What have I done? (bought an upgrade)

Flindy&Doc

We were just offered an upgrade from an EE guarantee to BA for $199 p/p on our Alaskan cruise on the Ryndam. We did it. Now, did we do the right thing? We're thinking a balcony will be worth a lot in Alaska. Opinions?
Sounds like a pretty good deal to me! :D

Here's the way I would look at the situation, if I were you.

You were meant to have that balcony:D Enjoy the scenery.

A similar offer came my way on the Veendam last time, and it was a move I was glad I made.

Happy cruising!

We were just offered an upgrade from an EE guarantee to BA for $199 p/p on our Alaskan cruise on the Ryndam. We did it. Now, did we do the right thing? We're thinking a balcony will be worth a lot in Alaska. Opinions?

Wow! I couldn't get a balcony last year in Alaska and I booked 8 months in advance...

........... Now, did we do the right thing? We're thinking a balcony will be worth a lot in Alaska. Opinions?

You absolutely did the right thing and you won't be disappointed. Be very glad you got such a great rate for the upgrade.

I got a call the other day offering us an upgrade to a suite on our upcoming cruise (from an AB) ... yes!!! Lucky us ... for a mere additional $4000 (just about the entire cost for the AB).

I told the TA to give me a call when HAL decides to offer it for just a tad less, like about $3000:D .

Have a fantastic cruise in Alaska!!!

That's a great deal, and you will be so glad you took the offer. I enjoyed standing or sitting out on the balcony on my Alaska cruises, and even if you are in the cabin, you can pull the drapes back and enjoy the scenery. You also get some extra space in the cabin, too.

Enjoy Alaska.

You are going to be absolutely glad you did it. We would not go to Alaska without a balcony! Personally, I prefer the verandah even more on an Alaskan cruise than on the Carribbean cruises. You will love sitting out there and enjoying the view . . . having a drink or a meal. And what a deal! Congrats!

There is nothing like sitting on your balcony hearing the rice krispy sound of the glaciers, then hearing what sounds like thunder and seeing a glacier calve in front of you, all while you sip on the tea and coffee eating a bagel and salmon that room service brought.

Oh, yes you made the right decision -- don't look back, having a balcony in Alaska is one of life greater pleasures.

My folks did Alaska on Volendam this past June in a balcony cabin - they LOVED it. Said it was wonderful to have breakfast out there on the verandah, or a pre-dinner cocktail, or watching scenery.

It was their first HAL cruise. They had crossed the Atlantic a couple of years ago on RCCL in a balcony cabin & figured they couldn't go back. Good choice! :)

I have a friend at work who has not taken a lot of cruises, but he did one to Alaska last year. As he has done in the past, he booked a relatively inexpensive outside cabin for this cruise. He told me when he returned that he had made a major mistake there. Alaska is the one place where you ABSOLUTELY need to have a balcony to properly enjoy the voyage. He said it was very inconvenient to have to stay on the outside decks for hours for fear of missing a wildlife sighting or something of that nature. He said friends he was traveling with had a much better time relaxing on their balcony and watching the scenerary from that more comfortable vantage point.

He said if he ever sailed Alaska again, no question, he would spring the extra bucks to get a balcony. Other destinations he probably wouldn't bother, but Alaska would definitely be worth it.

You done good.

Blue skies ...

--rita

You did the right thing. Keep in mind, once you do a balcony, you'll never look back! LOL! ;)

We just got home from Alaska cruise 2 days ago. We had a balcony, and I wouldn't go any other way!! We saw humpback whales, orca whales, and a bear..all from our own balcony! The scenery was awesome. We spent so much time just sitting and watching the beauty go by!!! It was also nice to have room service for breakfast and eat it on our balcony. You will not regret paying the extra!

Archived