All things Monarch of the Seas

We happen to enjoy the 5:30 seating for the Monarch. Then we have time to enjoy the ship while all of the late diners are eating. Due to our familiarity with the itinerary, we usually get back onboard pretty early so it's not a problem to get ready.

For all you experienced Monarch cruisers, I have been on several cruises where early seating for dinner was at 6:00. My TA told me that early on Monarch is at 5:30. That seems a little early to me. Can anyone confirm?

Thanks

Patty

On our first 4 days two weeks ago, late seating was 8 pm... then during the next 3 days, it was 8:30 pm... give the gamblers a little bit more time? don't know. Carol

Thanks for all of the info about dining times. We have usually chosen early dinner in the past on cruises because we have had our kids with us. This will just be dh and myself so we may decide to go for the late seating so that we can relax a little at the end of the day, maybe find a nice spot to sit with a drink during sail away.

Is the extra charge restaurant Japanese? Would you say it is worth trying? We have enjoyed the experience of the speciality restaurants in the past, not sure about this one.

What about the shows? What times are they?

Thanks,

Patty

Thanks for all of the info about dining times. We have usually chosen early dinner in the past on cruises because we have had our kids with us. This will just be dh and myself so we may decide to go for the late seating so that we can relax a little at the end of the day, maybe find a nice spot to sit with a drink during sail away.

Is the extra charge restaurant Japanese? Would you say it is worth trying? We have enjoyed the experience of the speciality restaurants in the past, not sure about this one.

What about the shows? What times are they?

Thanks,

Patty

Jade Sushi (not to be confused with the Jade portion of the Windjammer) is inconsistent. Sometimes the sushi is pretty good (equivalent to a good supermarket's offerings but far short of a "real" sushi bar) and sometimes it can be, well, vile. Fortunately that's only happened to me once. I haven't had the other offerings there for 3 years, so I can't advise you on that. But the prices aren't bad - it's a normal menu where you pay for what you order, as opposed to a flat $20 fee. Two of you can eat there for $25.00 (not including beverages).

The Jade section of the Windjammer is a separate, often very quiet, section of the WJ that is all the way forward on Deck 11. No charge for the buffet offerings there. Jade Sushi is a separate space up on Deck 12, also all the way forward.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What time can you board the ship in San Pedro?

Any hint/tips about the ship itself?

What beverages are included with dinner?

Can yo still order anything off the dinner menu to your room?

Anyone have the menus for the 3 night cruise?

What is fun to do in Ensenada (non drinking)

What can you do for culteral stuff not via the ship?

Any good snorkaling/scuba ?

How dose the disembarkation work if you don't do express can you stay in your room till your ready to leave?

What would a taxi from Long Beach to San Pedro cost?

Are the taxies from LAX metered or do they have zone charges?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What time can you board the ship in San Pedro?

We usually board about 1:00, but people can board well before that, maybe 11:30 to noon. It all depends on when the prior cruise clears.

Any hint/tips about the ship itself?

Don't expect the same experience you get on a Voyager class or even Vision class ship. Monarch takes a beating from a party crowd on many weekends, but she has a great crew that provides wonderful service. The cabins are tiny by today's standards.

What beverages are included with dinner?

Water, coffee, hot and iced tea are complimentary. Everything else comes with a price tag. I'm not positive about juices, though.

Can yo still order anything off the dinner menu to your room?

I don't know.

Anyone have the menus for the 3 night cruise?

Probably; I don't. Formal night (2d) is the best menu IMHO with filet of beef my favorite entree offering. The warm chocolate cake on the first night is wonderful, too. Get it with a side of ice cream! The last night's menu sucks.

What is fun to do in Ensenada (non drinking)

We like to get a massage in town and then have lunch at El Pueblo, which is around the corner from Papas & Beer, where the heavy drinking party crowd goes. Some people like the ship's tour to the Fox Studios and others like to go to La Bufadora, a large blowhole attraction. I haven't been to either, so can't comment.

What can you do for culteral stuff not via the ship?

I'm not sure what you mean by cultural stuff...

Any good snorkaling/scuba ?

Don't know, but I would doubt it.

How dose the disembarkation work if you don't do express can you stay in your room till your ready to leave?

They ask you to vacate your cabin by 8:00 am and wait in one of the lounges until your color of tags is called. Bolero's is a good place - comfy chairs and not usually very crowded.

What would a taxi from Long Beach to San Pedro cost?

From the airport it's a flat rate of $36. From downtown I imagine it would be about $20.

Are the taxies from LAX metered or do they have zone charges?

They are metered. Should cost about $55 plus tip.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for the info on the Monarch. My two girlfriends and I are going on Nov 23rd. We are traveling with three little girls (4,4 & 6) They are very excied about the "kids club" as we have sailed with them before on other cruise lines. I have one week to go :D and I'm trying to get as much together about what is "must" do as possible. THis board answers a lot of my questions. I'l let you all know how we make out when we get back.

Very interesting reading the sequence of events. Probably very scary for the passengers.

There was one passenger on these boards that told the tale of this being her honeymoon cruise .... and they were put off the ship and into a nudist resort! :D

It was an entertaining read. I hoped it would resurface soon. Perhaps MM Carol can find it ;)

I will be taking my first cruise ever on MOS, and, although I didn't think I could be any more excited - after reading through this thread, I want to go now!!!! :D

Just a few questions....we have an inside cabin on deck 6 - should we have any concerns about noise, etc?? Heard the jogging track is directly above...

Also, I'm wheat sensitive, is that going to be a problem for dining? Is it something I should let the RCI know of in advance? Normally at restaurants I can find things to eat, or make special requests...just wondering if at formal dining times that may be an issue.

And thanks to everyone for all their insight on MOS!!! I am so glad I chose this as my first cruise (although sad to see it's going to be leaving :()

I will be taking my first cruise ever on MOS, and, although I didn't think I could be any more excited - after reading through this thread, I want to go now!!!! :D

Just a few questions....we have an inside cabin on deck 6 - should we have any concerns about noise, etc?? Heard the jogging track is directly above...

Also, I'm wheat sensitive, is that going to be a problem for dining? Is it something I should let the RCI know of in advance? Normally at restaurants I can find things to eat, or make special requests...just wondering if at formal dining times that may be an issue.

And thanks to everyone for all their insight on MOS!!! I am so glad I chose this as my first cruise (although sad to see it's going to be leaving :()

I would let them know. You never know what "fillers" they use to thicken sauces/gravies, etc.

It would be a real downer to get sick on your cruise.

Enjoy!!

Debbi

Archived