Pros & Con to handicapped room?

Why would they be entitled to be bumped to a larger cabin? What if: the accessible cabin is a certain category and is booked by someone able-bodied...and then a disabled person needs it...and there are no "larger" cabins available to the able-bodied cabin holder except for the really large suites? Are you suggesting they be entitled to a free upgrade to a presidential family suite or owners suite for the cost of an inside just because they snagged an accessible cabin early and then a disabled person needs it? Unfortunately your scenario would only encourage more able-bodied people to book the accessible cabins to obtain incredible free upgrades.

How many of these same people would book the accessible cabin if they knew they'd get bumped to a smaller cabin if a disabled person needed their cabin (even better...bumped smaller without a refund of the fare)!? Would they continue to have the attitude that "there aren't that many disabled people who want to cruise anyway, so what's the harm"? I doubt it!

Until "selfish" and "rude" are considered disabilities, then able-bodied people (and the cruiselines) need to leave the accessible cabins for those who NEED them - until every other cabin in that category is already sold, or very close to sailing date, so the ship doesn't have to sail with empty cabins.

Sorry...if you read the line about 3-4 lines above, you'll see that I originally said equivalent or higher. This is no different that booking a GTY. All I was trying to say was that booking an HC room would be like booking a GTY. You either get the room you booked, or if it was needed by a HC person, then you would get an equivalent (if available) or an upgrade.

The idea was that it should be handled like a GTY.

The bulkhead seating comment was interesting. On our last flight we were told that the bulkhead first priority was infants that require bassinets. This is where the hooks are for these on many international flights.

Some planes do have bulkhead exit rows. It was funny on the last flight a rather older frail women was in the row and really refused to move when approached with the requirements of an exit row. Finally a young man came up (who could have been her grandson) and took a seat with her telling the stewardess he would help in an emergency.

Also on this flight we were approached by the stewardess and asked if there was an emerency to not try to get off the plane. Once she knew the exit slides were in place, she would come to take us off the plane.

Hebe if I am not mistaken the lady who posted the comment in question has a seeing eye dog which does give her (and you - you are Hero's can opener right?) a priority - some airlines actually post their seats which they can use for HC / PC flyers on their seating plans. Most are not at bulk heads.

As to the old lady in the exit row - well the FA should have insisted on her move or if not leave the plane since she is a saftey hazard and any passenger who is not happy with her staying there is allowed to bring the incident to the attention of the FAA which turns this into an official incident. To be honest however the only passengers who will notice and really take offence are those who have had and survived some kind of aviation accident and are really aware of what an evacuation means.

Sorry...if you read the line about 3-4 lines above, you'll see that I originally said equivalent or higher. This is no different that booking a GTY. All I was trying to say was that booking an HC room would be like booking a GTY. You either get the room you booked, or if it was needed by a HC person, then you would get an equivalent (if available) or an upgrade.

The idea was that it should be handled like a GTY.

Then let them book a GTY. This thread was started by someone who got an accessible cabin because they booked a GTY. Sorry if I'm really not following your line of thinking. The system is already broken enough, in my opinion.

Accessible cabins shouldn't be "up for grabs" until all other cabins in that category are filled, or close to sailing.

Let's say Passenger A wants an accessible cabin just for the extra room. They book an accessible balcony cabin, and pay the cabin fare* . Then someone who is disabled (Passenger B) comes along and wants to book an accessible balcony cabin. At this point, all the accessible balcony cabins are taken (perhaps ALL by able-bodied people :eek: ) but there are "regular" balcony cabins available. Passenger B can't use one of those, and the agent tells them...oh, but there's an accessible suite available. Passenger B books the accessible suite and pays the higher fare *.

Now Passenger A (or many Passengers A) got a bigger cabin(s) without paying extra*, and Passenger B was forced to pay extra for something they didn't want (a suite). *

In my research for our upcoming cruise, I looked into the sizes of accessible balcony cabins vs. accessible jr. suites on Explorer of the Seas. This is what I found:

E2 Accessible:

Cabin: 275 sq. ft.

