a new Open Seating option for dinner

Guest scfjjb
I don't understand why everyone is so against this before they try it. Try it, if you hate it, let them know.

Because many of us have tried it (Princess and NCL) and don't like it. Princess says you have the "option" but most of the time traditional is wait listed.

I had a response to my comments regarding freestyle dining, from Adam Goldstein. ... only one floor of the dining room on Freedom will be freestyle, the others will be traditional

Did he mention what floor would be lost? After a number of cruises, we

not only have favorite floors, but favorite tables.

I can already see this OPTION breaking up a nice dining room and pushing

traditional diners off into the undesirable corners ( they know they will

fill these tables anyway ) while the nice tables go to the Open Seating crowd

who will expect to pick and choose.

I have always looked at seating assignments as "pot luck" but now I wonder

is I will have to change my preference just to get a nice table...

Thanks

Brian

One question, if you haven't tried anytime dining, how do you know you won't like it?

I keep telling my vegetarian friend " If you don't try the Prime Rib, how can

you be sure you don't like it"

Why should I have to spend my vacation dollars "trying" anything. I feel

RCI has a great product. I mentioned in the OP that one of my favorite

things on a cruise was the formal dining. Sure I might like the anytime

dining..... BUT I would still be loosing one of my favorite things.

Folks on this thread should read the last couple of pages on HAL's board on "Anytime Dining" on HAL?" Sounds like lots of folks who want traditional are getting waitlisted even if they book pretty far ahead. HAL calls their program "As you Wish" but it may be "As HAL Wishes" Speculation is that the cruise line is saving large blocks of traditional for big groups.

To the OP who asked about tipping when you do open seating, you are required to pay auto-gratuity.

It has to be a cost saver for the cruise lines. We experienced it on NCL on a 19 day trans-Atlantic and it was the pits. The servers hustled but they were spread too thin (cost savings), orders were incomplete, prepared wrong, basic service like water glass refills, bread, butter, were completely lacking. Dinner took a couple of hours after being seated, lunch/breakfast an hour plus. Like the OP, we had "tip" money in our pocket and in 19 days only twice used it and that was for service that would have been "basic" on other cruises--we got our food in a timely manner, it was as ordered, bread and butter was on the table, we were asked if we wanted dessert, coffee, etc.

Previously, on Princess we opted for PC and it was not so bad. We left our auto tips in place but took a few dollars to tip out servers and did so a few times. The downside to PC was having to wait to be seated a couple of times up to half an hour (they gave us beepers). However, that experience told us that we preferred traditional seating over PC and would go that route in the future when given the choice and plan to on our upcoming Freedom of the Seas cruise.

What I'm afraid of is that their "experiment" will save them enough money they will proclaim that everyone just loved it (who counts the votes?) and that it will be the wave of the future (pun intended) with no choice on all the ships. What I am more afraid of with the popularity (and profitability) of the "specialty" pay for restaurants is that, in the future, if you want white table cloth service in the regular dining rooms, you will pay an extra add-on on your cruise fare. Otherwise, it is either the grill or pay restaurants.

NCL started out charging $5 (gratuity) in Le Bistro back in the 90's. Now it is $15, if you want the really good stuff, add another $10 and they let it be known that an additional gratuity is appreciated. Just like their auto-tips went to "service charge", no opting out although I have heard some people have) and that tips were not required (shades of HAL's old policy) but certainly welcomed when given directly to those you interact with on a personal level like your room steward , server, bar tender, or anyone else you might tip landside. If nothing else, the auto-tips has probably significantly decreased the amount of stiffing and/or under tipping the recommended amount for the crew so maybe the crew is making more money.

I wonder when (and I feel it is a "when" rather than an "if") the other lines switch from the verbage "auto-tip" to "service charge" (and then let their customers know that tips are "appreciated" over that along with recommendations of what the "appreciation" should be) how long it will be before the "law" gets on them to make them include the "service charge" in the basic cruise price like they did when they started jacking up "port charges" to keep their basic advertised rate down? Remember the ads that would state "$550* for a seven day cruise" Then you got your magnifying glass out found a good light to read the fine print at the bottom of the ad and saw that the * was "plus port charges" and when you called your TA you found out the port charges were $250 per person when in actuality they were only $25 a head and the rest was to cover the cost of doing business in the ports--docking fees, bringing on water, etc. I still get variations of that with European river cruise and tour company brochures that tell me the cost has been reduced by X amount of dollars only to find the "port charges" or the special airfare to europe they have arranged has been raised to cover most of that amount.

