Pros & Con to handicapped room?

If the OP gives up the cabin solely because it is handicap accessible, she is only putting it back in the guarentee pool for the next gaurenteed assignment. She is not necesarily making it available for someone who may NEED a HC room.

IMHO, If she can deal with the location, then she should keep it. It was assigned, not requested. Otherwise, she should ask to be put back in the pool. May turn out she still gets another cabin all the way in the front of the ship, just not HC assessable.

A~

My DH is disabled but not wheelchair bound yet. We changed our cabin assignment with the port person ( sorry forgot the job title!:( ) to a disabled access cabin when checking in for our Splendour cruise . The bathroom size and extra grab handles and seat made life so much easier for him on that trip . What I missed was a full length mirror !! I had to stand on the bed to see my full length reflection in the dresser mirror. I realised later that there wasn't a full length mirror for safety reasons. e.g. wheelchair banging into it.

I wouldn't want to sail on that high a deck all the way forward - it can get very rocky in rough seas. We were guests in the RS on Monarch, which is right behind the bridge on Deck 10, and the minute we left the port, we could feel the motion. And that was in smooth seas! Our cabin, all the way aft, had virtually no discernable movement.

As for it being accessible, it's not reasonable to expect RCI to hold the cabin vacant at this point, so no worries there (letting and AB passenger book it a year in advance is another thing altogether). But I wouldn't like the location, and they may let you pick something else if it's available.

I wasn't flaming you or anyone else, just giving a point of view. Not everyone one has dealt with handicaps and does not know a lot of issues with them. As for the "unstable" family life, I've walked there too. I was only trying to show others that RCI doesn't always use the best judgment when assigning cabins. It was nothing against the OP. Don't get so fired up. It wasn't personal against you either. Gee Whiz..

The funny thing about communicating in writing, rather than in person or via voice is that the things we say often come across in a different manner than originally intended... So yes, it did seem like you were flaming both myself and the OP and I'm sorry, but I don't come on these boards to be flamed. I come to learn from others' experiences and offer what little info/insight I might have. How else was I supposed to interpret "Don't flame me, unless you've walked in my shoes. Thanks."? As anything other than a rude/snappish comeback, especially gave any indication that my post was directed toward you?

I think we could all learn a bit from sdear: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=601732

She/he has quite an interesting, relevant thread going:)

Wow! I just checked in on the response to my original question and lot's of good viewpoints here (everyone's en fuego today)!

I think that I may call up to see if there is another handicapped room in a different location (middle-back). Obviously if they have already started unassigning these handicapped rooms to unassigned reservations, then they are available and ready to be filled so close to departure and they probably have more. If they need it later, I will tell them that I will give it up. I guess it doesn't hurt to ask for a different location and I think that I will enjoy the extra room. If they don't have one in a dif. location then I think I will just deal with being in a less desirable location.

Thanks to the users who posted their pictures. :)

Your post sounds even more offensive, with your addition of "I can see where there is that possibility and the possibility of other odors and problems." Disabled or handicapped does not mean unhygienic with no control of bodily functions. :rolleyes:

So you equate other odors equals bodily functions? I was thinking of spilled food, drinks, etc. I'm sorry that you don't agree with my opinion. But based on what johnjen wrote, I would never let a cruise line put me in a handicapped cabin. And I know non-handicapped people spill food and drinks but I think it is a greater possibility in a handicapped cabin. :rolleyes:

So you equate other odors equals bodily functions? I was thinking of spilled food, drinks, etc. I'm sorry that you don't agree with my opinion. But based on what johnjen wrote, I would never let a cruise line put me in a handicapped cabin. And I know non-handicapped people spill food and drinks but I think it is a greater possibility in a handicapped cabin. :rolleyes:

If this was happenning all the time we would be hearing it on the forum.

I wasn't really making any assumptions about what odors you were talking about; the post by johnjen was pretty specific. I don't see why handicapped people would be expected to be more likely to spill food, though. :rolleyes: But if you buy into that, just make sure you don't get a cabin with extra beds, as they're more likely to have been occupied by a family with small children who might have spilled something or wild college students who got drunk and puked on the carpet. Plus, stay away from the cabins without extra beds, because they're more likely to have had a couple in them doing who knows what kind of sexual things on the bed or other places.

So avoid handicapped rooms or those with or without extra beds, and you'll be fine.

