Costa Maya and Hurricane Dean discussion (merged)

memphislonghorn

We too count Majahual/Costa Maya as our favorite port of call and are deeply saddened by the landfall of Dean. So many wonderful residents in and around that area. A true gem that hadn't yet been tarnished by mass tourism and US fast food restaurants.

Our first visit there was as a substitute port of call for Cozumel. I remember many fellow passengers were upset about the change, refering to the port as "going to a dump" instead of a world class destination. After returning to the ship, I never heard another complaint. We spoke with 1 couple, that was not happy about the change in port, later that evening after setting sail. They said they were surprised at how much they loved Majahual.

We even returned for a long weekend last October.

g

This just breaks my heart :( I can not imagine the suffering of the people right now. I was suppose to see Costa Maya on my November trip- I am saddened I will not- but I am deeply saddened for those who call that area home :( My prayers are heading up for all of them.

I just put down a deposit last week via credit card with a local tour operator(David & Ivan) for a Mayan Ruins Tour in November. After reading the news, that obviously isint going to happen now. It looks about as bad as is can possibly get in Costa Maya. I really feel for those people down there.

I've been to Costa Maya two times before and it was(and still is) my favorite port simply because the locals are great and it's not one of those places that is over commercialized. They're rather primitive there. Those people work their a$$es off and earn every penny they get. It really bothers me to think that i've just spent thousands of dollars on a cruise and these people have absolutely nothing any more. One moment your little business is alive and kicking, next day..... nothing. How will they support their families? Can they even find their families?

Costa_Maya_Port_33.jpg

As for myself, i'm certainly not going to ask for my deposit back. $50 is pocket change to most of us(relatively). They need it much more than I do right now. All I can say is I wish I could do more. David(of David & Ivan Tours), if you're reading this(I know you keep up with the CruiseCritic boards), please know that we're all thinking about all of you down there.

I'm not telling anyone what to do with their money... it's yours, you worked hard for it. I'm just speaking on my own behalf, but I hope anyone who has put down a deposit with any local tour operator will simply let it go and not ask for a refund. Don't ask for your money back. They need it worse than we do right now.

Rather, go home tonight, and hug your wife, husband, kids, and realize how lucky we all are to be fortunate enough to be able to afford the luxuary of a cruise.

This is just my opinion..... I just wish there was more we could do.

On the bright side...... for all of those of you who know the "hole in the wall" story..... maybe Dean knocked down the darn wall to Chac Chi(the way it should be)

Doug

http://www.portillas.com/ I ran across this site while searching for information on the damage. It has a blog written by a person who lives at Costa Maya. It includes his thoughts and preparations as the storm approached. I thought some of you might be interested in reading it. I hope he has a chance to update it with information very soon.

I don't have any trips to Costa Maya planned, but I was there in January. I just wanted to say that's a really nice thing to do. David & Ivan and so many others in the Costa Maya/Majahual area have become dependant on the tourist dollar in these last few years, this storm could be devastating for them.

You're right- $50 to you might mean a few less drinks or photos on your next cruise, but it could mean so much to someone who's losing income every day the storm (and its aftermath) keeps visitors away.

PS- I'm in Charlotte, too!

My family and I were there in July. Actually it was about one month ago today. We spent a whole day on the beach across from the Plaza Maya in Majahual. It was the most amazing day, and the most perfect beach. A waiter named Pedro met our every need and a guy named Fernando hooked us up with snorkeling gear and a banana boat ride. And we all got massages from a group of girls who couldn't have been older than 16. They were all wonderful, warm people. I pray they are all okay, and that they can rebuild their lives without too much struggle. I have had tears in my eyes all morning thinking about them.

Thank you so much for posting the links.

My heart breaks knowing that Dean made a direct hit on this area. Costa Maya is one of my favorite ports, mainly because of Chac Chi. This is the area just to the right of the pier. Joaquin, the owner of Chac Chi, is in my thoughts as is his family, small staff and all in this area.