Balcony: 42 sq. ft.

JS Accessible:

Cabin: 276 sq. ft.

Balcony: 69 sq. ft.

E2 Not Accessible

Cabin: 173 sq. ft.

Balcony: 47 sq. ft

JS Not Accessible

Cabin: 277 sq. ft.

Balcony: 69 sq. ft

So again, some able-bodied people would be getting a cabin the SIZE of a Junior Suite without paying extra*, and some disabled people would have to pay the fare for a Junior Suite* just to get an accessible cabin. Yes, the balcony is larger in the suite, and yes, some people choose to pay more for an accessible JS because they want the bigger balcony. But why should someone be FORCED to pay the extra fare* when cabins built for them are being used for people who don't need them?

:mad: :eek: For that matter, let me book a Royal Suite for the cost of an inside, and until someone else is willing to come along and pay the full fare for the Royal Suite, it's mine. I mean, I got to it first, right? I should only have to be bumped down one cabin level at a time until I get the best available cabin on the ship for my inside cabin fare. It's my reward for booking early, and I'm entitled.:eek: :mad:

*(As of right now, the fare for the JS is $250/pp more than the fare for the balcony cabin on the cruise I'm taking)

The bulkhead seating comment was interesting. On our last flight we were told that the bulkhead first priority was infants that require bassinets. This is where the hooks are for these on many international flights.

US law requires that disabled ppl who need the bulkhead (if not an exit row, of course) or other accessible-to-them seat have priority over other passengers. This covers all flights going out of and coming into the US. Even if an airline had a rule saying babies in bassinets have priority, disabled passengers still have first priority over such infants.

That being said, I've done a lot of domestic and international flying and have never seen a bassinet on a plane before. That's pretty neat that they have them!

Some planes do have bulkhead exit rows. It was funny on the last flight a rather older frail women was in the row and really refused to move when approached with the requirements of an exit row. Finally a young man came up (who could have been her grandson) and took a seat with her telling the stewardess he would help in an emergency.

I am really surprised they let her stay there! It sounds like that was a violation of the FAA rule for safety.

Also on this flight we were approached by the stewardess and asked if there was an emerency to not try to get off the plane. Once she knew the exit slides were in place, she would come to take us off the plane.

Were you in the exit row, as well? Or was she saying this bec. the frail lady refused to move?

They should just require a doctors note to book a HC cabin. Just like for a military discount you need to show proof, you should have to show proof of need for a HC cabin.

the first time we sailed rccl, we needed a balcony for us and an inside for our kids. This was directly thru rccl. They booked the kids across from us in an HC cabin. Nobody in our family is handicapped.

Well anyway looking at the deck plans as I was on the phone with them, I was like, nice size room for 3 kids, good price etc etc.

A few days later I was showing my husband the deck plans online and all of a sudden realized that the inside cabin for my kids was a HC cabin.

I have no idea why I didn't realize it as the rccl person was booking it, but I didn't. So I called back to tell them I needed to change it as we didn't require an HC cabin. The rccl person went on to tell me, it's fine you can leave it. It will be nice for your kids to have all that extra room:confused:

A few days later, a cabin on a higher deck that we originally wanted opened up and we switched both cabins. At that point another rccl person told me well I can't get you a hc cabin, so maybe you don't want to switch because that room is really a nice size for your 3 kids:confused:

I changed because we wanted to and honestly I feel it's a bad thing to do, take an HC cabin when we don't need it.

But the thing is, I couldn't understand what was up with these people from rccl. We've sailed other lines and I never attempted to book an hc cabin just because it was bigger and I could.

So I think the major complaint lies with rccl. They don't care one way or the other if you are handicapped or not. For them it's all about selling off the cabin.

