Has anyone used the Transderm Scop patch?

vesw01

I am thinking of asking my doctor to write me a perscription for one, just in case. Any suggestions? Any other ideas - I know there is a bracelet you can buy but it is over $60.

I used one for a couple of days. Noticed no side affects (is is affects or effects???). But everyone is different. I figure if I'm going to spend that much money, I'm taking all the tools I can to prevent me from getting sick.

Since then, I've only used a Bonine or two.

the first time my daughter cruised we were two days out and she got queasy and put one on. Within 15 minutes she felt better and use one for the rest of the cruise. She was fine. The next time she put the patch on when we first came aboard the ship and had no problems the entire time.

They work very well I use them every cruise. Just change it every 3 days.I use my ins. card and the cost is about 22.00 for I think 3 or 4 patches. I put them on about an hour before I board ship. And have no problems...

Irritating ad, yes. Do they work, yes.

Ves, I used the patch on my first few cruises. (I cut them in half, doc's orders, because I'm not a large person.) I put on a new half every three days. No probs, and I've always had motion sickness.

However, for the past few cruises, I've bought Bonine and taken it with me, but have never had to use it. Go figure.

Since SO many folks have had success with Bonine (taking it just before boarding and then every morning during the cruise), you might want to consider that, as the patch Rx is NOT cheap!

Irritating ad, yes. Do they work, yes.

Ves, I used the patch on my first few cruises. (I cut them in half, doc's orders, because I'm not a large person.) I put on a new half every three days. No probs, and I've always had motion sickness.

However, for the past few cruises, I've bought Bonine and taken it with me, but have never had to use it. Go figure.

Since SO many folks have had success with Bonine (taking it just before boarding and then every morning during the cruise), you might want to consider that, as the patch Rx is NOT cheap!

I had the patch on my 2003 cruise and it worked well, but I had heard such good things about the Bonine so I used it for my 2004 cruise. I took along the patches in 04, but never needed them. I will do the same again for my next cruise.

DH used the patch in 03 with no problems. He used the patch in 04, but had blurry vision that cleared up not long after he took the patch off (no, he did not get the medication on his hands or in his eyes as I applied it for him). He took the Bonine the rest of the cruise with no problems. He will probably be on the Bonine for the next cruise.

I love the patch. I'm very prone to any kind of motion sickness so I put on a patch the night before we sail and change it every 3 days until we return. I've never had any kind of side effects except thirst. I know they recommend not drinking while using scopolamine but I've never had any problem with that either. I feel totally normal except I don't get seasick. I just won't take a chance with any other type of medication now that I've found something that works 100% of the time for me. I've been using it for about 5 years and never had any problems.

We got them for my daughter and I, the doctor told her to put one on two days before, to make sure she had it in her system. As soon as she put it on, she started burning, it did gradually go away. The next morning, she was so sick she nearly fell in the shower, and the doctor said to take it off immediately. She was lightheaded and had trouble seeing at work all day, even with her glasses. I had a queasy feeling from mine, so I took mine off as well. We neither one had any trouble on that cruise, and I am always battling motion sickness, can't read in the car or on a plane, no roller coasters, etc.

Judy

I have used Transderm Scop on about a dozen cruises and have had no problems (or side effects) at all, including one evening when rough seas limited attendance at a midnight buffet to fewer than 20 passengers. My wife, however, got double vision when she tried them. As information, I ordered several last year from a Canadian pharmacy at a very reasonable price. No prescription is required to purchase them in Canada.

This patch must work because my husband told me he would never go on a cruise because he gets seasick (I couldn't even get him on a ferry)...then he met a friend whose wife runs a travel agency...and we went on a cruise...and he used the patch. Even though we had really bad weather on one day and the ship was rocking he managed to make it through and he swears by the patch!!! One of our fellow cruisers was sick on the second to last night of our cruise in February and my hubby brought him the patch. He said that within minutes he was feeling fine...earlier he thought he might die...

vermonter16

I tried the patch on two different cruises and both time it made my vision painful and blurry and my stomach queasy within an hour. The first cruise I left it on for three days and was miserable. As soon as I took it off I felt fine. I have found chewable Bonine, or its generic, to work very well, and cheaply.

