Vancouver Questions...

Pamster

I'm starting to investigate Vancouver for next summer.

What is the relationship of the airport to Vancouver to the Pier where NCL would leave?

We'll probably fly in the day before the cruise and spend the night - any recommendations for hotels? Probably downtown

Anyone have good experience with a limo services from the airport to downtown, and from downtown to the pier? What's the cost?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Hey Pam...your ship will probably leave from Canada Place. The Pan Pacific is right there...we really loved it and got a deal ~$150 US with the conversion...last year through travelzoo.

The nice thing about that rate was it was cancelable and 1/2 of the regular rate...it was also cheaper than anyting else even Hampton Inns.......The rate just popped up once and I grabbed it. There's a Marriott and I think a Renaissnace plus a Fairmont right there too.

We flew into Seattle and took the train up so I can't help with limos, but I think the airport is maybe a 30 minute ride or so.

happy planning!

We've used http://www.limojetgold.com/ several times (we live here) they're reliable and have flat rate airport and cruiseship terminal fares. As far as hotels go, if you're leaving from Canada Place the Pan Pacific is part of Canada Place its not cheap but a beautiful hotel. The airport is about an hour from downtown longer in rush hour.

Sorry megr I was trying to post while you were I kept getting errors. Thats a great rate for Pan Pacific, we've stayed there twice ourselves it was expensive but so worth it.

I'm starting to investigate Vancouver for next summer.

What is the relationship of the airport to Vancouver to the Pier where NCL would leave?

We'll probably fly in the day before the cruise and spend the night - any recommendations for hotels? Probably downtown

Anyone have good experience with a limo services from the airport to downtown, and from downtown to the pier? What's the cost?

The airport is about 25+ mins drive from downtown, depending on time of day, traffic and constructions zones (lots of construction these days heading to the 2010 Olympics).

The previously mentioned Limojet Gold is the official limo service for the Vancouver airport (YVR). They are available curbside when you leave the departures area. No need to reserve. They also have a cruise ship rate -- pier to/from YVR.

Any hotel in downtown will be convenient. It depends on your budget and preferences what hotel to recommend. If you give a few more specifics about what you're looking for, it would be easier to make recommendations.

Downtown Vancouver is very compact and places are easily walkable or only a short cab ride away.

_

Thanks for the tips. For one night we're probably wiling to go about 200-250. How about the Shearton Wall Centre or the Marriott Pinnacle?

Is the Pan Pacific an easy walk to the pier if you only have a couple of pieces of luggage that roll easily? Or would a cab be best?

Thanks,

I just checked with Pan Pacific's website http://www.panpacific.com/en/Vancouver/offers/alaska_cruise_package.html

and they have cruise packages with luggage transfers and a direct elevator to the terminal they're part of Canada Place (above it actually) so no need for a cab. Convenience is key for me so I think I'd stay there if we needed a room before a cruise.

Thanks for the tips. For one night we're probably wiling to go about 200-250. How about the Shearton Wall Centre or the Marriott Pinnacle?

Is the Pan Pacific an easy walk to the pier if you only have a couple of pieces of luggage that roll easily? Or would a cab be best?

Pan Pacific is part of Canada Place (the pier). The front desk can send your bags to the ship for loading if they are properly tagged with ship, cabin, etc. (this was still available as far as I know this season). You only have to take an elevator down to the cruise ship terminal. No cabs. This is the most convenient hotel for boarding at Canada Place.

You might also look into The Fairmont Waterfront (not to be confused with the Fairmont Vancouver). It's across the street from Canada Place.

The Marriott Pinnacle is a couple of blocks away and you could probably manage walking. The Sheraton Wall Centre is further away and you would definitely need a cab.

Yeah, that's why I grabbed that rate....just dumb luck! we wound up with a really big room, with a part harbor view-the first room they gave us was, i forget-noisy, a little smoky smelling, or TOO far from the elevator....

It is RIGHT there..(our ship left out of the other pier-no biggie) and i ran around like a little kid taking pix of all the different ships.....there is a little food court underneath the hotel...i did takeout from places under there so we didn't try the food. i may have pix of our room if you follow the link in my sig.

if you find something decent, even if it is a little high, book it and keep looking. rates in 2006 went up all the time-we needed rooms in SEA and Vancouver.....i got the pan pacific thing like 3 weeks ahead! wound up staying at the athletic club.hotel where my cousin works in SEA...even with her discount we still paid close to $150 with tax! (and she's a manager-Hmmmph, she has no pull!!!!! LOL!)

We also snagged a great rate at the Pan Pacific last month(thanks, Tenerife-Sharon!). We had booked at the Hampton, as they have a shuttle to the pier, but changed when we were able to get a better rate at the Pan Pacific. And yes, all we had to do with our luggage was let the bellman know what time we wanted it picked up (we did have to be in the room when they came for the luggage, since we weren't part of a Princess transfer package), and the next time we saw our luggage was at our cabin.

We used the Airporter shuttle bus from the airport to our hotel, which was $13 pp one way. The line for taxis was incredibly long, and there was a shuttle leaving as soon as we approached it, so we hopped on.

As already mentioned, just pick and book a hotel that offers same day cancellation, and you can continue to watch for special rates/packages.

Happy Planning!

Before you do anything, check with NCL to see if they leave out of Canada Place or Ballantyne (sp?) Pier - there is a difference. You would not want to stay at the Pan Pacifice if your ship is leaving from Ballantyne which is at least a mile away - you would certainly lose any convenience of being right at the pier.

Unless it is a repo cruise - NCL normally will use Canada Place as the Sun is based here for the summer Alaska cruise season and usually occupies the 2nd berth on the west side of Canada Place.

Hope this helps and you are right - there is nothing in the way of hotels near Ballantyne Pier

Cheers

Dennis

Archived