Two cruises in an inside cabin...or one cruise with a balcony???

micmacmissy

This is one of those topics that many people will just have

to agree to disagree on:eek:

I remember when I got my first balcony. It was on Constellation in 2004

and for a solo I got a great deal. I had so many people tell me

"you will be spoiled forever and will never go back to anything else".

Hmmmm.....the only reason I booked it was because the price

was so low at the time.

I just didn't use the balcony much at all.

I have had 2 other balconies since that cruise. Everything else

was an inside..maybe a window once.

Those 2 balconies were 1) Summit....shared a cabin so the price

was less and the friend I sailed with is a balcony cruiser.

2) Millennium back in December....the amount for a balcony ended

up being only about 100.00 more than an inside.

I remember everyone on our roll call saying...do an upgrade...its

a steal.;) And that 100.00 was for a solo price so I got a good deal

on that one as well.

But as for the cruise experience being totally different?

That just depends on the person. My balcony sailings were

no different for me than my inside cabin sailings.

Finances are a major part of my decisions. Inside cabins

are the norm for me.

And they don't in any way, shape or form detract from

my cruise experience.

It all just depends on the person.

Lots of good points here.Never did an inside because I wake up with the light.Can sleep forever in the dark.I prefer balconies but on my last cruise they had an outside senior special for 549 and a balcony was 1100 had no choice but do the outside.

I have a claustrophobic nature but never had this problem in an inside cabin' date=' there are enough large mirrors to avoid that.

In the past we already booked outside, concierge class and inside cabins and now we only book inside, for two reasons : we only use the stateroom for sleeping, washing and changing clothes, and we can do more cruises for the same money.[/quote']

Interesting, I am claustrophobic as well. The thought of an inside cabin makes me feel creepy. My thoughts are that as soon as you turn off the light it would be pitch black! The thought that I wouldn't be able see out a window or door makes me feel very uncomfortable.

One wish, to not be claustophobic!!:o

Jillybean:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by sasset

Would you get one dinner at an upscale restaurant when you can get two dinners at Applebee's for less?

Quote:

Originally posted by fti:

That is partly my point - whether you get an inside or a balcony, you both eat at the SAME restaurant :-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by sasset

Even though all of the other ship's ammenities are the same, a balcony cabin vs. an inside is a different product and a different cruise experience.

Regards

Quote:

Originally posted by fti:

...for you.

Why not dine in casual dining every night? It's the same food as the dining room, you don't have to dress up, you go whenever you want to and you save over $100 in tipping on a 14 night cruise based on the tipping guidelines.

Once again, it's a different experience...for me.

Regards

I think same of you are missing the point of the OP. A simple question was asked. "would you book two cruises in an inside cabin vs booking a Balcony cabin?" The answer should be yes or no. If you book an inside cabin you should not be considered a second class passenger and if you book a balcony you should not feel they belong to the upper crust...Can't we all get along.

Well, sort of. We have been on a bunch of cruises starting in May '03. It would probably be half as many, or less if we booked balconies. It boils down to the amount of money one has, or is willing to spend. I'm a professional making pretty good money, but I don't have enough expendible income to do balconies all the time. I'd love it, but I'd rather have more cruises with a lesser room.

We had a balcony one time and loved it. We got that one with a free upgrade from outside to balcony. I can see where folks would get spoiled to balcony cabins, fast. We want to do that again sometime. We had a prime balcony booked on a trans-Atlantic in Sept 07, but had to cancel. We have have had outside cabins a couple of times too, but usually insides. If the price is right, or if $$ is there, we'd do a balcony again, but it won't hurt our feelings if we end up inside again. Many times we save enough by taking an inside cabin to more than pay for our shore excursions.

Ken

We actually prefer interior cabins, especially lower-midships. Less rocking and easier to take afternoon naps. Interior cabins often have more floor space available since the beds are pushed back against the back wall rather than having to allow walking space to access the balcony. We had a balcony once and found that it was either too windy or hot (in the Caribbean) to sit there for any length of time. Since we LIKE interior cabins, the choice is clear for us and we can afford to travel more often. However, I am glad that so many people prefer the suites and outside cabins. This leaves more rooms for us. Thanks.:)

What would you rather do: one cruise in a balcony cabin, or two cruises in an inside cabin?

What are your thoughts???

2 cruises in an inside cabin wins everytime if you ask me. We do not spend much time in our stateroom. We sleep and get dressed.

It's not worth it to me to spend more money for just a balcony. My husband feels the same way as I do. You have to figure out how much time you wil spend on the balcony and is it worth the price increase you will pay.

Celebrity is somewhat unique because the size of its inside, outside, and standard balcony cabins are identical, but that is not true of all main stream cruise lines. On some cruise lines the inside cabins are considerably smaller than one that has a balcony.

