Walking...Lunch/Drinks...Downtown things to see and do???

2Canucks

Can someone explain how to walk from the pier to downtown. Over a pontoon bridge but how to get to the bridge?

Also is there bar/restaurants to sit and have lunch/drinks and people watch?

I'm looking for a "printable sized" map of the downtown area... is there one online somewhere?

If you have "walked" this port please share your experience with us.

We are arriving on Celebrity's "Summit"...where will it dock?

Thanks in advance for your help with the above questions!

Pat :)

Pat,

There are two piers on Curacao. The "old" pier is along the waterfront that separates the two sides of the island, on the "Otrabanda" side, and is very close to the Queen Emma bridge (the floating bridge). The second pier is also on the Otrabanda side,farther from the Queen Emma bridge, but still is walkable to the floating bridge. If you dock at the old pier, you can easily see how to get across to Willemstad, a few minutes walk away. If you dock at the new pier, there is a visitor info center as you walk off the ship, and they can point you in the direction of the floating bridge. It's only maybe 10-15 minutes farther to walk from the 2nd pier. The visitor center should also be able to give you a walking tour brochure. There are many historic sites to visit. We liked the floating market, where the boats tie up to sell fish and other goods to the locals. Very colorful (and pungent!). We also enjoyed visiting the Jewish synagogue, the oldest in the Northern Hemisphere.

The visitor center could also advise you as to restaurants/bars. The one we stopped at was a bit far from town.

Here is a site with some maps of Curacao:

http://www.caribbean-on-line.com/cr/crm.html

Hope this helps!

Becki

It's an easy walk to downtown and there is lots to see and do.

As for the synagogue, the first time I was on the island it was part of a shore excursion so it was open to us. Another time I was on the island, it was closed and, from what I understand, it's not usually left open for the public to come and go. It is well worth seeing and I would suggest that you check into the dates and times that the public at large is allowed in. Sorry, but I don't have any idea who might be able to tell you this other than the Dept. of Tourism for Curacao.

Yes, there are bars/restaurants to sit and have lunch or a drink. The prices are rather steep though. There are also the usual fast food places.

Depending on the number of cruise ships in on the day you are there, the streets and shops could get very crowded. There are ample stores selling lovely lace tablecloths, doilies, table runners, etc. imported from Holland. If I remember correctly the streets are cobblestone so ensure that you are wearing good walking shoes.

The floating market is worth seeing as is the large cathedral type church whose name escapes me at the moment.

If I might suggest it, it might be worth taking the trolley ride excursion which stops at quite a few must-sees and then ends in the shopping district. I did this the first time and did my shopping at the end of the ride when they drop you off and walked back to the ship.

• 2 weeks later...

I took the trolley tour as a shore excursion. I can't remember how we were transported downtown from the ship. It must have been by bus. Once the tour is finished, you can stay downtown and get back to the ship on your own via a walk across the bridge and up the incline or I'm sure they'll transport you back up the same way they got you there.

• 1 month later...
Where did you catch the trolley? What was the fare? did you get on and off the trolley at the various places to sitesee?

You catch the Trolley on the Punda side of the swinging bridge right beside the government buildings.

(Go over swinging bridge and turn left. A few hundred feet and that's where they load up.)

And before you walk across the swinging bridge (still on the Ontrabanda side) there is this little "batido" wagon which serves up excellent fresh fruit smoothies. You can choose from a variety of fruit and they are just delicious!

About $3. a cup.

The Jewish synagogue, which is the oldest on the Western Hemisphere is worth going to. It is on the PUnda side as if the floating market, the Reformed church which used to be a "sail-drying" place and still has a cannonball in the outside wall from an earlier war.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the helpful info.

We will be on a Princess Cruise in January. We'll be in Curacao from 8am to 6pm, and the Trolley Tour offered by the ship is from 2:45pm-4:15pm. Would it be better for us to do the trolley on our own?

Thanks!

The shore excursion should provide transportation to the Trolley- check with Princess. On our Princess cruise, we were docked at the mega pier- if you are too, you will have a 15 min. walk to the Trolley- not a problem to walk- it's fun- but you don't want to miss the Trolley!

