Room Service Tips

marc62

Hi All

Only 29 day's until our first ever cruise!

Could someone give advice in regards to rooms service please, we have booked a Junior Suite (Silver wedding) & intend to have breakfast / lunch on the balcony a couple of times, as well as drinks from time to time. How much should we tip for this?

I have already prdered $ in low dinominations.

It has also been suggested to give the regular steward $20 on first meeting as he / she will then go the "extra mile" - your views please.

Any words of advise will be grealy appreciated

Many thanks

Marc

I havent been in a suite, but in a regular cabin, we tipped $2 each time we were visited by room service.

I wouldn't tip your steward in advance -- I think that's subtly insulting, and he/she is going to take good care of you regardless. But do tip extra at the end if he/she goes above and beyond. JMHO :)

I agree with KC. The "up front" tip is not really necessary. The topic has been discussed before here and IMHO the majority of cruisers on this board do not tip early.

One of the most frequent comments is that some crew members do find it insulting that the passenger would think that they are not going to do their very best.

I believe that you will find that the crew takes a great deal of pride in their job.

As far as room service, for a simple delivery (we get coffee and danish every morning while getting ready for breakfast:eek: ) $2 seems to be normal.

We've never done a full meal in room. But, I would think $ 5 or more might be appropriate.

Charlie

We most of the time eat breakfast on our balcony- it is a great way to start the day. We usually tip $3. However, if there are a lot of plates (4 of us), depending on what we order, we might do $5.

I have never done the $20 on the first day, and we have never had bad service. Some were better than others, but I don't think it is a good idea.

Tip depending on how much you order. A pot of coffee and danish--$2.00 is fine. A full breakfast should be more (big tray!!!) maybe $4.00-$5.00.

Just know that even in a JS, there is no dining table, making a full meal rather difficult and messy! If the ship is underway, the balcony is pretty windy, so hold on to your napkins!

We usually just stop at a bar and carry our own drinks back to the room. I'd tip $2.00 for 2 drinks from room service.

I order a pot of coffee for a wake up call and tip $1. If you have a large order you can tip more. they seem happy to get a tip because they are always in a hurry and if you hesitate they are gone.

I think a bribe in advance is tacky:mad:

iti s not a BRIBE, it is a TIP, " to insure prompt service "

30% of the passengers stiff the staff

giving them a little upfront just lets them know that you are aware

they work for tips, you are going to tip more at the end, and that you may require a little extra attention.

hasn't anyone ever tipped a bartender well on the first drink, so he will remember you on the next one?

to me what is " tacky " is to put someone who works for tips in the same catagory as someone taking bribes. no matter when they are given or received. tsk. tsk. tsk.

to the poster.. go ahead and do what you are comfortable with, I guarrentee you, the room steward will not turn down your "bribe"

If we have any special requests the first day, larger ice bucket, remove all the soda from the fridge, extra pillows, anything else over and above the normal routine, I tip him/her $20 dollars and explain it's for all the special requests. That way they know it's not a bribe, just upfront extra for special service. That way they also know it won't affect the final tip.

Agree with the other posters, anywhere from $2 to $5 dollars for room service depending on how much was ordered.

If we have an over sized balcony we always request two loungers as soon as we meet the room steward. Haven't been denied yet. We always give an extra $10.00-$20.00 depending on the length of the cruise. We don't tip just for the sake of tipping. If we make a special request then we tip.

The problem with up front tipping is that you don't always have the same person bringing your room service. You might tip the first day and never see that person again, if it's your cabin steward that's different

John

One suggestion I have is to have your tip ready (on the dressing table/vanity) the night before. I always order coffee & danish on the breakfast order form that is hanging right inside your cabin on the wall. The delivery staff will be in a HURRY, that way I don't have to fumble around in the safe to get the $$'s out. When I'm actually 1/2 asleep.

So when I hang the request on the door, I get my tip out of the safe.

Have a great cruise.....

One suggestion I have is to have your tip ready (on the dressing table/vanity) the night before. I always order coffee & danish on the breakfast order form that is hanging right inside your cabin on the wall. The delivery staff will be in a HURRY, that way I don't have to fumble around in the safe to get the $$'s out. When I'm actually 1/2 asleep.

Have a great cruise.....

We do the same thing so the tip is right there to give them as they run in and out so fast there is no time to search for it:)

As to dining in the JS there is a nice coffee table in the living room area that is fine for 2 people to share while you eat, we've also used the desk and vanity chairs to place trays on out on the balcony so you can eat comfortably in a JS. One of the CC members I know bought a lightweight roll up camping table that weighs 9 pounds and fits in her luggage and she sets that up and it works wonderful she said for breakfast and lunch. I love the JS also so enjoy your cruise! :)

We tip anywhere from $1-5 for room service, depending on whether it is a meal or just coffee.

The only time we've ever given a cabin attendant extra cash upfront is when we ask for special service. I'm constantly reading here where people think they are getting extra service by tipping in advance, the list of service they write about is the standard service everyone enjoys.

Any beverage service that has a charge will also have an automatic gratuity, you can tip more if you wish, but it's not expected nor necessary.

We tip anywhere from $1-5 for room service, depending on whether it is a meal or just coffee.

The only time we've ever given a cabin attendant extra cash upfront is when we ask for special service. I'm constantly reading here where people think they are getting extra service by tipping in advance, the list of service they write about is the standard service everyone enjoys.

Any beverage service that has a charge will also have an automatic gratuity, you can tip more if you wish, but it's not expected nor necessary.

I beg to differ.

We were the people who would tip our cabin steward $20 the first day because we wanted extra towels, our ice bucket filled all the time, maybe an extra pillow or something like that. Those were the old days, not so now. We will tip extra at the end of the trip if we feel we got great service.

We have found that 1-most people have the same requests 2- the tip doesn't always get what we want. Especially the ice bucket.

The one time we gave our steward only a $10 was on Sovereign for a 4 day cruise. We asked for LOTS of ice. She not only filled out ice bucket but brought us a champagne bucket with ice. When she went off duty in the AM she brought us a refill and then as soon as she came on duty in the PM she brought us ice. I now compare all service to her.

As far as room service, if we just get coffee and juice, $2 is what we tip. If we get a full breakfast, it's usually $5. We don't do room service other times so I have no clue as to what we would tip. I know it would be at least $5.

Room service people EXPECT a tip, contrary to what some people say. I know they are in a hurry so we always have our money ready. I don't know if it's on RCCL or other cruises but I have read that room service doesn't include gratuities, so to me that tells me they expect a tip.

Enjoy your cruise.

We have started telling room service the first day we want iced tea every day at 1500(either a pitcher with 2 glasses and sweetener or 4 glasses if they don't do pitchers. some ships bring pitchers, some say they can't).

If we're not going to be in the cabin, we leave $2 on the table with a note that it is the room service tip. We generally have to remind them we have a standing order the 2nd day, but after that it works very well.

I beg to differ.

So, you think an additional gratuity is expected for every beverage served? You don't think 15% is adequate?

I think many people will think what I have stated is perfectly alright. If you want to tip additional over and above the already added 15%, go ahead, but please don't make others feel guilty about giving more.

Have a great cruise.....

We do likewise, makes thing a lot easier in the AM.

Archived