Is it really this stuffy

RnD

It's true ... all it takes is a good supply of Wheaties

I thought that was marmite on crumpets....or am I on the wrong thread?;)

Matthew...rowing has been cut back to 10.4 hours...we "S" passengers have unionized!!:eek:

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continues....

On a more serious note...to the OP...all I can say is try it you'll love it...truly! As you wander the ship there is no way you can guess who's in what cabin...nor does anyone care.

This forum seems to be the home of tongue firmly in cheek...many of us have posted together for a long time...we have refined tongue in cheek to an art form. Just ignore us when we "drift"...there's really a lot of valuable information here for someone new to either Cunard ship and we're always happy to help with the sensible answers...then we drift;)

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continues....

I haven't turned to page 2, yet, But I am going to go ahead and post now.

The answer to your questions is, in a word, NO!

There are people on this board who seem to have a grand time pretending to be something they are not....which is snobs. Some of them pretend, some of them try to see classier, some take it a little too far.

Here is the type of person you might find. Since you are from Pennsylvania, I will tell you that I am a parrothead. If you are not familiar with parrotheads, they are fans of Jimmy Buffett who have a propensity for showing p at concerts in coconut bras and grass skirts, or hawaiian shirts and cheeseburger hats. I met and officer of one of the parrothead clubs on my last Cunard cruise. Another Parrothead posted to this thread! (I'll let you guess which one that was- He'll be on my Oct 31 Caribbean.

Cunard seems to be trying to sell to a public they perceive as wanting a class distinction- Bot because there is one, but because they want people to pay for value above what it is! They are appealing to the Lexuas crowd, not the Rolls crowd. The Rolls crowd knows who they are and doesn't have to convince anybody. The Lexus (or Mercedes) crowd needs to convince others, so that THEY in turn can convince THEM that they are "all that"

Yes, I have run into a stuffy snob on board who turned their noses in the air and thought theirs did not stink. We still laugh at them 10 years later. We, and our other dinner companions simply rolled our eyes in the back of our heads and chocked it up to a couple of twits! They exist everywhere, On street corners, in corporate offices, in McDonalds and especially driving up the breakdown lane (of life) while others are stopped for the traffic ahead. People you might not like elsewhere, you will like on Cunard. they let their hair down and have a good time. You will find the entertainment to be a bit more sophisticated- More harp and classical, string quartets, but you will also hear jazz, pop, and more. Whoever said protective had it right. When NCL is going to anytime. any place, dressed in anything you want dining, Cunard is upholding the traditions of cruising that ALL lines (except Windjammer USED to have. Yep! No Hairy Chest contest. No Wet T-Shirt contest. But they do have Karaoke, and really different (all kinds)_) trivia!

I've done Carnival (once) RCCL (once) HAL (3 times) Premier (once) and Cunard (6 times) I'm not a traditional kind of girl. I like things girls don't usually like, and don't care for a lot of the things most girls like. I'm unusual. I don't want a sedate life. I travel, I fly an airplane (though not lately) I go to crzzZY Parrothead parties and get all dirty doing Christmas in April (Building together, I think it is now called) and Habitat for Humanity. I've been an auto mechanic. I've also modeled (a few times, when I was younger) I've worked as a scorer for Nascar (Daytona), been in Civil Air Patrol, but I love to dress up for formal nights. Do I sound stuffy and snooty? I hope not. I am also about the friendliest person you'll ever want to know. I have strong opinions, but I always like to gather more of them, and to learn about other cultures. You will just as well see me chatting with the room steward about where he is from and what his family is like, and sharing information about his country's political side (not to inflame, but to understand, and to hopefully, impart that I try to understand) I am liberal, but I have strong values of right and wrong. I've danced at a fiddle fest, made my own bread (before there were bread machines- never owned one) and eaten caviar and LOVE sushi. I guess what I am saying is that Cunard is full of all sorts of people. This board and some of the more outspoken people on it should not be indicative of the kind of attitudes you find on board. I'm sorry if I am a little loopy and going on right now. I am fostering (hand feeding) three kittens which were separated from their mother at birth pretty much. I'm allergic to cats. Oh, yes, and I've been known to trap ferals and get them fixed and release them, quarantined two last year when they might have been exposed to rabies (had to go through the rabies shots mysllf, as they shot a rabid raccoon that settled in on my deck just before Christmas- couldn't sail for six months. the other choice, was they would be killed. I couldn't let that happen.)

