Abolish All Formal Nights - all in favor speak up!

BrianTom

Thought you were going to beddy bye!

To dream the dreams that can never come to fruition!

I just came back from the Windjammer, took off the monkey suit and logged on to this slow, slow internet they have on board and decided to see if anyone here saw the light.

I don't like dressing up either,i go on vacation to be comfortable and relax,so on formal night on my first upcoming cruise i will most likely be in the windjammer,buffet etc. If people want to walk around in a tux when it's 85 degrees out it's their perogative,it has always been a part of cruising as far back as the titanic,you can't abolish a tradition like that. I for one want to be comfortable on vacation, not dressed up like i am at a funeral or wedding.I have to wear uniforms to work,i'm not wearing a tux on a boat,but that's just me.There are plenty of places to eat,don't worry about it.

BT - Mensa?

The party that sent the letter re Rush?

Good thread. Mostly just stating an opinion rather than attacking anyone.

What line/ship? Love to have you work our table.

Torre tells Yankees to take offer and shove it. Totally OT, just watching SC.

There are a fair number of posters who say to those who do not wish to dress formally - go to the Windjammer. Horsefeathers!! Those who wish to dress formally should go to the Windjammer and leave the dining room to the rest of us .

I say settle this democratically. When you book your cruise you are asked to vote on whether you wish to have formal nights on your cruise - and you are told that results will be sent to you prior to final payment. Highest vote wins and is enforced in the main dining room. :D

Somehow I don't think this would sound too good to OP or others who claim that "all informal" is the new, prefered way to cruise. As for me, I am more than confident enough to have it go to a vote. ;) Go baby boomers - our numbers rock! :D

I guess it can be intimidating when you come across very intelligent people, or at least that is what people have told me.

I told my kids the same thing (about being the smartest things in the world) when they were little - about 2 or 3 years old I think. But then they grew up a little and I started telling them the truth. Not that I am saying anything about how old you are acting mind you........ :D

If you are so against formal nights why choose a cruise line that has them or cruise cruise at all. There are my other vacation spots in the world.We love formal nights and it's always been a part of cruising tradition... That is why they have alternative dinning options like the Windjammer, enjoy...

I say settle this democratically. When you book your cruise you are asked to vote on whether you wish to have formal nights on your cruise - and you are told that results will be sent to you prior to final payment. Highest vote wins and is enforced in the main dining room. :D

Somehow I don't think this would sound too good to OP or others who claim that "all informal" is the new, prefered way to cruise. As for me, I am more than confident enough to have it go to a vote. ;) Go baby boomers - our numbers rock! :D

Tranquil waters is seeing the light!!!!! At the begining of the thread he/she was vehemently against it, but now there is some flexibility in his/her thoughts. Nice job TW!

I would live with your idea. Very democratic.

BT - Mensa?

The party that sent the letter re Rush?

Good thread. Mostly just stating an opinion rather than attacking anyone.

What line/ship? Love to have you work our table.

Torre tells Yankees to take offer and shove it. Totally OT, just watching SC.

Yes, Mensa. Like Torre. I would have done the same.

If you are so against formal nights why choose a cruise line that has them. Or why choose a cruise at all

I like to get dressed up in a tux or suit for special occasion events with friends and family - weddings, New Years etc. I enjoy the added ambience fancy wear brings to these evenings. I would never wear jeans to this kind of event nor get into an argument about having to get dressed up.

Having cruised for a few years now we have enjoyed the formal nights, gernerally complied with the dress code, had the photos taken etc.

The difference between these two types of situations for me is simple. In the first case it is a truly a special occassion celebrated with family and friends and dressing up is fun and exciting.

In the latter situation, RCI (or which ever cruise line) declares that Tueday night is a formal night and that everyone should get dressed up to have dinner with a group of strangers, (granted some are new found friends) some of whom will be dressed in their finest.

Quite frankly I find nothing specially appealing or significant about geting dressed up to eat with a group of strangers on a Tuesday night after a sweaty day by the pool, simply because RCI declares it to be a special night. :confused: :confused:

When I couple this with the hassle of having to pack or rent and otherwise lug around the extra fancy wear while on vacation, I come down on the side of: "If you want to get dressed up, do, if you don't, don't." Quite frankly, I don't under these circumstances. :cool:

But... never the less I continue to enjoy all the ammenties that crusing offers. Formal night certainly isn't the deciding factor when I choose a cruiseline, rather it's the overall package offer. :rolleyes:

I love formal nights.

