SD I October 20-27, Italy, review

Jim Avery

Thought I might as well start this as I am going to try to be good like FT and others and post from on board. Might turn out like the gym, always intend to use it but somehow never find the time. Imagine that, not fitting in all you want to do on a ship without a rock climbing wall. We are very excited to be going on our first Med cruise and on SeaDream to boot. Will at least take notes at the Top of the Yacht.

All the best,

Jim & Lois.

I think this is a first Jim ... a pre-cruise report (now where is that thumbs up smilie?)!

Looking forward to hearing about this cruise (actually I love to hear about all SD cruises). I have DH talked into the Med for '09 on SD so I am now in my fact-finding mode!

When do you leave for Europe?

Yes Jim Unfortunately Rome has changed alot. Our first trip was 1987 and we loved it. The most recent trip was two years ago and the area around the Piazza Novona was appalling. Vendors all over the place. Sheets laid down on sidewalks selling knock off bags etc. It was so bad you could hardly appreciate the fountains.

We found a lot of graffeti every where. The biggest changest were in the number of people using motor scooters. Every where you went they were buzzing past you at top sppeeds. Through narrow alleys across squares and sometimes down the sidewalks. You have to be on high alert so you dont get hit.

My heart breaks for this beautiful city (both sets of grandparents from here). They really need to crack down on the vendors and scooters.

Hopefully it wont be as bad for you. We were there in early July and I said never again.

Rome (or anywhere in the Med) in July is wrong, but Rome can never loose its charm.

Hope you are lucky with the weather now, as the Top of the Yacht can't be too charming while you are sitting with a blanket around you. A bit of summer rain is different from the rain in end Oct....

Sounds as if Rome is just like everywhere else-too many people. Crowds should be less this time of year and then SeaDream. Have been assigned cabin 203. Very convenient for waddling home after dinner. Was hoping for the elusive 315 upgrade fairy. Maybe next time.

Jim.

Jim,

Would you be so kind as to report on the weather? I'm especially interested in knowing how chilly it is on the water. Translated: am I going to be able to enjoy bubbly at the TOYB without shivering? :D

Many thanks!

Hi Cammie:

That has been on our mind too since we have never done SD in the Med before. Will they have breakfast on deck if it is chilly? Dont fancy cold eggs bennie. Weather.com shows a pretty good 10 day forecast of highs in the 60s and even low 70s with few showers. On the water it should feel cooler. Will let you know. Starting to pack. Ready to go!!

Jim.

Jim, We are doing the 2 day in Rome before our SD cruise in May. Are you planning a tour in Rome? We are looking into private tours. Was wondering if anyone has experience with that, and is it worth the extra bucks not to wait in lines and have the private tour? We only have a day and a half actually. Looking forward to your report. Have a wonderful time.:)

Hi Jane:

We are doing about the same time pre cruise in Rome. We have hired a 6 passenger van and driver/guide as we are travelling with an 80 year old and a 90 year old. Both active and healthy but not too much on extended walking. We have the driver picking us up at the airport for hotel delivery and then the next morning pickup for a Rome tour, lunch, and finally delivery to the ship in Civitivecchia. Have a different van booked for Livorno/Florence. Will let you know how it goes. They gave quotes in Euros for a fixed price.

Jim.

Jim, We are doing the 2 day in Rome before our SD cruise in May. Are you planning a tour in Rome? We are looking into private tours. Was wondering if anyone has experience with that, and is it worth the extra bucks not to wait in lines and have the private tour? We only have a day and a half actually. Looking forward to your report. Have a wonderful time.:)

Hi Jane,

We have a few days in Rome prior to embarkation. I have booked a few private/small group tours with Context Rome. I've read good things about them and anticipate great results.

Thanks to all for the good wishes. DJ, I think she is done at Chicos. Not home yet today. All the careful piles might get rearranged tonight. I bought a new pair of flip flops for around the pool. My carry on has an extra zip lock bag of girlie stuff. Hope they dont open it. Does your Chicos send out a valet parker???

