight and I was tired and hungry.

So we decided no more flying in the day of if we can avoid it. Unfortunately our flight doesn't arrive til 3pm so I won't be able to sign up for the shuttle until late in the day. I guess if the early ones are full we'll think about taking a taxi. I was hoping to get to the port around 11am. From what I've read it seems to be a good time.

We are going on the Caribbean Princess. This will be our third time on her in three years. Last year we flew in the day of the cruise and took the Princess transfer from the airport. They kept us waiting on the bus, I think because they were so busy at the port. When we got there the lines were still very long inside. There were two lines for our deck (Riviera) and of course I picked the slower of the two lines. It was after 2pm and we had been up since 4am with an early flight and I was tired and hungry.

So we decided no more flying in the day of if we can avoid it. Unfortunately our flight doesn't arrive til 3pm so I won't be able to sign up for the shuttle until late in the day. I guess if the early ones are full we'll think about taking a taxi. I was hoping to get to the port around 11am. From what I've read it seems to be a good time.

I don't remember having to sign up for the shuttle. People just started lining up outside. They had 2 running that day so it wasn't a long wait. You should be ok

If you want his one go to Valuetrips. I got it for $99 a night in September but cancelled after I got *3 on the Beach for $70 a night plus tax/fees on Hotwire. It is Yankee Clipper. My sister got *3 on the beach for $70 plus tax/fees on Priceline. It is Yankee Trader. We must meet in the middle to go out to the sites I guess. :confused:

I'm curious, I called to book a room about 4 months ago and was told about the change to becoming a Hyatt Place. They told me they were no longer offering the breakfast or the happy hour. We were looking to stay there in December 2007.

Does anyone know if this info was correct?

I don't remember having to sign up for the shuttle. People just started lining up outside. They had 2 running that day so it wasn't a long wait. You should be ok

you definitely have to sign-up for the shuttle - they only allow 8-10 passengers on the shuttle. the sign-up sheet is right there on the check in desk. the earliest shuttle they have is 11a

I'm curious, I called to book a room about 4 months ago and was told about the change to becoming a Hyatt Place. They told me they were no longer offering the breakfast or the happy hour. We were looking to stay there in December 2007.

they didn't have a happy hour 2 weeks ago, but they still had breakfast. some cereal, muffins, bagels, fake eggs

Amerisuites never had a happy hour - you might be thinking of the Enbassy Suites. I think they still have it plus breakfast.

Ron

The cruise was fantastic - we had a great time!

Yes, we used the shuttle. I was a little miffed because we got to the hotel around noon and our room wasn't ready - they told use to be back in an hour. I asked about the shuttle and if I could sign up for it at this point and they said no, you have to wait until you check in. As I was leaving, I saw that a large group was coming in. We were back in about 15 min and shock, shock, the room was ready - and by that time the large group that I saw earlier filled up the 11a shuttle. So we took the noon shuttle, which of course got use to the port during the busiest time.

Well, we are the guilty party that filled the shuttle for 11:00 a.m.:o

We were a party of eight - each with two pieces of luggage and then carry-ons - we couldn't believe that they were telling people the room wasn't ready and they don't store luggage - a hotel that doen't store luggage???? :eek: Simply unheard of - we found the manager in the room next to the front desk and he arranged for luggage to be stored in the rooms to be assigned even though they weren't cleaned, but when the front desk called housekeeping - surprise - the rooms were ready afterall. The front desk never bothered to check - they just exected people to wait in the lobby until 3:00 - poor, poor customer service.

The rooms were in terrible shape - I totally overpaid. Best part about it was the location - lots of restaurants to choose from within walking distance - and the shuttle. The shuttle driver was very helpful, chatted with me when I was checking in and got me signed up for the 11:00 ride, and was great helping us in the morning. I hope they keep him after the remodel. I did sneak up to the 6th floor and checked out the new rooms - they look nice, very Pottery Barn - earthy and nuetral, but couldn't help thinking that they should have just razed the building and built a proper Hyatt... but all of that was soon forgotten, because the cruise was great!

I did sneak up to the 6th floor and checked out the new rooms - they look nice, very Pottery Barn - earthy and nuetral, but couldn't help thinking that they should have just razed the building and built a proper Hyatt...

They're going to be building a brand new Hyatt Place from the ground up this fall in the vicinity of the Sheraton FLL Airport on Griffin Road.

Archived