How do you really feel about formal nights?

MercedMike

How do you really feel about Formal Nights?  

610 members have voted

1. 1. How do you really feel about Formal Nights?

• Hate it and wish they'd do away with it.
    • Don't dress up and it makes me feel a little out of place.
    • Don't dress up, but it doesn't bother me.
    • Dress up because I'm supposed to, but would rather not.
    • Enjoy dressing for it and don't care what others do.
    • Love it and wish everyone would dress up, but don't let it bother me.
    • Wish they would enforce the formal dress code.

We dress up on formal nights? Why? Because the cruise line we sail on, HAL, requests us to, simple as that. At work, I either wear a uniform or a suit/jacket and tie, depending on assignment (and not counting the narco days when I didn't look too cool at all and got kicked out of some restaurants;)). So...........dressing up on a cruise vacation ain't no biggie to us! (the wife is a city government employee also so she has a dress code to adhere to)

This dress code debate, topic, whatever you want to call it, will go on until the bovines come home, and then some. Trying to convince folks one way or the other to chance/adhere/don't adhere ain't gonna work here plus won't make one iota of difference, folks. People are gonna do what people are gonna do.

Sorry, long-winded once again!:o Oh ya, people not adhering to the suggested dress code, doesn't bother us. Happy cruising to y'all.

Thought this was a very interesting quote on this topic from a HAL captain:

"Tonight was informal, which, this being a ship with British tourists, meant at least jacket and tie. Most Gents wear a three piece suit, or blue blazer, with regimental badge and tie. I do love it, when everybody applies a bit of style to their daily life and somehow, with everybody being spruced up, it makes my pre dinner pint taste even better"

**Borrowed from Captain Albert Schoonderbeek's blog

Ah, yes, the debate about formal nights goes on and on.

BUT -- the fundamental question I posed is this:

Will the poll on the HAL board differ significantly from the RCI board?

Right now, the HAL poll is running about 71% positive on formal nights (last three responses.) And what do you think the RCI board has?

Answer ...

Right now, about 65%. Significant difference or not?

>:-)

The margin of error for such polls is astronomically high, not only because the sample is such a small percentage of the total population, but actually more critically because the sample isn't a normalize population within the total population. Polls that rely on self-sampling from a marginal sub-population to start with often have margins of error in the 50%-75% range. So even if the Royal Caribbean poll said 10%, it would not be statistically different from 71% here with Holland America.

The pros and cons of "Formal Nights" seem endless. Here are mine.

If there were no formal nights, my wife and I would not have to load up a garment bag as an extra piece of luggage. However, we get to feeling extra romantic on those nights. Almost like being in one of their commercials or brochures. A good word of caution: Women wearing high heels while at sea run an extra risk of a slip or fall and I feel sorry for them so keep it reasonable.

The "Shorts and Tee's" crowd seem to know to stay in the background on these nights but they are on vacation too. Opting out of meeting the Captain and having pix taken is no crime at all.

I usually don't even open threads about the dress code, but I saw this was a poll and took it, answering I wear it because I'm expected to. But, it is not because HAL expects me to, I do it for one person -- DW. She loves to dress up, and I love her, so I do it, even if I'd usually rather not, although I have worn formal clothes a lot and am comfortable in them. I don't care (and rarely even notice) if you are in a tux or not.

And, just a personal preference, we dress up on Captain's reception night, but don't actually go to the receptions anymore, as we started finding them crowded, predictable and boring, and we can have the bars/lounges pretty much to ourselves.

One point that may have been made in other threads that I didn't read -- you can dress up every night if you want. There won't be a fashion police enforcing smart casual, either. Want to wear the long dress or tux every night? Go for it!

Dave

What is the point of these formal verus non formal dress polls or boards? My father used to say, "A person convinced against his will is of the same opinion still."

No poll or anything said here is going to change how someone feels or how they dress.

