Captain Pagonis---Century?

Ships R Great

I am trying to figure out if Capt. Pagonis will be on Century in Jan. '08. Can anyone who has sailed on Century in the last several months post if he was on board. Please give the month you sailed. Thanks for your help.

Patty

Hi Patty:

I doubt it. He was on holidays last January.

here is the link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=11051507#post11051507

or check my signature:

Arno

We're on Century now. Captain Mitropoulos indeed took over from Captain Pagonis in Helsinki. Captain Pagonis told us at the Captain's table that he and Captain Mitropoulos share command of Century on a 14-week on, 14-week off schedule. Captain Pagonis will return to Century mid-November. Dru Pavlov (from Canada) is Cruise Director, Mahalia (from The Netherlands) is the Captain's Club Hostess.

Floris

Hi Patty:

I doubt it. He was on holidays last January.

here is the link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=11051507#post11051507

or check my signature:

Arno

Well, shoot! That is a BIG disappointment. I was hoping he would be there. He is such a nice person.

But (hope springs eternal) Floris says he will be back mid-November. 14 weeks doesn't translate exactly into 3 months. Maybe there will be a little wiggle room to keep him on board until the end of January.

I hope, I hope, I hope---as I click my heels together!

He was our captain in April 2007--5 day Carib--He was wonderful--really cared abt the passengers & tried so hard to get us into a port in bad winds..keping us informed all the way. Sorry he won't be on board when we return to Century in Sept.

Capt. P, was on Century in June, and I am hoping he will also be on in December. I haven't seen him since he has gotten his hair cut!:D He is such a nice guy.

Hi Jeanne, 4 months:). I don't think I know this Capt. Sounds

like a nice man.

See you in December:D

Are you sure that is Capt Pagonis? On my recent Journey cruise Capt Anastasios Lekkas was famous for his sign off "bye for now"
Captain Lekkas is the "bye for now" captain. My last two cruises have been with the above named captains. I remember Pagonis for being incredibly friendly. I remember Lekkas for the Bye for now that got a standing ovation on our last day of the cruise.

The last 3 times I was on the Century, the ship's captain was Pagonis. He is the most charming man with a great smile. A super nice person. I would love to sail with him again some day. :)

CinWin

Sorry, ladies, I can understand your liking for Captain Pagonis, but he was our Captain on the Baltic Cruise form 21 July to 2 August 2007 and was displaced right in the middle of the cruise in Helsinki without any anouncement or good-bye, kind of strange. There came no explanation of the reason for his dismissal.

After his successor took the command of the ship, everything ran much more efficiently and a defect of a stabilizer was finally repaired. He kept the staff busy to bring things in order. He did not socialize at all (he didn't show up at the Captain's table on the last formal night, instead the hotel director was his substitute) but ran the ship.

You may draw your own conclusions from this story.

Sounds like there are at least two "bye for now" Captains. Captain Pagonis definitely concluded his noon announcements this way on our July 2007 Norway/Arctic Circle cruise.

The line must be a new requirement in the Captain's handbook. How did you like the Norway/Arctic cruise. I am booked on that cruise in July of 2007. I had planned on the Med but my 19 and 16 year old really wanted the Arctic. If you have posted anything about this on another thread let me know.

I think it is not unusal for officers to leave a cruise mid-cruise unannounced. They normally have a short overlap with their replacement and then take thier scheduled vacation.

If the president of the company you work for decides to take a vacation, I sure he does not send an email to everyone in the company and all his clients that he will be gone.

I think on the cruise you mentioned that Floris already posted on another thread that captain left the ship for his scheduled vacation.

Hello,

We just returned from a fabulous b2b on Century, the North Cape & Arctic Circle cruise followed by the Scandinavia & Russia cruise. Captain Pagonis indeed left on vacation in Helsinki; he told us he will be back after 14 weeks, mid-November, doing the final Mediterranean cruise followed by the Trans Atlantic and the Caribbean season.

Captain Pagonis definitely uses 'Bye for now', both in his noon-announcements, as well as in his announcements 15 minutes before sail away. He does a lot more announcements then any Captain I have ever sailed with (sometimes even 4 per day), continuously pointing out highlights along the way.

I don't think 'bye for now' is scripted, since the replacement Captain never used it, and immediately fell back into the standard routine of just 1 announcement per day, at 12 noon: "the noon position of this ship was bla bla bla". Very dull compared to what we had gotten used to...

Best Regards,

Floris

Archived