Have to Cancel Tahiti Cruise

Curious Jan

Well, thank goodness for insurance because my husband and I were scheduled to go to Tahiti on Princess on Sept 12th. Four days ago he developed a terrible cold and other symptoms. To make a long story short he has a pulmonary infection which will not be healed by next weekend. We have to be very grateful because after an x-ray and MRI we waited patiently afraid that he had lung cancer. So we have a lot to be thankful for. We also have Princess insurance so it will not be a loss of money. What I don't understand is we want to rebook for October and the only way we can do it

is to file a claim wait six weeks for our money and in the mean time pay the

entire amount to Princess for the next date we have chosen. Of course,

we don't have that kind of money so we will have to charge it to a home

equity loan account when all they would have to do is keep the money and

reschedule us. They are telling us they have no balcony room until October the 24th. So I guess that will be our next date. The only thing we will probably lose is our plane fare from Pittsburgh to LA which we booked on our

own. So that will run a good bit. They are also telling us the trip will cost more in October because there has been a price increase. Which is ironic since we booked over a year ago. But I still have a lot to be thankful for!!!!

Jan

Jan, you know the old saying, "if you ain't got your health, you ain't got a thing." Happy for you and husband that his tests came out negative for the C thing. Sure you are going to lose some dough but when you put it all in prosepective things just sort of work themselves out. Hope he is feeling better soon and you two have that great cruise.

Jan,

I am with Catmand. What a disappoint that you will not be cruising in 2 weeks, but of course your husbands health is more important than any cruis.

I have been to Tahiti twice. You are absolutely going to love it. Be sure to bring plenty of insect repellent that contains DEET, even if you are just walking around as there are lots of mosquitoes and other bugs in Tahiti.

September/October is the very best time to go. Definately get a balcony cabin. The place is total PARADISE. Have a wonderful time.

Glad your husband is going to be fine. Sorry about the delay in your vacation.

Princess really doesn't run Princess' insurance. It is run by a company called Berkley Insurance. So though it may look like it would be easy for Princess to just transfer the money - it has to go through a separate insurance company as a cancellation and the insurance company pays out (not Princess).

Enjoy your October vacation :)

Jan,

So sorry you have been through so much but at least your husband's health is going to be fine.

It is hard to cancel a holiday but at least you can still get to Paradise and it will be even better now as you have gone through so much to get there.

It is well worth waiting for, one of our best trips in 40 years of marriage.

Jennie

My husband and I had a similar experience last year when we were supposed to go on the Tahitian Princess last November. Fortunately, we were able to cancel before final payment was due and we rebooked the Star for October. As it turned out, we went on the Grand this past June to the Baltic and were able to do a trip that we've always dreamed of. Someday we'll book Tahiti again, but until then.....

Jan, I also am so sorry about your trip 1 Heck, I would be half packed that close to going. But, thank God your husband is okay - your airfare is a small price to pay. I was dx'd with cancer and continue to have recurrances. When I get the all-clear for 90 days - we go! I always wonder if it will be my last. SO, even tho it s a disappointment, assume its for the best--maybe fate saved you from something worse happening in Tahiti (sorry, I'm always sooo superstious! LOL) Anyway, hug your hubbie - he's probably feeling bad - and look forward to October. Let us know how it goes!

Sorry to hear about your problem but happy to hear that you missed the big C. Hang in with the insurance, they do pay. Talk to your travel agent to help you expidite the forms. We missed a plane to England and arrived a day late because of a problem with the plane. The insurance company paid us for the missed day in England for the hotel and princess got us to the ship on time. Do take the cruise to Tahiti. We did that cruise last summer and it was probably the best cruise we ever have been on. The ship is the smallest and the most intimate ship with only 680 passengers. I'll be glad to tell you some of the neat parts of the cruise if you E-Mail me. (Glassman) Mike Taylor michaelrt13@hotmail.com

Archived