How do you really feel about formal nights?

MercedMike

How do you really feel about Formal Nights?  

610 members have voted

1. 1. How do you really feel about Formal Nights?

• Hate it and wish they'd do away with it.
    • Don't dress up and it makes me feel a little out of place.
    • Don't dress up, but it doesn't bother me.
    • Dress up because I'm supposed to, but would rather not.
    • Enjoy dressing for it and don't care what others do.
    • Love it and wish everyone would dress up, but don't let it bother me.
    • Wish they would enforce the formal dress code.

For me, formal nights are an important part of the tradition of cruising and should continue. In our increasingly informal society there are fewer and fewer opportunities to have a really elegant formal evening.

The cruise lines have provided well for those who do not wish to dress for dinner by serving an informal, but usually quite nice, dinner in the restaurant located on Lido deck.

I just don't understand what all the fuss is about. Seems to me everyone is being adequately served.

There is a similar poll on Cunard, restricted to wearing jeans. I thought that all CC polls were anonymous. I was not aware that the CC polling functionality could be adjusted to disclose who/how voted as it did in this thread, which was of course was eventually accompanied by some push-back.

What I think gets lost in this never ending debate is that formal night is an event not just a personal dress thing. Formal night is not just going to dinner, it includes usually a reception, maybe a visit to one of the lounges, the evening show; its a package, a complete formal evening event. Most people who argue against the code think it is purely a personal choice. However, if you are invited to a costume party you would come in costume. If you are invited to a beach party you would not come in a suit and so on. When you are invited to a formal night you come in formal wear such as suit or maybe a tux. Its a party with a theme and dress code. If you don't want to come to the costume or beach party you stay at home. So if you want to cruise and you don't want to come to a formal night then stay at home (cabin in this case) or go on a cruise that doesn't have a formal night.

I am glad the semi formal nights have been replaced by more casual nights and if they want to allow jeans I won't get too bent out of shape. But I still like the formal nights and think it should be enforced. To me its an integral part of cruising.

Great poll Mike. I was hoping someone would do this. I voted for the nearest to how I feel, because how I feel exactly isn't one of the options. I like dressing up, but not as often as it stands now, twice/week. I would prefer if it were once/week. So I voted that I dress up because I have to, which isn't exactly correct, but close. ;)

There is a similar poll on Cunard, restricted to wearing jeans. I thought that all CC polls were anonymous. I was not aware that the CC polling functionality could be adjusted to disclose who/how voted as it did in this thread, which was of course was eventually accompanied by some push-back.

A poll can be anonymous or it can be public. The creator of the poll can adjust the settings to one or the other when the poll is set up. If it is a public poll, there is a notice that the poll is public.

A poll can be anonymous or it can be public. The creator of the poll can adjust the settings to one or the other when the poll is set up. If it is a public poll, there is a notice that the poll is public.

Can the status of the poll -- anonymous or public -- be changed after the poll is set up?

Can the status of the poll -- anonymous or public -- be changed after the poll is set up?

As far as I know, it can't be changed. However, I've never tried to change it on any poll that I've created, so I don't really know. I'll try to find out.

I would prefer if it were once/week. So I voted that I dress up because I have to, which isn't exactly correct, but close. ;)
But if it were just once per week the number of people willing to pack dress clothes, for just 4 to 7 hours, would drop dramatically IMO.

But if it were just once per week the number of people willing to pack dress clothes, for just 4 to 7 hours, would drop dramatically IMO.

Uh, you're right :) I hadn't thought of that. I guess I was thinking about the 2-week+ cruises we prefer, where there would be 2 or more formal nights for the cruise. On a 7-day it wouldn't be good.

I learn something new every day. Thank You.

When I was working and had to do the dress - makeup thing every day, the last thing I wanted to do on vacation is dress up. Now that I'm retired I love having the opportunity to dreww up. Different strokes for the same folks.

I love seeing the ladies in gowns and guys in tuxs but it doesn't bother me if people choose not to go all out.

