Pacific Star

rockie

Sorry to the cruisers that missed out on the trip. I don't wish to make light of it, but I have been trying to finish a timelapse video of the Star which was started after the storm.

I had hoped for a big ending with the Star heading to Brisbane a couple of days ago, then yesterday, then this morning.

Pity I couldn't end with a happy ending yet.

Cheers

Ah Geoff, that was gr8, loved your choice of music as usual.

Hope we get one of the 37 new ships on order -This was part of an email i recieved today----

Great news for value-conscious cruise lovers! As of today, there are 37 new cruise ships on order for the world's major lines, the highest number in more than 10 years. These vessels will launch at various times during the next five years, and all of this new inventory will ensure a continuing supply of last-minute markdowns customers who can wait to book within 90 days of departure.

In the next 16 months, eight ships will embark on their maiden voyages for seven different cruise lines. Six of these ships will be new-builds and two are existing ships -- one will change hands to sail for new owners, and the other will sail for the same cruise line, but will be refurbished and renamed.

Ah Geoff, that was gr8, loved your choice of music as usual.

Thanks Geri,

It was supposed to build to a big ending though, and went pfffffftttttt with the cancelled cruise. Am still looking for a happy ending for a re-edit

Cheers

Geoff

Hope we get one of the 37 new ships on order -This was part of an email i recieved today----

Great news for value-conscious cruise lovers! As of today, there are 37 new cruise ships on order for the world's major lines, the highest number in more than 10 years. These vessels will launch at various times during the next five years, and all of this new inventory will ensure a continuing supply of last-minute markdowns customers who can wait to book within 90 days of departure.

In the next 16 months, eight ships will embark on their maiden voyages for seven different cruise lines. Six of these ships will be new-builds and two are existing ships -- one will change hands to sail for new owners, and the other will sail for the same cruise line, but will be refurbished and renamed.

More hand me downs I expect. But they will still be improvements. Most of these new ones are two big for our facilities. Sun \ Dawn Princess are about as big as can fit under the coathanger to berth at Wharf8.

Do you have any more info on these new ships? I agree that it will be a good time for last minute bargains.

Cheers

Geoff

Hello,

We've just posted a news item on Cruise Critic detailing the Pacific Star issues: http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=2142. As usual, the boards were especially helpful in information gathering and getting some perspective.

I'm still wondering if anyone's heard about the ship's fate for its August 15 departure. Remarkably, I can't seem to find anything on the P&O site, and the time difference means it's unlikely that I'll hear back until tomorrow.

Thanks,

A question on the refund......

P&O have refunded the cruise fare on the cancelled cruises

and offerred 25% off a future cruise.

What does the 25% relate to?

Brochure price?

Early booking price?

I have seen brochures for their cruises where 40% is offerred

if you book early.

If you only get 25% off the brochure price its no big deal!!!!!!

Do you have any more info on these new ships? I agree that it will be a good time for last minute bargains.

