Pros & Con to handicapped room?

[quote name='TigerLady']THANK YOU, MARY!!!!

That was the point I was trying to get across when I FIRST replied to this thread. I have hopes that people reading this will understand our point of view a little bit better. God Bless you and your husband. I hope you get that AFT abin SOON ;)[/quote]

[B]Tiger Lady -[/B]

Thank you for your kind thoughts. Only those of us who have to deal with disabilities to travel...(for my husband a motorized scooter, a walker, a shower seat and a raised toilet are essential) truly do understand this thread. The good news for us is that if this last operation works we may be able to put this equipment behind us and we will happily leave the handicap cabins for anyone elso who [B]needs [/B]them. Again I will state that booking this room just because it is large is absolutely selfish...if you want more room, book a higher category.

[quote name='Cruisinfanatic']You'll love it. Don't give it up unless RCL says they need it back for a person that needs it. The cabin is the size of a Jr Suite. The bathroom is huge. I've had 2 in the past and 1 coming up this September. Heres a picture of a balcony accessible cabin on the Voyager[/quote]

How are you getting handicapped cabins so often? Some people are saying they got them once with a guarantee but you get one 3 times. Are you booking them? :confused:

[quote name='johnjen']Without disparaging handicapped people, and with no intent to discredit those who are physically challenged, there is one POSSIBLE con: The cabin, especially the toilet area, may smell like urine. [/QUOTE]
But on teh other hand if you get a nonhandicapped cabin you might be in a cabin after a drunk who puked all over the bed and now the cabin smells like puke.
you said "Without disparaging handicapped people" but you did it anyway. handicapped people have enough to deal with with out small minded comments. I do belive you when say intent to discredit. but on a scale of 1 to 10 your post scores a 0

Being assigned at the last minute in HC is OK, but I had a TA from a big online agency try to talk me into booking HC with the promise that we'd be moved if someone needed it. I flatly refused and will not do business with that TA. This TA persisted with the flagging myth even after I told him about my son.

I have a teen with severe arthritis, and I've been trying to find a cruise for Jan of 09 for our family of 5 + extended family. I had to laugh at the comment someone made about having several HC cabins on a ship. I guess my idea of "several" is a little different. I started working on this booking in June 07, and availability was NOT wide open. Then we're looking for something that is rare in HC cabins, a triple, so our kids can bunk together. They are practically all doubles, which really slays me. A HC person needing 2 caregivers is certainly not unheard of, nor is a family with a HC child.

People on the disability boards told me they often book the first day a cruise is available. It's costing MUCH more than if I could just book 2 regular cabins, but my son has to have his scooter, so we are stuck. If we book Carnival, it's so far in advance, that we can't get our military rate on both cabins. Then I was told that when they do open up that inventory we still can't have it on the 2nd cabin, because it's new bookings only. Never mind that we have no choice about booking so early because of the supply and demand.

Princess and Carnival both wanted a doctor's letter to justify the HC cabin, and Princess took it further saying he needs a doctor's letter of permission to travel. RCI didn't mention any of it. They just want me to call special services to update them on my son's medical condition a month before sailing.

[quote name='TigerLady']As a mother to a son in a wheelchair, I find it unfair that cruise lines give out handicapped rooms to those who don't need them. We were on the Majesty in December, and there were no rooms available. You don't realize how good you have it, until you try to get a wheelchair through the door, into the room. Getting to the bathroom was even harder. If you can switch to another room and leave the handicapped accessible room for someone who really needs it. Not trying to rant, it just bothers me when things are taken for granted. Furthermore, most handicapped people are cleaner and better about personal hygiene then the general public. More self conscious, I guess.[/quote]

I´m sorry but I have to disagree with parts of what you say.
I don´think it´s unfair to give away hc cabins to people who don´t need them. If there´s no enough people in the need for these room I can´t see any reason to not give them away. Why should the cruise line leave the room empty and not earn money on it?

I think the hc cabins should be sold last if not occupied by someone who needs them. But at the point all other cabins are sold and the hc cabins are the only ones remaining on the ship, yes I think it should not matter anymore. I can´t see a reason for the cruiseline in this case to refuse a paying customer to safe the room for the eventuallity a person in need of a hc room comes and want to book. It may happen or not but if it happens I say the hc person should have booked earlier, just like I (not hc) should have when looking for the cruise and it´s sold out.

Regarding your Majesty cruise and not getting the hc room I can´t say if it was unfair or not, asl it depends on when you boooked and what rooms had been open at that time and if there were people in hc rooms that didn´t need to be in one.