It made my vision blurry. Like another poster, my doctor suggested cutting them in half. My vision wasn't blurry, but I still got a little motion sickness.

I use Bonine now and haven't had any problems with it. I take one before I leave home and that helps with the ascent on the airplane, and I take one every morning while on the cruise. I'll take another one before excursions if I know I'll be on a tender or small boat.

I swear by the Patch - yes, makes my vision a little blurry - (I wish I would have cut one in half - never heard of that before) but let's see, blurry vision, or nausea ? No brainer for me!

I missed my Lobster Formal night (used Dramamine and was so sick!) on my First cruise and that was the last time !

Ever since I've used the patch and it was great!!

I have used Transderm Scop on about a dozen cruises and have had no problems (or side effects) at all, including one evening when rough seas limited attendance at a midnight buffet to fewer than 20 passengers. My wife, however, got double vision when she tried them. As information, I ordered several last year from a Canadian pharmacy at a very reasonable price. No prescription is required to purchase them in Canada.

How can I fine the web page to purchase the patches

I swear by the Patch - yes, makes my vision a little blurry - (I wish I would have cut one in half - never heard of that before) but let's see, blurry vision, or nausea ? No brainer for me!

I missed my Lobster Formal night (used Dramamine and was so sick!) on my First cruise and that was the last time !

Ever since I've used the patch and it was great!!

The Transderm Scop patch is not everybody......please do read all the information listed by the manufacturer, you might save yourself a lot of problems. We are not all the same and some of us have problems that others do not and the drug will help or hurt depending on your condition.

Do not even think about cutting the patch, you will disturb the delivery system and you might get so much scopolamine in your system at once that will make you very sick. If you are a small person, your body will get proportionally a lot more 'drug' than someone who is twice your size and the reactions and symptons might be different, the only way that I can think of 'controling this' would be to put a piece of plastic under portion of the patch, so not the whole patch is making direct contact with your skin and not as much of the drug will be absord.

I copied just a small portion of the application of the drug and not cutting it and I will paste that below, but I very strongely recommend spent the few minutes and read what the manufacturer has printed.

DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION

Initiation of Therapy: To prevent the nausea and vomiting associated with motion sickness, one Transderm Scop® patch (programmed to deliver approximately 1.0 mg of scopolamine over 3 days) should be applied to the hairless area behind one ear at least 4 hours before the antiemetic effect is required. To prevent post operative nausea and vomiting, the patch should be applied the evening before scheduled surgery. To minimize exposure of the newborn baby to the drug, apply the patch one hour prior to cesarean section. Only one patch should be worn at any time. Do not cut the patch.

I do not normally participate on Carnival board but I saw this post and I believe it is important for all of us to know what the patch consists of and how it can help or hurt you, if you intend to use it.

Wes

The Transderm Scop patch is not everybody......

I suffer from motion sickness and can't deal with small boats. I feel why the patch "works" so well for most people is in truth they wouldn't get sick on the larger ship anyway.

I used the patch on my first cruise and it worked, I did great. After I got home and took it off, I got so sick I was crawling on the floor to get to the bathroom. Rereading the box you aren't, at least at that time suppose to wear them for that lenght of time.

The second cruise I didn't wear the patch and was just fine almost the whole time. I believe if most people didn't wear the patches they would still be just find. Of course for some it's a mental thing and as long as the think it works it does.

If they work for you go for it. For me I'll take the money and get an extra foo foo drink.

Hello PINEVIEW01,

You must have misunderstood. I am not recommending the patch or recommending it. The discussion is how well they do or do not work and many people are happy with them and some got big problems.

The whole idea of my post is for the potential users of this product to read first if they are having problems that the patch could make them more sick than sea sickness - there is a lot of information listed by the manufacturer.

No one can blame the doctor, the patch or whatever else if a problem develops and they could have avoided it just by reading what the patch can or can not do.

And as far as getting motion sick......it is real and about 28 percent of people have tendecy to get sick (women twice as much as men, and people who get migrane headache even more) and it can be pretty bad. Lucky are the ones that never had to suffer and have their vacation ruined because of sea sickness.

Scopolamine is very powerful drug and if any one is interested I can provide a link to what it does to some people in Latin America when it is used for the wrong purpose.

Wes

Archived