Capri's in Dining Room

Nana Dawn

Good morning:) there are quite a few threads about this topic....you will receive a variety of replies.....I think for casual evening a nice pair of capris are fine. When you ask "other than formal night", I don't really consider capris "informal" but can be very cute for casual evenings:).

Enjoy your cruise!

I agonized over this topic when I took my last cruise. Based on my observations:

cotton sheeting capris or denim capris should not be in the dining rooms at night

very nice cotton or spandex type fabric capris with coordinating or matching tops are OK

While I'm in the planning stages for the upcoming cruise wardrobe I've set aside:

black cotton sateen capris embroidered with cocktail glasses in lots of colors to be worn with either a hot pink twin set or a purple spandex tank (both colors are in the pants) and a black spandex 3/4 sleeve jacket; and pale coral microfiber capris with a black lacy sweater and black, silk, heeled slides.

Princess has only two categories of attire for dining, resort casual and formal. The capri sets I mentioned will work fine for the resort casual. My other capri sets that are much more casual I'll save for daytime in the dining room.

Have a great cruise!!

Thank you solocruiser-you said exactly what I have been trying to say and have been getting flamed for it. It is not that capris are wrong -it is just some can't see the difference in a dressier style capri then the cotton ones that are more obviously for picnic wear or to go watch your kid's ball game etc.

As we all know it goes beyond capris at dinner-so many just plain don't observe the dress code and people like me are afraid one day the cruiselines will discontinue it. So many want to dress like they do at Disneyworld. I think this is just sad-why even at churches people wear anything and think this should be okay.

I understand NCL offers different restuarants on their ships and the choice not to dresss in some but where you can get better quality food then the lido buffet. How many have done NCL and does this work? Maybe this is what all the cruiselines should go to. That way all of us can be happy.

Are ladies capri pants okay in the dining rooms for nights other than formal?

I think they are fine. I only bring one pair of long pants with me and I don't wear shorts. My wardrobe is mostly capris outfits and Caribbean attire.

I have this one pair of capris that are black with a little hem that I keep in my closet of "cruise attire." I wear them with a black top; black and white stripe collar; white scarf tied around my neck. I try to wear this outfit for French cruisine night or Italian night, but so many of the lines are doing away with these nights. Anyway, yes, a pair of dressy capris are fine for the dining room, IMO.;)

Momofmeg, I hope you weren't offended by any of my comments on capris. It's just that I usually wear resort casual so I don't even think about denim or khaki as options for everyday wear, much less cruisewear. I think we're actually talking about the same styles.:)

:)

Imosoreal, may I ask if the cruises you take have formal evenings? If so, do you choose not to attend them?

I attend the formal nights and dress appropriately. I'm sorry I didn't give you all the details. First cruise I wore a metallic gold sequined dress (not yellow gold)with gold sequined sandals to match (honeymoon). Second cruise I wore a black knee length dress. Third cruise I wore a two-piece black suit with silver sequined tank. Fourth cruise I wore a long back t-strap gown. Will try to attach picture. I just need to figure out how to do my under the eye make-up. Tried to hide the 41 year old lines. Upcoming cruise I may either wear a red gown, or bring a dressy suit. I don't know I'm hitting the outlets for the Labor Day sale, I might find something else. For all other times I'll wear my carribean outfits similar to the one shown in my avatar and my capris.

I attend the formal nights and dress appropriately. I'm sorry I didn't give you all the details. First cruise I wore a metallic gold sequined dress (not yellow gold)with gold sequined sandals to match (honeymoon). Second cruise I wore a black knee length dress. Third cruise I wore a two-piece black suit with silver sequined tank. Fourth cruise I wore a long back t-strap gown. Will try to attach picture. I just need to figure out how to do my under the eye make-up. Tried to hide the 41 year old lines. Upcoming cruise I may either wear a red gown, or bring a dressy suit. I don't know I'm hitting the outlets for the Labor Day sale, I might find something else. For all other times I'll wear my carribean outfits similar to the one shown in my avatar and my capris.
What a nice looking Family

Imsoreal, what a lovely photo of you and your family:) ....

Thanks for the explanation! When you first posted the reply it sounded like you meant you wore capris every night....

Your dresses and suits sound really nice:D ........

I sail on Saturday (hopefully)....I decided to start packing today...gosh, I am hoping IVAN stays AWAY:eek:

Momofmeg, I hope you weren't offended by any of my comments on capris. It's just that I usually wear resort casual so I don't even think about denim or khaki as options for everyday wear, much less cruisewear. I think we're actually talking about the same styles.:)

Not at all. As I said it is just some think capris and that any capri is okay. I am still wondering about the woman that did Alaska on Statendam if she felt comfortable in her capis since she was wearing the shorter ones.

If you have read other of my posts you will find the only time I was really offended was when a table close to me the people came to dinner in old worn out jeans and faded shirts, teeshirts etc-sweaty and dirty-their hair was not even brushed and this was on formal night. I was amazed the maitr'd allowed them in the dinningroom.

I enjoy "dressing" for dinner and hope this stays a part of the cruising experience. Hey I have some capri pantsuits too and ofcourse I wear them but my other capris are daywear-the ones more casual. I love capris-my 50 year old legs just don't look so great in shorts anymore.

Well Lois I guess you leave this Sat. let us know about your cruise and if you like HAL as well as Celebrity. I leave next weekend on Disney Wonder. I will post too if I think it is better then Sovereign or not.

nugsmon I saw those in Marshall's here but to me they were too casual even though they were in a nicer fabric- I thought the martinis all over them made them more in the "shorts" catagory but then that is just my opinion. Hey have any of you guys read the "dressy shorts" tread. I knew that would be here next as everyone keeps saying the shorter capris are okay.

I do like dressing for dinner on cruises and though I don't go as far as Holly from Scotland does I still don't go in what I call "picnic" casual ( I think there is a reason shorter capris are also called clam diggers and peddle pushers)-I am not offended by others wearing these- I really believe as long as you are comfortable and not worried about being out of place it is really no big deal. If you make a little faux paux no one will notice you. They will be too busy looking at the out and out rebels to really notice what length your capris are.

Nugs:

My cruise is 4 weeks from today so I don't think we are on the same one. LOL Of course those pants that were designed as capris are really slacks on me since I'm so short. What kind of top are you wearing with yours?? I have a purple silk knitted boat neck sweater and a pink v-neck cotton sweater. I think I look pretty elegant in these "slacks." They are novel but not nearly as sporty as say khakais would be.

• 2 weeks later...

oh, man. I thought capris were exactly what I needed. I just bought four capri outfits, matching tops at Kohls 50% off sale.

Knit solid tops with a coordinating print capri pant in knit. You think they would be too casual for a cruise on the Millennium??

SisZ

Not all slacks are casual and not all capris are casual. I have some very nice capris that are lined and some have embroidery on them. I plan on wearing them on the informal nights. I also have a pair of capris with martini classes on them and I plan on wearing them with a beautiful lime green sweater and a glitzy martini glass pin that I recently bought.

I think all the capri outfits described would be perfectly fine on any ship's informal evenings!! On my upcoming cruise (besides 2 nights formal wear) I'm bringing 1 pair of black slacks, 1 pair of black capris, 1 black skirt, and a tropical sundress for Caribbean party night. The tops are all mix and match. The black capris will probably be worn with a white or coral boatneck shirt and sandals.

The MOST IMPORTANT thing to wear with your capri pants is CONFIDENCE! If you look nice, and you know it, no one is going to question your choice of attire!

TinaLee :cool:

Archived