Princess-Quit Wine-ing

Sailor Gal

I've read countless postings complaining about whether or not Princess will let you bring "spirits" on board. I would suggest that those who are concerned notate this on their comment cards when they sail. I for one chose Princess over Royal C. because of their relaxed stance with bringing wine onboard. Drinking wine on my balcony (good wine/wine from my favorite winery) is a big part of my down time on vacation. Seriously- denying me my wine would definitely impact my decision to sail with Princess again. Make your voices heard - put it on your comment cards!!!!!

NOTHING has changed with Princess policy about bringing wine onboard, its been consistantly the same now for YEARS. This thread ranks up there with "Princess coffee" "Hotels in Ft. Lauderdale" and "Formal Nights" I continue to remain absolutely astonished at about ohhhh 60-70% of the posts on these boards, poor moderators you folks GENUINELY have my sympathy. Im cruising next month and taking a minimum 6 bottles(half case) of excellent wine, getting it onboard is the VERY LEAST of my concerns. I also plan on picking up a few bottles in port its a non-issue. Save the comment cards for a ligitimate complaint, and save these message boards for ligitimate concerns, issues and questions, fascinating.

Just a guess, but I think the OP is upset about some of Princess new printed restrictions are saying you are now limited for the amount of wine you can bring onboard compared to the old, 'bring as much as you can carry' rule. Just a guess!

The OP started out with "spirits" then ended with bringing on wine which in Princess's eyes are not the same. Most complaints here appear to be about liquor which is no-no on every line I know of - they want the bar sales. The Princess Cruise Answer Book does state only one bottle per person yet many state they bring a case or at least several bottles. Any problems recently bringing on say 6 bottles total?

Doug

The OP started out with "spirits" then ended with bringing on wine which in Princess's eyes are not the same. Most complaints here appear to be about liquor which is no-no on every line I know of - they want the bar sales. The Princess Cruise Answer Book does state only one bottle per person yet many state they bring a case or at least several bottles. Any problems recently bringing on say 6 bottles total?

Doug

The simple reason I posted 6 bottles is because at Wines and More in FFL for a meazley $1 you can buy a box and they box up it up for you. You carry it just like a briefcase so to speak as opposed to what MANY of us have done in the past cram as many bottles in our carry-on as possible. Thats not only heavy but somewhat uncomfortable as well. The 6 bottle box is thee only way to go, or, OR if your someone who drinks wine from a box that box thing for a cruiseship application is an excellent idea as well. As far as "spirits" are concerned I have no interest in ruining my vacation by taking a fifth of anything and spending a day or two hungover and trashed in my statesroom, those days are LONG gone. But this "Bringing Wine on Board" thread needs to cease, we all know better than that though.

Please remember that it is not the Cruise Answer Book that is the final word. Read the passage contract - either in the now-controverial pre-cruise package that Princess sends out (I still vote in favor of it) of find it at the Princess website on line. While it clearly says that you cannot bring hard liqour on board, it does permit wine and champagne with no limit shown!

I now always just have a hard copy of the contract with me in case there is a question raised, but to date have not had a problem even with a carryon almost filled with wine. (Well, it was a long trip in a cold climate and there were 4 of us!)

Please remember that it is not the Cruise Answer Book that is the final word. Read the passage contract - either in the now-controverial pre-cruise package that Princess sends out (I still vote in favor of it) of find it at the Princess website on line. While it clearly says that you cannot bring hard liqour on board, it does permit wine and champagne with no limit shown!

I now always just have a hard copy of the contract with me in case there is a question raised, but to date have not had a problem even with a carryon almost filled with wine. (Well, it was a long trip in a cold climate and there were 4 of us!)

Your far more eloquent than myself, thanks for the great post. Although I tend to disagree with you on the pre-cruise package that I received in the mail a couple weeks ago!!! It's just that I already have so many travel doc's and e-tickets that the pre-cruise package just add's so much more, if that makes any sense. As it stands now my carry-on is going to be loaded with paper work, Im going to try and streamline as many travel doc's as I can, its just too much.

• 1 month later...

We're going on the Coral Princess very shortly, and while we're not "winos" we do like to have a small whisky on our balcony before dinner. We're coming from UK, and could buy some duty-free and bring it on board either in our cases (which seems to be the safest) or in a carry-on? What are the chances of Princess spotting and confiscating that? Is it worth the risk?

Joy R

The worst that will happen if you get caught is that they will take it away and give it back to you the final night onboard. If this happens, you can just have a huge party in your cabin the final night and invite all your friends that would like to have a drink. :)

But.............if you place it in your checked bags, the chances that they confiscated will be much less. Just remember, they are very rough with the bags, so there are chances of it getting broken if you try to just 'stick it in your luggage' without proper precautions and padding. If it gets broken, it can ruin all of your clothing along with anyone elses whose bags are under yours. :(

I saw a few times in some postings that there is a $10 cork charge for bringing on champagne or wine. The princess website says you can bring on but nothing about a charge. I also saw someone list the on-board wine prices and they are VERY expensive. My favorite wine is 4 euros a bottle and my husband's favorite wine is 6 euros a bottle... because in Europe you can get eiswein cheaper than a stinking zinfandel on-board...

You can take your own alcohol to a resort or hotel & you should be able to on a boat, regardless of if they want to make money.... especially because they won't let you stay off of the boat for even a night during a cruise so you can make the most of your trip... that's another scam.

I saw a few times in some postings that there is a $10 cork charge for bringing on champagne or wine. The princess website says you can bring on but nothing about a charge. I also saw someone list the on-board wine prices and they are VERY expensive. My favorite wine is 4 euros a bottle and my husband's favorite wine is 6 euros a bottle... because in Europe you can get eiswein cheaper than a stinking zinfandel on-board...