Here is the current list of newbuilds as listed on maritimematters.com

Dake's List: NEW CRUISE SHIPS ON ORDER

Compiled by Shawn J. Dake - updated June 27, 2007

Cruise Line
Ship Name / Tonnage / Date Due / Builder

AIDA CRUISES

AIDAbella 68,500 April 2008 Meyer Werft

UNNAMED 68,500 April 2009 Meyer Werft

UNNAMED 68,500 Spring 2010 Meyer Werft

AMERICAN CRUISE LINES / PEARL SEA CRUISES

UNNAMED 8,700 June, 2008 Irving Shipbuilding

UNNAMED 8,700 June, 2009 Irving Shipbuilding

CARNIVAL CRUISE LINES

CARNIVAL SPLENDOR 112,000 Spring 2008 Fincantieri

CARNIVAL DREAM 130,000 OCTOBER 2009 Fincantieri

CARNIVAL MAGIC 130,000 JUNE 2011 Fincantieri

CELEBRITY CRUISES

SOLSTICE 122,000 September 2008 Meyer Werft

EQUINOX 122,000 Summer 2009 Meyer Werft

ECLIPSE 122,000 June 2010 Meyer Werft

Unnamed 122,000 Fall 2011 Meyer Werft

COSTA CROCIERE

COSTA LUMINOSA 92,700 Spring 2009 Fincantieri

UNNAMED 112,000 Summer 2009 Fincantieri

UNNAMED 92,700 March 2010 Fincantieri

CUNARD LINE

QUEEN VICTORIA 90,000 December 2007 Fincantieri

DISNEY CRUISE LINE

Unnamed 122,000 2011 Meyer Weft

Unnamed 122,000 2012 Meyer Weft

easyCruise

UNNAMED 7,500 (letter of Intent) Delivery TBA Neorion Holdings

HOLLAND AMERICA LINE

EURODAM 86,000 Summer 2008 Fincantieri

UNNAMED 86,000 October 2010 Fincantieri

MEDITERRANEAN SHIPPING CRUISES

MSC POESIA 89,600 March 2008 Aker Yards France

MSC FANTASIA 133,500 June 2008 Aker Yards France

MSC SLENDIDA (intended name MSC SERENATA) 133,500 March 2009 Aker Yards France

MSC MAGNIFICA 89,600 2010 Aker Yards France

NORWEGIAN CRUISE LINE (NCL AMERICA)

NORWEGIAN GEM 93,000 October 2007 Meyer Werft

UNNAMED 150,000 2009 Aker Yards France

UNNAMED 150,000 2010 Aker Yards France

OCEANIA CRUISES

UNNAMED 65,000 Fall 2010 Fincantieri

UNNAMED 65,000 Summer 2011 Fincantieri

P & O CRUISES

VENTURA 116,000 April 2008 Fincantieri

UNNAMED 116,000 2010 Fincantieri

PRINCESS CRUISES

RUBY PRINCESS 113,000 Fall 2008 Fincantieri

ROYAL CARIBBEAN INTERNATIONAL

INDEPENDENCE OF THE SEAS 158,000 January 2008 Aker Yards Finland

UNNAMED (Project Genesis 1) 220,000 Fall 2009 Aker Yards Finland

UNNAMED (Project Genesis 2) 220,000 August 2010 Aker Yards Finland

SEABOURN CRUISE LINE

SEABOURN ODYSSEY 32,000 Spring 2009 T. Mariotti S.p.A. Genoa

UNNAMED 32,000 Spring 2010 T. Mariotti S.p.A. Genoa

SILVERSEA CRUISES

UNNAMED 36,000 November, 2009 Fincantieri, Ancona

TOTAL NEW SHIPS ON ORDER 41

TOTAL GROSS TONNAGE ON ORDER 3,927,100

Hello,

We've just posted a news item on Cruise Critic detailing the Pacific Star issues: http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=2142. As usual, the boards were especially helpful in information gathering and getting some perspective.

I'm still wondering if anyone's heard about the ship's fate for its August 15 departure. Remarkably, I can't seem to find anything on the P&O site, and the time difference means it's unlikely that I'll hear back until tomorrow.

Thanks,

G'Day Dan,

I read the article on my way in, and it is nice to see that cruise info from our shores is newsworthy. To credit the performer, the Hermans Hermits song is an Australian version performed by Ross D. Wylie. (Pictured on the left)

abc5095.jpg

Jane, I can only guess it is that Laura usually posts the news links to the news board. I figure since we love it here so much (it works like an Aussie\ Kiwi cruiser board for all issues, not just P&O), he was nice enough to let us know.

Cheers

Geoff

A question on the refund......

P&O have refunded the cruise fare on the cancelled cruises

and offerred 25% off a future cruise.

What does the 25% relate to?

Brochure price?

Early booking price?

I have seen brochures for their cruises where 40% is offerred

if you book early.

If you only get 25% off the brochure price its no big deal!!!!!!

I believe it's 25% off on top of the cheapest fare you can get. I had workmates who had a cruise (their honeymoon) on Pacific Sky cancelled and they were told they'd get the 25% off already discounted fares if there were any available. There were also people on our cruise on Pacific Star that had used the discount from a cancelled Pacific Sky cruise, and they had a similar story.