To the OP, while I wouldn´t want to be in a HC room, as though it´s huge, it´s also mostly empty space, I wouldn´t feel any guilt as you booked a guarantee and it´s not your business to make cabin choice.
You could even get your cabin assignment at the pier and don´t even know it´s a hc cabin. If there´s any blame at all and I don´t think anyone is to blame here (see above) it would be RCI.

[quote name='Hebe']I think people who have ever traveled in a wheelchair or travel with someone in a wheelchair have a first hand appreciation of the challenges of travel and what it means to have a wheelchair assessable room.

As I read posts, you start to form a pattern to people.

1) You have the AB who get assigned a wheelchair room at the last minute by the cruise line because they book a gty room. I really have no problem with this. As someone who needs to book a wheelchair room, I know I no longer can take advantage of last minute deals and will book a room months in advance to be able to get one. If you get one enjoy, it does have it pros and cons. If you ever experience a rocky cruise, and have to mop up the bathroom floor, you will know what not having a shower lip means. If you do enjoy the space, do not become a number 2 or 3 below.

2) You the AB who have something wrong or different so they think this give you the right to book this room. For example, I cruised with a person whose bagged about the handicap rooms they had in the past. His justification was that his wife did not have 20 / 20 vision so she was disabled. You also read the post from the person whose husband was tall so she felt they needed the extra room. You have people who I will call fluffy in size. I had one of these in the wheelchair room next to me on my last cruise. You have people with stiff knees who think that is a reason to have a handicap room. These people totally P my off since they will never move if someone in a wheelchair needs it -- cause they feel they are there for a reason.

3) You have the AB who knowing book a handicap room because the want the space -- period. They sometimes like to use the terms -- oh I will move if someone needs it -- and would be the first person on this board complaining if they did get a call to move and the new room was not as good or better than what they gave up. I even seen people post that if they had to move -- they were told by their travel agent that they would get upgraded to a suite. All I can say to these people -- what goes around comes around in the balance of the universe.

4) I do understand that some people have balance problems and standing in the shower on a bumpy cruise could be dangerous. In these cases, you may not need a wheelchair assessable room. An option that can be used is a regular room with a request to special services for a shower seat. The extra door width and room to pull a wheelchair into the bathroom or next to the bed is essential for someone in a wheelchair. You never realize that until you get invited to someone room for socialization, and realize you not able to even get through the door. Or if you can manage that you have to roll across the bed and loaded back into your chair on the other side to get to the balcony. Also if you can walk and need to take a wheelchair for distances in the port, do you really need a handicap room if all your are going to do is walk into the room, fold it up, and store it.

5) Cruise line agents are as bad as anyone. Due to their lack of knowledge, they give handicap rooms to AB by mistake. I have seen this a few times with people who book back to backs. Because they are trying to keep people from moving between cruises, this looks like a great opportunity to find a room open for both cruises.

All people in wheelchairs are asking is for a fair chance to cruise. With so few rooms to choose from -- we are already limited. We don't get to book last minute deals or ever get any perk of being surprised by a last minute upgrade.

So when people say things like -- take it -- you will love the size -- we become sensitive.[/quote]While I would never defend the person who just wanted a bigger room, the reality is that able-bodied people are sometimes going to end up with these rooms. It happened to us once -- not on a cruise ship, but in a lakeside cabin. When we entered Cabin 7 and realized that it had a ramp, extra large bathrooms, large doorways, etc., we called the ranger station and said,[I] "Hey, are we in the right place? We don't have any need for these facilities"[/I] They told us that no handicapped people had reserved a cabin that week, and we were the last ones to reserve a two-bedroom . . . so we ended up in a handicapped cabin. We enjoyed it guilt-free. No one was denied the chance to have the cabin that week because of us. The rental company had every right to rent that cabin and make a profit that week.

[quote name='Umbarger']How are you getting handicapped cabins so often? Some people are saying they got them once with a guarantee but you get one 3 times. Are you booking them? :confused:[/quote]As a TA, I would never book one for myself or anyone else who didn't need one that was not available to anyone. To get a handicapped cabin, it's simply a matter of watching for one to be released to the public. You have to watch on any cruise website every day for this to happen. I've seen them released from around 80 days from the sail date.

[quote name='Cruisinfanatic']As a TA, I would never book one for myself or anyone else who didn't need one that was not available to anyone. To get a handicapped cabin, it's simply a matter of watching for one to be released to the public. You have to watch on any cruise website every day for this to happen. I've seen them released from around 80 days from the sail date.[/quote]

If a HC cabin is released 6 weeks prior I feel anyone can book it. However, I beleive the one 'released' 80 days before was not released at all but the cruiser who was booked in that cabin cancelled and that cabin was then placed in general inventory rather than being put back in restricted HC inventory.

