Teppanyaki

CanadianTwosome

We'll be on the Star in January, and the Teppanyaki restaurant sounds very appealing... if we can get in, of course. Does anyone know what's on their menu or how much things cost?

On the Pearl, the cover charge for Teppanyaki is $20 per person. I would assume the charge would be the same on the Star. Someone was kind enough to take a photo of the Teppanyaki menu from the Dawn. This should give you some idea of what to expect.

On the Pearl, the cover charge for Teppanyaki is $20 per person. I would assume the charge would be the same on the Star. Someone was kind enough to take a photo of the Teppanyaki menu from the Dawn. This should give you some idea of what to expect.

Can be a fun evening especially if you are seated with a good group.

Teppanyaki food has been good on every NCL cruise:)

On the Dawn last April, we felt it was well worth the extra $ -- the food was delicious -- and plentiful! Watching the chefs prepare the meal was great entertainment and I would highly recommend it.

P.S. We were able to make our reservation as soon as we got on board.

Enjoy!

TracyE

Not sure if it's true on all the ships, but when we were on the Pearl last month, they used a LOT of garlic butter in the preparation of the food. If you don't really like garlic, I would skip Teppanyaki. If we had known how much they use, we would have gone to one of the other restaurants. More than a small amount of garlic gives both of us serious indigestion.

The chef we had was not really that entertaining and we didn't think it was worth the surcharge.

First for anyone to say it is or isn't worth the service charge is giving thier opinion. We have eaten at several of these Habachi Tables on land thus I am not as impressed but my daughter thinks this the best part of freestyling cruising, that is why I say "opinion" There are several food entree choices with the veggies, salad and soup being the same. Entrees last time we were on NCL ranged from $13 to $20 depending on what you choose. AS someone did mention, the group at the table with you can make a difference in your enjoyment, it isn't just the quality of food.

Nita

I STILL don't understand why this restaurant is SO popular. You can eat at a Japanese steak house and have Teppanyaki on land for 20.00 pp.

That makes NO sense at all. Unless you don't live near any, I don't understand why this is booked so fast. Can somebody enlighten me? Am I missing something?

I don't understand why this is booked so fast. Can somebody enlighten me? Am I missing something?

I think it books up so quickly because they can only handle 96 people per night. When we were on the Pearl, they did 3 seatings each night and could only seat 32 people at each one. With 2000+ passengers on board, there is sure to be quite a few people interested in eating there - with some people, probably more than once.

I think it books up so quickly because they can only handle 96 people per night. When we were on the Pearl, they did 3 seatings each night and could only seat 32 people at each one. With 2000+ passengers on board, there is sure to be quite a few people interested in eating there - with some people, probably more than once.

To Add - Since the Dawn has 20 lifeboats capable of holding 3000 passengers, and assuming they limit the number of passengers to approximately 2800 or so.

Some math : 96 / 2800 = ~3.5%. This means 96.5% of the passengers can't possibly dine there.

To Add - Since the Dawn has 20 lifeboats capable of holding 3000 passengers, and assuming they limit the number of passengers to approximately 2800 or so.

Some math : 96 / 2800 = ~3.5%. This means 96.5% of the passengers can't possibly dine there.

the Sun can only seat 16 or 18. That means even fewer can experience this style of dining. Why so popular? Probably because it can be fun and entertaining as well.

Nita

We love the Teppanyaki dinning experience and usally do two nights. It just might be that our nearest Japanese restaurant is 3 hours away and a $20.00 extra charge is nothing compared to a 6 hour drive. We also dine at Cagney's a couple times during our cruise. It's vacation. :D Not everyone lives in or around big cities that have finer restaurants.

CanadainTwosome -see you on the Star will have dinner together at Teppanyaki restaurant!:)

Retiredonthesea

Thanks for the menu link, cpdad!

Thanks to everyone for your input. We really love teppanyaki dining. We love the food at our local establishment and have enjoyed it at every other teppan grill we've been at, so it's likely that we'll enjoy the NCL experience as well. I'm going to try to book on my birthday!

