Alaska veterans: list your 5 must have's for Alaska cruise.

dhmom99

While just started my research on Alaska cruising, I am wondering what are the top 5 must have's extra for Alaska cruise. When I say "extra", I mean some non-critical items that can be left home, but will be very nice to bring along. One example will be digitical camera. Any others? Thanks

While just started my research on Alaska cruising, I am wondering what are the top 5 must have's extra for Alaska cruise. When I say "extra", I mean some non-critical items that can be left home, but will be very nice to bring along. One example will be digitical camera. Any others? Thanks

Good binoculars - although I consider them critical :)

While other people may have different list, here is mine:

Critical:

1. Camera (digital or film). Preferably covers both wide and telephoto range

2. A good pair of waterproof wide angle binoculars

Important:

3. A print out of Murray's guide if Skagway is one of the ports (most likely)

4. Laptop with extra batteries if possible

5. Alarm clock (or a watch with alarm function). You will need that when you stay in an inside cabin.

I also highly recommend an umbrella, good walking shoes, and a clock whether you are in an inside or balcony as the ships do not supply clocks except on the phone and those I find hard to read. My DH loved to look at the scenery with his good binoculars. On glacier days my gloves really came in handy.

Marilyn

1) Digital camera with double the memory cards you think you need. If you just have a little point and shoot, think 2 GB and just go nuts. SLR people, high speed shooting eats up gigs REALLY fast, even if you're shooting in jpg.

Now's the time to go digital if you're still on film. Otherwise, you miss out on a ton of beautiful pics or you have the cost of your cruise fare in film. :D Extra batteries if you can afford it (memory cards are a lot cheaper than batteries).

2) Good walking shoes. Preferably waterproof. Use a waterproof spray if you have to ($7).

3) An empty suitcase. It's real easy to overpack leaving you with no room to bring back any souvenirs.

That's about it. I think I only have 3 must haves. A power strip might be nice so you can plug more things in, but I don't know if it's a "must". I didn't bring one and survived.

I brought binoculars. I dunno how important they are. They were nice, but I really don't think any of us felt they were that important.

Gloves, hats, etc. All that stuff can be bought in Alaska. The key is layering. If you don't wear this stuff normally, maybe you want to wait until you get to Alaska to buy it. Ketchikan is cheapest, but it's still not that bad in Anchorage. I got fleece gloves for $5. The fleece lined rain jacket you'll see everyone wearing is $20 in Ketchikan and $30 in Anchorage. So, might not be worth it to pack and to just buy it in Alaska if needed. They make nice souvenirs.

Can I ask why the laptop? For uploading digital pics? I have lots of memory sticks so I wasn't planning to bring a laptop. Is there any other reason for the laptop?

Thanks!

UMTerp

The laptop is for downloading pics from your memory cards in case something happens to your memory card.

I disagree with that line of thinking. Hard drives (among other computer parts, like motherboards) fail also. You've got the same risk. Plus, laptops cost a LOT more than an extra memory card or 100 so if it gets stolen/damaged, you're out a lot more. You can use data recovery software on both. Plus, laptops just take up too much room and are just extra weight. I think it's better to just have extra memory cards and format them before the trip to minimize chance of failure.

#1. Binoculars

#2. Digital camera and camcorder

#3. Soft sided cooler to take along lunches for excursions

#4. Power strip as there are never enough convenient outlets to power #2 above and alo your cell phone curling iron etc.

#5. Extra duffle bag for souveniers so you won't be caught with overweight luggage on the return trip trying to shuffle things between bags while o line at the airport check in. :mad: :mad:

1. the laptop and disk for photo storage. had a great day in glacier bay, editing and coping my photos. knew they were safe and sound for the flight back. got to do that while sitting on the balcony.

2. the power strip, worked great...only had 1 outlet in the cabin, 1/2 of it had the coffee pot (for my hot chocolate every day) needed the extra outlets for the camera's battery, the laptop recharging and the phones battery (DH had to keep in touch with work).

3. my sleeveless vests...only took 1 this trip, but lived in it when in port. didn't need a jacket or coat. just the vest over a light sweater with my rain poncho or slicker (DH and i switched as to who wore which)

4. waterproof shoes..it rained in 2 ports, not just a light mist...but real rain!! make sure they have soles to don't go sliding. many of the planes and boats have steep ramps...slippery when wet.

5. my empty duffle bag, i keep it folded in my luggage..for the "just in case". it's been there since one of my luggage ripped an hour before the shuttle to the airport in jamaica. the porters, at the resort, had to use a whole roll of heavy duty tape to close it. works for dirty clothes hamper while cruising.

Can I ask why the laptop? For uploading digital pics? I have lots of memory sticks so I wasn't planning to bring a laptop. Is there any other reason for the laptop?

Thanks!

UMTerp

Personally for my situation I need a laptop to keep up on some work while I travel. Just the realities of owning a small business. Using public computers doesn't work since I have special software loaded on my laptop. But I also often use the laptop to download photos. Since the list was the top five things I would take, it must include a laptop. Before I get flamed for having to do work on vacation, my job would be the envy of most people - I am getting to travel to Alaska three times this year. I wouldn't trade my job for anyone else's, thank you :D .

John

1. Open Mind (there is no one right way to have a vacation)

2. Positive Attitude (I will enjoy this even if not everything is perfect!)

3. A good travelmate (assuming you are not solo)

4. Big Stomach (you need one to take all the food in)

5. Good Raingear (Because getting wet can ruin your positive attitude)

:)

I have seen many things already mentioned that I completely agree with so I will try to add a few items that I really found important that I haven't seen mentioned yet.

1) A good fleece pullover. I wore mine everywhere and in most cases it was all I needed.

2) A backpack. Used ours at every port to carry binoculars, cameras, small rain ponchos, etc.

3) A good pair of polarized sunglasses. Even when it is overcast there can be alot of glare on the water and I hate to squint!

4) An accordian folder. Used to carry and organize our cruise documents, printouts from internet on tours I'd booked, maps, brochures, etc. Was a nice place to keep Patters, brochures and fliers I picked up in ports and any other paper items I wanted to save for my scrapbook as well.

5) Dollar Bills. We used room service quite a bit and brought plenty of dollar bills to keep handy for tips.

Archived