Anyone been to Zeebrugge on Cunard?

3rdGenCunarder

Has anyone ever stopped in Zeebrugge on QE2 or QM2? I'm on the Christmas Markets cruise in Dec, and want to go to Bruges.

I've done some searching on this site and the internet in general, and I have a pretty good idea of how to go to Bruges from Zeebrugge. I also saw a picture of cruise ships docked in Zeebrugge. It looks like the back of beyond. As the website that had the picture said, not so much as a port-a-potty in sight!

Posts on CC from people who took other lines said their ships provided a shuttle to a nearby seaside town where you could catch the train. Does Cunard do this, too?

I've done enough research to know that the train is 4 or 5 euros round trip. The ship's 'on your own' trip is $59 per person, making the train very attractive, if we can get to the station.

The other option would be to pre-arrange a car service to take us there and pick us up, but that's obviously going to be more expensive than the train.

So many decisions, so little time...

Kathy

Has anyone ever stopped in Zeebrugge on QE2 or QM2? I'm on the Christmas Markets cruise in Dec, and want to go to Bruges.

Kathy

Hi Kathy

Will this help? (12-14th October this year) shore excursion bookings

Best of Brussels 0900-1700 $114

Bruges and Ghent 0915-1715 $169

Bruges Sampler 0930-1730 $69

Bruges and Belgian Chocolates 0900-0130 $89

Historical Bruges and Canals 0930-1400 $77

Ypres-In Flanders Fields 0845-1345 $67

Bruges on Your Own 0830-1630 $59

I heard annoucements about a shuttle bus and saw one depart (and arrive!) several times during the day, however I didn't listen out for it's destination, sorry!

If you look at my photographs from my QE2 trip (link below) you will see several shots of Zeebrugge.

Have a great time

Thanks, Pepper. Sounds like you were given the same shore excursion book I have. My problem is that Bruges Sampler isn't available for my cruise. I'm guessing that it has to do with winter stopping the canal boat portion of the cruise. I'd like the walking tour for the sake of general info and orientation, and then free time to explore on our own.

I may sign up for the chocolate tour and then ask if it's possible to bail on the bus ride back and catch the train instead.

Kathy

Has anyone ever stopped in Zeebrugge on QE2 or QM2? .....

I also saw a picture of cruise ships docked in Zeebrugge. It looks like the back of beyond. As the website that had the picture said, not so much as a port-a-potty in sight!

A large part of that opinion about Zeebrugge was formed from someone going no further than the docks. I don't know where cruise ships tie up but, if it's anywhere like the ferry do, there is nothing there at all (other than a car park). Zeebrugge itself is actually a nice little town several miles from the docks. We've sailed to/from Zeebrugge many times (although on a ferry and not a cruise ship). Once we were very early arriving at the dock so drove into the town to see what it was like. It was a typical small seaside resort; not somewhere I'd want to spend an entire holiday but it passed a couple of hours. Remember that we were there in summer - in winter it could be shut:eek: Bruges would be much more appealing just before Christmas:)

I was there on QE2 about a decade ago in the summer. At the time, the part of Zeebrugge where we docked was simply an industrial port. The shore excursion to Bruges then was a guided tour. Bruges was quite interesting but part of that was riding around on the canals. I'm not sure it would be quite so nice in December.

I was there on QE2 about a decade ago in the summer. At the time, the part of Zeebrugge where we docked was simply an industrial port. The shore excursion to Bruges then was a guided tour. Bruges was quite interesting but part of that was riding around on the canals. I'm not sure it would be quite so nice in December.

The tour book lists a tour that sounds like what you describe. It isn't offered in December, no surprise there.

Kathy

The tour book lists a tour that sounds like what you describe. It isn't offered in December, no surprise there.

I wouldn't worry about doing a tour to Bruges. If you can get there from the ship then there's plenty to do that's within walking distance of the centre without having to bother about canal rides. Bruges is not so far away from Zeebrugge that you would be running a major risk of missing the ship if you didn't do an organised tour.

