irons on board

watercruise

I saw that there are no irons in the room..is there a fee to send your clothing to be ironed? thanks

Cruise Ships no longer permit Irons in Cabins..:( They are a fire hazard!

As LHT stated you can iron your clothes in the laundry room if necessary..However, if you pack your clothing in plastic cleaner bags they will wrinkle less..Suggest you purchase Downey Wrinkle remover spray..It works wonders.. We've been on 13 cruises & rarely have to press anything..Enjoy your cruise..Betty

i can pack a loaded suitcase even with linen and arrive with no wrinkles. there are volumes written about this somewhere. i place the most-likely-to-wrinkle item flat and layer a bunch of clothes on top, usually 3-4 items, ending with the item least likely to wrinkle on top. then i fold the whole thing together. with tee shirts or that type of item, i fold them and then roll them, placing them in the corners or empty spots in my suitcase. of course, this plan only works if you are not constantly in transit and have to access single items. packing for a cruise, where you would unpack and hang or put stuff on shelves or drawers, it is no-fail.

the laundry rooms on O are a nightmare because there is only one. we have given up and access what we think is the best laundry/dry cleaning service anywhere - and much cheaper than cleaners in FL.

• 1 month later...

I see the reference to the laundry room being on Deck 7. I don't see it marked on the Deck Plan. Can you give me an idea where on Deck 7 it is located? Near which cabin?

I also see the reference to the fact that it is not easy to use, owing to the fact that there is only 1. Any idea when it is more likely to be available - on Port days, I assume...any other tips?

I'm looking forward to my first sail and want to be as prepared as possible. Thank you so much.

Laundry is roughly opposite cabin 7076, forward of the aft elevator bank.

Although couple of posters have said the laundry is "hard to use" or somesuch, I've used it on both Nautica and Regatta, without a lot of problems.

Yes, sometimes a bit crowded - just be patient. Yes, often less crowded on port days.

Everybody's different, but we've never been fans of laundromats aboard ship. Given the overall cost of a cruise, the price for leaving your laundry in a bag for the steward to take care of is trivial--the equivalent of a couple drinks. In return you get to not worry about where the laundry is, when it will or won't be crowded, and whether or not the machines have broken down. Plus, you don't have to spend your vacation time doing something you hate to do at home (and possibly waiting in line to do it!).

There are lots of add-on costs for every cruise, and people deal with that fact in different ways. For us, not having to do chores while on vacation is high on the list of things we're willing to pay a few dollars for.

Rettiga,

I found the price list for laundry that someone had posted and I realized that what you are saying is exactly right. It will be a pleasure to have our little laundry bag handled by the staff, without worrying about spending the time and effort to fret about those details...

I'm enjoying this cruise already!

Everybody's different, but we've never been fans of laundromats aboard ship. Given the overall cost of a cruise, the price for leaving your laundry in a bag for the steward to take care of is trivial--the equivalent of a couple drinks. In return you get to not worry about where the laundry is, when it will or won't be crowded, and whether or not the machines have broken down. Plus, you don't have to spend your vacation time doing something you hate to do at home (and possibly waiting in line to do it!).

There are lots of add-on costs for every cruise, and people deal with that fact in different ways. For us, not having to do chores while on vacation is high on the list of things we're willing to pay a few dollars for.

Rettiga,

I found the price list for laundry that someone had posted and I realized that what you are saying is exactly right. It will be a pleasure to have our little laundry bag handled by the staff, without worrying about spending the time and effort to fret about those details...I'm enjoying this cruise already!

Oh, I wish you were right about it being equal to a couple of drinks, but I’ve figured it out & it’s not so for us..

It would cost between $150 & $200 to have our laundry done..I'd rather spend that on something else..Oceania doesn’t have a by the bag bulk rate as some other lines do..On HAL I can get a bag done for $15.00 & would never do my own..Not so on Oceania..We’ll be on the Regatta, with another couple for 26 days to the Amazon & will only pack for 13 days..Our van won’t hold luggage for four for 26 days..LOL..We can wear some of our Dinner clothes twice, but not our daytime clothes, especially in the hot climate..;)

Unfortunately, that means, I will have to our laundry half way through..Just to have Oceania do 13 shirts for DH, 13 blouses or tops for me, & under ware, socks, p.J’s for both it would come to over $130.00.. Also need to do shorts & slacks for both..This is the Oceania Laundry rate by the piece, which was posted in July by Wineart:

Laundry – Gentlemen – Sport Shirt $2.50, Dress Shirt $3.50, Handkerchief $1.00, Socks (pair) $1.00, Pajamas $3.50, Sweatshirt $2.50, Undershirt/T-shirt $1.50, Undershorts $1.50, Bermuda shorts $3.00, Sweater $3.50, Vest $2.50, Slacks/jeans $3.50, Jacket $4.50, Swimsuit $2.00

Laundry – Ladies – Blouse $3.50, Skirt $3.50, Slacks/jeans $3.50, Bra $2.00, Panties $1.50, Undershirt/T-shirt $1.50, Sweatshirt $2.50, Handkerchief $1.00, Dress $6.00, Pajamas $3.50, Bermuda shorts $3.00, Socks (pair) $1.00, Swimsuit $2.50, Sweater $3.50, Vest $2.50

Cheers...:) Betty

During my work years, I would spend considerable time living in motels and hotels. I developed the habit of washing my underwear and shirts in the sink and using the pull-out clothes line in the bathroom to dry things. Since Oceania has the pull-out clothes line in the shower, I have continued the practice on their cruises. (On the last cruise I actually used the washbasin to do a couple of pairs of slacks and shorts.)

