Pros & Con to handicapped room?

[quote name='DonnaK']I'm so glad to see your post! The person you are commenting on was VERY rude to me on another post and I am still shaking my head in disbelief. While I'm sorry he was rude to you too, I'm relieved that it isn't just me.[/quote]

DO report them by clicking the red triangle upper right hand side of their post. I want the administrators to see that there is a trend developing here.

[quote name='johnjen']DO report them by clicking the red triangle upper right hand side of their post. I want the administrators to see that there is a trend developing here.[/quote]

Done. Now, how do I put someone on my ignore list? I wasn't aware of this option.

MaryEBS, the situation you describe where you were contacted is unique. Ndsumfun is correct--the cruise lines do not flag wheelchair accessible staterooms and they don't ususally don't contact the people in those staterooms to find out if they are disabled and/or to move them (Carnival seems to be the exception in this regard--NOT Royal Caribbean). This issue has been discussed quite extensively on the Disabled forum of CC.

My brother is disabled and requires a wheelchair accessible stateroom. We have never been asked to provide a doctor's note by Royal Caribbean. There have been several cruises that we could not book because we were told no wheelchair accessible staterooms were available. Most of the time we book a year or more out, but we sometimes will try to take advantage of a promotion or special. These are cruises which are typically two to three months out. We have talked with Special Needs in all of these cases and each time ask if the passengers staying in the wheelchair accessible staterooms are disabled or if they could please check. Each time we have been told that they cannot check--they assume that someone in a wheelchair accessible stateroom needs it. The last time this occurred was in early December, when I tried to book a late January four day cruise on the Splendour. Again after being told by Special Needs that Royal Caribbean could not/would not check the status of the passengers booked in the staterooms, we went through each sailing after that and found that it was not until the first sailing in April that a wheelchair accessible stateroom was availble. (And we were Diamond status, so apparently that isn't enough to get them to check.)

This is the same experience that many of the postings on the disabled board have had as well, in regard to getting the cruise line to check. So it is a rare exception when Royal Caribbean or any of the other cruise lines will do this (and I'm not singling out Royal Caribbean, as I said, the same is true for other cruiselines, including Princess, Holland America, and Costa--only Carnival seems to be willing to check).

I believe the sailing that the OP is on is in September, so apparently these staterooms are being released earlier than 30 days before sailing. I agree with ndsumfun that I cannot support anyone specifically requesting a wheelchair accessible stateroom that doesn't need one.

However, the OP did book on a guarantee and did not request the assignment. I'm not certain that the OP can even turn down the assignment or request a different stateroom, since the OP did book on a guarantee. I had a friend who booked on a guarantee and was given an obstructed balcony (it was a balcony guarantee). She had booked directly with Royal Caribbean. When she tried to change it to one of the open balcony staterooms in the same category (which was the lowest balcony category) Royal Caribbean customer service told her that she could not because it was a guarantee assignment.

I think people who have ever traveled in a wheelchair or travel with someone in a wheelchair have a first hand appreciation of the challenges of travel and what it means to have a wheelchair assessable room.

As I read posts, you start to form a pattern to people.

1) You have the AB who get assigned a wheelchair room at the last minute by the cruise line because they book a gty room. I really have no problem with this. As someone who needs to book a wheelchair room, I know I no longer can take advantage of last minute deals and will book a room months in advance to be able to get one. If you get one enjoy, it does have it pros and cons. If you ever experience a rocky cruise, and have to mop up the bathroom floor, you will know what not having a shower lip means. If you do enjoy the space, do not become a number 2 or 3 below.

2) You the AB who have something wrong or different so they think this give you the right to book this room. For example, I cruised with a person whose bagged about the handicap rooms they had in the past. His justification was that his wife did not have 20 / 20 vision so she was disabled. You also read the post from the person whose husband was tall so she felt they needed the extra room. You have people who I will call fluffy in size. I had one of these in the wheelchair room next to me on my last cruise. You have people with stiff knees who think that is a reason to have a handicap room. These people totally P my off since they will never move if someone in a wheelchair needs it -- cause they feel they are there for a reason.

3) You have the AB who knowing book a handicap room because the want the space -- period. They sometimes like to use the terms -- oh I will move if someone needs it -- and would be the first person on this board complaining if they did get a call to move and the new room was not as good or better than what they gave up. I even seen people post that if they had to move -- they were told by their travel agent that they would get upgraded to a suite. All I can say to these people -- what goes around comes around in the balance of the universe.