I believe it's 25% off on top of the cheapest fare you can get. I had workmates who had a cruise (their honeymoon) on Pacific Sky cancelled and they were told they'd get the 25% off already discounted fares if there were any available. There were also people on our cruise on Pacific Star that had used the discount from a cancelled Pacific Sky cruise, and they had a similar story.

Thank you for that information. It would have to be like that to mean anything.

I am always amused when the brochures come out and they list the "brochure" price of a cruise and then beside it give the Early booking discount price.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jessica3152 viewpost.gif

anything built before 1992 is already too old!!!!

Pacific Dawn was built 1991.

Precisely...Once again P&O Australia has been forced to take old tonnage. Pacific Sky was 17 years when she was sent to Australia. Pacific Dawn will be 16. Whilst they persist with the old tonnage the maintenance hassles and bad publicity will persist.

Hi all,

I am due to travel on Star in 4 days and at the moment she is about 8 hrs away from Brisbane, I called P&O this morning and they still dont know what is going to happen with the cruise due to leave on the 15th August, funny thing is the girl on the phone tried to tell me that Star was already in drydock getting fixed, and I had to tell her to check the web cams and get some more info as she left NZ on Thursday afternoon and it is 2 days back to Brisbane. They say she will go into dry dock and hopefully be ready by Wednesday, it the meantime our group of 8 are on our holidays from work, but still dont know if we are going. Im a bit dissapointed as on the last cruise we went on last year, we had new cruise terminal issues and problem on board and now this...Why does Australia get all the old crappy boats. Its very annoying..

Hey Mac & Trudy..

We hope you get to go as well, Im sitting here at my computer, when really I should start packing, as I have to pack for 5, Kids cant do their own. But I just cant bring myself to start, because I feel then it will make the disappoinment worse. Part of the fun of a holiday is the exitement leading up to the trip, that part has been wrecked now..I dont know what to tell the kids, I dont want them getting disappointed if we are not going,and just really want to know if its yes or no.. P&O says they will only call if its a no. The waiting is killing me..

Hi,

I just watched your utube movie, we are due to leave on Star in 4 days, and while I had a little laugh, I almost started crying as well, I really need this holiday. Maybe it will happen if tonight I "wish upon a star".

I still plan to recut this video with a happy ending. I am hoping your sailaway will be that ending.

Wishing upon a star is meant to mean hope rather than disappointment. I hope your dreams come true.

Geoff

Who is responsible for safey at sea? There have numerious events with P&O ships bases in Australia. The Fair Princess, the SKy Princess sailing rusted and sailing leaking out of Auckland. How does the Pacific Star cruise ship get so damaged by a storm that it had to be dry docked for repairs this would suggest structural damage.

Once again the ship is to sail empty from Auckland to Brisbane for repairs to a ventilation shaft?? When is P&O going to inform the cruising public what is the extent of the problem and the safety implications.

There should be an inquiry by a idependent marine body into the safety of the P&O ships sailing out of Austrtalia. The Aviation industry would be subject to investigation with so many incidents.

A disaster is waiting to happern.

To all those due to travel on the Star on Wednesday....

I have everything crossed for you...toes, fingers, arms legs:D . I can't even imagine how you must all be feeling.

cheers!!

Karen;)

Ditto from me

I was on the ill-fated Pacific Star cruide from Auckland on the 8th, and I have to say P&O aren't exactly in my good books at the moment. They kept us pretty much in the dark (I had to buy th local paper to actually find out what the problem was), and the way they handled everything was pretty poor. (A lot of people from NZ had travel arrangements booked in Australia for after the cruise, and P&O cancelled the lot of them.)

As for the 25% credit, I was told it's 25% of what you paid for your cancelled cruise. Unfortunately I think a lot of people still think it's a 25% discount on their next cruise, which it certainly isn't.

My only consolation is my wife and I were on the Christmas cruise on the Star last December, and we had a fantastic time.

We'll probably sail with P&O again (if only to get our credit), but it certainly won't be on the Star. We'll either wait for the Sky to come to Brisbane, or fly down to Sydney and get on the Dawn.

Archived