Half Moon Cay Horse Swim Excursion review w/pics

jc811

We were also the only ones who tipped, out of 12 people. We even threw in a tip for BIL, who went along. I don't know - I was raised to appreciate hard work/good service. These guys (especially on 1/2 moon, where they stay full-time) probably don't get paid too much. They were polite, fun, and fullfilled my expectations of this excursion. Hence, they got a tip!

pe4all:

Thank you so much for the great review! I have been trying to decide whether or not to do this here on HMC or wait and do it on Grand Turk. I think you just made my decision easier! We are definitely beach people and plan to spend some time just lounging on the beach...however we are adventorous at the same time and kind of want a "planned" activity too. Thanks again....can't wait! :D

No problem! This excursion was first thing in the a.m. We docked 1 hour early, took 1st tender over (they had 2 going at once, and were making announcements begging people to get on) Spent 1 hour on the beach before the ride. We then had the rest of the day to hang on the beach, which was beautiful! I was very pleased, as this was our 1st time at Half Moon. I actually liked Half Moon better than Grand Turk - I think the beach was much nicer. (Felt smaller/more crowded at Turk) Whatever you decide, I don't think you can go wrong. Enjoy your cruise!

Oh, MUCH prefer HMC to Grand Turk. Grand Turk is OK, but I'd go back to HMC every cruise if I could. The beach is much nicer. I'm not a Margaritaville person, and don't really snorkel much (and certainly don't dive). If you're into diving, GT is supposed to be wonderful.

Personally, I'd do the HR&S in Grand Turk and just do HMC as the beach day. I'm only going to do the horses in December on HMC because I haven't done them there and I want to compare.

NCTribefan, could you please post your comparison. I have been trying to decide on the HR&S in Grand Turk or HMC. I was thinking of enjoying the beach on HMC and riding in GT as you said. The only problem is folks have posted liking HMC better so I'd be interested in a direct comparison. Thanks so much for sharing your photos and info. I hope things work out with your daughter.

I don't know if this helps - but I read on the excursion list that the stable on Grand Turk is a bus ride "across the island". I don't know if they build this travel time into the tour or not, or cut the ride shorter because of it. It may be something to look into.

Yes, the stable is at the very tip of the island. The ride itself is like getting an island tour, and if you have a good driver, he'll give you all the commentary and history lesson.

Since Chukka's website lists GT's excursion as 2 hr 40 min and show HMC as 1 hr 30 min, I'd have to think they're just figuring in the travel time for people who may want to schedule more than one excursion. I doubt that the ride is more than 15-20 minutes at the most, but I've never really paid attention. Sorry, I don't wear a watch while cruising!

• 2 weeks later...

JC811: Great review!!! Thanks so much for sharing pictures too. I definitely want to book this excursion (either here or in Grand Turks) now. I haven't been on a horse either except pony rides as a kid, lol.

Thanks again!

Melissa

I'm wondering if this is something worth doing on our next cruise. I don't think boyfriend has ever ridden a horse before, and these excursions are generally easy enough for someone with no experience whatsoever (the horses do all the work).

What's up with the helmets on the first part of the ride? Is that mandatory? I can't see wearing one to basically sit on a walking horse in the soft sand! Also, is there a weight limit? Boyfriend is about 240 - not a little guy by any means. I'm not sure someone that weight would be fair to the horse.....I hate seeing them appearing to be overworked.

Sue/WDW1972

Westerdam 1/11/09

Also, is there a weight limit? Boyfriend is about 240 - not a little guy by any means. I'm not sure someone that weight would be fair to the horse.....I hate seeing them appearing to be overworked.

Sue/WDW1972

Westerdam 1/11/09

Hi, Sue! On HAL's website it lists 250 pounds as the maximum weight for this excursion.

Melissa

• 2 weeks later...

Re: helmets - it was just minors, I believe, who had to wear them in Grand Turk. There, the first portion of the ride is a true trail ride where you ride up and down the trail which has rocky portions. I'm sure it's a liability issue.

Looks like I'm not going to have to cancel our December cruise after all, so if this ever shows up, I'll book it online. We were sitting on the Glory last week, relaxing in the sun, and I asked DD if I needed to cancel so she could walk at commencement. She looked over her sunglasses at me and said, "I think I can wait and walk in May."

:D

Looks like I'm not going to have to cancel our December cruise after all, so if this ever shows up, I'll book it online. We were sitting on the Glory last week, relaxing in the sun, and I asked DD if I needed to cancel so she could walk at commencement. She looked over her sunglasses at me and said, "I think I can wait and walk in May."

:D

That is great!!! Congrats!

Melissa

Archived