Even though i wear a suit to work (female) i love the opportunity to get really dressed up. Even my partner whose dress code is a flanellette shirt and jeans has no problems with it. Love to see him in a suit.

But in the defence of those who dont like to get dressed up i really couldnt care less if you wore jeans and a t shirt to formal nights if that is what you are comfortable in. There are more important things in life to worry about.

And that is after having to carry our formal wear half way across the world and around europe for a few weeks for a 28 day cruise which may have around 6 formal nights.

Caz

If you are so against formal nights why choose a cruise line that has them. Or why choose a cruise at all

Great, another try at some sort of logic. :rolleyes: Somehow, there is nothing more to cruising than formal night?? There is nothing more to a cruise line than its suggested dress attire?? If that is all that you define a cruise by then why bother cruising at all? Drive down the street to some local country club and pretent to be James Bond there.

There are a fair number of posters who say to those who do not wish to dress formally - go to the Windjammer. Horsefeathers!! Those who wish to dress formally should go to the Windjammer and leave the dining room to the rest of us :D :D.

Hey! I don't like the dining room. Don't you go messing up the Windjammer for me!:mad: :rolleyes: :D

Tranquil waters is seeing the light!!!!! At the begining of the thread he/she was vehemently against it, but now there is some flexibility in his/her thoughts. Nice job TW!

I would live with your idea. Very democratic.

Never vehement. Only weighing in that I want and like formal nights. Still do. I just know that my formal nights will be in no jeopardy what so ever if it is put to a vote. :)

Formal Nights are a special part of the cruise to me and DH. He loves to see me dressed up and I love to see him dressed up too. So handsome after 20 years! Such a romantic evening. We always have a formal picture done that night to capture the memory.

Royal Caribbean.................................Don't ever end FORMAL NIGHT!!!!

I

In the latter situation, RCI (or which ever cruise line) declares that Tueday night is a formal night and that everyone should get dressed up to have dinner with a group of strangers, (granted some are new found friends) some of whom will be dressed in their finest.

Quite frankly I find nothing specially appealing or significant about geting dressed up to eat with a group of strangers on a Tuesday night after a sweaty day by the pool, simply because RCI declares it to be a special night. :confused: :confused:

When I couple this with the hassle of having to pack or rent and otherwise lug around the extra fancy wear while on vacation, I come down on the side of: "If you want to get dressed up, do, if you don't, don't." Quite frankly, I don't under these circumstances. :cool:

But... never the less I continue to enjoy all the ammenties that crusing offers. Formal night certainly isn't the deciding factor when I choose a cruiseline, rather it's the overall package offer. :rolleyes:

CruseKrazy looks like another mensa member. Nice Post! You summed it up nicely.

I like to get dressed up in a tux or suit for special occasion events with friends and family - weddings, New Years etc. I enjoy the added ambience fancy wear brings to these evenings. I would never wear jeans to this kind of event nor get into an argument about having to get dressed up.

Having cruised for a few years now we have enjoyed the formal nights, gernerally complied with the dress code, had the photos taken etc.

The difference between these two types of situations for me is simple. In the first case it is a truly a special occassion celebrated with family and friends and dressing up is fun and exciting.

Quite frankly I find nothing specially appealing or significant about geting dressed up to eat with a group of strangers on a Tuesday night after a sweaty day by the pool, simply because RCI declares it to be a special night.

I guess this is where we differ. Nobody is more "special" to me than DH. :) And an evening - where we both take the time to look our best for each other and really treat each other like a "date" for the evening - is as special an occasion as any. If it takes a wedding or New Year's to be a special occasion you are missing a lot that life has to offer! ;)

Plus many people do cruise for those traditional "special occasions" you mention. Therefore, formal nights (even by your definition) are special occasions - and "dressing up is fun and exciting".

And lastly, since New Year's comes under your definition of "special", I guess you would be OK with keeping formal night for New Year's sailings?:D

Archived