All the best,

Jim & Lois.

Thanks to all for the good wishes. DJ, I think she is done at Chicos. Not home yet today. All the careful piles might get rearranged tonight. I bought a new pair of flip flops for around the pool. My carry on has an extra zip lock bag of girlie stuff. Hope they dont open it. Does your Chicos send out a valet parker???

All the best,

Jim & Lois.

"My" Chico's doesn't have a valet parker ... although I do get personal phone calls from "my" salesperson who puts aside items she knows I will just love:p I bet Lois gets those secret sale notifications as well:D

Sounds like you are right on schedule.

If I don't get a chance ....

BON VOYAGE JIM AND LOIS!!!!

Good Morning from Portovenere Italy. After 2 perfectly glorious days in Rome (75 degrees and sunny) we boarded SD I at Civitivecchia in a cold front. 40 knots wind and temps dropping to low 50s. As SD captains are prone to do, Capt. Berg changed the itinerary and swapped Corsica for Elba. By hugging the coast, we had a very nice nights sleep. The Piano Bar is the new Top of the Yacht bar till weather warms. Meals are in the dining salon (not a shabby place) and food is as usual, very good. So far, no working out but I did get to the computer. Funny thing, the computer on the starboard side of the library has "Frequent Traveler was here" scratched into the screen. Are tendering in in a bit and this afternoon the Cinque Terre boat trip. More later but so far, the ship and crew are in great shape. Its 1030 local time so there must be a bloody mary somewhere.

Ciao.

Jim.

Hope that the weather is warming up and that you have found a Bloody Mary Jim!

Sounds like all is well aboard SD 1:D

Thanks for reporting in. Looking forward to your report on Cinque Terre and the rest of your day!

Ciao!

Good to hear from you, Jim. Thanks for the report. Sorry to hear that the weather isn't the greatest. Here's hoping for quick improvement and that the rest of your week on board is excellent.

Please keep the reports coming as you have time. I'm suffering from withdrawals now that I'm not getting daily SD1 reports from my wife who sadly (for her) disembarked in Piraeus a week and a half ago.

Enjoy the rest of your trip. If you're back on schedule, it looks like Portofino tomorrow. Hope you enjoy your visit there. It's a wonderful spot. Be sure to visit the Splendido Hotel if you have a chance.

Are breakfast and lunch also held in the dining room? We are boarding on Nov 3 and I have been wondering if I need to bring really warm clothes for those meals outside.

Thanks

Breakfast and lunch will be outside if the weather permits. If too cold, those meals will be in the dining room.

Hi All:

Finally got the CC site to load. Kept getting the dreaded white page. We are presently entering Livorno. Schedule was for Viareggio but sea conditions are not good. Capt. Berg has made it a very smooth ride though. Have had much more motion in the Carib. Cinque Terre (5 lands) was a do not miss! 5 very small and very vertical villages along an impossibly craggy coastline. Our small boats were for 8 persons and were reminiscent of Venice water taxis but not so shiny. The weather was brisk and windy which turned out perfectly for our climbing and walking parts of the afternoon. Had the world's best Irish Coffee at one stop. More detail later. Yesterday was Portofino and the Gods granted us a perfect day. Absolutely calm and painfully blue anchorage with perfect sunny blue skies and temperatures in the 70s. Portofino is one of those rare places that was exactly as I anticipated. Hiked the picturesque path to Hotel Splendido and admired the spectacular views. Also admired the Lamborghini, Bentley, et al parked out front. Decided to skip lunch there as the help had on more expensive clothes than us. Another perfect day on SeaDream. Today is cold and rainy. Back to the real world. We will be at dock in Livorno for 2 days. Better than a rolly anchorage. Tomorrow we have a van at 8:00 for a day in Florence with a stop in Pisa on the return. Hoping for a bit better weather. Lois & her Mom are hoping for shops to be open. The Euro/Dollar mess is making us feel a bit poor.

More later..

Jim.

Archived