How do you really feel about formal nights?

MercedMike

How do you really feel about Formal Nights?  

610 members have voted

1. 1. How do you really feel about Formal Nights?

• Hate it and wish they'd do away with it.
    • Don't dress up and it makes me feel a little out of place.
    • Don't dress up, but it doesn't bother me.
    • Dress up because I'm supposed to, but would rather not.
    • Enjoy dressing for it and don't care what others do.
    • Love it and wish everyone would dress up, but don't let it bother me.
    • Wish they would enforce the formal dress code.

Dave,

I notice that several people have already offered a few luggage suggestions. I have a set of TravelPro Crew 5 bags (1 26-inch upright, a 22-inch upright, a 19-inch Rollaboard upright, the large rolling garment bag, and the Deluxe Rolling Tote bag). While the Crew5 series is no longer available, the Crew 6 series IS ... and it sees to be superior to the Crew 5 set. You might want to look into this series.

Here's a good research source: http://www.luggageonline.com/

Thanks, Rev.

Im looking at the Crew 6 series right now. Looks nice, and price seems reasonable. I may find a place that has it locally and see if its looks and feels any good in person.

Mitch wants to look at the Tumi.

Dunno where that came from, but when in Rome......

You got it, Sweet-Cheeks! :rolleyes:

You called me honey, so I called you cheezy-poofs. I thought you were being fun, so I was having fun too.

And I DO have sweet-cheeks. On both ends of me. :D ;)

Just your A-typical HAL dress code thread! Pull up a chair and comfy pillow> Better than watching the #$@^ Ducks win the Stanley Cup!

Hey, handsome...:) (Sorry to pull up your post, but nevermind....);)

I have to guess that the prior "condescending" statement was directed at me.

Just to clear something up.... My father was a stroke-victim. Maw died in her mid-eighties from acute leukemia.

It is with great fondness that I refer to folks as "honey, dear, baby". And when a poster proclaims that he/she is "disabled", it hits home to me. (This is amplified when I think that I might be dealing with the elderly....my folks were in their 40's when they gave birth to me)

At that point, this ceased to be a "typical HAL dresscode thread". I would rather not have had to "come to the defense" of a Cruise Critic member who was uncertain about whether he will be "imposing" if he doesn't dress according to the "standards" :rolleyes: that some posters expect.

I think that some of you folks don't realize just how personal some of these threads can get.

Remember my "surfer formals" we talked about?

Wait til we get to Mexico ..... :D

Your flip-flops?

:)

If Jim can wear Peppy LePu Slippers (and he can and does), you can wear flip-flops. Get black ones so they match your Tux. :D

We are concerned. DW is putting her foot down and it seems that we may take (and wear) the appropriate togs after all. There was some mention of a previous incident that encouraged me not to rebut her suggestion. However, we were on a much less prestiguous cruise line in Dec (a mainline cruise-Princess) and were somewhat disappointed when we realized that many people were sporting formal wear that, quite frankly, was 'out of vogue'. I personally saw many tuxes and dinner jackets with collar, vent, cuff, and front button styles that were so well past their best before dates that they may be coming back into vogue next season. Ditto for the shirt collars, cumberbunds, and trousers. DW noticed the same in ladies fashion-much to her disappointment Are there perhaps any clothing and etiquette directors -at -large on HAL that could draw a line in the sand and establish a three year fashion window (four for the mid west) and enforce same? This 'out of fashion 'dressing on formal evenings will ruin the entire formal night atmosphere for us.

We are concerned. DW is putting her foot down and it seems that we may take (and wear) the appropriate togs after all. There was some mention of a previous incident that encouraged me not to rebut her suggestion. However, we were on a much less prestiguous cruise line in Dec (a mainline cruise-Princess) and were somewhat disappointed when we realized that many people were sporting formal wear that, quite frankly, was 'out of vogue'. I personally saw many tuxes and dinner jackets with collar, vent, cuff, and front button styles that were so well past their best before dates that they may be coming back into vogue next season. Ditto for the shirt collars, cumberbunds, and trousers. DW noticed the same in ladies fashion-much to her disappointment Are there perhaps any clothing and etiquette directors -at -large on HAL that could draw a line in the sand and establish a three year fashion window (four for the mid west) and enforce same? This 'out of fashion 'dressing on formal evenings will ruin the entire formal night atmosphere for us.

