Got the time?

danya83

I have been reading the "ports of call" boards and they all keep making mention to "ship time" being an hour ahead/behind "island time". I called RCCL to see what the "real deal" is and they said that ALL time is the same, there are no time differences or changes. I called 3 different times and got the same answer. But I am still nervous. We are on Mariner the 23 and I have started booking our private excursions. Anyone got any "time" advice? TIA

I have been reading the "ports of call" boards and they all keep making mention to "ship time" being an hour ahead/behind "island time". I called RCCL to see what the "real deal" is and they said that ALL time is the same, there are no time differences or changes. I called 3 different times and got the same answer. But I am still nervous. We are on Mariner the 23 and I have started booking our private excursions. Anyone got any "time" advice? TIA

You will stay on ships time for the whole cruise, if you are in port make sure you have a watch on with the ship's time. I am a little confused of what you are actually asking. Are you concerned if the ship's and island times are the same? If yes, google each port like "time grand cayman" or which ever you ports you are going and you will get the time that it is currently in Grand Cayman for example. Do this for each port. The ship's time will be eastern time. If all your google times are the same time for the current eastern time zone then you are not going to have any changes.

When we sailed out of Tampa on the Legend we were told to change our clocks when we went from Eastern time zone to Central..... the whole ship changed. First time I have ever done that. Did not do it on the Rhapsody when we went from Galveston to Key West (Central to Eastern).

Really messed us up too..... as the last day was Sea Day and we had a little too many foo foo drinks by the pool dancing raggae and slept thru the announcement to change our clocks back.... well we were an hour late to dinner. Didnt want to not go at all....had tips for waitstaff.

SO: DEPENDS ON THE SHIP YOU ARE ON.....SOMETIMES THE SHIP WILL STAY ON THE TIME IT HAD WHEN IT LEFT PORT..... SOMETIMES IT WILL CHANGE AND THEN CHANGE BACK.....GO FIGURE

but yes you will stay on ships time......whatever that may be :rolleyes:

You will stay on ships time for the whole cruise, if you are in port make sure you have a watch on with the ship's time. I am a little confused of what you are actually asking. Are you concerned if the ship's and island times are the same? If yes, google each port like "time grand cayman" or which ever you ports you are going and you will get the time that it is currently in Grand Cayman for example. Do this for each port. The ship's time will be eastern time. If all your google times are the same time for the current eastern time zone then you are not going to have any changes.

I just reread my original message and I want to make a clarification. The ship will start on Eastern time but could change, they will let you know if you do but no matter the time on the island you have to stay on ship's time. Check your ports and see if you will go through any time zones.

I know we stay on ships time, and I know we wont miss an excursion...I am more worried about missing the ship. I was more asking what time zones are the Islands in (Grand Cayman, Jamaica, and Cozumel) We have a two hour excursion booked on Grand Cayman that *could* be close on time if the ship is AHEAD of island time KWIM?

Set your watch to the ship time - we did the Western Caribbean and it didn't change, but it did change when we went to the Southern Caribbean.

As long as your watch is set to the ships time, go by that time when palnning on what time to get back on the ship.

The best advice was given to you - use the Cruise Compass info.

I know we stay on ships time, and I know we wont miss an excursion...I am more worried about missing the ship. I was more asking what time zones are the Islands in (Grand Cayman, Jamaica, and Cozumel) We have a two hour excursion booked on Grand Cayman that *could* be close on time if the ship is AHEAD of island time KWIM?

Grand Cayman is currently 1 hour behind EST but they don't do daylight savings time. So that is dependent on when you are going.

Jamaica is also 1 hour behind EST

Cozumel is one hour behind EST

DST (daylight savings time) Sunday, April 1, 2007 at 2:00 AM local standard time

DST ends on Sunday, October 28, 2007 at 2:00 AM local daylight time

[quote name=Sue L;

DST (daylight savings time) Sunday' date=' April 1, 2007 at 2:00 AM local standard time

DST ends on Sunday, October 28, 2007 at 2:00 AM local daylight time

They changed it this year so in the US it started March 11, 2007 and ends on November 4, 2007. Next year it starts on March 9 and ends on November 2, 2008.

http://webexhibits.org/daylightsaving/b.html

They changed it this year so in the US it started March 11, 2007 and ends on November 4, 2007. Next year it starts on March 9 and ends on November 2, 2008.

http://webexhibits.org/daylightsaving/b.html

I believe the islands are not a part of this -- from what I have read Oct 28th is their change time -- I have been checking Cozumel.

I am not surprised -- I called RCCL and was told that when the itinerary says docking at Cozumel at 10 am, it is 10 am ship time (that would be Eastern, and 9 am Island/central) but both the compass I found on cruisedailies posted by mamabean, and the dock master on Cozumel (insidecozumel.com) indicate that the ship arrives at 10 am Island/Central. I hear you about the difficulty of scheduling excursions -- have been struggling with that, too, and my vendor seems as confused as I am. Now complicate it all with the end of dls. Geesh!

Listen to Williesgrandma--just keep your timepiece set to whatever time it is on the ship. There are clocks at every staircase and elevator bank. That way, you won't have a chance of missing the ship due to "time confusion".

I AM SORRY TO DIFFER..... On my previous post I stated that the Legend of the Seas did indeed change their time by one hour when we sailed West from Tampa. When we sailed East from Cozumel we were to change back.....

BUT.... no one changed any of the public clocks on the ship....not one. Not the ones by the pool or anywhere else. So they told us to change our watches.....then change them back but they did not change any of them on the ship.

So....yes READ THE COMPASS..... OR BETTER YET - ask everytime you leave the ship to go into port.

Archived