youngest cruiser

we are planning a cruise for our 50th anniversary, what is the youngest age that royal carribean will let a baby cruise, our daughter is expecting?

Happy 50th anniversary! I personally have never seen a "newborn" on a cruise, but have seen like 3-4 months and up. I don't see how they could impose a minimum age for children. I would be safe and call RCCL direct and ask.

I saw a few babies on my last cruise. Like one was 8 wks. and the other was not quite 3 months. The parents of the 8 wk old had tiny little undies over her diapers that always had cute phrases on them. They seemed to enjoy themselves by the pool a lot without the little one fussing. In fact we never heard the baby cry. They were there with a large family as well, so my assumption it must have been similar to your situation.

I don't think there is a minimum age restriction. I think I'd give it second thought before taking a new baby on a cruise, babies can pick up illness so easily and there is not a pediatrician onboard.

If it were me, I'd wait until the little one is a minimum of 6 months to a year old. I might be a bit old fashioned, but I think babies do not need to be exposed to germs when they are little. People are well meaning, but don't always realize they should not touch other peoples babies, or breathe close to their face, or kiss them, or hold their little hands that go right into their mouthes.

If you do decide to go with a young infant, please protect them as best you can from the public and...keep them out of the sun!

I think if you sail after the first of the year, the baby would have to be old enough to have a passport? Not sure on the rules for passports for infants. But something to think about. Other than that....no minimum or maximum ;) ages!

Cruising with a baby doesn't seem like much of a vacation, to me! Hauling all the diapers, and gear that an infant will need for a week (or even 4 days) seems like an awful lot of trouble!

But--there will be other very small kids, so.....

I don't think you pay full price for a baby...There is always 3rd/4rth passenger rates, and I think it is even less if they are under one year.:)

There is no children's rates, the 3rd or 4th and for that matter the 1st or 2nd passengers the price is the same whether your are 1 week old or 100 years old.

Not exactly, once you hit 55, you are eligible for Sr. Citizen rate...

Only if there is one on that cruise and for that cabin. Senior rates are not universal, and actually not all that frequent.

I too have never heard of a minimum age for a baby. Keep in mind that you will pay full price for the baby.

There used to be a minimum age (I think that it was 6 months), but that was dropped some time ago.

Happy 50th anniversary! I personally have never seen a "newborn" on a cruise, but have seen like 3-4 months and up. I don't see how they could impose a minimum age for children. I would be safe and call RCCL direct and ask.
'

Of course they could. Just as many land-based resorts/hotels/inns have age restrictions; just as the cruise lines have age restrictions for booking; just as there are age restrictions for children's activities/adult's activities. Some cruise lines do not allow children younger than 6 months. I believe that this is due, in part, to the general perception (one I believe) that a very young infant is very susceptible to illness/infection. It's one thing to have a very ill 6 week old on land with excellent medical facilities nearby. It's another to have that same problem on a ship at sea with a medical facility designed to handle general health issues and not equipped to care for a very ill infant. I believe it's also due in part to insurance rates. Underwriters look at all things, including ages, when creating insurance plans and the associated premiums. Some cruise lines may have decided that their "risk tolerance" for very young infants is lower than other cruise lines.

Just an observation, not a judgment or suggestion about whether to cruise with a brand new infant.

beachchick

Disney Cruise line has a minimum age for their passengers, I believe it is 12 weeks. I know that because we took our son when he was 14 weeks old on that cruise. He slept a lot and I carried him around a lot in a snugli. It's so much easier now that they're older. :D

No minimum age, but even the youngest passenger needs a passport. Our grandson was born in late February and we sailed in June...at a time when it was taking 10-12 weeks to get a passport. Our daughter was worried sick that the passport wouldn't arrive before we left, but with the rush service, it came through in plenty of time.

Before you can apply for a passport, the baby has to have a social security number...and that process can take several weeks. Also the baby has to have his/her picture taken at an official passport office, because they need to use a special camera that drops down from the ceiling and takes the baby's picture from overhead. But, in my opinion, taking an infant on a cruise is MUCH easier than taking a toddler. Our previous family cruise included two-year-old twin boys -- whew!

We cruised on Serenade when our youngest was 2 months. It was tedious waiting first for his SS card, then the birth certificate and then getting (and expediting) his passport. We did get it in time but with just days to spare. So just make sure you leave plenty of time for the passport!

Archived