As you can see from my portrait above, my attire is almost four centuries out of vogue. But frankly, my dear, I don't give a dam about any fashion window, these are my best sea-going sailor's slops. I will wear them and devil take your opinion, or anyone else's, sirrah.........;) :D

Piet

Piet Hein, an original Dutch sea hero who brought the Spanish "silver fleet" (zilver vloot) in. They still sing about him at Dutch National soccer team matches (when the Dutchies are winning, that is);) .

Piet Hein!, Piet Hein!, Piet Hein, zijn naam is klein, Zijn daden bennen groot, Zijn daden bennen groot: Hij heeft gewonnen de Zilveren Vloot, die heeft gewonnen, gewonnen de Zilveren Vloot. die heeft gewonnen de Zilvervloot. Piet Hein, Piet HeinPiet Hein, his name is smallHis deeds are bigHis deeds are bigHe won the silver fleetHe won the silver fleetHe won the silver fleet

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piet_Hein_(Netherlands)

I understand. Though, to distribute the weight more evenly you might consider cross-packing between your husband, yourself, and your mother.
Cross-packing is an essential tactic, especially if you're flying to the port. It is one thing to be the couple dressed a more or less formally than everyone else, because that's what you were wearing to travel -- it is another thing to be one half of a couple, dressed a more or less formally than your partner, because it just happened to be "your" luggage that got lost.

If one is not interested in dressing for dinner then one should be quite happy on one of the lines favoured by the younger, and perhaps more casual, crowd.
I find that mindset to be a rather presumptuous. Perhaps you should be quite happy on one of the lines favored by an older, and perhaps dressier crowd. :)
I was thinking the same thing. This "issue" is raised because the general order of attire on-board is changing, not because it is staying the same.

And WHO is advocating wearing "jeans on formal night??" :confused:
Indeed. It seems to me that that has nothing to do with anyone's actual perspective in this -- so raising that as an issue it is just a diversionary tactic AFAIC.

Hi David-

Have a nice weekend, honey. :)

Thank you Ma'am, I hope it will be a nice weekend, as my son is getting married today.

I am so sorry if I have given you any personal offense as I was just trying to express my opinion on the subject. I am sure if you ask fifty different people you would get fifty different answers. That is what makes the world so interesting. If everyone were of the same mind it would be a very boring world indeed. What makes for lively discussion is for everyone to join in without letting the issue deteriorate into personal attacks. Perhaps we will meet someday on a cruise and I can buy you a drink to underscore my apology. I am sure you are a very nice lady and we could find a safer subject to discuss.

Very nice, Brian. Very expensive, too.

Ill have to look them over first before I shovel over that kind of money for a bag.

I agree. I used to travel professionally (200+ days a year on the road) and had the best luggage, including Tumi. Unless you can carry it on every time, it isn't worth the money, because baggage handling will destroy it no matter how well it is built. After the third set of expensive luggage was destroyed, I started buying "disposable" luggage. It remains usable for a remarkably long time, though damage is more obvious from the start. And when the damage gets too much to bear, we buy new.

I dont understand. If someone describes their likes and dislikes, and those likes and dislikes dont match with the product theyre looking at buying, I think it kind to suggest that they might want to think about buying a different product.
I think what she is labeling presumptuous is the part where "you" make the decision that "her" likes and dislikes don't match with the product. After all, the fact is that people, such as NNN, enjoy wearing more casual clothing, yet still have a great time cruising on Holland America. That's really a critical point: When you feel you're giving someone "helpful" advice, you have to consider who you're helping! Unless you're really putting that person's perspectives over your own, then it isn't help, it is advocacy, and by all rights it should be presented as, "I would prefer it if you didn't cruise my favored cruise line" instead of, "You would prefer it if you didn't cruise my favored cruise line."

We have a similar discussion on the Disney theme parks boards, regarding how to read (and give) advice about where to dine. My advice is always the same: Reader and reviewer need to match up, almost like establishing an impromptu face-to-face friendship. People who hate adventurous eating need to be the ones giving advice to people who hate adventurous eating. People who enjoy raw fish need to be the ones giving advice to people who enjoy raw fish. There is no constructive purpose to the burger connoisseur giving advice to a vegetarian.

