US AIR Good or Bad

Sweet Carolina Girl

I have no particular allegiance to US Air, but find it interesting that we have a 50/50 reaction to the airline's experiences. I'm thinking you'd find the same reactions pretty much on most airlines. We've had "not so great" experiences on United and Delta. .......Our goal is always to fly non stop when possible. Erases the chance of so many problems.
]

I so hear you. Funny thing I had nothing but positives on my United (flew them twice) and Delta flights (once) so you are more than correct. It could happen anywhere and on any airline at any time. Non-stops are far more preferable but when airlines have a hub system within the US you do run into a few road blocks.

I can only speak from my own experiences and I suppose the same can be said for everyone else. In fact, I never went to San Juan so cannot comment on the state of affairs at the airport itself.

To greatam......YIKES! US Airways worse? Never did America West but as an accountant I must say that I think bean counters should not have a voice in servicing the public. I'll probably be thrown out of the "Cartel" for saying that but oh if ever a truer word was spoken..........Flying off to catch a ship tomorrow and hoping I don't encounter a bean counter.:D

David

Just got off of US Air and I would not fly with them or any other airline for that matter (TSA). Had to fly from ILM to ALB (NY) for semi-emergency. On the flight up TSA or US air broke one suitcase. How on earth are you supposed to know who ? On the way back, they managed to break my other suitcase. Two for two :( No one wants to take responsibility. I chose not to use my tsa locks, but used the ties for our luggage. Of course, everything was searched. I was very careful not to pack prohibited items. Still have no idea what they thought they saw... To top things off they put me through the "puffer" machine. Just pulled me out of the blue as far as I know. Now, I am a 60 yr old female who just feels like a criminal of some sort. I realize that all these measures are supposedly for our own security but I will not fly with any carrier in the future unless forced to do so. As far as the planes are concerned, pretty old stuff IMO. Service, of course, is minimal. It did not matter to me that much, because I just wanted to go from point A to point B asap. I realize some of my comments are tsa related and perhaps not US airways related so take them for what they are worth. Broken luggage on a flight really gets me going no matter who is at fault!

]

To greatam......YIKES! US Airways worse? Never did America West but as an accountant I must say that I think bean counters should not have a voice in servicing the public. I'll probably be thrown out of the "Cartel" for saying that but oh if ever a truer word was spoken..........Flying off to catch a ship tomorrow and hoping I don't encounter a bean counter.:D

David

Management of US Air has NOT resolved a lot of the merger issues. FA, mechanics, etc between the two companies are employed under different contracts (until the contracts expire and are renegotiated). The computers don't work together (even though they keep trying). The RULES are different, the planes are different. American West used to be a decent little airline that routinely got you from point A to B pretty much on time in a decent, clean plane. Now you may get an America West plane (that is clean) or a US plane (that is dirty)-all due to the different rules and contracts governing cleaning the planes. You may also get FA that are fairly happy doing their jobs (America West) or FA that HATE the company, if not their jobs (US Air contract with big pay cut as a result of their bankruptcy).

Just not a pleasant situation. Flying can be a real pain in today's airline environment. I REFUSE to make it any more difficult than it normally is by getting on a US Air flight.

The computers don't work together (even though they keep trying).

While I agree with the rest of your point (though, I've been on FILTHY America West planes too and with surly agents for sure), the computer systems now "work together" because the airline merged the two reservation systems (Shares and Sabre) into one in March, so instead of having two unrelated systems, they have now got one messy system that not all agents are good at - though it's definetly improving.

While I agree with the rest of your point (though, I've been on FILTHY America West planes too and with surly agents for sure), the computer systems now "work together" because the airline merged the two reservation systems (Shares and Sabre) into one in March, so instead of having two unrelated systems, they have now got one messy system that not all agents are good at - though it's definetly improving.

Again, I did not make myself clear. Yes, the computers are SUPPOSED to work together. Yes, they do most of the time. But a messy system-exactly on point. Who could forget the computer merger-shut down the entire airline?? Just another example of poor planning.

You asked in another thread what I was doing in Watertown-remember when US Air had the fare glitch-$1.86 through Watertown and Lebanon, New Hampshire? 28 tickets, which got me to Denver (4 times), Los Angeles (5 times), and Kansas City (5 times), all through Watertown. Spent a few nights in the neatest little B & B (right on the Lake). All in all, a lot of fun (and all trips that actually needed to be made-just took the long way around) and a whole lot of miles. Watertown did not know what hit them when all of a sudden, all kinds of strange people started showing up that had NO connection to Fort Drum.

My Sister travelled from Glasgow to Seattle in July using US Airways for the first time. Flight out they were delayed by 9 hours said due to weather??

Flight back again via Phil they had a short change between their flights and on arrival at their departure gate they were denied boarding as the flight was full. Whether they were overbooked or whether they had sold the seats to stand by passengers?