They should just require a doctors note to book a HC cabin. Just like for a military discount you need to show proof, you should have to show proof of need for a HC cabin.

And they require proof of my service dog's training, so I don't see what the difference between that and a doc's note for an HC cabin would be.

The rccl person went on to tell me, it's fine you can leave it. It will be nice for your kids to have all that extra room:confused:
At that point another rccl person told me well I can't get you a hc cabin, so maybe you don't want to switch because that room is really a nice size for your 3 kids:confused:

:eek: That is horrible that they told you those things!!!

I'm glad you switched the cabin! But RCCL's own ppl shouldn't be saying such things!

Enjoy the room. RCCL doesn't open handicapped rooms up until it gets closer to sailing and a handicapped person doesn't need it. It's not like if you say you don't want that room that they're going to give it to a handicapped person. They're just going to assign it to some in a guaranty cabin.

I can't think of any negative.

Are they a little different, yes. Are they wider, yes.

Showers have no or very little lip to hold in water. The current does help with water direction. We have had HC rooms twice and we put out a towel next to shower and it stopped water from escaping shower area. The vanity is lower and there are safety bars to use if needed.

As to a posters smell issue, I think you can have that in ANY room depending on the previous passengers over time. They are some rude and crude people sailing and you never know. I have had a bad smell in a regular bathroom where the toilet was not venting correctly. It took two days to fix. I have also had a bad smoke smell in room from a previous passenger.

I would hope cruise lines would keep them in reserve in case a HC'd person in looking to sail till very close to sail time.

On our cruise on the Splendour of the seas we arrived at the pier very early.We were the first ones in line as a matter of fact.We wanted to try and upgrade our room.The only upgrade they had available was a H/C room on deck 3 OV.We had to pay extra to upgrade to that room because we had booked an inside.So you just can't get a better room without paying for it if it's an upgrade,H/C or not(unless the cruise line upgrades you of course).Since I was not taking the room from someone who needed it I did not feel guilty at all.I have a friend who lost a leg in a motorcylce accident and when he asks for a H/C room he has to send proof of his handicap.But how far in advance they should release them is up to them,it's their company and they make the rules.Just my 2 cents.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hebe viewpost.gif

Were you in the exit row, as well? Or was she saying this bec. the frail lady refused to move?

No --- we were on the bulkhead with a baby in a bassette. We have traveled a lot of international flights with babies. The Stewardess was doing this as part of the pre-flight take off procedures. She said not to panic and she would do everything she could to get us off the plane.

I just booked a wa cabin on the navigator this week for thanksgiving week. I was shocked that I was actually able to book a handicapped room. My husband has multiple sclerosis and uses a scooter. This is the first time we have ever been able to get a handicapped room and this will be our 10th cruise. Last year on jewel we had a regular balcony and it was really tough trying to get the scooter through the door and then there was no room inside. We were never able to sit on the couch the whole 8 days because that's where the scooter was parked to charge. There are only 8 balcony handicapped rooms on voyager class ships. I think it's pathetic that people try to book them as soon as they're released.

I must add that I booked directly with rc and there were no questions asked so I told them about my husband. I do think that rc should require a doctors note and only release the cabins about 4-6 weeks before sailing.

We are so looking forward to this cabin, it will make everything so much easier.

For those who book these rooms just for the extra space, SHAME ON YOU.

I wish you would join a mobility impaired person for a day and maybe that would change your mind. And by the way my husband is only 44 and has neede his scooter for 5 years already, so it's not only the elderly who have issues.

• 4 months later...

All I can say is Thank God you don't NEED a handicap cabin. Be glad you have two legs to walk on, two usable hands, two ears to hear and two eyes to see.

We had a handicap room booked, my DH was in a wheelchair. He needed every bit of the extra room. One cruise we where almost not able to take because there where no triple HC rooms open. We got lucky and a nice couple who also used a wheelchair changed rooms with us.