Well,

My computer is running out of ink <G> and I have to go feed another kitten and make homemade lasagna fro scratch for someone who helped me out at work at night with something I didn't know, but was an emergency. He wasn't getting paid to work, I was- So I have to thank him- BTW, I am a technician, but in a new position that I wasn't trained for . So I learn, but I also thanks those who help me! So lasagnas and kittens await!

Book it. You'll love it! I took that cruise last year and am doing the ten day Caribbean in October.

Karie,

typical and un typical of the average Cunard passenger. Which is to say we are all different!

Oh, and make sure you click on that link in Penny's SIG. (PATWELL, above my post) You will see why you should cruise on her.

good luck sorting out your cabin!

Karie,

who really is crazy.. in a nice sort of way

P.S. Should I bring my sequined thongs on the Caribbean? (I won't scare the OP with posts about braided armpit hair- We only braid it for formal nights, for wearing with a rhinestone studded formal denim gown.)

<teehee!>

They are appealing to the Lexuas crowd, not the Rolls crowd. The Rolls crowd knows who they are and doesn't have to convince anybody.

Karie,

Rolls?

I think you mean those who drive a Rolls Royce, or if you prefer, a Royce.

Calling them "Rolls" is the mark of a second hand car dealer.

Matthew

We haver decided to stay with the original upgrade offer-cabins 11149, and 11143. They are towards the back and my Mom is very concerned she wil get sea-sick up so high and back so far. My TA has assured us that on a vessel of this tonnage we should be fine.

Now that we have decided to go, based in part on many of the encouraging comments I have cancelled our HAL, and Celebrity trip. I love the idea of leaving from NY and not having to deal with the airlines, especially in winter.

Thanks for al the advice, comments (mostly not rude), and we look forward to perhaps seeing some of you onboard one day. We are on the January 3rd sailing.

Karie,

Rolls?

Matthew

Darling,

Having been on dates in a fully restored Silver Cloud, with the Great great nephew of (I think I got the relationship right- His Aunt's Aunt and Uncle) a survivor of the sinking of the Titanic (they were in First Class, needless to say- and He did not survive, though she did.) We never had any problem having Bruce's friend Steve (who lived in Manhattan, worked for Cushman Wakefield selling city blocks and such) bring Bruce's aunt's Rolls up from Princeton. Not sure about you. We do have something over here called the Royce report. Shame you've never been in a Rolls, they are Grand!

Karie,

who could care less what you Brits call them. You also make Austin Minis and Anglias, no?

P.C. Driven a racing Jag- fitted out to standards, welded seat, webbing in the window, etc. Learned how to tune the Twin SU carbs on my Triumph Spitfire by ear- taught by a factory mechanic who also maintained the twelve cylinder cars belonging to a friend.

Karie,

Rolls?

Matthew

But wasn't it on 12 February, 1906, when they were planning to launch their new company, that Henry Royce said: I built it, it is a "Royce". To which Charles Rolls, who had been selling them for some years, replied: Yes, but they call it a "Rolls". I may be mistaken. It was a long time ago and I was so busy that day.

Paul

cabins 11149, and 11143. They are towards the back and my Mom is very concerned she wil get sea-sick up so high and back so far. My TA has assured us that on a vessel of this tonnage we should be fine.

Your TA is right - the QM2 is very stable, and while being high up would effect you most if she rolled (side to side motion) (which she does not much as her stabilisers are very efficient), being towards the back will not have as great effect of pitching (moving up and down - which all ships do, if they are to move forward) - as being towards the front. And if the worst comes to the worst, they have a great shot which those who have taken it swear by.

Peter

You will have the wonderful time, every one is do friendly, all enjoying the ships and all there is to see and do on her.

Yes British have a great sense of humour:) :) :) different from american in so many ways, but get through that you will ok .

by the way we went steerage once and it was ok, and if you dont tell anyone, who would know.

just enjoy the ship

Darling,

Having been on dates in a fully restored Silver Cloud, with the Great great nephew of (I think I got the relationship right- His Aunt's Aunt and Uncle) a survivor of the sinking of the Titanic (they were in First Class, needless to say- and He did not survive, though she did.) We never had any problem having Bruce's friend Steve (who lived in Manhattan, worked for Cushman Wakefield selling city blocks and such) bring Bruce's aunt's Rolls up from Princeton. Not sure about you. We do have something over here called the Royce report. Shame you've never been in a Rolls, they are Grand!