I wouldn't worry about doing a tour to Bruges. If you can get there from the ship then there's plenty to do that's within walking distance of the centre without having to bother about canal rides. Bruges is not so far away from Zeebrugge that you would be running a major risk of missing the ship if you didn't do an organised tour.

There tourist site for Bruges has a wealth of information, and we have a list of things to see (more than we can possibly accomplish!). I was able to figure out the trains. The big question is whether the ship will run the shuttle to the train station.

We're pre-booking the half-day tour with the chocolate tasting. I suppose it's the same demonstration and tasting you get by just going to ChocoWorld (or whatever the museum is called).

What attracted me to the ship's tour was the walking tour. (didn't really care that much about a canal ride when the whole trip is a great big boat ride!) I'd like to do the walking tour to get oriented and get a little local history, then go off on our own. Unfortunately, the tourist bureau doesn't do walking tours off season.

So we'll ask on board if it's possible to take the ship's tour, leave it at the end and find our own way back. I suppose we could just "oops, miss the bus," but I don't want to cause worry on the part of the tour leader or cause a group of passengers to sit on a bus and wait for two passengers who aren't going to show up. We will have time on board to cancel the tour if we decide to go completely independently.

So, for anyone who has taken the walking tour that comes with the ship's tours, is it worth your time?

Kathy

We're going with the family at Christmas and I muts confess that we will probably stay on the ship! It'll be our last time on QE2 and we don't want to miss a moment of it!

Are you able to take photos from the Quayside with QE2 in the background?

We're going with the family at Christmas and I muts confess that we will probably stay on the ship! It'll be our last time on QE2 and we don't want to miss a moment of it!

Are you able to take photos from the Quayside with QE2 in the background?

From the photos I've seen of the area, it's a big expanse of concrete and nothing else. So I'd say you could back up far enough to get the whole ship in. One of the ports on the Christmas Market Cruise has a little viewing platform where you can climb up and get a nice shot of the ship. Can't remember which one it is, maybe Hamburg.

Kathy

Am l right in saying that QE2 and QV are meeting for the first time during the Christmas Markets Cruise, Amsterdam springs to mind, so surely that would mean the 'meet' would be in Zeebrugge :confused: or have l completely lost the plot somwhere and having a senior moment here!! Just curious again!

Thank You

Jackie:)

Am l right in saying that QE2 and QV are meeting for the first time during the Christmas Markets Cruise, Amsterdam springs to mind, so surely that would mean the 'meet' would be in Zeebrugge :confused: or have l completely lost the plot somwhere and having a senior moment here!! Just curious again!

Thank You

Jackie:)

Rotterdam. QE2 docks first, then QV an hour later. I expect a lot of competition on deck for prime viewing spots!

Jackie, are you on the Christmas Markets cruise? If so, come join the Roll Call. We've got about a dozen people signed up so far.

Kathy

Rotterdam. QE2 docks first, then QV an hour later. I expect a lot of competition on deck for prime viewing spots!

Jackie, are you on the Christmas Markets cruise? If so, come join the Roll Call. We've got about a dozen people signed up so far.

Kathy

Many thanks for that Kathy, we are really hoping that we can do this cruise, but my father is not well at the moment, so just have to wait and see what happens over the next couple of weeks!

If we do make it, will certainly join the roll call and look forward to meeting everyone on board (fingers crossed!!)

If we don't make it, wishing you all Bon Voyage :)

Jackie

Many thanks for that Kathy, we are really hoping that we can do this cruise, but my father is not well at the moment, so just have to wait and see what happens over the next couple of weeks!

If we do make it, will certainly join the roll call and look forward to meeting everyone on board (fingers crossed!!)

If we don't make it, wishing you all Bon Voyage :)

Jackie

I hope your father will be doing better and you'll be Bon Voyaging WITH us in Dec!

Kathy

Archived