When I find a HC cabin in general inventory that shouldnt be prior to 6 weeks. I call the cruiseline and tell them and then they put it back in restricted inventory.

I wanted to take my mom on an Alaska cruise this year but couldnt because I couldnt find an HC cabin. I checked several cruise lines, dates and intineraries but to no avail. No cruise line would check to see if AB were in a HC room saying it was a matter of privacy.

Your way of getting HC rooms proves that cruise lines do NOT move AB people if a HC person needs it.

Enjoy your cruises and your extra space. However, remember Karma is a heck of a thing. It can come back and bite you in the butt.

[quote name='Hebe']I think people who have ever traveled in a wheelchair or travel with someone in a wheelchair have a first hand appreciation of the challenges of travel and what it means to have a wheelchair assessable room.

As I read posts, you start to form a pattern to people.

1) You have the AB who get assigned a wheelchair room at the last minute by the cruise line because they book a gty room. I really have no problem with this. As someone who needs to book a wheelchair room, I know I no longer can take advantage of last minute deals and will book a room months in advance to be able to get one. If you get one enjoy, it does have it pros and cons. If you ever experience a rocky cruise, and have to mop up the bathroom floor, you will know what not having a shower lip means. If you do enjoy the space, do not become a number 2 or 3 below.

2) You the AB who have something wrong or different so they think this give you the right to book this room. For example, I cruised with a person whose bagged about the handicap rooms they had in the past. His justification was that his wife did not have 20 / 20 vision so she was disabled. You also read the post from the person whose husband was tall so she felt they needed the extra room. You have people who I will call fluffy in size. I had one of these in the wheelchair room next to me on my last cruise. You have people with stiff knees who think that is a reason to have a handicap room. These people totally P my off since they will never move if someone in a wheelchair needs it -- cause they feel they are there for a reason.

3) You have the AB who knowing book a handicap room because the want the space -- period. They sometimes like to use the terms -- oh I will move if someone needs it -- and would be the first person on this board complaining if they did get a call to move and the new room was not as good or better than what they gave up. I even seen people post that if they had to move -- they were told by their travel agent that they would get upgraded to a suite. All I can say to these people -- what goes around comes around in the balance of the universe.

4) I do understand that some people have balance problems and standing in the shower on a bumpy cruise could be dangerous. In these cases, you may not need a wheelchair assessable room. An option that can be used is a regular room with a request to special services for a shower seat. The extra door width and room to pull a wheelchair into the bathroom or next to the bed is essential for someone in a wheelchair. You never realize that until you get invited to someone room for socialization, and realize you not able to even get through the door. Or if you can manage that you have to roll across the bed and loaded back into your chair on the other side to get to the balcony. Also if you can walk and need to take a wheelchair for distances in the port, do you really need a handicap room if all your are going to do is walk into the room, fold it up, and store it.

5) Cruise line agents are as bad as anyone. Due to their lack of knowledge, they give handicap rooms to AB by mistake. I have seen this a few times with people who book back to backs. Because they are trying to keep people from moving between cruises, this looks like a great opportunity to find a room open for both cruises.

All people in wheelchairs are asking is for a fair chance to cruise. With so few rooms to choose from -- we are already limited. We don't get to book last minute deals or ever get any perk of being surprised by a last minute upgrade.

So when people say things like -- take it -- you will love the size -- we become sensitive.[/quote]

Hi, Deb. How are you both doing? I have good memories of meeting the both of you.

I don't remember if I told you while on the Jewel that we were given a WA stateroom when I booked a guarantee. When I looked at the deck plan and realized it was a WA, I called my TA and told her that if someone needed it to release it. However, when we got to the cabin, we still had that assignment. We both commented that going back to the regular inside that we usually book might be a little difficult, but I don't feel that booking a WA is necessary for us, even though some of the accomodations made it easier for me.

[quote name='Umbarger']If a HC cabin is released 6 weeks prior I feel anyone can book it. However, I beleive the one 'released' 80 days before was not released at all but the cruiser who was booked in that cabin cancelled and that cabin was then placed in general inventory rather than being put back in restricted HC inventory.

When I find a HC cabin in general inventory that shouldnt be prior to 6 weeks. I call the cruiseline and tell them and then they put it back in restricted inventory.

I wanted to take my mom on an Alaska cruise this year but couldnt because I couldnt find an HC cabin. I checked several cruise lines, dates and intineraries but to no avail. No cruise line would check to see if AB were in a HC room saying it was a matter of privacy.