We are suppose to visit in September and again in November.... I'm hoping for a miracle.

For those who have been there, is it true that Majahual is what this report from usatoday claims?:

"Dean made landfall near Costa Maya, a cruise port near the Belize border that, according to the website CruiseCritic.com, was opened as a "faux village" in 2001 and handles more than 6,000 passengers a day. To the north, a string of new high-end resorts serve visitors to nearby ancient Mayan ruins."

I.e., is it really a "faux village"?

For those who have been there, is it true that Majahual is what this report from usatoday claims?:

"Dean made landfall near Costa Maya, a cruise port near the Belize border that, according to the website CruiseCritic.com, was opened as a "faux village" in 2001 and handles more than 6,000 passengers a day. To the north, a string of new high-end resorts serve visitors to nearby ancient Mayan ruins."

I.e., is it really a "faux village"?

Costa Maya (the port area) is indeed, a faux village, built just to serve as a port. However, Majahual, about 10 minutes to the south, is not a faux village. It is an absolutely precious, and very real, little fishing village.

The cruise port itself is a a constructed village for the cruise lines. Majahual is (I believe) a real village shortly to the south.

This report has a few more details than most so far:

http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/08/21/healthscience/storm.php

Note that the story says the army evacuated the area before landfall. I certainly hope so.

We will be "scheduled" to visit Costa Maya and Coz in a little over a month. The pier was my concern also. did they build it to withstand a hurricane and to what force?

I would imagine that since Progresso will not be hit directly with hurricane force winds they may start using their port more.

If Coz loses either of the other two piers they will really be hurting.

I'll be interested to see how the pier holds up; not much you can do to make it withstand a direct hit.

Interestingly, when Coz got hammered a couple of years ago, one of the main piers was almost completely destroyed, one was very heavily damaged, one sustained almost no damage at all. The one that was totally destroyed was the newest (and the one that was built to "tougher" current standards). The one that was heavily damaged was the other new one; the one that was still usable was the old municipal pier that was NOT built to the tighter new standards. :cool:

http://www.portillas.com/ I ran across this site while searching for information on the damage. It has a blog written by a person who lives at Costa Maya. It includes his thoughts and preparations as the storm approached. I thought some of you might be interested in reading it. I hope he has a chance to update it with information very soon.

Thanks for posting that Donna... I am saying prayers for Cliff and Toro. I know he said he was going to camp out in his truck... I truly hope they are okay. Sounds like he was getting the hell out of there and knew what he was doing. Looking at pics of his "view" are amazing... sadly, he may not have much to go home to... I hope he is okay, and hope he posts soon. When you put a face to this, it really does make your heart sink.

We visited Costa Maya in May of 2003 when it was a relatively new port. We didn't spend a lot of time at the dock area but walked south into the tiny fishing village of Majahual. It was so unspoiled and had the most lovely, little beach. I will keep all of the locals and their families in my thoughts as prayers. I cannot imagine what they have had to endure the last 24 hours.

As stated, the pier and its adjoining shops are the Faux Village. Its just so commercial and for me, has no charm.

As your walking down the pier and off to the right is Chac Chi, a real ecotourism resort, which has been there for a long time before the pier was built and was the owner of the land that the pier is built on. If you have been following the thread on Chac Chi you will know all about the double cross that happened to them. Nasty stuff. It has outraged alot of us here on Cruise Critic, thats why we support Chac Chi.

The town of Majahual, which is south of the pier, is a genuine fishing village, which was also there long before the pier was built.

I do hope Chac chi and the people of Majahual are ok. I would hate for Chac Chi to fall into the hands of the "Faux Village" owner. That woudl make me terribly sad indeed.