Anyway, good letter, Brian ,and let's keep our fingers crossed that their "experiment" does not reap them tons of bucks in savings so that they will keep traditional dining an option.

Tucker in Texas

Because many of us have tried it (Princess and NCL) and don't like it. Princess says you have the "option" but most of the time traditional is wait listed.

Again I'll ask, why are you assuming the RCL program will mirror Princess?

And another big promblem that I haven't seen mentioned here...

People complain about waiting for a table at "anytime dining", well one big reason is that people who have "tradional dining" like to go to the anytime dining room if they miss their "tradional" time. Say they get back from excursion and just don't feel like rushing around to make it to the dining room at their set time, so they just waltz into the anytime dining room. Happens on Princess all the time. Nobody checks to see that traditional diners are going into the anytime dining room.

On the Crown Princess last July, they asked to see our cards EVERY night at dinner to be sure that we weren't "traditional dining" folks sneaking into "anytime" dining rooms.

Another big problem that I haven't seen mentioned here.......

The annoyance of being questioned by the dining room monitors who demand to see your card to be sure that you aren't cheating!!!!!

On the Caribbean Princess this past February, we had anytime dining and were NEVER asked to show our cards.

Perhaps if they asked everyone to show their cards, they wouldn't be able to blame the long waits and other problems on all those pesky traditional diners who insist on "sneaking into" the anytime dining rooms, and then they would have to deal with the real problems instead of shifting the blame to the guests.:rolleyes:

Cruising is not just about visiting ports - we are often paying for the experience that one can only find on a cruiseship. For my family, the traditional dining is one of those experiences that quite simply cannot be duplicated. For those that enjoy "freestyle" dining, there are ships that offer it. I agree 100% with the OP and hope that RCI will hear the message. They offer open seating in the Windjammer as well as in the dining room for breakfast - but for dinner, so much would be lost without this cruising tradition. If I wanted freestyle cruising, I would cruise with someone else. I enjoy my tablemates and wait staff and would not want it any other way. I can get open seating at home...

I received my reply from RCI today, and I think that its only fair

to post it. If I can ramble on about what I think, they should get

their 2 cents also.

I did contact them for clarification, and Open Seating will be limited

to the 5th floor dining room. So it is probably less than 1/3 of the dining

room.

From RCI:

Good Day,

Thank you for your correspondence. I want to make it clear this is an

additional option to dining.

There is still Main and Second dining the same as you have experienced in

the past. Likewise there is still the Windjammer Cafe, the Solarium, Johnny

Rockets, Portofino, Chops Grille, and Jade, we are now in a trial phase to

add open dining for a limited number of people on the Freedom of the Seas

sailings this fall. I want to stress that if this trial phase is successful

it does not replace Main and Second dining but would be an additional

option for selected ships and sail dates to use in the future.

Please let me know if I can be of help in the future.

Regards,

Open Seating Support Team

I know the feeling!

I was amazed when on the Serenade, 2.5 years after cruising on her

two of our favorite barmen picked us out of the crowd in a busy room.

Its experiences like this that keep me coming back.

I am going out this Sunday on Mariner and part of the fun will be seeing

who if anyone from our past onboard.

Brian

You are so right. My husband and I first sailed on Mariner in 2004. There was a lovely woman who was one of our waiters on her very first cruise. Two years later we were on our second Mariner cruise and on the very first night, this lovely lady (Alma) came over to us and said "Hello, do you remember me?" For some reason, we immediately did! Every single night she came to our table and gave us both hugs. I couldn't BELIEVE that she rememered us! We even exchanged email for a short while before she went home for her vacation. I'm afraid that she didn't come back since I haven't heard from her any more.

I agree totally with Cookie Monster. One of the reasons that my husband and I do not eat in the dining room at breakfast and lunch is that I feel that I'm being "herded" into the dining room like cattle. I much, much, much prefer to be at the same table, with the same people, being served by the same waiter for many of the same reason mentioned. IF RCCL went totally to this way of dining we possibly would seek another cruise line, only because we feel strongly about it. If there were options where one floor had open dining and the other traditional then I see no problem.

I would give it a try, though we prefer traditional seating... I like the idea of options.

