Is it really this stuffy

RnD

After 48 cruises my wife and I have decided to try Cunard. We had tried to avoid this line due to the "class system" which still seems to exist to a degree on their vessels, but felt it would be fun. After reading many of the threads on here I wonder if we are doing the right thing. We are booked for a ten day Carribean on January 3rd from NY, and are (as I have seen on here) booked in "steerage class,: in an A2 cabin.

After seeing long discussions talking about wearing jeans ("I would never even own a pair"), or which fork to use when I have to question how much fun thius trip wil be for us or my Mom who is also taking the trip as a single?

We have taken mainly Celebrity, Princess, and HAL trips, but have also sailed on Seadream, and Radisson. We never found nor saw anything like some of the discussions that go on here. I like to relax on a trip, and do not want to worry about who has the best jewelry, or who wore the same outfit twice, or for that matter who has more money than whom. I do no mind wearing a tuxedo when called for nor following the dress code, but it seems so many of the discussions here are regarding etiquite that I can not imagine anyone actually enjoying the trip.

Are these posts indicative of the normal paseengers on the Cunard vessels, and is being in "steerage" going to be looked down upon by the "Neuvo Riche"(sp?) in the "upper crust" catagories?

HELP

Good Morning, My wife and I went on a med cruise on Qm2 in June 2006. It was our first cruise. We thought the entire experience was great. We were in a B2 Hull Balcony. We shared a late seating table for eight in Brittannia. We had a good time in all the venues onboard. I had my jeans with me but I did not wear them till the flight home from London. I brought my Tux and my suit, my wife had a gown and some really smart outfits for the formal and informal nights.The hardest place to fit in was the dance floor in the Queens room, mostly because it is quite small(reputedly the largest at sea) and many of the passengers were very good dancers.

I would go again in a minute, the Library was great and the Commodore club is really a nice spot for a drink or just to sit and read or watch the ocean. We celebrated our 25th anniversary aboard, we never felt outclassed or out of place on this holiday. I do hope to return to the Qm2 for a transatlantic crossing someday.

Joel

Joel

After 48 cruises my wife and I have decided to try Cunard. We had tried to avoid this line due to the "class system" which still seems to exist to a degree on their vessels, but felt it would be fun. After reading many of the threads on here I wonder if we are doing the right thing. We are booked for a ten day Carribean on January 3rd from NY, and are (as I have seen on here) booked in "steerage class,: in an A2 cabin.

"Steerage" as used here is a joke thing not to be taken seriously. Some use it to wind up others.

After seeing long discussions talking about wearing jeans ("I would never even own a pair"), or which fork to use when I have to question how much fun thius trip wil be for us or my Mom who is also taking the trip as a single?

You will see passengers wearing jeans. Whether this would spoil your trip only you can answer. Could you give a link to the fork thread, I missed that one.

We have taken mainly Celebrity, Princess, and HAL trips, but have also sailed on Seadream, and Radisson. We never found nor saw anything like some of the discussions that go on here. I like to relax on a trip, and do not want to worry about who has the best jewelry, or who wore the same outfit twice, or for that matter who has more money than whom. I do no mind wearing a tuxedo when called for nor following the dress code, but it seems so many of the discussions here are regarding etiquite that I can not imagine anyone actually enjoying the trip.

If you go to the Celebrity and others boards you will find much the same of discussions, in many cases by the same posters as here. The voyage experience has no relation to the tone etc. on these boards.

Are these posts indicative of the normal paseengers on the Cunard vessels, and is being in "steerage" going to be looked down upon by the "Neuvo Riche"(sp?) in the "upper crust" catagories?

I have always sailed in "steerage" because this suits me, and wealth has little to do with the class chosen by most passengers. No one cares either way, and no no one will look down on you, though why would you care if they did?

HELP

David.

Hi RnD,

my wife and I returned from the QE2 Mediterranean Odyssey cruise on 24 Jul. This, for both of us, was our first cruise, and I set off on it with many of the worries that you have just expressed. In advance of the cruise I’d spent an enormous amount of time on the net reading reviews and the opinions of various people on this and other newsgroups, and I think that this helped to generate far more anxieties than it allayed. In the end, I found that the actual experience was very different from the impression I had gained from all the disparate sources that I had researched in advance. The cruise was, by a very substantial margin, the best holiday that either of us had ever experienced and, although we hadn’t cruised before, we have both travelled extensively over the years.