4) I do understand that some people have balance problems and standing in the shower on a bumpy cruise could be dangerous. In these cases, you may not need a wheelchair assessable room. An option that can be used is a regular room with a request to special services for a shower seat. The extra door width and room to pull a wheelchair into the bathroom or next to the bed is essential for someone in a wheelchair. You never realize that until you get invited to someone room for socialization, and realize you not able to even get through the door. Or if you can manage that you have to roll across the bed and loaded back into your chair on the other side to get to the balcony. Also if you can walk and need to take a wheelchair for distances in the port, do you really need a handicap room if all your are going to do is walk into the room, fold it up, and store it.

5) Cruise line agents are as bad as anyone. Due to their lack of knowledge, they give handicap rooms to AB by mistake. I have seen this a few times with people who book back to backs. Because they are trying to keep people from moving between cruises, this looks like a great opportunity to find a room open for both cruises.

All people in wheelchairs are asking is for a fair chance to cruise. With so few rooms to choose from -- we are already limited. We don't get to book last minute deals or ever get any perk of being surprised by a last minute upgrade.

So when people say things like -- take it -- you will love the size -- we become sensitive.

To johnjen: You are simply disgusting. You are blatantly stating that handicapped people are typically nasty slobs. Please! My husband is handicapped and we must have an accessible cabin as he uses a scooter for mobility. Never, in all of our cruises, have we had a dirty, smelly cabin. And never has my husband had the urge to "pee in a jar and spill it on the rug". Believe me, I would more expect this type of thing in a cabin that houses a bunch of "drinkers" who very often can't control themselves when they are blotto! If I am over-reacting, please excuse me, but this is the most offensive thing I have ever heard. Mark my words, someday you may be one of those "nasty handicapped" people and you will certainly understand the feelings of disgust for people like you.

First one for the book from recent experience RCCL seems to be getting this problem under wraps so I am assuming the OP is relatively close to sailing and has a garantee which makes this assignment OK.

Now to th oder problem.... if you get to any cabin for that matter and have an "smelly" problem ask for the Housekeeper to come to your cabin. The first thing they will try is cleaning the carpet if that doesn't help they will even change the carpet. This might however take a day or two but they have enough stocks onboard for exactly those cases. But be reasonable!

[FONT=Garamond][SIZE=3][COLOR=purple][B][U]Hebe[/U][/B] - I have to admit that I'm not handicapped and am actually what you refer to as AB, but your post was extremely well thought out on point. I think that all cruise lines and their passengers should really sit up and pay attention to what you've said.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='johnjen']Without disparaging handicapped people, and with no intent to discredit those who are physically challenged, there is one POSSIBLE con: The cabin, especially the toilet area, may smell like urine. Some physically challenged people have been known to pee into jars in the middle of the night because they can't get out of bed. I know this sounds gross, but I knew a handicapped person who did this, and sometimes the jars would spill onto the rug.

We had this problem in our last cabin. Beware! I would switch back to standard interior if I were you, or better yet, [B]see if you can get an upgrade.[/B][/quote]

Why would they get an upgrade? They booked a GTY. I'm seriously asking because I don't understand the reasoning for them getting an upgrade. Is it just because they call to ask that the accessible cabin be released so someone who needs it can book it? I can't see any other possible reason to even consider that they should be upgraded.

They don't like the location and that's understandable, but when others who book GTYs don't like the location, they sometimes call and request a different location, which they sometimes get as long as it's in the exact same category, not an upgrade. That would kind of defeat the whole GTY thing anyway if we could all just call and request an upgrade if we didn't like the GTY we were assigned. Doing that would be the same as choosing your own cabin from the get-go.

There's no harm in calling and requesting a different location in a not-accessible cabin that's in the same category as they've been assigned. If there are no non-accessible cabins in that same category, then it would be nice if RCI moved them up a smidge as a thank you for doing the right thing. Still, I'm sure RCI knows this is an accessible cabin, so I'm not sure what they would do.

