Mediterranean Cruise: Will I be exhausted?

I had decided to go on a Mediterranean group cruise June 2008 which included the airfare and transfers (it’s a packaged deal). I know a number of people going and think it will be fun but I’ve since learned the plane arrives the same day as the ship departs. We’re flying from the east coast to Barcelona which I understand is approximately 11 hours with 2 transfers. Except for the last day, we are in a new port each day, and I’m concerned I will be too exhausted to enjoy them. We get in at 10am, board at 3pm, and depart at 7pm. Has anyone flown this long and departed the same day, how did your body hold up (I’m a young 50 something) it’s a lot of money to only sleep even if it is on deck?

First of all June in Europe is like June in NYC....can certainly be hot and humid in many countries.....and certainly more crowded than less peak times such as May or October. A med cruise which is very port intensive is fantastic but yes exhausting. Really depends on your itinerary......ports like Mykonos, Santorini, Dubrovnik and even Venice can be visited on a very leisurely basis. Others like Rome, Florence and Naples are FULL days and require some sort of ship's excursion or better yet private tours. Really depends on what you want to see and do on your trip and wether you have been to the "major sights' before. It would be a shame to get to Florence and not see David or the Duomo....or Naples and not get to tour the Amalfi Coast or visit Pompeii.....LOTS of choices to make!

Also why not do your own flight to Barcelona.....plenty of choices from the east coast. Fly a day early....hotels are plentiful....Barcelona is walkable and transfers are easy by metered taxi.....might be more relaxing and even save you some $$$$. Very few direct flights....most fly into Madrid first.

Another consideration is a Transatlantic cruise.....you get the best of both worlds for less $$$$. We have one booked from Rome to Fort Lauderdale with ports in Malaga, Barcelona, Madeira, Mallorca and St. Martaan.

Marty

First of all June in Europe is like June in NYC....can certainly be hot and humid in many countries.....and certainly more crowded than less peak times such as May or October. A med cruise which is very port intensive is fantastic but yes exhausting. Really depends on your itinerary......ports like Mykonos, Santorini, Dubrovnik and even Venice can be visited on a very leisurely basis. Others like Rome, Florence and Naples are FULL days and require some sort of ship's excursion or better yet private tours. Really depends on what you want to see and do on your trip and wether you have been to the "major sights' before. It would be a shame to get to Florence and not see David or the Duomo....or Naples and not get to tour the Amalfi Coast or visit Pompeii.....LOTS of choices to make!

Also why not do your own flight to Barcelona.....plenty of choices from the east coast. Fly a day early....hotels are plentiful....Barcelona is walkable and transfers are easy by metered taxi.....might be more relaxing and even save you some $$$$. Very few direct flights....most fly into Madrid first.

Another consideration is a Transatlantic cruise.....you get the best of both worlds for less $$$$. We have one booked from Rome to Fort Lauderdale with ports in Malaga, Barcelona, Madeira, Mallorca and St. Martaan.

Marty

I've never been to Europe, this is my itenery:

Nice (Villefranche), France

Florence/Pisa (Livorno), Italy

Rome, (Civitavecchia) Italy

Naples/Capri, Italy

Sicily (Palermo), Italy

Because it is a group, I didn't think I could change or eliminate the flight .

Go! You will have a great time and you'll be too excited to worry about sleep. My sister and I did basically the same thing and we did not feel sleep deprived, rather we were energized by all the wonderful people and sights. I would never pass up an opportunity to travel for loss of a few hours of sleep. I'd rather be sleep deprived than travel deprived.

You will be exhausted, its a shame you can't fly in early to adjust to the time difference, get to know wonderful Barcelona and enjoy the fact that you are in Europe.

Fortunately your first stop can be relaxing. YOU DO NOT NEED TO SEE EVERYTHING!!! My advice would be to really research your ports and for Villefranche decide if you want to see Eze OR Monoco OR Nice (you get the idea) and take the train and just enjoy alittle sightseeing then go back and enjoy Villefranche, which is beautiful. We even went to the beach there.