Their Son had called to confirm their flights on the Monday. They then had the most horrendous time. Left Seattle on Friday at 8am or at least were at the Airport for 8am. Eventually arrived home Sunday evening via Amsterdam. They were told the Saturday Glasgow flight was also full and they were put through the most awful ordeal by the US Airways staff. My Sister says she has never been spoken to by anyone in the way they were dealt with. There were several passengers in the same situation.

They eventually were sent at 1am to a Hotel told not to make any calls or to drink anything from the mini bar. Were given voucher for $5 x 2 for meal.

No compensation was offered but I think as they were bumped off the flight they should be due something. I remember years ago this happened to us in Boston having flown from San Fran. and they put us on the London flight then flew us up to Glasgow. Gave us each $300 in compensation and this voucher we were able to go to the North West desk in London and a cheque was written out there and then. We were initially upset with the overbooking but in the end we were only about 6 hours late in arriving home.

Their Son has since spoken to the Airline and they have offered them $150 each in vouchers. This is of no use to them as they would never fly with them again. They said the crew on the Amsterdam flight were good and they apologised for their ordeal. Said please do not judge us by this experience.

She has written to their TA as they were pushing these flights as they were much less expensive than BA. They had told the Agent that they wished to fly BA but against their better judgement they agreed to the US flight. She has also written to the Airline. Their baggage eventually arrived on the following Tuesday. Don't know where it had been just that it arrived.

My BIL says he will never travel to the US again where he has to enter the US at anything but his final destination. I tend to agree.

Sue

Many thanks for the article. I have emailed it to my Sister in Scotland and spoken with her today on the phone. She has yet to make a complaint to the Airline and has started with her TA and her Insurance company. She is very interested in that only 17% of flights to Glasgow have been on time in the past 2 months. Had she had any idea of this she certainly would not have booked with them. It was her TA who was pushing for this flight and it was about £200 each cheaper than BA. Most of all it was the way the 40 or so people were treated by the US staff. There were 8 passengers for Glasgow and she has no idea what happened to the other 5 as they were eventually sent to Amsterdam and then Glasgow from there. The episode ruined a great holiday for them and I do hope that the Airline will address their complaint but I doubt it. Well now I know to steer clear of them.

My Sister paid £645 each for their flights so not really cheap and she was assured by the TA that US Airways were a good option in flying from Glasgow.

The flight delay on the return journey at Phil was 27 hours which by any standard is not acceptable. They are obviously not prepared to use another Airline to get people home. Eventually after 12 hours at the Airport they were given details of a hotel but not even a phone call to the hotel or transport arranged for them. The US staff treated them disgracefully and my Sister is still reeling from the aftermath of what had been a fantastic holiday spoiled by the saga of the flights.

Sue

Why, oh why, do people just go for the cheaper option, without asking first asking themselves why it's so cheap?

It's to help us out here....if they weren't taking those terrible flights at bad times on problem carriers, we wouldn't have material to work with. :D

There is a desire of many for a idealized two-part solution. There's the part that says "I want THE BEST DEAL" with the attendant internal satisfaction in saving a buck. Perhaps with commodity items that's a good way to think. But for anything that has a qualitative component, it's simplistic and one-dimensional - vastly overstating the value of any monetary savings.

The other part is the lack of desire to do genuine research and evaluation of the entire price-performance equation associated with various airlines. Talking of the average traveler: Would they purchase a car just on the basis of price? What about the television, computer, camera - was it just an impulse buy on price? I don't think so - these are things that get at least some research and then a price-performance evaluation. But airplane tickets -- it's just give me that lowest fare and then I'll complain about the ticket lines, the baggage service, the inflight service, the lousy seats, the horrible connections, the early departure hour.....and so on. Much of which could be solved by asking those questions in advance. Like "why is that so cheap?" "What am I getting for the money, and what are the alternatives?"

Greatam could fly US or WN, but choses AA - on a VALUE basis. Same with you on BA. Same for me on NW. Price is a factor - sometimes a very important one. But the key is to know how much to weight it.

I would not recommend US Airways. We flew nonstop PHX to Kansas City last Jan. The departure from PHX was delayed 1.5 hours due to mechanical issues. Okay that happens, but I haven't flown in over 20 years and was a bit nervous. Not a good airlines for someone nervous about flying. I call the plane a rust bucket. It was rattly, with ripped seats and I couldn't hear what the pilot was saying on the loudspeaker. I DID feel unsafe.

The return flight was canceled just as we were about to board. No mention why. They just said over the PA system "Flight blah blah blah has been canceled." No apology or explanation. I actually was relieved because I was panicky at the thought of getting on another rust bucket. We were sent home on Southwest, which was a pleasure.

Archived