Abolish All Formal Nights - all in favor speak up!

BrianTom

Wrong. It was a part of cruising for the privileged and ultra-wealthy, not for the middle-class cruiser who typically sails on RCI today. And it's interesting that on many of the premium lines where those ultra-wealthy passengers are NOW, the formal night has been abandoned as the silly and pretentious custom that it is.

While it is absolutely true that dress was a matter of social divide back in the early days of ships, it's also true that the purpose of cruising was different. Back then it was actually necessary transportation for those who wanted to get from continent to continent. Today's cruises are for pleasure and for many part of the pleasure is dressing up for a night or two and see others also finely dressed. It's a night for people watching just as people watch those going in out of big events out in Callifornia like the Oscars to see what they are wearing. If you want to dress down, that's fine but why does that mean the formal night has to go away?

Since we live in Florida and both have very casual jobs, we do enjoy getting all dressed up for formal - DH in a tux, me in a long, sexy dress. We love doing that for 7 nighters. Will say on 3 nighters we don't do it, more b/c we just don't want to take the extra luggage and have found the 3 nighters to be more casual anyway.

But, I want the formal nights to continue!

As a poster who I haven't seen in a while (Huck, anyone know where he is?) once posted "Tuxes 24-7, men, women, children and babies....everyone wears 'em -in the pools, hot tubs, on excursions and sleeping".

BrianTom, I'm with you...get rid of formal nights. It's kind of a joke anyway, I almost think I'm at a Halloween party.

Speaking of Halloween, jc - have you lost your mind? What transgression did you commit that has you wearing something like a Che Guevara killer bee outfit?

Marci, post #68, atta girl!

:D :D

It is a traditional transgression, I got married, and my wife has trained me. No Che for j. However, I will say we don't need no stinking passes.

jc

I am starting a movement to get formal nights removed from cruising. I know it is controversial, but worth the effort.

All that should be required in the evenings is resort casual or country club casual or better. If one chooses to dress in tux and gowns than it would be their prerogative. As my mom says you can never really be too overdressed.

Not having a formal night is a more fair system. I pay the same amount as the others and because I don't like to dress up like I am going to work while I am on vacation I am forced to pay to eat in the specialty restaurant or the hideous buffet or be sequestered in my room.

The cruiselines read these boards and lets send them a great message!

If I don't get a response in my favor I will start showing up in ripped jeans and t-shirt on formal nights. As we all know poorly dress people are never asked to leave. ;)

Sounds good to me. By the way, did you know formal night on NCL are optional?

As I saw on the 1st page of this and was happy to skip all the way to the end so far....a poll would have been better and my wife and I do enjoy doing the formal nights, but we would just be as happy eating in a non-formal restaurant as well.....depends on our mood I guess

OK having pretty carefully read the first 10-11 pages of this thread and skimmed through the rest I have come to the conclusion that, if indeed, RCCL reads CC then they know that to please the masses they must both retain formal nights and offer an alternative to those who don't want it. Since they already offer the alternative, (several of them, actually) I'd say RCCL is doing just fine and the OP is going to get nowhere with this idea. So if one is so bothered by the mere idea of a "formal night" cruise on lines that don't have them, quit trying to take away something that others consider "fun." You DON'T have to wear formal, I've never seen anyone turned out of an RCCL dining room so there is no need to ask for to abolish something that others enjoy.

OK having pretty carefully read the first 10-11 pages of this thread and skimmed through the rest I have come to the conclusion that, if indeed, RCCL reads CC then they know that to please the masses they must both retain formal nights and offer an alternative to those who don't want it. Since they already offer the alternative, (several of them, actually) I'd say RCCL is doing just fine and the OP is going to get nowhere with this idea. So if one is so bothered by the mere idea of a "formal night" cruise on lines that don't have them, quit trying to take away something that others consider "fun." You DON'T have to wear formal, I've never seen anyone turned out of an RCCL dining room so there is no need to ask for to abolish something that others enjoy.

Interesting thought. But on the flip side, you can get dressed up every night if you want to. You don't have to wait for the formal nights to get dressed up.

