Greetings from the Golden in St. Lucia - dining room menus

Ocruise

Hi everyone. Having a great time. The dining room just gets better & better. By the way, last weel I posted a question titled "where can I find menus to the Golden?" Bill posted with a link & I want everyone to know that that site was great & the menus listed there are 100% current and accurate. This is helpful for those who want to go to an alternative rest. & not sure what day to pick. We have found that the dining room menus are so great & eclectic, that we will not be goning to Sabitinis or Desert Rose. That's how much we love the dining room. Personal choice (I notice on the ship everyone now calls it anytime ding) is still great, still have not made a reservation, never had to wait even in peak times (& we always get a table for 2 by ourselves).

I just wanted to post on what we did in St. Lucia. We did the st. lucia snorkel (new waves). It was not good at all. We went to Anse Chasnet marine park which had jellyfish, sea ants/lice that bit you (Note: on the tour description it says you will go to Soufrie marine park but i'm guessing these are the same?). Also, the tour operators told us to go under the rope to snorkel in a certain area. He neglected to inform us that if you so much as even touch this rope (it has alge growing on it) your skin will BURN LIKE FIRE and get a terrible rash! The rope brushed against the back of my shoulder & I thought I got bit by a man-o-war, it stung for about 3 hours. I still have a big red rash where the rope touched me that I hope goes away soon. I have never had this happen on a snorkel trip. The marine park/snorkeling itself is nothing great, have seen much better elsewhere. Also there is a strong current, my husband had to help pull this girl in who was getting sucked out.

I would recommend the whale/dolphin watching instead of this tour, IMHO. But, the one thing I loved about this tour was that they sailed past the pitons so we could get pictures of it. I loved that part.

Shopping: We stayed in the terminal mall which was nice. For 1.00 you can take a water taxi to an open-air crafts market. I don't know if that was good or not, since we did not make it there.

In this mall I got a MAGNIFICENT copy of a Gucci bag for 54.00 that retails in the Gucci store in NYC for $800.00. Now I know my designer bags & I could not believe this was a copy! Other than that the shopping is pretty small/limited.

I'll post again soon, off to Antigua tom.

~ Marina

Thanks so much for posting, Marina. I'm on your sailing in Oct. In St. Lucia, I hope to go to Caribelle batiks, it isn't supposed to be too far away....in Castries.

In Antigua, I hope to do a Lawrence of Antigua tour, it sounds good and reasonable.

Enjoy your cruise and keep the opinions coming. There's nothing like first hand experience!

Bye for now! :D

Thanks for the update, Marina, my friend and business partner is on the Golden right now too...just got an e-mail that she had a bad experience in St. Lucia, but no details. I'm hoping it wasn't similar to YOUR experience! :(

Hope you enjoy the rest of the cruise!

Thanks for the heads up on New Waves snorkel trip.We had made reservations for an independant tour doing the exact same thing.I don't like jelly fish so will change it to the Whale Watching trip which was my second choice. Any body on board make any comments about that excursion?

Thanks for taking time to post.

There is a product called Sea Safe Lotion to put on your boby prior to going in the water. It stops bites from sea lice, jelly fish and fire coral. The pests are busy this time of year and after a storm. I plan to use in September. Also prevents sun burn.

I think it is the time of the year and also after a hurricane that is causing problem. After a hurricane, the sea has churned so much, the water is full of floating microscopic stuff (reduced visibility) and fishes dont like that muddiness either. Anse chasnel is a good site for scuba diving. Normally you should have had a good time. What you encountered, unfortunately, a lot to do with the season.

You can get the Sea Safe lotion in most dive shops next time if you go in a "bad" season, to help prevent sting.

Archived