I had a HC room booked for a cruise in two weeks, I lost my DH this July. One of the first things I did was release the HC room so someone who needed it could use it.

I understand the OP did not ask for the room, (this time) but so many people do. They like the extra room without paying the extra price for upgrade. Thing is the cruisepeople do not check and make sure the proper people are using these rooms. As long as they sell the room. I am not talking about the OP but some people get a handicap room just like the OP and then they find out they like them, like the extra room and from then on ask for Hc rooms.

I myself, because I know what EXTRA"S a real person with disablity's have to live with would feel quilty using a Hc room.

I think everyone should live as a quad for a day. Starting with doctors and then politicans. Don't get me started. LOL

P.S. last cruise we had a front corner Hc room. The weather was ruff rained for 3 days. We where rocked to sleep every night. Another thing I hate the raised seats on the toilet.

I booked a handicapped cabin in Sept 07 for a Jan. 08 cruise and in Dec received a call from Special Needs asking me for a letter from the doctor justifying my need for a HC cabin.

Never having had that happen before I responded immediately with the necessary documentation along with a letter citing HIPPA privacy requirements.

I assumed they were looking to re-assign the cabin.

They did email me stating that they would provide the necessary items I cited and there was no problem retaining the cabin.

All I can say is Thank God you don't NEED a handicap cabin. Be glad you have two legs to walk on, two usable hands, two ears to hear and two eyes to see.

We had a handicap room booked, my DH was in a wheelchair. He needed every bit of the extra room. One cruise we where almost not able to take because there where no triple HC rooms open. We got lucky and a nice couple who also used a wheelchair changed rooms with us.

I had a HC room booked for a cruise in two weeks, I lost my DH this July. One of the first things I did was release the HC room so someone who needed it could use it.

I understand the OP did not ask for the room, (this time) but so many people do. They like the extra room without paying the extra price for upgrade. Thing is the cruisepeople do not check and make sure the proper people are using these rooms. As long as they sell the room. I am not talking about the OP but some people get a handicap room just like the OP and then they find out they like them, like the extra room and from then on ask for Hc rooms.

I myself, because I know what EXTRA"S a real person with disablity's have to live with would feel quilty using a Hc room.

I think everyone should live as a quad for a day. Starting with doctors and then politicans. Don't get me started. LOL

P.S. last cruise we had a front corner Hc room. The weather was ruff rained for 3 days. We where rocked to sleep every night. Another thing I hate the raised seats on the toilet.

AMEN:

I am the mother of a 21 y/o young man wheelchair bound due to Spina Bifida. Add to that handicap, renal failure. He has had a long life for 21 years, and nothing fries me more than an AB person, using facilities designed for people who can't use a standard size door, larger parking space, so the wheelchair life=t doesn't ram the vehicle next to it. During Christmas shopping this year, I watched a very youthful young woman run from her car, and go into Walmart. She of course, parked in a handicapped space. Me being in the spirit of giving, decided I would bestow upon her a present. I pulled the LARGE vehicle, with wheelchair lift, and my son, in behind her, and waited. Parking lot security stopped and asked if there was a problem, and I told him yes there as, and explained the situation. Police came, a ticket was being issued as the young lady came out of the store. She was upset and gave the excuse, I was only in for a minute, what does it matter. While it may not make a big difference where most people park, some of us need that little extra to help with the day to day. When I am by myself, I don't use the tags, the spaces, etc.

My point being, just because it there, it's bigger it's closer, doesn't mean it is better. Consider the person they are designed for, imagine their daily life, and appreciate that you don't have to live it.. Go ahead those of you who think that what I did was harsh. Perhaps, next time she think of others before herself. Isn't that what Christmas is suppose to be about??

Sarahsmom85: I just want to express my condolences to you. It sounds like you and your DH made the most of the time you had together. I'm certain that those cherished memories will help you through this difficult time. My heart goes out to you and your family.

beachchick

Archived