Your next two stops are very full days, so reasearch Naples and decide what you really must do, don't just feel that here you must sign up for another all-day tour.When I posted the what would you do different question--most people said they would have left more time to just savor the ports instead of running around to check off every site.

Certainly do go. It would be preferable to go at least 1 day ahead. Try to get as much sleep on the plane since it is a red eye. You might try a sleeping aid if you have a problem sleeping on planes. Once you land force yourself on local time and don't let your body convince you otherwise. Some people will start to ween themselves onto Europe time 1 hour a day starting a week ahead. Athletes do this going to international competitions but usually over longer periods. Looks like a nice itinerary albeit active. Personally the more ports the better IMO. Rome and Florence will be particularly long days due to the distances involved but given this is your first trip to Europe GO. You might take it a bit easier in Palermo if you feel the need. You can rest when you get home. See the sights in person not on a travelogue.

We did a 12 day Mediterranean itinerary last May. we flew in a day before and were still completely exhausted the whole cruise.

The jet lag really hit us on the way over. In 12 days we only had 3 sea days. We were so tried from touring that almost every afternoon we fell asleep for 4 hours.

We missed the Captain's cocktail party, almost missed dinner 3 nights and fell asleep on the ferry we took back from the island of Ichia back to Naples.

A Europe cruise is very busy and tiring but you can be as busy or not busy as you want.

One particular couple at our dinner table chose to do 4 hour tours in some ports, tour some ports on their own and others did full day tours. I think that might be one way to do it so you have some down time rather than going on 10 hour tours at every port.

We were basically out all day at every port.

Please don't go with the attitude you're going to be sleep deprived. I am 66 years old. My grand niece (21) and I did the 16 day Princess cruisetour this past June. We flew from Phila. to Milan, spent 2 nights in Milan; 2 nights in Florence then boarded the ship in Venice for the 12 day cruise. I wore a pedometer during one of the days we spent in Florence pre-cruise and learned we had walked 7 miles that day. It was also one of the best days of the entire trip. In fact, her sister and I are doing the exact same cruisetour next May and, by that time, I will be 67. I figure what doesn't kill you makes you stronger :) I will admit, by the end of the cruise, we were both tired, but a good tired when we considered all that we had done and seen.

I'm doing this same cruise the end of Sept...and I am just a little younger than you (I'm 48--dh is 55).

Just think of how many people have done the same port intensive cruise--and were fine.

You just have to know when to rest--and know that you can't see everything in at the visiting on one day.

Plan. Plan. Plan. That way, you'll see what you want to really see...and won't be disappointed. But, make sure to leave some wiggle room. If you can't make it to one big attraction--go with the flow and remember that you are in an amazing place.

Do I plan on being exhausted each day? Yep. Will it be worth it to see these wonderful places? Yep.

I can't wait. :D

(PS--our journey over to Spain is longer than yours as we are leaving from the West Coast-California).

I had decided to go on a Mediterranean group cruise June 2008 which included the airfare and transfers (it’s a packaged deal). I know a number of people going and think it will be fun but I’ve since learned the plane arrives the same day as the ship departs. We’re flying from the east coast to Barcelona which I understand is approximately 11 hours with 2 transfers. Except for the last day, we are in a new port each day, and I’m concerned I will be too exhausted to enjoy them. We get in at 10am, board at 3pm, and depart at 7pm. Has anyone flown this long and departed the same day, how did your body hold up (I’m a young 50 something) it’s a lot of money to only sleep even if it is on deck?

If I were you I would be even more concerned about making the cruise rather than the jet lag, at least initially. Given the fact that many flights are delayed and you have 2 connections with only a few hours to make the ship I would think missing the cruise altogether would pose more of a concern (unless you booked directly with the cruiseline--not the travel agency). You haven't stated whether or not you have tried to re-book an earlier departure date or to even buy the ticket separately. It could make the difference between a memorable cruise for the right reasons or for the wrong reasons.

Having said that, I think you'll probably be fine. Everyone is different, but assuming you are like most people, and not used to this type of travel, it takes up to 3 days to adjust. We saw a few people obviously the victim of this while on our cruise.

