Two cruises in an inside cabin...or one cruise with a balcony???

micmacmissy

What would you rather do: one cruise in a balcony cabin, or two cruises in an inside cabin?

I like the logic of having two cruises for the price of one...but then I think, well, it's vacation after all, why shouldn't we splurge on oceanview or balcony?

What are your thoughts???

Its a no brainer for me because 95% of the time I book an inside

anyway.:)

This question varies from person to person as we are all on

different budgets.

There are folks on here who won't cruise without a balcony..period.

I am at the opposite end of the spectrum. I just want to

be on the ship and usually insides are what I can afford.

If I was to book a balcony I am not sure how often I would be

able to cruise again. ( I have had 3 but all were on special).

At least with an inside I know I can go 2 to 3 times a year:D

(Hey Lois - how ya' doin' - keep meaning to e-mail you, hope all is well crusin' buddy.)

Me - inside works for me. I just want to cruise and as long as I am furthest away from the water as I can get (highest deck), I am a happy camper! Love the outside cabins though and dh and I either go for a category 4 outside or 9 inside with Celebrity.

Still, any cabin over the office is my choice:D

Elaine!!! I will be in Vancouver in October:) ..cruising on Mercury.

(Inside cabin:D )

I think you will be in the Med on Galaxy though:eek: ;)

We are going to miss each other again!

Give my best to Ian:)

We are fortunate because we have discovered that inside cabins work very well for us. Like Max, we prefer higher up. That being said, we have inhabited fancier real estate on some of our sailings and enjoyed those experiences immensely. Being able to stretch the budget with an inside is a real benefit for us and since all the non-suite cabins are pretty much the same size, we have enjoyed these cabins. An additional plus is that we find we sleep incredibly soundly. However, we also realize that for some people (for instance, those who suffer from claustrophobia), this is just a non-starter.

Are you kidding? When would one cruise be better than two? :p

We liked to cruise often, that why we would book inside guarantee and get the best rate.

There were some cruises that required a balcony, like the Panama Canal and the Med.

My husband isn't a bit cruiser so I know I won't be able to cruise too often anyway. I will definitely get the balcony from now on. In fact, I am upgrading now and going with CC AFT cabin! Get it while I can!

Until I get a little more support from the significant other I'm going the best I can! Last cruise was November 2003. Next cruise will be January 2009.

Cheryl

What would you rather do: one cruise in a balcony cabin, or two cruises in an inside cabin?

I like the logic of having two cruises for the price of one...but then I think, well, it's vacation after all, why shouldn't we splurge on oceanview or balcony?

What are your thoughts???

No question we would pick two cruises regardless of the stateroom we were in.

I have to go with the inside cabin, and there's no need to limit it to one cruise or two. In some cases it may be three, or better yet--a B2B for less than the price of one cruise. There are so many reasons to choose an inside cabin, and many of the people have already listed a number of them.

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

However, we also realize that for some people (for instance, those who suffer from claustrophobia), this is just a non-starter.

I have a claustrophobic nature but never had this problem in an inside cabin, there are enough large mirrors to avoid that.

In the past we already booked outside, concierge class and inside cabins and now we only book inside, for two reasons : we only use the stateroom for sleeping, washing and changing clothes, and we can do more cruises for the same money.

This is a no brainer, definitely inside cabin and 2 cruises! A balcony is never worth 1 cruise for us. There is nothing wrong with large inside cabins and we have never issues with chairhogs. Reading a book on a aft terrace is soo relaxing. We find this far more better than a non-aft balcony.

We usually always book a balcony had 1 inside & we would never do it again. Everything depends upon your budget. If I was given a choice of 2 cruises inside over 1 cruise balcony I would have to go with the 2 inside. Cruising to anywhere is still better then not cruising.

That's the reason we can cruise four times a year. As a side note, you can really take a nice afternoon nap in an inside cabin.

We've become such an inside cabin couple that when we upgraded to a balcony on the Millennium last winter, we only went out there three times.

The only time we thought a balcony was really worth the cost, was cruising through the inside passage in Alaska.