You catch the Trolley on the Punda side of the swinging bridge right beside the government buildings.

(Go over swinging bridge and turn left. A few hundred feet and that's where they load up.)

And before you walk across the swinging bridge (still on the Ontrabanda side) there is this little "batido" wagon which serves up excellent fresh fruit smoothies. You can choose from a variety of fruit and they are just delicious!

About $3. a cup.

The Jewish synagogue, which is the oldest on the Western Hemisphere is worth going to. It is on the PUnda side as if the floating market, the Reformed church which used to be a "sail-drying" place and still has a cannonball in the outside wall from an earlier war.

SORRY! Please NOTE: After you walk across the swinging bridge turn RIGHT (not left) and go a few hundred feet. You'll see the trolley there beside the government buildings as well as under some uniquely sculpted trees. The trunks have been carved with local art and then lacquered to preserve it...

On your own will be cheaper. And it runs a bunch of times per day when the cruises are in.

BTW, I have been to Curacao many times and have never done the trolley... I like to walk and get into the "nooks and crannies" of a local town. So many things you don't get to see with the trolley or you just get a "skim-by". But if you are physically incapable of walking long distances, it would be a great alternative to walking the cobblestone streets yourself. Downtown Curacao has a unique ambience that I believe is best experienced by walking...

There are many little outdoor cafes and restaurants inside the downtown core that are a pleasure to sit and have a cool drink.

Lots of things to see and you get a first hand view of the local culture and the people because they all shop there as well.

• 2 months later...

Is the trolley tour a "hop on, hop off" kind of tour, or do you have to stay on the same trolley? If you have to get back on the same trolley, how long do you have to explore at the stops? Or does it stop?? Is it just sight-seeing with no stops?

I will be there with my sister in March and she has some difficulty walking and has to go slowly, so it would be ideal if we could take the trolley and explore at our own pace at some of the stops.

Bonnie

Just as you cross the pontoon bridge there is a round stand. There are a couple of folks there in yellow shirts with Casper Tours. They give you a great 1.5 hour tour in an air conditioned bus of not only the downtown but also other parts of the island and it was only $15 per person which is cheaper than the Trolley. You can see some photos at http://www.pbase.com/iflyrc5/curacao_town

SORRY! Please NOTE: After you walk across the swinging bridge turn RIGHT (not left) and go a few hundred feet. You'll see the trolley there beside the government buildings as well as under some uniquely sculpted trees. The trunks have been carved with local art and then lacquered to preserve it...

On your own will be cheaper. And it runs a bunch of times per day when the cruises are in.

BTW, I have been to Curacao many times and have never done the trolley... I like to walk and get into the "nooks and crannies" of a local town. So many things you don't get to see with the trolley or you just get a "skim-by". But if you are physically incapable of walking long distances, it would be a great alternative to walking the cobblestone streets yourself. Downtown Curacao has a unique ambience that I believe is best experienced by walking...

There are many little outdoor cafes and restaurants inside the downtown core that are a pleasure to sit and have a cool drink.

Lots of things to see and you get a first hand view of the local culture and the people because they all shop there as well.

Hi there! Going in a couple of weeks. Where do we want to go to find the best beautiful pictures to take home and share with everyone. One day isn't long to explore, and we are up for your suggestions. Thanks so much! Tammy

Tammy, one of my favorite photo stops is standing on the Otrabanda side facing the buildings along the Punda. The buildings are painted varying colors and it is very picturesque. You can also get some photos of the floating bridge opening and closing here, as well as photos of the Queen Juliana bridge, which seems impossibly high from that vantage point. The floating market is also a very unique photo (and olfactory) opportunity. As already mentioned, the synagogue is a very special place, and there are other historic builidings you can visit. You can pick up a brochure to take a walking tour at the visitor's center.

This thread has so much info THANKS...Would like to know if its feasible to do tour of town, shopping in am..grab somethingto eat and take cruise line excursion (cheaper than taxi?)to beach at 12:30...

OR is it bettr to beach first and then do town?? Would think since beach and ocean makes us tired shoppig should be first???

CAN YOU DO BOTH????

Archived