What is the point of these formal verus non formal dress polls or boards? My father used to say, "A person convinced against his will is of the same opinion still."

No poll or anything said here is going to change how someone feels or how they dress.

I don't this poll or any other is trying to change anyone's mind. I find them interesting just to see how many people the way I do.

Yes, this subject is going on & on, but my point is, that the statement which Debi made is both snobby & harsh. I agree that those who do not want to get dressed up, shouldn't have to. I'm happy that the cruising industry, made it affordable for folks to cruise:) Like the Beetles sang......"Let it Be":)

Lynne:)

One point that may have been made in other threads that I didn't read -- you can dress up every night if you want. There won't be a fashion police enforcing smart casual, either. Want to wear the long dress or tux every night? Go for it!

Yes, Dave, you are correct ... one can dress up every night if one wants. However, if one does this such a one makes themselves conspicuous in so-doing. They "stand out" when they do so, occasioning other people wondering "why" such a one is doing so and, given our current cultural environment, producing such judgments as: "he must be a stuffed-shirt" and "what a snob he must be, to dress like that!" and: "who does he think he is?"

Some people don't like to be singled out ... they prefer to "fit in." I used to be one of those who cared about such things, and didn't enjoy being identified as a "stuffed shirt" by the casual crowd. Given how often that kind of epithet has been used of me, and others like me, on this board, I guess I've grown accustomed to it; such doesn't matter to me any more. I'm going to dress up, and if someone doesn't like it or judges me in response ... well, that's just too bad.

Everyone has a right to their own opinion...as you can see from these boards.....We are all human beings, putting someone down, makes the person who is putting them down...of bad character. You can express how you feel, without judging others.

Lynne:)

The margin of error for such polls is astronomically high, not only because the sample is such a small percentage of the total population, but actually more critically because the sample isn't a normalize population within the total population. Polls that rely on self-sampling from a marginal sub-population to start with often have margins of error in the 50%-75% range. So even if the Royal Caribbean poll said 10%, it would not be statistically different from 71% here with Holland America.

Aw, Bicker, you don't want to go quoting math at us and spoil the fun, do you?

I learned those old two tailed p tests as well as any statistician ever did ... but that doesn't mean I have to let it interfere with my enjoyment of the great American sport of polling.

Anyone so foolish as to believe a poll on Cruise Critic really proves anything will ignore what it proves if they disagree anyhow ...

Mike, (Bachelor of Science with honors in Math, Stanford University, 19X7, Secondary teaching credential in Math, Cal Berkeley 19X8)

those that are members or post on CC make up less than 2% of the poeple that takes cruises each year....

I dont think Mike was trying to do anythign here other than have some fun with a poll about a hot topic lately..

I'm not surprised that bicker felt it incumbent upon him to lecture on the science of polling. Don't worry, Mike ... I found your poll to be "fun," too, and didn't in the least-bit think it was somehow intended to be "scientific."

Though admittedly not "scientific," the results of this poll have nevertheless been interesting. They are not in the least bit surprising ... particularly so given the nature of the pool of voters on this board:

Hate it and wish they'd do away with it. ---13--- 5.18%

Don't dress up and it makes me feel a little out of place. ---2--- 0.80%

Don't dress up, but it doesn't bother me. ---4--- 1.59%

Dress up because I'm supposed to, but would rather not. ---58--- 23.11%

Enjoy dressing for it and don't care what others do. ---35--- 13.94%

Love it and wish everyone would dress up, but don't let it bother me. ---83--- 33.07%

Wish they would enforce the formal dress code. ---56--- 22.31%

Voters: 251.

So ... of those on this board who have voted, a whopping 2.39% admit that they don't dress up at all and either don't care or feel a little bit out of place because of it. 5.18% are ambiguous about wether or not they actually do dress up -- they state they hate dressing up and wish it were done away with, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they don't dress up anyway; however, if we just assume that they all follow their attitudes and don't dress up, then that means that just 7.57% of those who voted on this poll don't abide by the formal night dress code.

