All things Monarch of the Seas

I booked for the Oct. 10 today. My TA told me she would book me for the 13th and when I called today she had already booked us for the 10th.

She's a great TA. Later. Robin :cool:

We *are* going to get to cruise together again! :)

LMAO, exactly how many DO we have going on that 10/10/08 sailing???
Count ME in! :D

I am going on the Monarch Jan 18th for a three night cruise. Can you eat in the dining room with nice clothes but no suit if there is a formal night. I don't even know if the three day has a formal night. hate to take so many clothes for three nights.

I am going on the Monarch Jan 18th for a three night cruise. Can you eat in the dining room with nice clothes but no suit if there is a formal night. I don't even know if the three day has a formal night. hate to take so many clothes for three nights.

There is a formal night on the Saturday night. It is more casual on 3-nighters, though, so as long as you are dressed nicely, I don't see that there would be a problem.

We are new to Monarch in 32 Days! We are excited, but have only cruised RCIs Mariner - twice - and she's a beauty! Congrats on the west Coast gaining her for 2009 - you'll LOVE her! We have also cruised Disney. We really don't know what to expect, but are sure everything will be great as far as the ship is concerned. What I need is info. about what to do in each port on the 4 day sailing. We are typically caribbean vacationers and are accustomed to warm water diving and snorkeling. So, we are at odds as to what to do in each port, especially Ensenada. And, snorkeling at Catalina Island with the kelp beds kind of freaks me out - something about not being able to see everything around you due to the kelp. We are flying in a day early and arriving around 11am, staying in SanPedro. Can anyone help or give advice??

We just returned from the four day cruise yesterday. We had a great time! In Catalina we went on the Undersea Tour in a semisubmersible boat. Almost like snorkeling but you don't get wet. We took the 9:30 tour and it was great, they stop and feed the fish several times and the fish just swarm around the windows. I have never seen so many Garibaldis (beautiful orange fish) in my life. It is very different from tropical waters, the fish are not as colorful, and snorkeling this time of year would be rather cold. After that we walked and shopped. I would recommend going to the shopping talk on the day you board to learn about recommended shops at all ports and raffles that they have in various shops at each port. There are some fun shops in Catalina. I have always wanted to go on an interior tour of the island, but have not as yet. I did read a good review of the Eco Rafting Tour.

I live near San Diego and can recommend just about any tour mentioned in the brochure, The Zoo and The Wild Animal Park are great. If you don't want to tour and just want to shop, there is a free shuttle to Hilo Hatties that meets the ship and will take you to the Gaslamp district where you can shop there or at Horton Plaza. If you like ships, the Maritime Museum and the USS Midway Museum are a short walking distance from the ship. Both are very worthwhile. The Midway is an excellent interactive experience aboard an Aircraft Carrier with many Navy jet aircraft and helicopters on display, some you can sit in the cockpit. Along with a beautiful view of San Diego Harbor. Anthony's has great seafood and Ruth's Cris Steakhouse is across the street from the terminal.

In Ensenada we took the Mexican Folkloric Fiesta and shopping tour, it was OK. La Bufadora is a good tour but beware of very aggressive vendors. We did get some good bargains on leather goods at the recommended stores. I would recommend just shopping for leather and Mexican handcrafts either on a tour or walk into town, the silver is nice, but again only buy at the recommended shops.

We had a great time and hope you enjoy the photo's. In addition, I hope they are of use to those who have not cruised on Monarch before. I will update the photo details when I have more time.

Here is the link:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hotsauc...7602536324819/

Happy Cruising,

Mike:)

Mike : we were there Oct 8 - wish we could have sailed with you - then we stayed on for another 3 days - it was cool doing that. WE are now on the Mariner's inaugural sailing for Feb 22 2009 - Carol

Hey All,

I'm Kat, and I am semi-new to cruising. I was hoping you guys could help me with a couple things.

First off, what do they do on birthdays? When I purchased our tickets I put that my boyfriend's birthday would be on the first Friday we're aboard. Should I mention it to the waiter also? Do they sing or offer a free glass of wine?

Also, I think I read that someone just takes the shuttle that is by the ship into town? How much is it? Does it run every half hour, or hour? Most importantly, I hear people talking about having lunch in Ensenada. Where do you usually go? I have a sensitive stomach, and I really don't want to eat the wrong taco...

Thanks in advance!

-Kat

Hey All,

I'm Kat, and I am semi-new to cruising. I was hoping you guys could help me with a couple things.

First off, what do they do on birthdays? When I purchased our tickets I put that my boyfriend's birthday would be on the first Friday we're aboard. Should I mention it to the waiter also? Do they sing or offer a free glass of wine?

Also, I think I read that someone just takes the shuttle that is by the ship into town? How much is it? Does it run every half hour, or hour? Most importantly, I hear people talking about having lunch in Ensenada. Where do you usually go? I have a sensitive stomach, and I really don't want to eat the wrong taco...

Thanks in advance!

-Kat

Welcome, Kat! For birthdays they will sing at the table if you tell the waiter. You can order in advance decorations for the cabin and a cake to be served at dinner one night (double check with your waiter to make sure they got the order).

We always walk into town, which takes about 15 minutes, so I don't know for sure about the shuttles, but they seem to leave the port as they fill up, and probably do the same on the return trip. We usually eat at El Pueblo, which is just around the corner from Papas and Beer, a favorite of the party hearty crowd. Some friends of ours introduced us to it and we found out later that it's recommended by the cruiselines, for whatever that's worth.

The repo cruise came open today!! Just got off the phone booking it. 16 nights LA-Miami. Lots of at-sea days.

I feel badly for the West Coast folks - we used to live in CA and went on the Monarch then often. I hope it ends up being replaced by another RCI ship. It will be nice, though, to once again have her an hour or so away now that we live in Florida.

For all you experienced Monarch cruisers, I have been on several cruises where early seating for dinner was at 6:00. My TA told me that early on Monarch is at 5:30. That seems a little early to me. Can anyone confirm?

Thanks

Patty

Yep, early dining is 5:30, and late is 8:00. 5:30 is WAY too early!!!

Archived