Sleep as much as you can on the flight, then try as best as possible to make it until 7-8pm local time before you go to sleep. You're fortunate in that you will be kept busy with transfers and arrangements which will keep you awake until you board at 3pm, walk the ship and have lunch, whatever, at which time you can collapse in your stateroom and, then, wake the next morning refreshed AND IN EUROPE!

Have a great time.

We have done this cruise. We call it a working cruise because every day you are out on a tour . If you could go in a day or two earlier you could get over the jet lag and have a chance to see some of Barcelona. If you can not go in early, just follow the recomendations for overcoming jet lag, get plenty of rest and you should be able enjoy both second half as well as the first half of you cruise. You may want to pass on the shows early on to get some sleep so you are ready to go for the next day. I think it's more important to see the ports than some stage show on board. Have a great cruise.

I too am planning a Med cruise with a group on the Navigator June 30th to July 5. We are in Richmond and the those who participate in the groups air will depart from NY on the 28th arriv. in Barcelona the 29th with one night stay over. I was wondering when is your trip and even though we are going with the group we still have the option to book our own air, group air and cruise air. I say keep checking your options and see what you best is...like others have suggested I say try going in a day early if you can or speak with the group leader to try and make better arrangements for the groups peace of mind

I agree that you have a reason to be concerned. It sounds like a very nice itinerary.... but better to start the cruise once the jet lag has subsided.

Since there isn't a sea day until day 6 of your cruise, it could make for an exhausting week, esp. if this is your first visit to Florence, Rome and the Amalfi Coast, where you'll want to see as much as possible.

Does your trip include any extra time in Barcelona at the end? If not, I feel that it's too short of a trip to spend that amount of travel time & money without the advantage of spending a couple of days in one of Europe's most fascinating cities.

I agree with the others that it's definitely worth going and will probably be a lot of fun .... but hopefully you can tack on a couple of extra days at the beginning.

We like to go a day early just to rest before we start our cruise. Since we fly to Europe from Los Angeles it is quite a big difference in time zones. We have found it's best to stay up until it gets dark and then go to bed early that first night. Try to go easy on the coffee and booze as that can dehydrate you and make you even more tired. We are in our early-mid 60's and it works well for us. We are taking a 16 night cruise from Rome to Stockholm next June but plan to fly in one day early for a overnight in Rome, also will spend two nights in Stockholm post-cruise so we can see some of the area before returning home. Try not to overdo as there's no way you can see everything you want in the short timespan you'll have in each port. You will be tired because European cruises are very port intensive, but you'll love the cruise.....have fun!

I hope once you check into flight options, that you can change it to earlier, but if not, just take rest whenever you can.

What to do is research the various ports. For instance for Villefranche - you can take a bus or train to Nice, or to Monaco/Monte Carlo (or both). You can take public transportation to Eze or you can even just take the time and relax in Villefranche - have lunch, go back to the ship early and relax. You've gone all that way and you want see everything but if you think it's too much, take it easy at the start.

The next three stops are going to be really long days. Has the group you're going with arranged excursions? If not, get a few and do a private tour - you have smaller buses/vans, can get closer to the sights which means less walking and overall lends itself to a more relaxing day. Also, you can change the schedule quite quickly and the driver can accommodate any problems that arise (strikes, demonstrations, road blocks etc).

I love eating in the dining room but depending on which cruiseline you're on, eating at the more casual buffet style restaurant. Or if freestyle dining, opt for that and then you can eat when it best suits and still have an early night and turn in. Late seating on RCI means not getting finished until well after 10:00.

Order room service for breakfast to give you that extra time in bed and you can eat while getting ready rather than getting up early to grab breakfast before starting your day.

It is exhausting, but definitely well worth it and will be a trip to remember.

Frances

I'm a European, you'll note, so may have a different perspective.

We're doing a mediterranean cruise this coming October. There are a number of sea days, including the first and last full days (it is a round trip from Southampton).