Karie,

who could care less what you Brits call them. You also make Austin Minis and Anglias, no?

hi karie,

i have an original, unrestored 1957 silver cloud 1. it's done 80000 miles from new and used to belong to the lord mayor of london. call it a rolls, call it a royce, it makes no difference. the correct description is a 'rolls royce'.

glenn.

P.C. Driven a racing Jag- fitted out to standards, welded seat, webbing in the window, etc. Learned how to tune the Twin SU carbs on my Triumph Spitfire by ear- taught by a factory mechanic who also maintained the twelve cylinder cars belonging to a friend.

my e type has TRIPLE SUs:)

I do wish you had booked the 30th November cruise. We would have a lot in common.

Anyway...go and enjoy. I am sure you will meet lots of people who are looking for the same things in a cruise as you are.

This overlaps with lots of what people have already said, but go, you will have a great time.

In my experience, what distinguishes Cunard voyages from all other holidays is not stuffiness, but the universal pleasure of almost all passengers at being aboard, and the very high level of courtesy between passngers, from the oldest to the youngest.

my e type has TRIPLE SUs:)

Call me if you ever need a tune up and happen to be in Connecticut (US) at the time!

Karie,

all star mechaninc. I just have trouble finding the points on today's cars. Oh, yeah., and that pesky carburetor. Where did it go? <LOL>

My car is a Rolls Canardly....Rolls down the hill but can ardley get up!!

Kaz

I had a Spitfire like that once! Clutch gave out just as I was climbing a steep hill in Tennessee. Slowly backed it back down until it leaned against a telephone pole (No way the brake alone was going to hold it) I was on my way to work, where I worked as a pump-jock/mechanic. Called my boss to bring the tow truck to tow me to work. Son of a gun charged me for the tow!

At least I got to work on time!

Karie,

Another time for the tale of coming down a hill to a stop at a three way intersection and the brake line let loose!

I 15th the motion (Or is it up to 20 now?) for the "Just go you will love it we are not all snobs (except for Matthew)" statements. Most of us probably have rather surprising back grounds but all have the same appreciation and love for good service and well rounded people. I was given the label of being "The only farmer in *location* that wears stillettos" by my friends when I was a teen/young adult. I grew up on my family's hobby farm which was my dad's passion, my mother on the other hand was New York bred and made sure that her girls knew the difference between a muck boot and a Gucci heal. Soooo, I can hand milk a cow out in 9 min flat (Matthew, pick yourself up off the floor already) then clean up in the house, put on stillettos and run a business meeting. (OK so it has been a while since I have even seen a cow and would probably take me a lot longer now!) :D

I 15th the motion (Or is it up to 20 now?) for the "Just go you will love it we are not all snobs (except for Matthew)" statements. Most of us probably have rather surprising back grounds but all have the same appreciation and love for good service and well rounded people. I was given the label of being "The only farmer in *location* that wears stillettos" by my friends when I was a teen/young adult. I grew up on my family's hobby farm which was my dad's passion, my mother on the other hand was New York bred and made sure that her girls knew the difference between a muck boot and a Gucci heal. Soooo, I can hand milk a cow out in 9 min flat (Matthew, pick yourself up off the floor already) then clean up in the house, put on stillettos and run a business meeting. (OK so it has been a while since I have even seen a cow and would probably take me a lot longer now!) :D

I don't believe that Matthew is a snob; it's just that sometimes he over compensates for living in one of the most land-locked counties in England.

I've never had the pleasure of attending a business meeting run by a lady wearing stillettos; would be easier to stay awake if all the meeings were run by ladies so shod.

My wife, who used to ride the NYC subways often, has told me that stilletto heels were her best defence against groping.

I don't believe that Matthew is a snob; it's just that sometimes he over compensates for living in one of the most land-locked counties in England.

Did I mention I enjoy a dry sense of humor? I enjoy Matthew's posts very much because of his humor but find it irresitable to poke fun every now and then.

I've never had the pleasure of attending a business meeting run by a lady wearing stillettos; would be easier to stay awake if all the meeings were run by ladies so shod.

I found that out after my 2nd cruise party, many more of the husband's (70 & 80 y.o.) liked the idea of joining the group cruise once I switched from flats to heels and from slacks to skirts. (Wonder why:rolleyes: ) Not to mention I am rather short and wearing heels was more professional than standing on a chair to talk!

My wife, who used to ride the NYC subways often, has told me that stilletto heels were her best defence against groping.

They are great for that!

Archived