I think asking to switch is a good idea, both for the OP's sake (location and functionality) and because someone who needs the accessible cabin might then be able to book it. I've never heard of urine smells in HC cabins, but then we've never booked one (even though technically we are entitled to). We don't need one at this point and hope we never do. I don't like the shower setup or the height (that is lack of) of some of the facilities. My DH would go nuts because he's 6 ft tall and has enough back problems as it is without having to stoop down to use the sink.

I certainly don't blame the OP in any way for the cabin assignment. That's a cruise line thing.

beachchick

p.s., While there's no excuse for outright rudeness or flaming (and abusers should be reported), we can [I]all[/I] get a little terse from time to time, especially when it's a subject close to our hearts, don't you think? Obviously, flaming/abusing/nasty/cruel posts should be reported (and there is that nice ignore feature if it becomes ongoing), but none of us (not even you or me) is perfect when it comes to our posting "voices." Sometimes it's best, IMO, to let the little things go. It does sound like this case involved some serious and ongoing posting, so please understand that I don't believe you were overreacting here. Just want to remind all of us that to err is human (and none of us are divine). Happy thoughts!

[quote name='johnjen']You know what? I've noticed that you tend to have a lot of terse and outwardly rude comments toward others on these boards. You have responded to my posts in the same manner, on this thread, and on others in the past.

Please cease and desist. Citing someone as being "ridiculous" isn't called for on these boards.

I have reported you as being a board abuser. A simple request: Try being a little bit less terse in your responses, thanks.[/QUOTE]

You know what? You're first post on this thread [B]was[/B] ridiculous, and you and Donna K taking this opportunity to bad-mouth another poster on this thread is more of a violation of the guidelines than someone using the word "ridiculous" in a response. It's actually quite within the rules to say what you feel about someone else opinion, but against the rules to berate the person.

hmn, OK, there seem to be many expert opinions here.

so for a HC cabin, I'll be cruising with 81 yr. old mom, who uses hc commodes because the toilet is higher and there are rails. In addition, I would think that the shower would have more rails for safety (she has fallen in the shower several times). Her hips don't allow much bending without assistance.

so no, she doesn't need a wheel chair (didn't know you had to be wheelchair bound to book one of these cabins:o ). Once she's up and walking she's good, its the ADL's that take place in a cabin, that she needs some modifications with. If I'm not to book this, then what does the cruise line provide for a commode and shower?

Thanks in advance, because if they can assure me that mom will be accomodated, we can choose ANY cabin we wish.... and I'd love a 9a;)

Before our last RCCL cruise in February, I asked about a HC accessible stateroom for my parents because of some reasons, as stated above. Neither parents are in wheelchairs, however. I was told that I would need a note from a physician (which would not have been a problem.) I told my parents about the stateroom and they refused the offer, saying they didn't need the facilities.

When we arrived at the ship, the HC stateroom was right next door to my parents standard JS stateroom and it was empty. My parents decided that the stateroom might be a good idea after all, so we asked about it at the pursers desk. They said that the stateroom was not available, so we let it go. Throughout the next day, we noticed that the HC stateroom door was still opened and it was not being used.:rolleyes: That afternoon, there was a bingo game for a prize of a suite. Imagine our surprise when the girt that won the bingo, moved into the HC stateroom, that very same evening! The stateroom was used for profit, instead of need!:mad:

[quote name='Sea Island Lady']Before our last RCCL cruise in February, I asked about a HC accessible stateroom for my parents because of some reasons, as stated above. Neither parents are in wheelchairs, however. I was told that I would need a note from a physician (which would not have been a problem.) I told my parents about the stateroom and they refused the offer, saying they didn't need the facilities.

When we arrived at the ship, the HC stateroom was right next door to my parents standard JS stateroom and it was empty. My parents decided that the stateroom might be a good idea after all, so we asked about it at the pursers desk. They said that the stateroom was not available, so we let it go. Throughout the next day, we noticed that the HC stateroom door was still opened and it was not being used.:rolleyes: That afternoon, there was a bingo game for a prize of a suite. Imagine our surprise when the girt that won the bingo, moved into the HC stateroom, that very same evening! The stateroom was used for profit, instead of need!:mad:[/quote]What ship were you on? They usually give away suites at bingo. I don't know of any handicapped cabins that are next to a JS cabin. At least not on Freedom and Voyager class.