I've looked at the Queen Victoria for next year, where they start and finish in the Mediterranean, and they seem too energetic for me.

I don't like more than three full days without a sea day, and ideally fewer. We end up doing half days or even missing ports.

Obviously it's easier for us to get back to European destinations. But we plan to take the same approach in New England and Canada next year - we are repeating a trip done in 2005 but won't bust a gut to fit in everything that we haven't done. I'm all for staying on board the ship in New York, for example!

It's better to see half of it awake, than all of it asleep. I'm 41, if it makes any difference.

Matthew

Please don't worry about it. I worried for months about being too tired, pick pockets, weather, etc. Everything was perfect. Flights were on time (we did arrive one day early which I would highly recommend) and we were on Europe time in one day. Yes the cruise is very port intensive but so worth it. We actually had 3 sea days since we sailed from Livorno in the middle of the night. Never had a problem with pick pockets (however I did get pinched in Rome walking thru the forum). Weather was crazy - hot, humid, raining, thunder and lightening!! Didn't matter, we were in Europe seeing the most beautiful sights ever!!

Please don't worry about it.

While worrying needlessly is a waste of energy, the OP brings up a good question about flying in the same day as the cruise and how it will impact her vacation (and her worry is probably justified.) I agree that if she books the trip as is, then she should try to work out a plan to enjoy the vacation without being exhausted ... and if she doesn't see this as a possibility, then it might be best to alter plans.

Please don't worry about it. I worried for months about being too tired, pick pockets, weather, etc. Everything was perfect. Flights were on time (we did arrive one day early which I would highly recommend) and we were on Europe time in one day. Yes the cruise is very port intensive but so worth it. We actually had 3 sea days since we sailed from Livorno in the middle of the night. Never had a problem with pick pockets (however I did get pinched in Rome walking thru the forum). Weather was crazy - hot, humid, raining, thunder and lightening!! Didn't matter, we were in Europe seeing the most beautiful sights ever!!

Thanks for your review. My DH is so worried about the infamous Rome pickpockets that he's getting pick pocket proof pants (I defy you to say that three times fast LOL) from Tilley hat people.

You're right about not worrying. There is just so much to see and do that I'll catch up on my sleep some other time.

Due to unavoidable circumstances, my mom (in her 70s) and I (in my 40s) flew into Rome the day we sailed from Civitavecchia. We did have a direct flight and knew we'd have plenty of time even with a substantial delay. We both slept some on the plane. We were tired on arrival that night (unpacked, had dinner, then to bed) but were fine and did a full-day tour of Pompeii/Naples the next day.

The only thing I'd worry about is your flight schedule. A direct flight is one thing, but changing planes is another!

Bottom line: You won't be too tired to enjoy the cruise. But what if you don't make the sailaway??

We did the same itinerary last month, but arrived in BCN a day early. You will be tired when you get there, but as others have said, don't let jet lag stop you from going.

Try to sleep on the flight over, and try No Jet Lag. It's sold online through Magellan's.com. I read about it these boards - it's supposed to be good for preventing jet lag.

Have a great cruise!

We did this cruise last year Oct 12 nights from Barcelona to Venice. We chose the 2 nite pre-cruise in Barcelona to regroup. But with the running around and sightseeing in Barcelona we were still tired. Going over on the plane I take earplugs, wear compy clothes, take my own snacks and a good book. We actually flew from Fort Myers to Philadelphia and from PHL to Barcelona non-stop about 8 hrs from philly. We had chosen shore excursions every day (so that meant from 7am to 6pm) and knew that we would probably fall into bed at night. I took a very nice foot cream that I massaged my feet with every night before bed, this really helps due to all the walking. I looked at this intensive cruise as a "Once in a lifetime experience" and with that in mind we had a fabulous time. I am 50 and DH is 63. We are in good health and good shape physically.....There were a lot of people who probably should not of done this cruise but hung in till the end. At the end of the day, all of our new friends agreed......this was fabulous. Go, enjoy, don't worry about being tired....you can be tired at home just as easy....hahahaha

Archived