Your way of getting HC rooms proves that cruise lines do NOT move AB people if a HC person needs it.

Enjoy your cruises and your extra space. However, remember Karma is a heck of a thing. It can come back and bite you in the butt.[/quote]I hear you. Alaska cruises are in huge demand and a somewhat older average age. That's why it's so difficult to find your desired cabin. To pick on me for booking a HC cabin after the cruiseline makes them available to all isn't fair. If I didn't get it, the next person would. They don't last more than a few hrs to a day or 2 when they do become available. You say that it's ok if it's 6 weeks but not if it's 80 days. 8 days makes that much of a difference? I booked mine this yr at 75 days out. At that time 3 became available. I'm sure it didn't happen because someone cancelled. Last week 3 more became available and they were gone in 6 hrs.

Hi Naomi -- how are you and your son Joe. How could we ever forget one of our favorite dinner cocktail friends. Naomi - I don't think there is any problem when WA rooms are assigned on GTY. I am glad you got it and it did help make your cruise easier.

I think the issue is people who book them directly knowing that they are taking a WA room.

Crusinifantic ==
I not sure where I would classify a WA room watcher. Since we all know that WA rooms get put back to the public inventory if not canceled correctly. I also know that AB will wait list these rooms hoping that someone will cancel the room and they get a call to book them. I currently have a room booked for April of 2009 that I been told it has a wait list on it. As a travel agent, it may be nice for you to call the cruise line and tell them they currently have a handicap room for general booking that needs to go back to special services with restricted booking rules. Also, unless my math is off -- 6 weeks is 42 days which is a not 8 days less than 80 days.

Also -- since you are a travel agent and in customer service I sure you very careful of assumptions you make about your clients. ==
Posted by you ---
[I]I hear you. Alaska cruises are in huge demand and a somewhat older average age. That's why it's so difficult to find your desired cabin.[/I]
For the record -- being in a wheelchair does not always mean that one is old or one is sick.

[quote name='Hebe']
[I]I hear you. Alaska cruises are in huge demand and a somewhat older average age. That's why it's so difficult to find your desired cabin.[/I]
For the record -- being in a wheelchair does not always mean that one is old or one is sick.[/quote]I never said anything of the sort. As far as the cruiseline releasing unused handicapped cabins to be booked by anyone at a certain time? That's their guideline, not mine.

[quote name='Tartessa']And I know non-handicapped people spill food and drinks but I think it is a greater possibility in a handicapped cabin. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]
and you should check your facts before you make a a$$ out of your self for making statements that are just not true.

i would rather spend my time with anyone but a fool like you.

[quote name='Cruisinfanatic']I hear you. Alaska cruises are in huge demand and a somewhat older average age. That's why it's so difficult to find your desired cabin. To pick on me for booking a HC cabin after the cruiseline makes them available to all isn't fair. If I didn't get it, the next person would. They don't last more than a few hrs to a day or 2 when they do become available. You say that it's ok if it's 6 weeks but not if it's 80 days. 8 days makes that much of a difference? I booked mine this yr at 75 days out. At that time 3 became available. I'm sure it didn't happen because someone cancelled. Last week 3 more became available and they were gone in 6 hrs.[/quote]

Could it be that I couldnt go to Alaska because the ships only have a very limited number of HC cabins. Usually 20 or less. I am sure some of the HC cabins had AB's in them. Perhaps a HC cabin watcher like you were booked in them.

If you are a TA you need some math classes. 6 weeks is 42 days versus 80 days. A difference of 38 days not 8 days. 38 days in which a handicapped person could book the cabin they needed.

In my opinion AB shouldnt be booking HC cabins..... period. If the cruiseline assigns it to you as a guarantee, enjoy it and think how lucky you are that you dont 'require' the cabin. How selfish to say "If I didnt get it, the next person would"
Does this make it right?

Enjoy all your extra room, larger doorway, grab bars, roll in shower and emergency cords. Everytime you pass a person in a wheelchair look them in the eye (if you can) and think how much easier their cruise would have been if they were in your handicapped cabin.

Remember, what goes around comes around.

[quote name='Cruisinfanatic']I never said anything of the sort. [/quote]

Cruisinfanatic -- you getting yourself in a little deep here = Check your post from 12:20AM -- I just quoted what you posted

My point was not to be mean but just to point out that you are in a customer service business --please be aware of things that try to classify people. That is like saying to your client -- oh you travel in a wheelchair -- you must be old.

This thread is meant to make people think and learn.