[quote name='beachchick']Why would they get an upgrade? They booked a GTY. I'm seriously asking because I don't understand the reasoning for them getting an upgrade. Is it just because they call to ask that the accessible cabin be released so someone who needs it can book it? I can't see any other possible reason to even consider that they should be upgraded.
[/QUOTE]

I've usually gotten an upgrade from an inside guarantee to an outside. Maybe they were just suggesting to request an upgrade because it can't hurt to ask? That's the only reason that I can think of - I don't think there's any harm in asking. You'll never know if you don't ask, right? :D
Laura

[quote name='Cruisinfanatic']What ship were you on? They usually give away suites at bingo. I don't know of any handicapped cabins that are next to a JS cabin. At least not on Freedom and Voyager class.[/quote]

It was on the Grandeur and the HC JS was right next door to our standard JS staterooms. That's why we were surprised that Royal listing this stateroom as a luxury suite! :rolleyes: I mean it was a suite (a junior), but I don't think the couple that moved in expected to be put in a HC stateroom.

[quote name='BethV114'][FONT=Garamond][SIZE=3][COLOR=purple][B][U]Hebe[/U][/B] - I have to admit that I'm not handicapped and am actually what you refer to as AB, but your post was extremely well thought out on point. I think that all cruise lines and their passengers should really sit up and pay attention to what you've said.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

BethV114, would you please contact me at [EMAIL="three.ring@yahoo.com"]three.ring@yahoo.com[/EMAIL]? Thanks.

[B]Good Afternoon everyone -[/B]

I can only speak of our experience with handicapped cabins. My husband has degenerative arthritis in both hips and has had 4 total hip replacements in the last 2 1/2 years...he fell and broke one and the revision did not work so he is on his 3rd right hip! As you can see from the picture posted earlier he uses a motorized scooter for mobility and a walker until just a few weeks ago when he "graduated" to his cane. We normally book handicap cabins well in advance so that he can get around on a walker which as you know is a huge challenge in some regular cabins. RCI did call to move us out of our room for someone else and we did have to have a Dr. note to book one...both with our TA and with RCI if we book direct. I have no way of knowing if that was an exception or the rule. However I will also advise you this past February we took advantage of a not to be missed $599. 6 day happy hour for a balcony guarantee on Radiance knowing we might get a regular cabin... we contacted Crown and Anchor in advance (not special needs who in my opinion is useless) and they told us we could charge the scooter overnight at guest relations if we could not get it in the cabin so we decided to book. A few weeks after booking Crown and Anchor contacted us to tell us they assigned us a handicap balcony cabin (which could not be seen in available cabins...don't know if it was available or not since you can't see them until released). All I can share is my personal experience that the system has worked for us... PLEASE don't think for a moment I am advocating anyone trying to book these cabins without a need...that is shameful. A loyalty ambassador once told us about a doctor who was trying to book 2 handicap cabins for his family because they were roomier and was threatening her when she resisted his request! We all know the abusers are out there...but someone who has a guarantee assignment is definitely not one of them... just my two cents. Next time you NEED a cabin try Crown and Anchor...it just might work for you too!

We are waiting for him to be well enough to be able to travel without the motorized scooter...we both really are dying to book an AFT cabin!

[quote name='Hebe']
2) You the AB who have something wrong or different so they think this give you the right to book this room. For example, I cruised with a person whose bagged about the handicap rooms they had in the past. His justification was that his wife did not have 20 / 20 vision so she was disabled. [/quote]

Okay, since I have a wife with a genetic disorder that causes malformation of the eyes, I take exception to this critique. The visually disabled *ARE* disabled. They do not need handicapped facilities but they are disabled. My BIL has the same disorder. Fortunately, my wife has had surgical transplants in her eyes that help out her vision immensely, but her brother has a more serious case and even with the same procedures, he is still disabled. There are many things he cannot do including driving. I've known many physically disabled people that still have the freedom of being able to drive. Each disability is different and requires different allowances.

The visually disabled do not need handicapped rooms, but there are many other things they do need. For example, large print menus. The first time that we sailed, my wife's vision was nearer its worst and she could not read the menus. The DR did not have large print menus and so I had to read her the whole menu every night. Do you realize how much reading is involved in cruising? Quite a lot here and there. We use a lot of specialty magnifiers and I still had to do a lot of reading for us both. We have had to make a number of allowances in our lives for her and her brother being visually disabled, so please do not say that just because someone abused the system, the visually disabled are not disabled.