:p

My DH is disabled but not wheelchair bound yet. We changed our cabin assignment with the port person ( sorry forgot the job title!:( ) to a disabled access cabin when checking in for our Splendour cruise . The bathroom size and extra grab handles and seat made life so much easier for him on that trip . What I missed was a full length mirror !! I had to stand on the bed to see my full length reflection in the dresser mirror. I realised later that there wasn't a full length mirror for safety reasons. e.g. wheelchair banging into it.[/quote]

We were assigned handicapped staterooms on the Celebrity Millennium one year. We were three weeks out from sailing. Our staterooms were CC balconies on the aft and they were huge and beautiful! The entire wide foyer was mirrored from top to floor. :cool:

I am sorry, but I need to defend johnjen (although, I don't think that he needed to mention the urine smell), because both our stateroom and my parents stateroom baths smelled like urine. :o We called the room steward and he cleaned them with a disinfectant. Smell gone! It was obvious that the bathrooms had not been cleaned that well before.

Also, I was accidentally assigned a handicapped room at two hotels and they both had smelly bathrooms. Sorry, if I am offending anyone, but I felt I had to defend johnjen in that he was telling the truth. However, this is not to say that all HC staterooms smell. We have also had a couple of regular staterooms that had odors and one call took care of them!

If I were the OP, I would keep the stateroom (unless it is needed.) Those bow staterooms are not bad, unless there is a hurricane brewing! :D

Why is it that it is being assumed that because a person is handicapped, they are messier, in any sense of the word? This is rediculous! Because one may be wheelchair bound, does not mean one's hands, arms, and other body parts don't work.

If you want to stay out of the handicapped rooms, for the reasons you state another poster made, then you might as well watch out in all rooms. Afterall, more children will have urinary/bowel/vomitting accidents and spill more food than any person I have ever seen in a wheelchair, and I am a nurse!

Afterall, more children will have urinary/bowel/vomitting accidents and spill more food than any person I have ever seen in a wheelchair, and I am a nurse!

So true! My sons bathroom use to smell when he was younger. We had a toilet rug around the toilet and I soon discovered that it was being saturated by a missed aim. :D

I don't know why some of the stateroom baths smell and others don't, but as I said before, I think it is because of poor cleaning. I also think that the stewards use unclean mops from one stateroom to the next.

we had a disabled cabin last year - all be it on a Princess. It was the best part of our holiday! It was huge, loads of storage, so, so clean; I would first call RC and check that there are def enough disabled cabins for all disabled people first, but then I would go for it!

Afterall, if it does smell you say something once you are in, that is when you are most likely to be given an upgrade because of a legitamate problem, but i would highly doubt any problems.

I've been in a HC cabin once, on HAL, because my mother was in a wheelchair and we needed the accomodation. I would not want to be in a HC cabin unless one of us needed it because the ramp (to the verandah) took up a lot of space and the bathroom had a nursing home feel to it. Not what I go on a cruise for. I guess that's a good reason to always book an assigned cabin, not a guarantee.

You know...I thought of another reason why the bathrooms may smell. It could be mildew. Those HC staterooms have no lip around the showers, and water goes everywhere if you are not careful. Lot's of surface water = mildew smells. Have had that happen in my son's bathroom, too. :rolleyes: I kept noticing a urine like smell in his shower stall. It turned out to be his fabric shower curtain. The bottom was not drying out after his shower and was becoming sour. YUCK!!! Boy, am I glad he has gone off to college! :D

We had a guaranteed inside while sailing on the Carnival Liberty and when we checked out our room assignment when we got on the ship we found out it was a handicapped accessible room and it was huge!!! We loved having the extra space and there was no smell whatsoever. The only downside (which really wasn't even one) was that there were the emergency pull cords all over the place and my mother kept accidentally pulling the one by her bed when she had the pillow up against it to read and they'd call down to our room to check on us. :p
It was my understanding that we were assigned this room last minute, and that anyone that requested a handicapped room would have gotten ours if need be, so we weren't taking it away from anyone. On older ships there may be less handicapped accessible rooms available, but there were quite a few on this ship.
I would stick with the room, but that's just me. I've also been assigned these rooms in hotels and we've always had pleasant experiences.
Laura

On the Handicap cabin I had (2023) on the Radiance there was a small "lip" around the shower. Water did NOT run all over the bathroom but stayed within the shower area. As I remember, there was a small ramp at the bathroom door which would keep water in the bathroom.

[quote name='Cruisinfanatic']Rediculous. Any cabin can smell bad and from reports, do sometimes.[/quote]

You know what? I've noticed that you tend to have a lot of terse and outwardly rude comments toward others on these boards. You have responded to my posts in the same manner, on this thread, and on others in the past.