We've never noticed any loss of service or access being in an inside cabin.

(example: we have been invited to the Captain's Table six of our eleven Celebrity cruises and once on HAL)

Enjoy!:)

Kel

Go for the inside if it means cruising twice as often.. But every once in a while a special pops up and we too will go for a balcony.. but not if it means not cruising as often. For three years running we will be spending a third of the year on Celebrity ships and sleeping in our inside cocoon.

.......and sleeping in our inside cocoon.

And that is exactly how it feels. Did it once and would never do it again. We found the rooms to be dingy with a strong, strong odor of cigarettes and basic stale air composed of body odor, cheap perfume and other nasty bathroom smells. The carpet was mildewed and everthing felt a little musty. There is something to be said for airing out cabins with fresh air etc.

For us we would rather take one cruise a year in a nice room with a balcony than be subjected to an inside room without fresh air and light. I guess its like saying you could do four land vacations a year and stay at a Motel 6 along the highway or do only one and stay at a beachfront resort. Since it is a vacation we would rather spend a little bit more and obtain more comfort.

To each their own but I sure would like to know what those people do from 7:30 AM to 11:00 PM when they say the only time they are in their rooms is to change, wash and sleep.

7:30 a.m. - 11 p.m. What will I do? What will I do?

Go to the T-Pool for some early morning swimming and relaxing.

Change clothes.

Breakfast - Eggs Benedict, bacon, bananas w/cream, fruit juice.

Walk around for a little while and enjoy the cool of the morning.

Breakfast Dessert - Waffles! Mmm!

Wander around and find my way to the 12th deck to get my favorite spot before it gets too crowded.

Lunch - Maybe in the dining room, maybe at the buffet, maybe at the Aqua Spa Cafe.

Wander around and visit with friends I've made via the Cruise Critic Roll Call. Have to walk off some of that food.

Go to the pool and swim and lounge a bit, maybe read.

Change clothes.

Go to an afternoon movie in Cinema 3.

Drop by the Cova Cafe and grab a pastry (I don't drink coffee). Need a little nurishment because late seating for dinner is still a few hours away.

Shower if necessary. Change clothes.

Stop by the Martini Bar (Don't drink alcohol) to visit with friends before dinner.

Go to dinner.

Go to a show in the Celebrity Theater.

Now, that is just one "At Sea" day. In port would involve a somewhat different agenda, but I think you get the idea.

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

I would rather take just one cruise a year with a balcony than two cruises without one.

There was a time when I though that a balcony was a waste of money, but that was before we ever had one. We booked our first cruise with a balcony six years ago, and since that time we have had a balcony on every cruise.

On the other hand, I can see why it would be less important to a person traveling solo because they probably spend less time in their cabin than we do.

My husband and I are preparing to go on our first cruise together -- and our first cruise as parents. Our son (age 4) will be coming along, and I can't imagine going without the balcony. The Little Guy does not pace himself particularly well, and after a full day of sun, fun and excitement, he's likely to conk out shortly after the early dinner seating -- which means that we're basically stuck in our stateroom for the entire evening. To many people, this sounds like a huge waste of a vacation, but I am SO looking forward to long, quiet evenings on the balcony, glass of wine in hand, the sound of tiny snores (a blessed sound to ALL parents of young children) quietly mixed with the sound of water lapping against the ship. So for us, one balcony cruise definitely beats two inside-cabin cruises.

I have always to pay a single supplement. Have been in Mini Suites on Princess CC on Celebrity Balcony on RCI and Celebrity Ocean view on Cunard and insides!

I did CC on Millennium in March Just got back from 12 night round trip Southampton to New York Southampton a great deal on the QM2. Booked for Century in October in an inside when I was on Millennium. I would not hesitate to book the QM2 again as I had a simply fantastic time. Entertainment was superior to X also they do afternoon tea in the Queen's Ballroom every afternoon and done exactly as it should be. Sometimes with a tea dance. Dancing every evening in the Queen's Ballroom the largest at sea with a big band night.