In particular, the other passengers were universally friendly, and I detected very little snobbery or any intrinsic class discrimination. Indeed there seemed to be less than you would normally find in British society in general - rather, there seemed to be a sense of group identity brought about by the shared experience of being on the cruise. People would talk to one another in the course of casual encounters, for example in the elevators, or on the tour buses etc, and you’ll have to believe me when I tell you that that is NOT something that you encounter often in the course of the daily grind in Britain.

The staff were universally helpful and polite and we are really looking forward to meeting some of them again on our next cruise. The food was superb and even the much discussed dress code was no where near as difficult to cope with as it had seemed before we left.

You need to take a lot of what is said in the threads on this board with a very large pinch of salt indeed. The British tend to have a very ironic sense of humour and it’s often very hard to pick up on the subtle nuances of what they are getting at - particularly when it’s committed to text rather than imparted in the course of conversation. As a first-time Cunard passenger, I found a huge amount of information on this group that was helpful to me pre-cruise, but I was also able, by virtue of being British myself, to filter out a lot that was simply "tongue in cheek". Leave the discussions about etiquette and the finer points of hand tying bow ties to those who enjoy that kind of thing, and simply go with the flow.

I’m convinced that you, your wife and your mother will all enjoy the cruise (which I assume is on the QM2). Feel free to contact me "off list" if you feel that you would like any more in-depth discussion about any of the points you’ve raised - my contact e-mail is in my profile.

Jimmy

You need to take a lot of what is said in the threads on this board with a very large pinch of salt indeed. The British tend to have a very ironic sense of humour and it’s often very hard to pick up on the subtle nuances of what they are getting at - particularly when it’s committed to text rather than imparted in the course of conversation.

Jimmy

Very wise words............

After 48 cruises my wife and I have decided to try Cunard. We had tried to avoid this line due to the "class system" which still seems to exist to a degree on their vessels, but felt it would be fun.

Why does Cunard US perpetuate the myth there is a class system? THERE IS NO CLASS SYSTEM ON ANY CUNARD SHIP! True the top 25% of passengers eat in a different restaurant but that is something that I'm told occurs on many other cruise lines.

If you look at both the US and UK brochures there is a big difference. In the US brochure they stress social class on every page yet in the UK brochure it isn't mentioned.

Don't worry about jeans, if you're "good enough" or that we tend to refer to the Britannia and Mauretania Restaurants as steerage - There is an awful lot of tongue in cheek humour on this board. If you enjoy good food and service, luxurious surroundings and an interesting itinerary then you've picked the right ship. If, on the other hand, you want to hang around the pool in a bathing suit all day, wandering in to the restaurant (without getting changed) for a bit of a snack when it suits you I think you're spending a lot of money for something you don't really want.

True the top 25% of passengers eat in a different restaurant

the top 25%....?

I think you mean the 25% of passengers who have paid most (I think its a bit less on both the QV and QM2) - I don't think by any reasonable definition one would describe them as 'top'! In what way - looks? fame? accomplishment? charm? humility? Spending money, yes....but thats about it!

Peter

Why does Cunard US perpetuate the myth there is a class system?

Because America (which, like virtually everywhere else) has a class system - but is in more or less complete denial about it - for example you won't find 'social class' in school history books after the revolution. So since they can't have a class system, they like to pretend that only the Brits do. The reason they wouldn't dare promote such a version in the UK is that they know we'd fall about laughing.....

Peter

Hi

My wife and I have just returned from our third tranatlantic having done our previous four on the QE2.

Everything about it was again wonderful. We had an A2 Stateroom on deck 11 and I can tell you that there is no class system whatsoever.

Enjoy your cruise and if you are on deck 11 and your steward is Romil, say hello to him from us.

