How noisy is MUTS?

shofer

We are booked on the Grand for 2/2/08 and have 3 balcony cabins amidships on the Aloha Deck. Are we going to be sorry? Is MUTS going day & night?

I am not expecting too many children at this time of the year so I am not expecting round the clock cartoons either. But I would like to sit by the pool without constant blasting "entertainment" too.

Is there an adult quiet pool on the Grand? Hard to tell from the ship layout in the brochure or online.

Thanks

MUTS is quite loud but if you are on the deck directly below this, the movie playing will be the least of your issues. If you are directly below the pool deck, the scraping chairs, people walking above your room on the wooden deck, ping pong, deck parties, etc. right above you will be pretty much 24/7. I am not sure of the Grand's deck plans, but anything directly under that pool deck (usually where MUTS is) is pretty noisy. I would try to move down to the Caribe, Dolphin or Baja if it were up to me.

And here we thought we had a great upgrade! We were on the Aloha deck on the Coral and really didn't hear any noise at all and we were in the relatively same area. I am anticipating an older crowd (again) because of the time of the year. We cruised the same week last time.

I would just take one of those sound machine clock radios. This should drown out any noise from above. I didn't mean to burst any bubbles but was on the Crown last year directly under the Trident Grill on the pool deck. The suites were located further midship, including being under MUTS. Lots of complaining pax from the noise above. I think if I knew now what I knew then, I would have definitely chosen a cabin below or taken something to curtail the noise from above.

And here we thought we had a great upgrade! We were on the Aloha deck on the Coral and really didn't hear any noise at all and we were in the relatively same area. I am anticipating an older crowd (again) because of the time of the year. We cruised the same week last time.

The Coral didn't have MUTS. Yes, it goes day and night. I don't know when it starts, but I believe somewhere around 7:00 AM. Oops...sorry; based my answer on the Caribbean. Don't know about the Grand.

We honestly do not know why so many love MUTS,, because we find that its often just annoying. This is particularly true on ships where they blast the "noise" through the deck speakers all day long which takes away all the peace and quiet some would prefer when sitting on the pool deck. One exception was when we were on the Diamond of the Seas where they used radio-driven earphones during the daytime and only turned on the speakers during the evening shows. However, when we were on the Grand they did not have this feature. Not sure how they are currently doing the MUTS on each ship and which system will eventually be fleet-wide.

Hank

We are booked on the Grand for 2/2/08 and have 3 balcony cabins amidships on the Aloha Deck. Are we going to be sorry? Is MUTS going day & night?

I am not expecting too many children at this time of the year so I am not expecting round the clock cartoons either. But I would like to sit by the pool without constant blasting "entertainment" too.

Is there an adult quiet pool on the Grand? Hard to tell from the ship layout in the brochure or online.

Thanks

I don't know exactly where the screen is vs. your cabin below on Aloha deck, but on the new Emerald of the Seas, the sound was loud both day & night. We had an Aloha deck cabin which was in an excellent position (pre-Muts). We had a very port intensive itinerary on the Emerald. There is an adult aft pool on the Grand, also. That is a great place to relax.

Bon Voyage

The problem with MUTS is that it is not just UTS but all the time - or most of the time. On our cruise there were only 60 kids on board but animated films like "Happy Feet" were played at high volume during the day (whilst most of kids were in the kids club). It is loud although I don't think you would hear it on another deck. However it can spoil your enjoyment of the pool area quite significantly.

The Coral didn't have MUTS. Yes, it goes day and night. I don't know when it starts, but I believe somewhere around 7:00 AM. Oops...sorry; based my answer on the Caribbean. Don't know about the Grand.

I wasn't clear about our location on the Coral. I meant I didn't hear any deck noise in our cabin. I know they didn't have MUTS. If I wanted to sit in front of the boob tube all day, I could stay home and not spend lots of $$$ on a cruise.

Looks like quite a difference of opinion on the value of MUTS.

I guess we will be seeking out the Santuary pool for some peace and quiet.

Archived