You can take your own alcohol to a resort or hotel & you should be able to on a boat, regardless of if they want to make money.... especially because they won't let you stay off of the boat for even a night during a cruise so you can make the most of your trip... that's another scam.

actually, it is a $15 corkage charge....but only if you have it in one of the dining rooms...no corkage if you drink it in your cabin. Sometimes your waiter will charge you, and sometimes not.

.... especially because they won't let you stay off of the boat for even a night during a cruise so you can make the most of your trip... that's another scam.
That is not always correct. There are cruises where you are allowed to be gone overnight.

• 1 month later...

I was told by princess that for the Holy Land tour stop in Egypt that we could not stay off of the boat. Someone on our cruise just posted that they did stay off the boat, you just need to ask someone else.

We stayed at a great inclusive resort in Portugal last year for about a week, for about 1/6 of this cruise cost & that was because of getting ripped off because my husband booked it - when I should have done it. I think that the costs, fees, etc are getting to be too much. I mean a corkage fee?!? I won't even drink the wines on that boat. I can buy Valpollicella for about 5 euros instead of the ridiculous boat's selection. I spend enough money on a daily basis living in Europe.... I'm starting to wonder about cruises, this may be my first & my last.

I've read countless postings complaining about whether or not Princess will let you bring "spirits" on board. I would suggest that those who are concerned notate this on their comment cards when they sail. I for one chose Princess over Royal C. because of their relaxed stance with bringing wine onboard. Drinking wine on my balcony (good wine/wine from my favorite winery) is a big part of my down time on vacation. Seriously- denying me my wine would definitely impact my decision to sail with Princess again. Make your voices heard - put it on your comment cards!!!!!

I think many of us share your view on this, the problem, I am guessing, within a few years all lines will follow RCI and NCL by cutting back on what they allow us to bring on board. One thing Princess has done which I don't like, they no longer have a bar set up. Other lines allow you to order bottles for your cabin. Yes, Princess has a bon voyage gift of a .375 bottle of whatever; anyone want to guess how many drinks that size bottle holds?

Nita

NOTHING has changed with Princess policy about bringing wine onboard, its been consistantly the same now for YEARS. This thread ranks up there with "Princess coffee" "Hotels in Ft. Lauderdale" and "Formal Nights" I continue to remain absolutely astonished at about ohhhh 60-70% of the posts on these boards, poor moderators you folks GENUINELY have my sympathy. Im cruising next month and taking a minimum 6 bottles(half case) of excellent wine, getting it onboard is the VERY LEAST of my concerns. I also plan on picking up a few bottles in port its a non-issue. Save the comment cards for a ligitimate complaint, and save these message boards for ligitimate concerns, issues and questions, fascinating.

Princess policy has changed to allow one bottle per person upon boarding the ship...long gone are the days when the policy allowed for 6 bottles.

We sailed out of New York a few months back and were actually checked --- not only for number of bottles but for content. These bottles were wrapped in a wine carrier and we were asked to remove the wrapping and reminded that only wine is allowed and ONLY 1 bottle per person and ONLY at embarkation. I wasn't particularly upset as this was known in advance, just never seen it enforced so strictly. Seeing NY required a plane ride, we really didn't want to carry anything in our luggage with us so picked up two special bottles in Manhattan the morning of the cruise. Good thing we hadn't splurged on a half a case, they were going to keep it at the port for us until we returned --- and there was no bargaining out of that rule!! Never had an issue made of it before in some 20+ cruises...so was surprised to see this type of enforcement. It was not a summer break and we certainly don't look like kids (50'ish). Don't know why all the strict interrogation....but the policy was definitely reinforced on this one cruise.

My question about 6 bottles was because we're on a 15 day Hawaiian cruise from LA next month and 6 bottles sounds reasonable to me for that long a voyage. Just wondering if anyone had a problem bringing that amount onboard.

Doug

Six bottles for a 15 day cruise???? Hey, that's a twelve bottle bottle cruise if I've ever seen one!

Princess policy has changed to allow one bottle per person upon boarding the ship...long gone are the days when the policy allowed for 6 bottles.

We sailed out of New York a few months back and were actually checked --- not only for number of bottles but for content. These bottles were wrapped in a wine carrier and we were asked to remove the wrapping and reminded that only wine is allowed and ONLY 1 bottle per person and ONLY at embarkation. I wasn't particularly upset as this was known in advance, just never seen it enforced so strictly. Seeing NY required a plane ride, we really didn't want to carry anything in our luggage with us so picked up two special bottles in Manhattan the morning of the cruise. Good thing we hadn't splurged on a half a case, they were going to keep it at the port for us until we returned --- and there was no bargaining out of that rule!! Never had an issue made of it before in some 20+ cruises...so was surprised to see this type of enforcement. It was not a summer break and we certainly don't look like kids (50'ish). Don't know why all the strict interrogation....but the policy was definitely reinforced on this one cruise.

Princess, like the other cruiselines, enforce different guidelines/rules with varying degrees of consistency. With regard to bringing wine on board a Princess ship, the only way to know for sure whether the six bottles one wants to carry on will get through, without confiscation of some, is to try it.

In my experience, your cruise account must be paid in full before you embark and again before you disembark. Otherwise, it's might be up for grabs. :)

Del

We just returned yesterday off the Crown (New Year's), and we brought on four bottles of champagne, and three bottles of wine. One of the ship's employees stopped us on the way in, but when we told him it was wine he said, "fine". He didn't even look in our bags, so I wouldn't be surprised if you could take in the hard stuff, too. It was NO BIG DEAL. No worries, mate!!

Archived