Arno With your love of dancing you would just love it. Yes she is large and a few things that I would say but very very few that X do a little bit different. Cunard these days not walked to your room but a FULL bottle of FRENCH sparkling wine in room not as they say on X Champagne which is not Champagne but a sparkling wine and not of the best quality. I also got a further bottle on the return journey from New York and they treated it as 2 seperate cruises.

Food was excellent and I could find no fault. Considering this holiday cost me £1200 for 12 nights it was tremendous value and remember this was for single occupancy for twin it was £699.

I have got quite a good deal on Century in October and yes it is in the MED but I have been to all the ports before as I have in most cruises having done the Baltic the Fjords the Caribbean Panama etc etc and the Med too numerous times to mention. I like the sea days and this is why I enjoy the T/A Did Golden Venice to NY. Galaxy Galvaston to Rome last spring and Millennium in March/April this year.

I just love to be on the ship as it is such a safe enviroment and considering I paid £100 a night for a 3* hotel in Dublin B&B a nice 3*.

Did I enjoy any of the cruises more depending on which rooms I was in absolutely not! Did I make good use of the CC on Millennium absolutely not. Went on to the balcony to see what the weather was like looked from the rail at times. Canapes I didn't eat> Sparkling wine I gave away to someone.

Decide what is more important to be on a balcony when you can go up on to the deck and use a lounger or if you can afford it then do the Balcony but not at the expense of missing another cruise. I do have the unusual circumstances and even when I cruise with a friend we each have our own room. She will only do balcony or higher. Because she keeps her door open and wants the fresh air. She got upgraded to a Sky Suite last September. Did I spend time on her balcony no I was sunning myself on the deck.

We are going again in October and would I rather share or have my own room. My own room every time

This means 3 cruises this year did 3 last year and for me I will always be lead by the price.

Would I rather do one cruise a year absolutely not!

Just my view

Sue

To each their own but I sure would like to know what those people do from 7:30 AM to 11:00 PM when they say the only time they are in their rooms is to change, wash and sleep.

The same as we did when we had a CC cabin, except having breakfast on the balcony, which we now have in the dining room.

By the way : you actually were joking, right ?

7:30 a.m. - 11 p.m. What will I do? What will I do?

Go to the T-Pool for some early morning swimming and relaxing.

Change clothes.

Breakfast - Eggs Benedict, bacon, bananas w/cream, fruit juice.

Walk around for a little while and enjoy the cool of the morning.

Breakfast Dessert - Waffles! Mmm!

Wander around and find my way to the 12th deck to get my favorite spot before it gets too crowded.

Lunch - Maybe in the dining room, maybe at the buffet, maybe at the Aqua Spa Cafe.

Wander around and visit with friends I've made via the Cruise Critic Roll Call. Have to walk off some of that food.

Go to the pool and swim and lounge a bit, maybe read.

Change clothes.

Go to an afternoon movie in Cinema 3.

Drop by the Cova Cafe and grab a pastry (I don't drink coffee). Need a little nurishment because late seating for dinner is still a few hours away.

Shower if necessary. Change clothes.

Stop by the Martini Bar (Don't drink alcohol) to visit with friends before dinner.

Go to dinner.

Go to a show in the Celebrity Theater.

Change for bed.

Now, that is just one "At Sea" day. In port would involve a somewhat different agenda, but I think you get the idea.

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

And my husband wonders why I have to pack so much stuff?? Did you notice all the clothes changes mentioned? Not to mention matching jewlery and shoes. Honestly I think I need a balcony this time just for the extra storage room:D

I love balconies, but if I have to choose 2 weeks with an inside cabin OR 1 week with a balcony (these are the only variables) I would go with 2 weeks!:)

The major downside with inside cabins, IMHO, are:

1) in morning, no idea what weather is like

2) typically a smaller cabin in square footage

3) can't go out on balcony for a drink, in morning, in afternoon prior to dinner, at night before going to bed, as you come into port, etc.

Absent the above, there is NO amenity in public areas that is restricted due to being in an inside cabin that I am aware of.

Have a great cruise or cruises!!! :)

Archived