LL Bean Shuttle

lss111

......Where can one get onto the free LL bean shuttle?.....

The first street you come to after leaving the tender dock (part of the town dock) is West St which runs parallel to the harbor. Cross West St and take an immediate left onto Main St. Go 2 blocks up Main and you'll come to the BH town green where you can pick up the free shuttles.

......decided to do Oli's Trolley tour......

If there is a cruise ship in, Oli's Trolley may make a pickup at the town dock, otherwise, you will see a pick-up spot as you walk up Main to the town green.

Depending on which shuttle you take, you may be duplicating what you'll be seeing on Oli's Trolley except the shuttles don't go to the top of Cadillac Mountain

Here's the link to Oli's Trolley:

http://www.acadiaislandtours.com/index.html

Here's the schedule & map for the shuttles:

http://www.exploreacadia.com/maps.html

You may want to read this recent thread about BH tours:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=620447

SBtS

Here's the link for routes & schedule of the free shuttle:

http://www.exploreacadia.com/maps.html

The shuttles are sponsored by LL Bean but none go to the store. They only do Bar Harbor & Acadia National Park; and run about every 30 minutes during operating season.

.....Is it worth it to go to LL Bean?.... Yes, but LL Bean's main store is in Freeport, ME. MSN maps has it at just under 160 miles and 2H 40M away. There is a small retail store in Ellsworth, Me, about 20 miles away.

SBtS

• 3 weeks later...

.....Is it worth it to go to LL Bean?.... Yes, but LL Bean's main store is in Freeport, ME. MSN maps has it at just under 160 miles and 2H 40M away. There is a small retail store in Ellsworth, Me, about 20 miles away.

SBtS

The LL Bean store in Ellsworth is a lot of "seconds". Sometimes you can find a great deal, sometimes they are the same price as Freeport.

Have a great cruise!:D

This shuttle looks like such a great method to get around Bar Harbor. The last time we took the cruise to New England the shuttle closed 3 days before. This time the same thing!! I wish the shuttle would run until the cruise ship schedules are over.

Having the Island Explorer during the Fall season started in 2002 when LLBean donated $1million as their 90th anniversary gift to the state of Maine. That money is still being used to extend the free shuttle season each Fall. It would be nice if the shuttle could run through all the months that the cruise ships visit Bar Harbor... but the service is paid for by donations. Those donations would have to increase a lot before the service could be extended even more.

And... FWIW... it's not the "LLBean Shuttle", it's the "Island Explorer Shuttle". The LLBean donation only pays for the shuttle to be in service during Sept and and part of October.

Here's a link to the Explorer website: http://www.exploreacadia.com/index.html

Also... it was on the news this morning that the shuttle route will be extended!

Having the Island Explorer during the Fall season started in 2002 when LLBean donated $1million as their 90th anniversary gift to the state of Maine. That money is still being used to extend the free shuttle season each Fall. It would be nice if the shuttle could run through all the months that the cruise ships visit Bar Harbor... but the service is paid for by donations. Those donations would have to increase a lot before the service could be extended even more.

And... FWIW... it's not the "LLBean Shuttle", it's the "Island Explorer Shuttle". The LLBean donation only pays for the shuttle to be in service during Sept and and part of October.

Here's a link to the Explorer website: http://www.exploreacadia.com/index.html

Also... it was on the news this morning that the shuttle route will be extended!

Thanks. You said the shuttle route will be extended. Is that in distance or dates? We are visiting Bar Harbor on our cruise on Oct 15th. Thank you for the information!

Hey Rich... any good buys there right now? I almost drove down your way today to see. I also feel a Reny's trip comin' on. ;)

MECruzr (near Bangor)

I'm not sure. I live about a mile from it, but don't make it in very often. I'll try to take a quick trip up today.:D

I'm not sure. I live about a mile from it, but don't make it in very often. I'll try to take a quick trip up today.:D

Yup, time to go to Beans, and Renys and hit the Big Chicken Barn on the way home. And maybe some thai for lunch at the Bangkok mmmmmm yum

Definitely gotta hit the Big Chicken Barn. That's where my dh and ds took me for Mother's Day this year. :) Where is the Bangkok??? Or did they rename China Hill???

Sept10... According to the news, they're going to extend the routes next season to include more of MDI (Mt Desert Island) and also one to Ellsworth. I couldn't find anything online to confirm this, though.

The Bangkok is part of a hotel, its next to the Elks club. Up on the hill past China Hill.

I hit Beans yesterday. Didnt find anything but they were having a great sale on pants, 9.95 i think. Lots of other stuff percentages off.

Aunu ... I know where that is! I think I am the only one that has never been to the Big Chicken Barn ... One of these days I'll stop.

Had a 2 day conference at the Samoset a few weeks ago, and spent some time at Reny's on the way back home ... also stopped at the Job Lots store ... found some good buys there (including a really cool rake for all the neighbors leaves that seem to fall into my yard).

Beans in Bangor every once in awhile has a few nice items, more for men then women it seems ...

Have a wonderful day all ... today is a lovely Maine autumn day, leaves are beautiful, sun is shining, temps in the 60's ... perfect fall weather ... enjoy ... Jan

Archived