How do you really feel about formal nights?

MercedMike

How do you really feel about Formal Nights?  

610 members have voted

1. 1. How do you really feel about Formal Nights?

• Hate it and wish they'd do away with it.
    • Don't dress up and it makes me feel a little out of place.
    • Don't dress up, but it doesn't bother me.
    • Dress up because I'm supposed to, but would rather not.
    • Enjoy dressing for it and don't care what others do.
    • Love it and wish everyone would dress up, but don't let it bother me.
    • Wish they would enforce the formal dress code.

1. Why do people use different font in a message ....in this case it sounds sarcastic ?

My guess is that people online use different font, font style, quote marks, colour, etc. in places where they would emphasize a word/phrase if speaking out loud. With reference to that specific post, my impression was that revneal wanted to ensure you knew his apology was directed at you specifically, and not just the other readers in general.

I don't think revneal meant anything negative by it; plus, he did use the word "sorry" twice in his post.

But that's just my interpretation.

Typographer-geek alert: Technically, the word "you" wasn't in a different font, but rather was the same font expressed in a different font-weight.

There is a whole canon associated with online interaction, I'm sure, though most folks go by gut-feel. My understanding is that varying font-weight within a message is generally used to express intended tone and emphasis. I think your proposed interpretation is a very sound one, but I've found that it is often best to ask what the intended meaning of typographic features is, if there is any doubt in your mind. Unfortunately, there are limitations of this medium.

I don't understand what you are saying?

Tech, loved your posts. You made some excellent points.

I, too, am a very small woman in body type & finding formal clothes other than in the Junior Dept. has been nigh impossible since I passed from junior status many moons ago. It takes me forever to buy a simple pair of pants because very few small sizes are stocked in general wherever you go. So shopping for me is many all-day affairs in which I come home with nothing. It's exhausting as well as frustrating since I like pretty clothes. I also like to look good in my clothes, and be comfortable. I balk at buying that simple black skirt/pants with spangly top in which I look as you said - a kid dressed in my mom's clothes. I'll probably wear a skirt and top I've had for nearly 25 years because it fits the cruise description of "formal." Boring, boring, boring. Do I feel "dressed up in it?" No, just dowdy. Yes, I could buy something and have it tailored to fit me - but why? Just to please the cruising crowd? I don't need formal wear in my regular life.

But my husband and I believe in a loose interpretation of "following the rules" and we do dress up when called for.

I, too, am a very small woman in body type & finding formal clothes other than in the Junior Dept. has been nigh impossible since I passed from junior status many moons ago. It takes me forever to buy a simple pair of pants because very few small sizes are stocked in general wherever you go.

Sizes from 0 to 12:

http://www.cache.com/cache/control/category/~category_id=6005/~luxe=1

1. Why do people use different font in a message ....in this case it sounds sarcastic ?

"If I insulted you, I am very sorry."

Why change the font on the one word you ? In most cases this would seem to denote a different meaning....as in if I insulted you , instead of you insulted me ?

Very strange how fonts and sizes can change the meaning of a message.

I placed the word "you" into italics because I wanted to emphasize that my response to your post was not written the way it was with any intention of insulting, specifically, you. Doing this is a way of articulating, in written form, what my voice does when I speak and add a slight stress on a specific word.

Again, I am sorry if my intention was made unclear by use of the italics. I had not intended to be in any way sarcastic toward you by placing "you" in italics in my prior post. I was simply stressing "you" so as to be clear that I was meaning my apology to go to you.

My guess is that people online use different font, font style, quote marks, colour, etc. in places where they would emphasize a word/phrase if speaking out loud. With reference to that specific post, my impression was that revneal wanted to ensure you knew his apology was directed at you specifically, and not just the other readers in general.

I don't think revneal meant anything negative by it; plus, he did use the word "sorry" twice in his post.

But that's just my interpretation.

Precisely correct. Your interpretation is accurate with regard to my intention. Thank you.

Tech, I am very sympathetic to petite women's wardrobe problems, because I have the opposite body type.

Some years ago, when I got a custom tailored outfit, I found out my "half back" width (spine across) is exactly that - like a football half back! No extra poundage back then, just muscular from swimming. (Tho' that's changed ;))

I'm not formidably tall - only 5'8" (at age mumble-mumble, I've begun to shrink - used to be 5'9")

But, put me in a classic formal strapless dress, and those shoulders make me look like a guy in drag!

I probably should go the "Rosie" route and rent a tux....but I usually find something that (sorta) conceals the wide upper body.