The complaints I hear about NCL is that with Open Dining, sometimes it gets crowded and you have to wait...

I will say this...

The option of Open Dining will definitely mean re-tooled menus and more than likely, more food options... that opens up what the kitchen can accomplish.

their 2 cents also.

room.

From RCI:

Good Day,

Regards,

All well and good - ask them if they will guarantee that no one who who wants Main or Late will ever be forced to take open. If they will, OK.

Personally, I don't see what the problem is if it's in addition to traditional dining.

Some of us would prefer open dining. Some prefer traditional. It seems it's the best of both worlds.

Now, I wanna know when it will be on all ships. ;)

We are going on Azamara Quest in November with two other couples. They have ONLY open seating. It should be interesting to see how it works out. I read a post on the Azamara site that said that there was no wait for a table for two or four, but a table for six sometimes had to wait. I would not be happy to have to wait very long for a table.

I still regret that they gave up traditional seating for breakfast and lunch. I always loved that the assistant waiter knew after the first day that I only drink decaf coffee, etc. There was always a steaming hot cup of decaf waiting for me every morning. Now if we go to the dining room for breakfast or lunch (which we often do on sea days) I have to continually repeat my preferences each meal - sometimes more than once. It's frustrating, but we do like the change from the buffets. We find it much more relaxing to be served than to try to balance a plate and a mug while looking for a table in the Windjammer.

In any event, I'm not getting my shorts in a bunch over "open dining". We may or may not like it as well as traditional, but it's not going to ruin a vacation for us in any event.

Personally, I don't see what the problem is if it's in addition to traditional dining.

Some of us would prefer open dining. Some prefer traditional. It seems it's the best of both worlds.

Now, I wanna know when it will be on all ships. ;)

The issue is space management - the more you subdivide the main dining area, the more likely your personal preference won't be available for your cruise.

All well and good - ask them if they will guarantee that no one who who wants Main or Late will ever be forced to take open. If they will, OK.

All I can think of is the one time I was foolish enough to read my cruise

contract. Pages and pages of fine print attached to my ticket. By the time

I was done I honestly wondered what I had signed on to. Nothing is at all

is guaranteed, in any way shape or form. They owe you nothing and there

is nothing you can do.

So I doubt we will be seeing a guarantee any time soon.

Especially when you can not even be guaranteed a first or

second seating now.....

That being said. I have been through thick and thin with RCI, hurricanes

and anything I can imagine going wrong. And although nothing is

guaranteed they have ALWAYS done the right thing by me. They may not

be big on giving guarantees, but they have great customer service =-}

Brian

their 2 cents also.

room.

From RCI:

Good Day,

Regards,

Cookie Monster -- Thanks for posting your reply and the clarification. This is the first time I have heard that deck 5 of the dining room will be used for open seating. Some of the original threads had open on the lower deck -- the largest deck. So open could be less than 1/3rd. of the dining room.

Interesting also that they now have an Open Seating Support Team. They are the ones gettting any negative feedback that I've heard about (on other threads) from cruisers who do not want open seating when they call with the offer.

That being said. I have been through thick and thin with RCI, hurricanes

and anything I can imagine going wrong. And although nothing is

guaranteed they have ALWAYS done the right thing by me. They may not

be big on giving guarantees, but they have great customer service =-}

Brian

I'd keep the tone of the above when you fill out your TWO comments cards for your back to back. Positive remarks like yours (coupled with STRONG support for traditional dining) seem to work well with RCI.

... when you fill out your TWO comments cards for your back to back....

Actually something not many people mention, is that every cruiser gets an

opinion. DW and I often have differing views on different aspects of a cruise,

and the pursers desk as never refused me a second card when we each

wanted to express our own views. That would be four cards on the back to

back. Not to mention the second cruise is with a group of 10.....

They do require you to sign for the second card, but it is an option.

Actually something not many people mention, is that every cruiser gets an

opinion. DW and I often have differing views on different aspects of a cruise,

and the pursers desk as never refused me a second card when we each

wanted to express our own views. That would be four cards on the back to

back. Not to mention the second cruise is with a group of 10.....

They do require you to sign for the second card, but it is an option.

4 cards would be awesome. If I could get DH to take the time to put strong support for traditional on his card, I may do that on our upcoming NOS and FOS. We may also be able to get an extra card from the concierge.

Archived