As for why people would pay $13 - $20 on the ship when they can get it on land... well, our local establishment costs a little over $20 pp for what we order, so it's comparable, and... well... we like it! It's our favorite restaurant, in fact. I always kind of think 'why ask why' in situations like this... We love the teppan experience and the food, so to us, it will be worth it - especially on my birthday. We even love garlic, so if they're heavy on it, that will be just fine!

We were once in the Tapanyaki on the Star, once on the Dawn. Both times we HATED the experience--the second was at someone's request.

It takes two chefs twice as long to cook food that's half as good as what we can get in New Jersey, 10 minutes from our house.

Saying it backwards: In our local hibachi restaurant, one chef cooks food twice as fast that's twice as good as Tapanyaki--for about the same price (actually less).

Understand this isn't a knock on either ship--we've been on the Star 3 times, the Dawn 5 times (and will do a weekender on her in October) and love both ships.

I STILL don't understand why this restaurant is SO popular. You can eat at a Japanese steak house and have Teppanyaki on land for 20.00 pp.

That makes NO sense at all. Unless you don't live near any, I don't understand why this is booked so fast. Can somebody enlighten me? Am I missing something?

For the same reason people spend upwards of $5/drink at Starbucks. Most of the McDonalds in Seattle have pretty good coffee that is nowhere near as expensive. Yet on some corners in downtown Seattle you can literally see 3 or 4 Starbucks and they all have lines out the door.

Thanks for the menu link, cpdad!

Thanks to everyone for your input. We really love teppanyaki dining. We love the food at our local establishment and have enjoyed it at every other teppan grill we've been at, so it's likely that we'll enjoy the NCL experience as well. I'm going to try to book on my birthday!

As for why people would pay $13 - $20 on the ship when they can get it on land... well, our local establishment costs a little over $20 pp for what we order, so it's comparable, and... well... we like it! It's our favorite restaurant, in fact. I always kind of think 'why ask why' in situations like this... We love the teppan experience and the food, so to us, it will be worth it - especially on my birthday. We even love garlic, so if they're heavy on it, that will be just fine!

It sounds like you will really enjoy Teppanyaki.

We don't do our local establishments on land so it is always a treat while on-board and a great way to mingle with other passengers.

Happy Birthday.

For the same reason people spend upwards of $5/drink at Starbucks. Most of the McDonalds in Seattle have pretty good coffee that is nowhere near as expensive. Yet on some corners in downtown Seattle you can literally see 3 or 4 Starbucks and they all have lines out the door.

That is so true! When we visit our DD in Seattle, we never go to Starbucks. There are so many great little locations where you can get a cup of coffee--you know, a plain cup of good coffee--for less than $2. Come to think of it, we never go to Starbucks at home either. We just don't think their coffee is "all that." We've got a Starbucks in one of the open shopping centers and an in-store Starbucks at the bookstore across the walkway. My DH says that soon we will see Starbucks inside Starbucks.

beachchick

My DH says that soon we will see Starbucks inside Starbucks.

beachchick

Too funny I like the scene in Shrek where the giant gingerbread man is walking through town and all the people in "Farbucks" get freaked out and run directly across the street into the other "Farbucks" Good laughs.

We've eaten in Teppanyaki twice (Dawn and Pearl) and loved it both times. Both meals were great (both the food and the "experience") and we loved watching the chefs doing their thing. We're lucky enough to live in an area where Teppanyaki/Hibachi style restaurants are numerous - yet we've never gone to one on land.

During our meal (and whenever we walked by Teppanyaki) the diners appeared to be really enjoying themselves (laughing, cheering, etc) and that happy/relaxed atmosphere was definitely felt by the chefs who were working.

We sailed NCL Star in February and loved this ship. Don't forget there is a movie theater onboard.

We enjoyed Ginza, which is the main restaurant that Teppanyaki is part of. We ordered off the menu and loved the steak terriyaki and tempura. Food was the best we've ever had on any cruiseline. We loved it. Ginza was $15pp, but on the last night of the cruise you could dine early with a 2 for 1 special for all the specialty restaurants.

Have a great cruise. We'll be sailing on NCL Pearl in November and plan on dining at the Asian restaurant on that ship too.

Archived