LOL -- so far we have learned that a few people now think people in wheelchairs -- pee on the rug, spill food and drink all over and are old. WOW -- no wonder they give these people so few rooms on the ship.

I just came off our first cruise and was assigned a handicapped accessible room. The only difference i could tell from my room and another room was that the washroom floor was one level. there was no step into the shower. The room was bigger and the balcony was bigger. Just to give you an idea on our balcony you could fit a lawn chair fully extended, 2 regular chairs and a table. on a regular balcony stateroom you just have the two chairs and table. If you are given the room just take it. RCCL would not release it if they knew that people needed it. My wife and I had major reservations about taking this room but now we dont regret it at all.

Enjoy your cruise.

[quote name='Hebe']Cruisinfanatic -- you getting yourself in a little deep here = Check your post from 12:20AM -- I just quoted what you posted

My point was not to be mean but just to point out that you are in a customer service business --please be aware of things that try to classify people. That is like saying to your client -- oh you travel in a wheelchair -- you must be old.
[/quote]But I didn't say that and didn't mean anything like that when I said [I]Alaska cruises are in huge demand and a somewhat older average age. That's why it's so difficult to find your desired cabin.[/I]

[quote name='Umbarger']Could it be that I couldnt go to Alaska because the ships only have a very limited number of HC cabins. Usually 20 or less. I am sure some of the HC cabins had AB's in them. Perhaps a HC cabin watcher like you were booked in them. [/quote]Well you don't know that and I don't know that. As I said before, these cabins are not released until around final payment date. Probably never happens on an Alaska cruise because they are book up well before any Caribbean cruise

[quote name='Umbarger']
If you are a TA you need some math classes. 6 weeks is 42 days versus 80 days. A difference of 38 days not 8 days. 38 days in which a handicapped person could book the cabin they needed. [/quote] Got me there. Out to lunch when I said that I guess. Let's not be mean now because I made a mistake

[quote name='Umbarger']
In my opinion AB shouldnt be booking HC cabins..... period. If the cruiseline assigns it to you as a guarantee, enjoy it and think how lucky you are that you dont 'require' the cabin. How selfish to say "If I didnt get it, the next person would"
Does this make it right?

Enjoy all your extra room, larger doorway, grab bars, roll in shower and emergency cords. Everytime you pass a person in a wheelchair look them in the eye (if you can) and think how much easier their cruise would have been if they were in your handicapped cabin.
[/quote]From that statement one would think that I reserved the cabin before someone who needed it had a chance at it.

[quote name='Cruisinfanatic']
From that statement one would think that I reserved the cabin before someone who needed it had a chance at it.[/quote]

You did. Booking a HC room 80 or 75 days prior is too soon. Just because the cruise lines lets you doenst make it right. If you want a bigger room book a suite not a HC cabin designed for people in wheelchairs.

You just wont understand until you yourself or someone close to you is disabled.

My personal opinion is that, once the final payment date has passed, the HC cabins are fair game but that the lines should hold them back until then unless you have a note (when Jean is President, that will be one of her rules). That's anywhere from 60 to 90 days out for RCI: [URL]http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do;jsessionid=0000fFypfhhisodCH4I20JG4rQ_:10ktdmnut?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqSubjectName=After+You+Purchase&faqId=2688&faqSubjectId=323&faqType=faq[/URL].

To say that the cabins shouldn't be booked at all isn't fair to the cruiseline - they shouldn't be expected to sail with empty cabins. Nor is it fair to an AB passenger if those are the only cabins left on an otherwise sold out cruise.

I have a totally different question not addressed here...

In the photo posted earlier in this thread, I could see a ramp inside the cabin balcony door. Out of curiosity, does the door open any differently from inside than in any other balcony cabin? Can a person in a wheelchair/on a scooter push a button from the inside to open the door or might there be an electric eye similar to sliding doors elsewhere on the ship?

[quote name='FishOn55']I have a totally different question not addressed here...

In the photo posted earlier in this thread, I could see a ramp inside the cabin balcony door. Out of curiosity, does the door open any differently from inside than in any other balcony cabin? Can a person in a wheelchair/on a scooter push a button from the inside to open the door or might there be an electric eye similar to sliding doors elsewhere on the ship?[/quote]That particular cabin had a door that worked the same as all the rest on the ship. The ramp was just a piece of wood that someone made a ramp into. It was removable.

I am not aware of the Jewel having automatic door opening unto the balcony. It does have a card inserted opener on the cabin door. The balcony door was a normal slide door but did have a ramp to get out onto the balcony.

Archived