Also, I have seen a few mentions of NCL's dress code. For those that really like formal nights, look into Crystal. The passengers on Crystal like to dress formally lots of nights.

Quote from Bakincakes - "WJ is for casual dining and dress".

Not according to RCI, if their refusal to enforce the dress code is taken into consideration.

I'm sure that RCI isn't interested in the fact that it is the waitstaff that would have to turn the fashion challenged away from the main dining room. They are the people that depend upon tips for their livelihood. Ticked off pax won't likely tip. Unless RCI wants to start ponying up for lost revenue by waitstaff they will probably continue to let anyone enter and eat. Besides they are making money on the specialties and pax seem to know how to dress to dine there.

I long for the days that cruiselines didn't have to publish suggestions for proper dress. Pax knew what they were without being told.

On some of the European ships and many years ago, they had classes of people on ships...Tourist, First class etc. Different dinning rooms, cabins and areas. Big doors to keep the classes from mingling...remember the Titanic...now we don't do that any more and I'm glad...so there are going to be many opinions. I don't think the formal night will ever go away...but maybe one day they will have cruises that are just for people who always want to be casual...but not on RCI.

I support formal night. If I choose not to be formal (which does happen from time to time), there are a number of other options for dining on most RCCL ships nowadays.

But that won't suffice. People want to wear whatever they wish in the main dining room and bristle at the suggestion that if they don't wish to dress they can eat at the WJ or order in room service.

Won't be long before more and more pax are wearing shorts in the main dining room for dinner because they know they won't be asked to leave. If you wish to experience some elegance on RCI you will have to book one of the specialties. Maybe that is the game plan? Charge pax extra if they don't wish to eat in the main diner.:confused:

On some of the European ships and many years ago, they had classes of people on ships...Tourist, First class etc. Different dinning rooms, cabins and areas. Big doors to keep the classes from mingling...remember the Titanic...now we don't do that any more and I'm glad...so there are going to be many opinions. I don't think the formal night will ever go away...but maybe one day they will have cruises that are just for people who always want to be casual...but not on RCI.

I think you are wrong Rev....I do believe that RCI and most of the other "bargain" lines will soon be floating diners and any remnents of elegance will have to be bought and paid for at the specialties. So the classes may once again be separated, at least at mealtimes.

And there are still "classes"on many airlines. I don't hear much complaining about that. You buy a first class ticket you get first class service.

QE ships are still like this, you eat in certain dining rooms depending the type of room you have. A friend sails on them but I don't remember all the specifics but she said it is very class oriented.

Dead right

For many many people Cruising is the one time they can really enjoy wearing nice clothes that have become out of place in Restuarants etc thanks to those in this world who think "Jeans with everything"

The loss of standards simply equals the sorry state a lot of this world is in with no one having any respect for others anymore

the ME society

I agree with you Gracie. Formal nights are special. It is wonderful to see so many people dressed up on one night. Just dressing up on a normal night would not the same. Definitely keep formal night and let those who don't want to participate do their own thing.

I'm sure that RCI isn't interested in the fact that it is the waitstaff that would have to turn the fashion challenged away from the main dining room. They are the people that depend upon tips for their livelihood. Ticked off pax won't likely tip. Unless RCI wants to start ponying up for lost revenue by waitstaff they will probably continue to let anyone enter and eat. Besides they are making money on the specialties and pax seem to know how to dress to dine there.

I long for the days that cruiselines didn't have to publish suggestions for proper dress. Pax knew what they were without being told.

Amen!! All for the formal nights here. Sometimes it's fun to play dress up. Anyone who doesn't like it doesn't have to participate but don't denigrate those who enjoy looking nice from time to time. Those who believe it is merely "showing off" really don't understand & won't be converted by those who do.

And there are still "classes"on many airlines. I don't hear much complaining about that. You buy a first class ticket you get first class service.

Having flown both coach and first class, I have to disagree with you. In first class you get better service, not first class service. There is a difference. Go to fine land based restaurant and you will see what first class service really is.

Archived