In addition, there are some cruise lines where choice of cabin affects one's overall cruise experience in other parts of the ship, as well. Cunard ships have several different dining rooms that vary significantly in quality, and your cabin's category determines which dining room is assigned to you.

I personally feel that cabin makes up about 20% of the entire cruise experience. Therefore, to go from the lowest category to a highly desirable cabin shouldn't cost much more than 20% more, in my opinion. For the other 80% of what you're getting, they are absolutely the same!!! If I really wanted to splurge, I could see saying that having a balcony cabin was worth 50% more than an inside. I really DON'T think it is worth double. That doesn't mean I won't spend double for a balcony -- I just won't consider it a good deal, whereas I would consider the inside an incredibly good deal...

We used to do ONLY balcony rooms. When we went to Alaska we did INSIDE and loved it. Slept well. Now we ONLY do inside and now we love to do 2 cruises for the price of the one.

marlene

Celebrity is somewhat unique because the size of its inside, outside, and standard balcony cabins are identical, but that is not true of all main stream cruise lines. On some cruise lines the inside cabins are considerably smaller than one that has a balcony.

In addition, there are some cruise lines where choice of cabin affects one's overall cruise experience in other parts of the ship, as well. Cunard ships have several different dining rooms that vary significantly in quality, and your cabin's category determines which dining room is assigned to you.

You are 100% correct, but since the question was posed on the Celebrity site we should compare Apples to Apples not Apples to Rainer Cherries (my favorite).

W have always been outside on a lower floor. I would be fine with an inside and my husband would like to try a balcony. Personally the only time I am in my room is to sleep or change clothes, so why pay more? The staff is equally as wonderfull, my stateroom attendant from the 3rd floor was working cc class on my second.

It's up to you. If you can think of better ways to spend the money than go for the inside (bar, excursions, gifts).

I would take two inside any day but, you left out one outside with lots of extra money to spend on your trip.

On every Celebrity Cruise we have booked, with the exception of sky suites on C class ships, the cost of our balcony cabin was less than twice the cost of an inside one, so the two for one option wouldn't have applied to us. Even though we paid considerably more for sky suites on C class ships, it was worth it to us because those cabins are significantly larger and include additional amenities.

In my opinion, since a passenger has to pay a certain amount to take a cruise in the first place, it is worth it to pay extra for things that will enhance one's overall enjoyment of that cruise.

Everyone has their own priorities as to what is important to them on a cruise, but our's include a nicer cabin, flying to the port city at least a day in advance, and paying extra for a non stop flight when possible.

I don't care if it's only enough of a savings so that I can cruise 3 times every two years instead of twice. It's worth it to me. I know that our TA cruise aboard Millenium, with an inside cabin, is 1/4 the cost of our Panama Canal Cruise, with a balcony (Thank you Mom).

Here are the things that are important to me, when cruising, in order of importance.

1. Going on a cruise with my wonderful wife of 31 years.

2. Going on a cruise with my wonderful wife of 31 years.

3. Going on a cruise with my wonderful wife of 31 years.

4. Joining friends I have met on other cruises and friends I have made on the Cruise Critic message boards.

5. Visiting places I've never been.

6. Enjoying the food and entertainment.

7. Wandering around the places I've never visited before. I'm not a big fan of organized tours and ship shore excursions.

8. The Thalasotherapy pool.

I'm sure there are more, but that's a good start.

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

I love to save money, but I also love being able to look out my own window or sit on my own balcony and see the ocean, the islands, the beauty of what I went on vacation for. Some things are worth the money, a balcony is one. I would have missed a beautiful view of the Statue of Liberty when we returned from Bermuda July 28 if I hadn't had a balcony. We came in much earlier than predicted and I just happened to be up and looking outside in time to grab my camera as we sailed by.

Have fun on your trips.:)

For me, it depends on the itinerary. For a Caribbean cruise where scenery isn't as important, I've done an inside stateroom. But for my recent Alaska cruise, I had to have my own personal view of all the amazing scenery. For instance, when we were at Hubbard Glacier, people were incredibly rude shoving to get the best places on the rail.

My husband likes to have a window so he can see the horizon when waters get rough. I also like to know what time of day it is. :)

2 cruises in an inside cabin wins everytime if you ask me. We do not spend much time in our stateroom. We sleep and get dressed.

It's not worth it to me to spend more money for just a balcony. My husband feels the same way as I do. You have to figure out how much time you wil spend on the balcony and is it worth the price increase you will pay.

Absolutely!!!

Until we can cruise in off weeks and get really cheap prices for balcony we are cruising inside... It's so nice to sleep late in complete darkness!

Oh.. and we can't fall from the balkony. :p

As I have posted a zillion times already...we sail in May 08 to Alaska ... cc balcony!!!!

Pushed off a balcony:confused: Fall off a balcony:confused:

Okay, we'll just strap ourselves to the sliding glass door handle or smething...:D

Happy Cruisin' to ya'll. Happynewbie

Archived