Chris and Pam Blakemore:):)

I think that it may appear that some passengers are stuffy on these boards when in fact they are protective. Sometimes discussions can be taken a bit far ( and I mean no disrespect) with regard to dress and formality, service, and tradition, but it occures with the best of intentions. Cunard offers a form of values with regard to tradition that many of it's passengers hold very dear and become protective of when new cruisers or old question them. I feel this way myself, I enjoy the formality of the line etc. and in my view if some have problems with what is the basis of a line, why cruise that line? At any rate once onboard I have never seen anything but a group of passengers who are there to enjoy the ship and the others onboard. One does not need to be in designer gowns and wearing the new Verdura collection. Indeed even if one is not dressed for the evening (QM2 experience teal spandex with sneakers on a formal night in the chart room) I did not see any passenger or crew make a comment, shoot a look, or make them uncomfortable. Cunard ships are warm from my experiences filled with laughter and wonderful company, crew and passenger alike.

I think that it may appear that some passengers are stuffy on these boards when in fact they are protective. Sometimes discussions can be taken a bit far ( and I mean no disrespect) with regard to dress and formality, service, and tradition, but it occures with the best of intentions. Cunard offers a form of values with regard to tradition that many of it's passengers hold very dear and become protective of when new cruisers or old question them. I feel this way myself, I enjoy the formality of the line etc. and in my view if some have problems with what is the basis of a line, why cruise that line? At any rate once onboard I have never seen anything but a group of passengers who are there to enjoy the ship and the others onboard. One does not need to be in designer gowns and wearing the new Verdura collection. Indeed even if one is not dressed for the evening (QM2 experience teal spandex with sneakers on a formal night in the chart room) I did not see any passenger or crew make a comment, shoot a look, or make them uncomfortable. Cunard ships are warm from my experiences filled with laughter and wonderful company, crew and passenger alike.

Well said! Protective is the perfect word. I love the traditional style of Cunard, and with so many lines offering a very informal experience, I find Cunard is the line that suits my wishes best. I do NOT want Cunard to change its style to be just like so many other lines.

FORMAL DOES NOT EQUAL STUFFY.

As other posters have said, passengers on Cunard are very friendly and interesting people. It is far more common on QE2 than any other ship I've been on for people to greet and converse with other passengers, or join people at a table in the Lido. So what if I've never met you before or won't see you again? There's no harm in saying "Good morning." or "Do you mind if I join you?" or "Did you have a good day in port?" There's a sense of a shared experience on QE2 (I've only been on QM2, so can't comment as well on her). I credit the lack of balconies and the wonderful public spaces that bring people together to mingle--another part of traditional cruising.

I wonder if Cunard US stresses the class thing so that prospective passengers know that Cunard is not an infomal line.

You probably shouldn't have mentioned the spandex. I see a whole new thread emerging...

And to the original poster, who asked if people look down on those who travel 'steerage,' you may find that most of the posters who joke about 'steerage' are the ones who are traveling in those cabins, not those traveling in the most expensive 25% of cabins.

Kathy (who has had many QE2 voyages in 'steerage')

RnD.

You and your mum will be fine. As has been stated here, a lot of what is being said, is being said with the tongue firmly planted in cheek.

I have always travelled steerage on Cunard, and I have to admit, I do not know what the emigrants were complaining about. Rats? Never seen one, locked below decks? Just once because the Solent pilot did a handbrake turn around the Isle of Wight and activated the watertight doors. Oh, how we laughed......:D

Anyway, if you are going with the intention of having a good time, I can almost guarantee you that you will have one, if you are going with the intention of having a rotten time, you probably will.

Have fun!

James

RnD.

....... because the Solent pilot did a handbrake turn around the Isle of Wight and activated the watertight doors. Oh, how we laughed......:D

James,

that's brilliant!! Hope you don't mind if I plagiarise that one on my website sometime in the future.

Jimmy

PS: we didn't see any rats either. Just a few cheery emigrants dancing on the tables now and again.

On QM2, there is no class system. The people in some of the suites eat in different restaurants than the others. Interestingly, the captain and other senior officers do not eat in those restaurants but in the main restuarant. With the exception of one small bar, passengers who dine in the main restuarnat can use all of the public rooms and amenities as the people dining in the grills.