Note: we would never use her disability to request a handicapped cabin, but we do make special requests including large print menus, making sure that all lights in our cabin are working properly since poor lighting can leave her esssentially blind. I make door magnets so she can find our cabin since sometimes in the low hall lighting she cannot read the cabin numbers.

[quote name='DonnaK']I'm so glad to see your post! The person you are commenting on was VERY rude to me on another post and I am still shaking my head in disbelief. While I'm sorry he was rude to you too, I'm relieved that it isn't just me.[/quote]

I'm considering it closed and brought it all to the attention of the board admin.

Good luck to you and I hope all goes well on the boards for all of us. See you around!

[quote name='MaryEBS'][B]Good Afternoon everyone -[/B]

I can only speak of our experience with handicapped cabins. My husband has degenerative arthritis in both hips and has had 4 total hip replacements in the last 2 1/2 years...he fell and broke one and the revision did not work so he is on his 3rd right hip! As you can see from the picture posted earlier he uses a motorized scooter for mobility and a walker until just a few weeks ago when he "graduated" to his cane. We normally book handicap cabins well in advance so that he can get around on a walker which as you know is a huge challenge in some regular cabins. RCI did call to move us out of our room for someone else and we did have to have a Dr. note to book one...both with our TA and with RCI if we book direct. I have no way of knowing if that was an exception or the rule. However I will also advise you this past February we took advantage of a not to be missed $599. 6 day happy hour for a balcony guarantee on Radiance knowing we might get a regular cabin... we contacted Crown and Anchor in advance (not special needs who in my opinion is useless) and they told us we could charge the scooter overnight at guest relations if we could not get it in the cabin so we decided to book. A few weeks after booking Crown and Anchor contacted us to tell us they assigned us a handicap balcony cabin (which could not be seen in available cabins...don't know if it was available or not since you can't see them until released). All I can share is my personal experience that the system has worked for us... PLEASE don't think for a moment I am advocating anyone trying to book these cabins without a need...that is shameful. A loyalty ambassador once told us about a doctor who was trying to book 2 handicap cabins for his family because they were roomier and was threatening her when she resisted his request! We all know the abusers are out there...but someone who has a guarantee assignment is definitely not one of them... just my two cents. Next time you NEED a cabin try Crown and Anchor...it just might work for you too!

We are waiting for him to be well enough to be able to travel without the motorized scooter...we both really are dying to book an AFT cabin![/quote]

THANK YOU, MARY!!!!

That was the point I was trying to get across when I FIRST replied to this thread. I have hopes that people reading this will understand our point of view a little bit better. God Bless you and your husband. I hope you get that AFT abin SOON ;)

Posted by Snoopy
[I]Okay, since I have a wife with a genetic disorder that causes malformation of the eyes, I take exception to this critique[/I].

Snoopy
My post was by no means saying you wife does not have a disability and does not need special provisions that will make your cruise together more enjoyable. My point was this particular couple using this as the right to book a wheelchair assessable room. Let me tell you -- this man's wife could see just fine and required no devices to read that you mentioned that are required by your family. He even went so far to publicly on the CC board ask the people in the aft facing wheelchair room if they needed it because he was wait listed for that cabin and had a right to book it. What was funny was at the same time someone on the board was complaining about being assigned a wheelchair assessable room on a GTY. LOL -- when I suggested he may want to switch rooms with this person to meet his wife's needs -- he wanted no part of giving up his aft facing regular cabin. He even bragged about how many people they had got in the WA bathroom at one time to show how big it was.

Even the cruise line on their floor plan calls these rooms -- wheelchair assessable -- they do not call them disabled. I am not saying that only Wheelchair people have needs for these rooms -- I am trying to say some people use any disability to book more space.

Next -- I like to personally thank you for your consideration of realizing that you, at this time - do not need a wheelchair assessable room. With so few of them available, it is sometimes difficult to get one for people who currently need them to be able to travel at all.

I am sure as more people understand that life does not have to stop when life throws you a challenge, we will see more and more people needing assisted devices (wheelchair, scooters, walkers, large print, signers, assistance animals, shower seats, raised toilets, safety bars) on cruise lines. Let's hope that designers will continue to take this into consideration on future cruise ships.

Deb

Archived