By a similar act of addition (making similar assumptions about what people do based upon what they say they like), it would appear that 92.43% of those who voted on this poll DO dress up. Some don't like it but do it anyway (for various reasons), while the rest do like it.

While skewed a bit, these figures actually do reflect pretty much what one sees on the average HAL cruise. Milage will always vary, of course, but MOST people -- often 90% or better -- will at least make an attempt to abide by the code.

Here's what I like to see in the dining room - people enjoying themselves and having a good time sharing their experiences. So smiles are what I really like to see passengers wear. :):):) Without them the clothes, formal or not, don't look nearly as good and the evening isn't as much fun.

Trish

I personally enjoy getting dressed formally for dinner, once on a 7 day, and twice on a two week cruise. However, my partner never did like it, and so for the last three cruises we took only sport coats and slacks, nice dress shirts but no ties. I would be happy if they made it a definate rule (Same as NO flip-flops, shorts and tee shirts) that dress codes are followed. My partner would be miffed just a tad, but would either (probably) conform, or we could always eat in the room, or buffett that evening. I really do believe though, that people are dressing-down way too much these days on cruises...I would hate to see the ship full of 'Clampetts'.:cool:

So here are the latest comparisons:

On the HAL board, there are 68.83% "positive" responses.

(Yes, those two decimal places are just for you, Bicker;))

On the RCI board there are 65.44% "positive" to formal nights.

CLEARLY this proves that by an overwhelming margin of 3.39%, HAL cruisers are much stuffier and more formal than RCI cruisers!:D

Ain't polling fun???

Yes, Dave, you are correct ... one can dress up every night if one wants... I guess I've grown accustomed to it; such doesn't matter to me any more. I'm going to dress up, and if someone doesn't like it or judges me in response ... well, that's just too bad.

Greg,

I shortened your post, but that in essence is what I meant. If you want to dress up, do so! If you don't, don't. Do what you want! I believe that life is too short to let somebody else's ideas dictate what you do. But, I have to admit that while I've never much cared what others may think, DW does, so I've learned to curb my natural "%@ 'em" attitude -- well, at least a bit.

I think I would really like to go on cruise with you, Merced Mike, Rita, Lisa, Karin and others and put on the glad rags (but not Copper 10-8's orange tux he posted on some earlier thread -- John, it was almost neon!) But, I get the point of those who don't want to, also.

Bottom line -- formal nights are part of what I enjoy on cruises, but I won't stop cruising if the cruise lines stop with scheduled formal nights. Maybe I'll just wear a tux to the Lido deck barbeque one night just to $^ off the casual-only-all-the-time crowd!

Dave

(did I mention I have Irish heritage?)

Greg,

I shortened your post, but that in essence is what I meant. If you want to dress up, do so! If you don't, don't. Do what you want! I believe that life is too short to let somebody else's ideas dictate what you do. But, I have to admit that while I've never much cared what others may think, DW does, so I've learned to curb my natural "%@ 'em" attitude -- well, at least a bit.

I think I would really like to go on cruise with you, Merced Mike, Rita, Lisa, Karin and others and put on the glad rags (but not Copper 10-8's orange tux he posted on some earlier thread -- John, it was almost neon!) But, I get the point of those who don't want to, also.

Bottom line -- formal nights are part of what I enjoy on cruises, but I won't stop cruising if the cruise lines stop with scheduled formal nights. Maybe I'll just wear a tux to the Lido deck barbeque one night just to $^ off the casual-only-all-the-time crowd! (did I mention I have Irish heritage?)

Thanks, Dave. I would LOVE a cruise with you and so many others on this board. I have always discovered that we have a BLAST aboard ship, regardless of whatever is said here or whatever we like or dislike.

Irish, eh? Well, I'm Scottish. :D In fact, I'm part German, part Scotch, and part soda.

Archived