QE2 was built as a two class ship. However, over the years that has eroded away so that the only real difference is the restaurant assignments. In fact, some of the cabins that were originally first class cabins are now assigned to the Mauretania restaurant (the largest restaurant).

The Cunard ships are more formal than some of the other lines. In addition, they tend to be inclined toward culture and the intellectual as evidenced by the resident RADA troupe on QM2 and the authors, artists and other public figures that appear in their enrichment programs. To me, this evidences sophistication rather than stuffiness.

Why are people so hung up on the Cunard dining or "class system" anyway? I don't understand people's fear. What are they afraid of? Especially since they regularly fly on airlines divided into First, Business and Coach. What's the difference? Anyone have any insight on this?

When we fly coach, business, or First, there does not seem to be any snobbery associated with it. Unfortunetely here some of the posts would indicate those in the suites feel a sense of superiority to others.

On the other hand based on most of the posts I have been reading, it sounds like this will be a great trip. Though we often prefer the casual nature of many vessels we have taken, the more formal atmosphere could be a fun change.

We are looking forward to the trip, and as soon as Cunard figures out what the trip will cost, and what cabin we will really be in, I will feel great. (They double-booked a number of cabins including ours, and offered us a guarentee-to which we said no. Now they have agreed to an upgrade from the A3 to the A2, but the location was not what we wanted. At any rate they are working on the cost difference to move to a central deck 11 A1-It probably sounds more complicated than it is).

Thanks or the many mostly kind replies.

Why are people so hung up on the Cunard dining or "class system" anyway? I don't understand people's fear. What are they afraid of? Especially since they regularly fly on airlines divided into First, Business and Coach. What's the difference? Anyone have any insight on this?

I think that if you are content in your life you are not bothered by others opinions of you. It must be true though that many are anxious about the unfamiliar world aboard a ship that is so clearly superior to the others (except QE2) and how they would fit in to a snooty and class ridden environment that is the myth in their minds.

And of course they don't have to mix with the turn lefters on an aircraft as they do on the ship.

David.

I've seen much more stuffy threads on the Princess forum than here, including many a hostile discussion about jeans. I was a bit worried too at first, but now I see that much of the stuffy-sounding posts are tongue-in-cheek. I mean, how stuffy of a cruise line can it be with threads about cabin cavalcades and funnel runs? I think it may just be in part the British sense of humor, which can be tough for us Americans to recognize, especially when it's in writing, so you can't see the person's face or hear their tone of voice.

Our crossing on QM2 was the best vacation we have ever had. We were in an inside atrium cabin and it was spacious and comfortable. (We've only had balconies on our other cruises). Dining in the Britannia, Kings Court, Todd English and Golden Lion was excellent and service in every part of the ship friendly and efficient. My husband spent hours in the Commodore Club - day and night - and the library was wonderful (I sell rare books, so I speak from experience).

We never felt any snobbery or class system - in fact the shared experience of being on the ship for a crossing made everyone friendlier and bonded in a temporary little world. The only difference for suite passengers was the Grill restaurants and lounge. I'm sure dining and service there is wonderful but I didn't feel I was missing anything in my inside cabin.

There is a real difference in terms of entertainment and night-time formality, however. As many have mentioned, the entertainment tends more towards lectures (excellent), music, RADA workshops and presentations, dancing at night (Queens Room - lovely) and not pool games, "Quest" activites, etc. The gym is spacious but there is no rock-climbing walls and ice-skating rinks. Nothing wrong with those things - we have sailed on other lines and had a wonderful time - but didn't miss it at all on QM2. We have always adhered to attire requests on all our cruises (my son and daughter included) but only on QM2 did my husband wear a tux - and he loved it. I wore the same long black dress two nights with different wraps - and no one commented or noticed!

Fewer children on board - and the ones we saw tended to be very young (under 5) so they were rarely roaming the ship. We sailed in July too so school was definitely out of session. I have 2 teenagers and they are mature and well travelled but we don't plan on including them in our future Cunard plans.

It was definitely a different experience than our other cruises but it was not because of snobbery, nit-picking or class issues. We are returning to her next year and can't wait. Enjoy your crossing!

Archived