I still love dressing up, tho' it doesn't bother me if others don't.

I was interested to see that - so far - Royal Caribbean poll results don't look that different from HAL.

RevNeal....I use a bold font rather than italics to stress a word. ;)

:D I've done that too. I tend to do that to indicate even more stress on a specific word or phrase than the italics, but less stress than the all caps of a SHOUT. :D

No offense, bicker, but many times after reading your replies, I feel as if I've just swallowed a hallucinogenic.
Try harder. :) Just kidding.

I feel very strongly that being misunderstood is worse than not being understood at all. Therefore, I typically word my messages very precisely. Sometimes guarding against misunderstanding makes a statement more difficult to understand, but given the alternative, I feel it is well worth it. As a matter of fact, I feel that a lot of folks post and read too casually, and that that leads to a lot of unnecessary conflict. However, I can make that decision only for myself.

I won't feel bad if a reader won't make the extra effort to understand what I've written, though. :) Nor will I take offense if someone asks for a clarification!

And, we all know how shouting will mean a major slap on the wrist! :D

Yep. It actually takes 3 words to a full phrase or sentence in all caps to constitute a full-fledges shout in "netiquette" terms.

And ... yes ... omg! :eek:

tyvm revneal and others (sorry I can't scroll back through 11 pages to get everyone's correct names who have helped me.)

I just returned from my cruise, and there was no problem for me on Formal Night. I was graciously accepted as is.

A little background: I was born without arms (thalidomide). This means that the best I can do re. clothing is loose slip-on shoes without socks, pants that some might call "jogging pants" but are nicer and dark blue (if you can see the waist, they are elastic) and a higher-end t-shirt which has no writing and is darkish grey with a pocket (essential for holding my room keycard!).

I require the looseness of the shoes and pants so I can use my feet. I can't tuck in a shirt, so my shirt hangs loose, but is a type that looks good.

My dining experiences were excellent. The waiter helped me cut anything too tough. Remind me to never order crab! I had no idea it would be in the shell... very inconvenient! I was also not charged extra for my diet colas once they realized that I wasn't drinking alcohol or tea/coffee. Very nice of them. The top waiter-person always dropped by and asked if I needed anything.

I can't wait to sail again!

Dear gbamber,

I just wanted to bring this back up from a few pages ago. I wanted to say how thrilled I am that you had a wonderful time aboard ship, and that you were very well received. I must say that I am not surprised, the HAL crew are wonderful people and always very helpful. I'm just thankful that it all went so well for you, and I pray that your future cruises will be a joy and delight.

Blessings on you and yours,

Greg

Well, I know this might come as a shock to you, Bicker, but I actually enjoy processing your posts from my eyes to my brain. I feel smarter every time I manage to translate your sentences into something I can comprehend:) . Keep on posting! I actually think you're a lot of fun, but then I've been married for twenty years to a computer programmer who is totally logical and reasonable. You try arguing with someone like that. Essentially, you can't.:eek:

As an intuitive, emotional woman, I find it very aggravating:D . (I love him anyway;))

Karin:)

Some would say that reading my messages is one of those things that holds off Alzheimer's disease... y'know how they say folks should do puzzles for that...

My wife is lucky -- she's actually more logical and reasonable than I am.

Some would say that reading my messages is one of those things that holds off Alzheimer's disease... y'know how they say folks should do puzzles for that...

Then I thank you for keeping me mentally agile. So, are you telling us that you (notice the bold emphasis;) ) are the irrational one in the family:D?

Karin:)

I never knew for sure if you were Mr or Mrs Bicker. And now I know.:)

Come on Bicker. You can't possibly expect me to read, and comprehend, all the words you carefully choose. I would consider 50% of the big words, and 75% of the little words, pretty good. Particularly on a weekday.

I think some pictures would be very helpful. It is obvious you communicate very precisely. I commend you. Just don't expect as much from me. I write more like a Rastafarian Banana Clown.rastanana.gif.1e3a4d96e1de279b28f955d686a01698.gif

OMG.....doubly:)......come on bicker....lighten up!!!!!

LOL...good to see you, Lynne. We were booking your cruise as you might recall. But then, grandbaby #5 was announced who will be born by C-Section on 11/13...so that shot that down!

Last year, 02.07.07, we were on the "same" cruise as bicker this year. Yes, I agree...bicker eeds to lighten up. This is a cruise...a vacation...not work! It's supposed to be fun fun fun...not taken so seriously!

We're still up in the air on which cruise to book this winter, BTW!

Archived