Please cease and desist. Citing someone as being "ridiculous" isn't called for on these boards.

I have reported you as being a board abuser. A simple request: Try being a little bit less terse in your responses, thanks.

[quote name='johnjen']You know what? I've noticed that you tend to have a lot of terse and outwardly rude comments toward others on these boards. You have responded to my posts in the same manner, on this thread, and on others in the past.

Please cease and desist. Citing someone as being "ridiculous" isn't called for on these boards.

I have reported you as being a board abuser. A simple request: Try being a little bit less terse in your responses, thanks.[/quote]I guess you shouldn't read my comments then. Your response to the op was an opinion on your part based on something that you were told. Doesn't mean it's always the case. If cabins routinely had an odor, we'd hear it here every day.

After reading all these posts I had to chime in here... as you can see from my signature I have been on a lot of cruises and most of them were in a handicap since my husband uses a motorized scooter. I have NEVER once had an issue with a cabin smelling of anything foul. The cabins are different depending on the ship...the picture below is from Enchantment. some of the showers have a small lip to catch water some have large 4inch metal drains all around the shower for water to roll into...and for the most part they work well...when they don't an extra towel on the floor fixes the issue. The cabins are aproximately 1 1/5 the size of the non-handicap rooms. The real difference is the size, and the height of the sink and toilet...both higher than other cabins which is really not an issue.

As for the issue of odors...our friends recently could not stay in their cabin on a cruise until it was sanitized and all the bedding changed...the cabin reeked of smoke!

I would tell you that if the cabin was assigned to you it was because it had been held until all cabins are released to the general public because it had not been booked by someone needing the cabin...you will be contacted to change cabins if the situation changed and someone needed that particular cabin.

Whatever you decide to do, I wish you calm seas and a beautiful cruise!

[IMG]http://inlinethumb19.webshots.com/4754/2841943770046356061S425x425Q85.jpg[/IMG]

[SIZE=4]The cabins are not flagged & they do not "hold" HC cabins. The cruise lines also do not "move" someone out of the cabin. We've called & have been told there were no hc cabins avail period......I've even asked if they could check on moving someone that might not need it. Of course, they do not know if you have a need for it or not......

Please Please Please do not take the cabins because they are bigger. We would never be able to cruise if everyone did this because my DH is paraplegic & TOTALLY confined to a chair & cannot fit through the doorways on a standard cabin. We already don't get the "perks" others do.....limited selection, NO upgrades etc....
[/SIZE]

[quote name='Fblack']On the Handicap cabin I had (2023) on the Radiance there was a small "lip" around the shower. Water did NOT run all over the bathroom but stayed within the shower area. As I remember, there was a small ramp at the bathroom door which would keep water in the bathroom.[/quote]
Yes, the shower did have a lip. ;) I should have said ledge! We had to roll up towels and lay them around the lip, to soak up any water that tried to escape.

I wonder what the Op has decided to do. Hope they kept the stateroom. Those bow rooms are usually unique, too!

[quote name='johnjen']You know what? I've noticed that you tend to have a lot of terse and outwardly rude comments toward others on these boards. You have responded to my posts in the same manner, on this thread, and on others in the past.

I have reported you as being a board abuser. A simple request: Try being a little bit less terse in your responses, thanks.[/quote]

I'm so glad to see your post! The person you are commenting on was VERY rude to me on another post and I am still shaking my head in disbelief. While I'm sorry he was rude to you too, I'm relieved that it isn't just me.

[quote name='ndsumfun'][SIZE=4]The cabins are not flagged & they do not "hold" HC cabins. The cruise lines also do not "move" someone out of the cabin. We've called & have been told there were no hc cabins avail period......I've even asked if they could check on moving someone that might not need it. Of course, they do not know if you have a need for it or not...... [/SIZE]

[SIZE=4]Please Please Please do not take the cabins because they are bigger. We would never be able to cruise if everyone did this because my DH is paraplegic & TOTALLY confined to a chair & cannot fit through the doorways on a standard cabin. We already don't get the "perks" others do.....limited selection, NO upgrades etc....[/SIZE]
[/quote]

Ann - I am sorry but I have to disagree with you here. We had to provide a Doctor note indicating the need for a handicap cabin that RCI has on file...a couple of years ago when we were a week away from a trip on Navigator someone from RCI called us to tell us that someone needed a handicap cabin and they did not see our letter in their files and unless we could produce one we were going to be moved from the cabin we had booked 12 months earlier. Needless to say our doctor faxed another right away and all was well. Just because it has not happened to you does not mean it does not happen. Have a nice evening.

Archived