MS Office 2007

maxout

Though not strictly cruise related, I know that many of us utilize MS Office Products to compose posts/reviews/e-mails and then copy and paste them in order to save on online minutes while aboard ship.

Those of you with new computers with MS Office 2007, may be unaware that if you save your docs in the native 2007 format, you will be unable to open them from previous office versions (thanks Bill :( ) The following procedure will correct this...

For 2007 Users: The instructions below are a one-time only procedure that you will have to change in the settings for each MS Office 2007 application (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Visio, Project, etc)

Instructions

MS Office Users

2003 and Prior: MS Office 2003 and previous version users who experience

compatibility issues viewing/editing MS Office 2007 files may contact your local IT Coordinator in order to receive the latest File Converter update.

Saving instructions for MS Office Word 2007

1. Launch MS Word .

2. Go to Office button at the Top-Left corner of the application, click. At the very bottom of the menu choose Word Options.

3. From the Word Option Display Box choose Save.

4. At the Save menu, under the “Save documents” heading, change the setting from “Word Document (*.docx) “ to “Word Document 97 – 2003(*.doc)”

These instructions are similar for Excel, Access, etc.

Actually for those who do not have Office 2007 and receive a document from someone who does and it was saved in the new format, there is a small add-in that Microsoft has that serves as an adapter between the 2 formats.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=941b3470-3ae9-4aee-8f43-c6bb74cd1466&displaylang=en

for the download

Since I just got a new computer and I have office 07, I also wish I had a clue of what you're talking about. I finally got my word, word perfect, excel and quickbooks to operate to the point that I can use them.

Now what? What am I missing here?

I use a Mac.

On Macs with OS X.4 (and X.5 by Friday), MS Office 2004 is the version we currently use ... MS Office 2008 is coming out early next year, and the files it will create will be fully backward compatible. :)

I just checked, and each one of my programs has a save option. When I hit it, it asks if I want to save it in the 97-03 compatable version. Isn't that enough?:confused:

Carol -

That is usually what I do too. No problems yet. :)

I hate change and don't like Office 2007 yet... I can't find anything I need, especially in Excel - which I use daily...

Archived