Carole

For me, formal night is an integral part of the cruise experience, and I love to dress up more formally than I ever would at home. I find it really fun shopping for a few nice dressy outfits (they don't have to be expensive) and I love to watch what other people are wearing on formal night. I just think that everyone looks so nice in their formal wear :)

Bonnie

I like formal night. but only once a cruise, its fun to dress up for the captain party and formal meal. More than once on a cruise I think its too much. I always skip the second or third formal night on a cruise

So if you want to cruise and you don't want to come to a formal night then stay at home (cabin in this case) or go on a cruise that doesn't have a formal night.

On HAL which does have formal nights one does not have to stay in their cabin if they do not wish to attend a formal dinner...Dinner is served in the Lido Restaurant...Perhaps some don't approve of this but that doesn't justify telling others to stay in their cabin.

In days gone by, polite society dressed for dinner every night whether they were cruising or not. In the early days of say ocean travel, those folks with the more posh cabins continued their land practices. I just love watching those old movies where folks were taking a world cruise and packed sets of steamer trunks. Now that is no longer practical of course, nor does it seem like it could have been carried off without personal attendants. And most of us don't dress for dinner at home every night either. Setting guidelines or rules or suggestions or whatever they are to have the passengers dress for dinner 2 nights out of the week doesn't seem at all unreasonable. I enjoy it and love to participate. Ok this is me, stepping off my soapbox :D .

I love formal evenings, I feel elegant when we dress up...my husband loves it just as much as I do. The last time we dressed formally was at a recent wedding, the rest of the time is just casual. It's a special time, why not make the most of it.

Lynne")

I can't believe that I'm getting back into this. A cruise is a "special time"???

Puh-lease-- a cruise is a vacation that most of us take 2, maybe 3, or even 4 or more times a year. And to the cruiser that said that formal clothes need not be expensive-- well that's pretty evident from watching the formal night parade. Just because some people go to Walmart and buy a long dress does not mean it's formal.

As for the days of old-- steamer trunks and all-- We cannot afford to have a cabin for the help anymore-- so therefore, my dresser etc cannot accompnay us on our cruises. Nice formal wear is wasted on the majority of the masses who have come lately to cruising. Just because one can rent a tux for the formal evening shouldn't mean that one can go back to polyester the next evening.

Cruises are now part of our lives-- and let's face it-- most people I know think that cruisers are amongst the lower classes-- after all-- a cheap vacation is a cheap vacation.

Don't get me wrong-- we enjoy cruising because it is very reasonably priced, you only unpack once, we don't have to fly and the people watching is priceless. We will continue to cruise and if we don't feel like wasting the needlepoint cumberbund on the masses, we shall happily have room service!

Debi......maybe you can take a lot of cruises per year, but we are lucky enough to be able to take one per year, so it is a very special time for us. Dear Debi, you don't have to spend a lot of money on formal clothing, there are ways to make yourself extremely acceptable. We dress up for ourselves, not the masses(as you put it).....why don't you lighten up a bit:) Hopefully, you will have room service throughout your cruises, so you wouldn't have to look at the dressed up masses.

Lynne:)

I can't believe that I'm getting back into this. A cruise is a "special time"???

Puh-lease-- a cruise is a vacation that most of us take 2, maybe 3, or even 4 or more times a year. And to the cruiser that said that formal clothes need not be expensive-- well that's pretty evident from watching the formal night parade. Just because some people go to Walmart and buy a long dress does not mean it's formal.

As for the days of old-- steamer trunks and all-- We cannot afford to have a cabin for the help anymore-- so therefore, my dresser etc cannot accompnay us on our cruises. Nice formal wear is wasted on the majority of the masses who have come lately to cruising. Just because one can rent a tux for the formal evening shouldn't mean that one can go back to polyester the next evening.

Cruises are now part of our lives-- and let's face it-- most people I know think that cruisers are amongst the lower classes-- after all-- a cheap vacation is a cheap vacation.

Don't get me wrong-- we enjoy cruising because it is very reasonably priced, you only unpack once, we don't have to fly and the people watching is priceless. We will continue to cruise and if we don't feel like wasting the needlepoint cumberbund on the masses, we shall happily have room service!

I think you're being a bit harsh - okay, more than a bit. While I am lucky enough to take vacations, cruises or other kinds, I know a lot of people who cannot take vacations at all or take them very, very rarely. Maybe some time volunteering with the poor would help you recognize your good fortune.