Does he use a packing list to help in selection of clothing for a cruise? I have often discovered that when I try to pack without a list I end up packing way too much, some of which I don't wear (not even once). When I use a list, I coordinate my clothing with the number of days/nights, etc., I find that I end up packing fewer pair of slacks, fewer shirts, etc. I also pack the heavy/harder to pack things FIRST. I put the suit, in a dry-cleaner bag, at the very base of the garment bag. I hang the dress shirt(s) right next to it, and a couple pair of slacks along with them. I don't hang many other things in a large rolling garment bag, however, because the wire hangers end up taking up unneeded weight and space. Rather, I lay the bag flat and fold clothing and start arranging them around the ends of the bag, spreading toward the middle. Yes, sometimes I get the bag too filled and I have to cutting items or spreading them to another bag. But, generally, it works.

As for wearing clothing twice ... I always do. Sometimes, on long cruises, I wear outfits more than twice (with laundry/dry cleaning, of course). With regard to formal clothing, one will wear a tux or a suit more than once on nearly any HAL cruise. I usually take 2 suits (a tux and a business suit) for a cruise of 14+ days, but I could easily get by with just a tux or just a suit. The extra suit is a luxury I don't need, and can do without, on any cruise of less-than 20 days length.

I understand. Though, to distribute the weight more evenly you might consider cross-packing between your husband, yourself, and your mother. When I've traveled with just my mother I often discover that her bags are quite a bit under the weight limit ... so, we cross pack some of my stuff into her bags and some of her stuff into my bags. This makes her rolling bag heavier (but, big deal ... it's rolling and I lift it for her when it needs lifting), and it makes my rolling bags lighter.

Have you given thought to rolling luggage? Have you given thought to luggage that can be attached to other luggage? That's what I do. I have a large up-right that has wheels. To it I can hang/attach up to three bag (stacked) and then just roll the stack of bags behind me. I don't CARRY them, that's for sure. My mother uses a medium-sized rolling upright and a smaller rolling upright for cosmetics and such. She hangs one from the other and rolls them (usually) ahead of her.

Oh, I do believe you. No question there. One doesn't go to the trouble that we go to with packing and carrying such finery if we don't truly love the occasions and want to dress for them. All I am suggesting is a bit of creativity in packing and cross packing.

I once got a black suit to a cruise by WEARING IT in transit to the ship. I was serving as chaplain aboard for that cruise, and therefore it made sense to come dressed that way, but it cut down on the weight of my bags by wearing my black suit rather than packing it. I've been giving thought to doing that for my next chaplain-service cruise, but that will be quite a long-range flight and I don't think I want to be dressed up for an 18 hour transit. :)

Wow, I guess I should choose my words more carefully! Of course we don't CARRY all our luggage, our suitcases all have wheels. I have a set of attachable luggage, but I don't like to use it because I prefer a duffel bag or knapsack to use as a carry-on. So does my husband, so does my mother. As for cross-packing, we agreed a long time ago (or I guess I should say that I set the rule!) that I don't want to cross-pack. And there's no way my mother would either. I've learned over the years not to argue with your mother. Even when you're right, you're wrong!

I think all of us end up packing way more than we need. We always make a list, but circumstances such as weather, availability of the laundry room, can change all that.

Getting back to the original purpose of my post, all I was trying to say was that taking formal clothes does involve extra effort that can be seen as an inconvenience, but for me it is worth it.

Wow, I guess I should choose my words more carefully! Of course we don't CARRY all our luggage, our suitcases all have wheels. I have a set of attachable luggage, but I don't like to use it because I prefer a duffel bag or knapsack to use as a carry-on. So does my husband, so does my mother. As for cross-packing, we agreed a long time ago (or I guess I should say that I set the rule!) that I don't want to cross-pack. And there's no way my mother would either. I've learned over the years not to argue with your mother. Even when you're right, you're wrong!

I think all of us end up packing way more than we need. We always make a list, but circumstances such as weather, availability of the laundry room, can change all that.

Getting back to the original purpose of my post, all I was trying to say was that taking formal clothes does involve extra effort that can be seen as an inconvenience, but for me it is worth it.

I understand and agree and apologize for any offense I gave in offering some packing and luggage suggestions. One never knows when something one might suggest will come in handy, however, so I plead "helpfulness."

While I might not classify packing formal clothing an inconvenience, it does require extra effort and careful attention to detail that often isn't there when I'm not packing formal clothing. Since, like you, I consider it "worth it," I do it with joy and expectation.

Others may have said this- we like dressing up, but always bring comfortable dress clothes and shoes.

The secret to enjoying formal night is comfort. For instance, some women can wear high heels comfortably, others teeter and look like they might tip over! An elegantly dressed person looks comfortable.

Archived