Marge

Starz723

Mahajual is a genuine fishing village (well loved by tourists) a couple miles south of the Costa Maya pier; its the real deal although was developing fast (say "paradise" and you can kiss it goodbye in today's developer clogged world :( )

The pier village includes faux-traditional shops, bars, and adjacent condo projects that was the "development". The "Peurto Maya"-"Costa Maya" oier complex represents Mexico City and US money little of which is ever seen by the Mayans of Quintana Roo state.

The Mayans of the interior (a few miles) are developing due to the presently salt water washed development on the coast. Chacchoben Village only acquired electricity when the grid serving the pier development was built around 2000. Mind you, the villagers barely own anything that use electricity. There are maybe 1 or 2 TV sets in the village owned by folks that charge a few pesos to the villagers that gather to watch. As Ivan commented, ironies abound when the favorite show of women that haul water great distance, cook tortillas on stone, and make clothing my hand is DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES... :D They believe what they see. :eek:

I'm sure they've seen plenty during the past day.

Getting potable water available is the first and foremost...

My husband and I fell in love with the quaint liittle fishing village Majahual this past February. We were looking forward to going past this next February. I am praying there was no loss of life at Costa Maya. Hopefully the cruise ships will be able to return in a few months--I know these people really depend on the tourists' dollars.

Thanks for posting this blog. I will be going back and looking for updates in the future. His last paragraph made my heart sink. And he wrote that when they were "only" predicting an 11 foot storm surge.

It was rather ironic to see the links to properties for sale at the bottom of the page. I doubt any of those properties are sellable now.

I also fell in love with Majahaul and the Costa Maya on our visit in March. We were planning to bring our whole family there for a land vacation, but it doesn't look like that will be happening now.

Chetumal didn't receive the NE quad of the storm - If you go to weatherunderground.com Dr Masters there talks about how Chetumal only received 115 mph max winds because it was on the south side of the eye.

Costa Maya received much different winds and storm surge. I am hoping for the best but 165 mph winds I don't expect to see much left.

My family and I were there in July. Actually it was about one month ago today. We spent a whole day on the beach across from the Plaza Maya in Majahual. It was the most amazing day, and the most perfect beach. A waiter named Pedro met our every need and a guy named Fernando hooked us up with snorkeling gear and a banana boat ride. And we all got massages from a group of girls who couldn't have been older than 16. They were all wonderful, warm people. I pray they are all okay, and that they can rebuild their lives without too much struggle. I have had tears in my eyes all morning thinking about them.

Leadft ~ I know just how you feel. I keep getting teary-eyed just thinking about the 2 beautiful, perfect days we've spent in Majahual. The kind, generous, hard-working people certainly didn't deserve this. Especially now that this area has starting to enjoy some sort of prosperity thanks to the cruise pax like us. Many prayers go out to all who are affected by Dean.

Elf

I have been following the path of Dean closely as it seems that we have recently been to just about every island/country in it's path. It definitely takes away that sense of detachment when you've met and befriended people at these places.

After turning on the news this morning and seeing that it was Mahajual that was a direct hit I was horrified....it is such a beautiful place but so terribly vulnerable, with the entire town laid out only a few hundred yards from the beach. My thoughts and prayers go out to all those affected in Mahajual and beyond, including Barbara and her staff at the Cat's Meow. We spent a glorious day there in mid-July and I can only hope they are all okay.

We spent a wonderful day at Cat's Meow with Barbara and Hugo in July as well, and if anyone hears anything about them, please let us know.

Right now I am sitting at my desk, looking at a photo of the beach at Costa Maya I took this past April. It is so beautiful, it looks unreal. I remember sitting on the beach, thinking , "this is paradise". I can't even imagine how it must be there now. We met so many nice locals in Mahajual, my thoughts and prayers are with them, that they ride through this safely and are able to rebuild what they have lost.

We are having the same experience! I have my Mahahual photo as my computer desktop and it is in my office. Every time I look at the photo I am instantly overcome with warm happy feelings of paradise. The beach's intense beauty still catches me today. My thoughts and prayers are with everyone there!!!

Archived