Maybe - Maybe Not...

On the two RSVP Charters I've enjoyed - both 7 day cruises had only one formal night, but 90% of the ship's compliment dressed for dinner - the vast majority in proper formalwear/Tuxedos with a few dark suits sprinkled in.

When I was working and had to do the dress - makeup thing every day, the last thing I wanted to do on vacation is dress up. Now that I'm retired I love having the opportunity to dreww up. Different strokes for the same folks.

I think you hit the nail on the head. It all depends on how your "normal" life is and how comfortable you are with dressing up on a ship. To me, personally, I would rather the formal dress code be an optional thing. Have a certain section of the dining room set aside for formal nights. How big that section will be is determined by how many people wish to dress up (perhaps you can be asked that question when you book ... do you plan to dress according to formal dress code on the appropriate nights?). Then, those who want to dress to the nines would sit in this special section of the dining room on those nights ... where the waiters too will be dressed ... and the elegance of the formal traditions will be maintained. The rest of the folks ... those who don't wish to don formal attire will sit in the other sections of the dining room where things will be a bit more casual.

I think a lot of the argument about formal attire comes from folks who think that if people don't want to dress up that means they want to dress like slobs. No, that is not what I am saying. Of course, there should be certain standards upheld ... a certain standard of "resort casual" in the dining room on all nights. I'm not saying people should come to dinner dressed in sloppy jeans, low riders, babydoll shirts that ride up almost to their breasts, and flip flops on their feet. No, that should never be the dress code for evening on a ship. That's fine only for day wear.

But, more than anything I believe one's vacation should be a matter of choice. If you don't want to dress to the nines on formal night, you shouldn't have to. You HAVE to dress according to standards at work in your everyday life. Vacations shouldn't be that way. But then those that do like the dress up thing ... because maybe they don't get much chance to do it at home ... should have the opportunity to indulge in their passion as well. I can't understand why we can't all meet somewhere in the middle ... why cruise lines can't have something for everybody ... and then we don't have to have threads like this and fight about such a dumb thing as dress codes any longer.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I think you make some good points here. In days of old, only the upper classes could afford to take a cruise. In real dollars, cruising was much more expensive then. Since only the relatively rich could afford to cruise back then, naturally the formal dress traditions found ready acceptance. Those folks routinely dressed up for various functions at home as well ... formal business dinners, special receptions for favorite charities, etc. They had those formal clothes in their wardrobe anyway. It was no trouble to just bring them along on a cruise. But today things are different. Cruising is a relatively cheap family vacation nowadays that just about everyone can afford. Just read the mail you get in your in-box from the various cruise lines ... read the mail you get dropped in your door slot almost daily. All kinds of great deals on all sorts of cruises ... kids sail free, 2 for 1 promotions, free airfare, etc. Cruising is no longer the province of the rich today. Just about anybody can afford to take a cruise ... even if that cruise is merely a cheapie off-peak season Caribbean jaunt, or a three-day getaway on a Carnival ship. These "average folk" don't have the kinds of clothes in their everyday wardrobe for "formal" dress. They don't wear that stuff at home because they don't go to the sorts of events that would generally require them to wear a tux or a gown (other than perhaps rented attire for a wedding they may be participating in). These folks know how to dress nice for those occasions where they have to, but they don't necessarily dress in what would be considered "formal" attire. Therefore, they certainly don't want to get into that on what is supposed to be a relaxed vacation experience. I don't blame them. And why too should they have to eat in the buffet or in their cabin just because they don't want to wear formal attire? They paid money to be on that ship, they would like to be able to eat in the dining room, where a waiter will bring their meal to them. They can eat in the room (i.e., at home) anytime. They can go to the Old Country Buffet at home too. They want something different when they are on vacation, and personally I think they are entitled to it.

So that's why I would have no problem with formal nights becoming an optional thing on cruise ships. Make the mandatory evening dining room dress code a resort casual one and then let those who want to do the formal thing have a venue in which to do that ... without the need to force everyone to do it. Now what's wrong with that?

Blue skies ...

--rita

Archived