Being on the water, the humidity is a bit high so things take a couple of days to dry. If the shirts are still a little damp, the ironing job goes a lot faster.

On sea days, you may have to wait a bit for the ironing board and iron since there are only two. But, the conversations in the laundry room have been some of the nicest I've ever experienced on board a cruise ship.

During my work years, I would spend considerable time living in motels and hotels. I developed the habit of washing my underwear and shirts in the sink and using the pull-out clothes line in the bathroom to dry things. Since Oceania has the pull-out clothes line in the shower, I have continued the practice on their cruises. (On the last cruise I actually used the washbasin to do a couple of pairs of slacks and shorts.)

Being on the water, the humidity is a bit high so things take a couple of days to dry. If the shirts are still a little damp, the ironing job goes a lot faster.

On sea days, you may have to wait a bit for the ironing board and iron since there are only two. But, the conversations in the laundry room have been some of the nicest I've ever experienced on board a cruise ship.

Yes, agree when I traveled on business for a couple of days or a week I did unmentionables in the sink..But no more! I would rather either send it out or do it myself in the laundry room..I hardly ever iron at home & don't want to start now..:( LOL .. We live on the water here in Fla., & know about the humidity..DH's & my travel clothes are mostly wash & wear...

The few evening/dinner clothes which have to be dry cleaned, will take to our special cleaners at home...Even though they are expensive I trust them..

Since we've been to the Caribbean so many times, will choose one or two Port days before & after the Amazon to hit the laundry room...Usually ships close their laundry rooms & laundry service, when they go up the Amazon, & expect Oceania will be the same..

Cheers..:) Betty

To get out wrinkles, consider buying a steamer. I think that there is no regulation banning steamers on cruise ships?

I think you will find that steamers are in the same category as irons - both create heat to perform their function and that is the safety concern!!

Oceania's regulations state that "irons and cooking equipment may not be used in your stateroom".

Does anyone have a tale to tell about taking a travel iron an aboard? I was planning to take one with me, we have two weeks in Italy before we even board our 26 night cruise, and I wear only natural fabrics due to an allergy to synthetics, so I spend a lot of time ironing. What will happen if I have a folding travel iron in my luggage, does anyone know from experience please?

It is a fire hazard and it is prohibited.

If they catch you with it they will undoubtedly ask you not to use it. Whether they will confiscate it until the end of the cruise I do not know. They well may, because all ship crews take regulations related to fire very seriously.

If they don't catch you, obviously you'll get away with it. You may well pop a breaker, because the power service to the utility outlet(s) in staterooms on most ships is not very high amperage.

I would urge you not to use an iron in your room. The rule is in place for the safety of all, and I believe it should be honored.

Does anyone have a tale to tell about taking a travel iron an aboard? I was planning to take one with me, we have two weeks in Italy before we even board our 26 night cruise, and I wear only natural fabrics due to an allergy to synthetics, so I spend a lot of time ironing. What will happen if I have a folding travel iron in my luggage, does anyone know from experience please?

I have taken a travelling iron on board as like you we had been travelling before our cruise. I left it in my suitcase whilst on board, didn't use it and nothing was said or done about it so you should be fine. That was on a HAL cruise.

I usually go to the laundry on the day we board whilst most are at dinner (on other lines we have always had late sitting) and have ironed our clothes then. Once they are ironed I feel I can relax and enjoy the cruise. On both the Pacific and Tahitian Princesses which are sister ships to Oceania's three, I have never had to wait for an iron in the laundry and they too only have the one area for washing and ironing.

Your cruise isn't far away now. You must be getting excited.

Jennie

Hey Aussie Gal

You get my point, I am not going to leave it behind because I need it in Italy, many of the hotels don't have irons in rooms. Anyone who has used a travel iron would know that if there is a full sized iron available you would never choose to use the travel iron! But it will be in my bag and I just wondered if they made you unpack and take it out, which would be a pain. Yes, we are off soon, Gods willing, and I am getting excited. How was your recent trip?

Rettiga, I am fully aware of all that thank you, I was actually seeking an answer to my question, I didn't really need a lecture, nor was I planning to do anything sneaky to be 'caught with'.

lahore,

We had great trip. It was hard work, so different from a cruise. We walked 100km in 6 days in Ireland on the Wicklow Way which was no picnic and we also worked the Cinque Terre trail. We enjoyed both Ireland and Italy. We used the trains in Italy which are not easy with luggage and after 5 weeks of living out of suitcases we are so looking forward to our cruise in April when we can unpack for 35 days!

We still enjoy the experience of a land trip though and I am planning another one for 2009.

Jennie

Archived