Document poll

Hilary

What do you do with your cruise docs after the cruise?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. What do you do with your cruise docs after the cruise?

• Throw them away
    • Keep them for awhile, then throw them away
    • Keep them and put them in an album or scrapbook
    • Keep them somewhere in my house

Hilary,

You know from other thread that I save mine -- put them in a scrapbook with everything else that I save from the cruise, which is just about everything that I can get my hands on and that will fit into a scrapbook, with of course my photos. It becomes a day by day account of everything that we did, saw, ate (at least the memorable food). Seeing all those things months and years later really brings back the memories.

I am a compulsive "thrower outer." Can't understand people who save things. The only thing I've saved from 35 years of marriage and two kids is my wedding topper, dress, veil, his bowtie, plus one box of stuff for each kid. And that's it.

By the time we are ready to pack that last night, we have a collection of all kinds of paper stuff that we elect to keep. From the daily ships news whatever, to the brochures of places that we liked and will go back to, our cruise docs and maybe some other thing, like a menu or cruise card. Each cruise is in its own separate bag and we can "remember" all of the things that we "forgot" that made each cruise what it was. I know the kids won't want them, so they can toss them when we die.

Jim

We don't have any kids, so for sure all our scrapbooks will get tossed when we're gone, but in the meantime we love being able to look at them, and we even have several friends who look forward to seeing our new scrapbook after each cruise. But who knows, maybe ultimately after we die the scrapbooks will end up on eBay. I recently bought a scrapbook on eBay that was put together by someone in my old home town 50-60 years ago, and it is absolutely fascinating to me.

After each X cruise so far, I have taken a big manila envelope and filled it with the cruise docs, luggage tags, receipts, the daily bulletins & "port info" printouts, etc. This is more for our kid than for me -- we went on three cruises when I was a child and I find myself wishing like crazy right now that my mom had saved some of this type of information about our travels so I could peruse it later ...

I saved my last docs for over a year. Finally decided to work on the scrapbook pages for that trip and so I cut some stuff out of them and threw the rest away. After reading what some of you said above, now I kinda wish I saved it. Oh well! Next cruise!

That was my most recent complaint -- got edocs for the first time, for our next cruise. It's going to be a real struggle to find anything in them worth putting into a scrapbook. Maybe just cut out the basic info and use that.

If I hadn't saved my docs from our 1983 cruise, I would never remember that we paid a total of $1.930 for both of us for a 7-night cruise (to and from Mexico) in an outside cabin (small, but outside) and 7 days and nights in Mexico with a tour guide and transportation for the entire week, including hotels. Seemed expensive then; seems cheap now.

I've saved lots of mine. Wish I had saved them all. Makes me smile every time I bump into them. I really like the new docs that are bundled in the little binder, but not quite as romantic/glamorous (?) as the old. I guess they will be cool too in 10 or 20 years when we get rid of paper and get into luggage chips and retinal scanners. LOL

this is an oxymoron....we are also "thrower outers" and "save" all of our cruise stuff and book it.

I thank CC for the idea of saving, we began at day 1 of cruise 1, now not everything but a good deal of memories go into the books.

We also included our doc's but as we now have swithched to the ta that Missylou (post 13) uses, I guess we will be getting e-doc's now...:(

Just got a notice regarding a class action lawsuit against another cruise line that I sailed on 15 years ago. To receive any type of settlement, you need to provide the date you sailed, the booking number, the cabin number & the name of the TA who booked it. Being a thrower outter, I have none of that stuff. Not that it matters, the settlement is a $20 on board credit or $7.50 in cash. Sooooo, now you have justification for keeping all your cruise documents!

Archived