how to know ship time vs. port time

winemistress45

I was wondering how we know ahead of time (as in before we sail) what the differences are between port time and ship time.

This is sort of important to me because I've made reservations for a nice dinner on Tortola at 6:30 pm (tortola time) --- we leave at 10 pm -- which most likely means I need to be back on ship by 9:15 --

And the restaurant is a good 20 minute taxi away ( at least) -- so if there is a time difference between the ship and the port time -- I think this won't work.

After reading all the posts about people cutting it too close, I don't want to be one of them!

Don't know what island you will be at the day before, but - if there is suppose to be a time change the night before you get to Tortola, there will be a note under your chocolate on the pillow as well it will be mentioned in the dasily program.

Just from previous esxperience, we have never had to change our clocks before that island.

If there is atime change it will be announced beforehand by way of a printed card in your cabin. It will also be noted on the previous days printed program. Additionally there is asign board when you get off the ship that indicates All board time . If you are still confused just ask one of the Officers at the gangway.

It is only rarely that I have not seen ship time adjusted to local time.

Here is a link to the same question, you posted a few days ago.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=653143

There is no difference between port/ship time, on your intinerary, based upon previous sails. The ship will adjust to local time and tell you they are doing so, once aboard.

Ship time is always at the discretion of the Captain. So is docking. Conditions may not be conducive to docking/tendering. Or, "all- aboard" time could be reduced or increased- again, Captain's discretion. You will be advided of any changed onboard. Part of the magic of cruising is uncertainty.

As I previously said, if you choose to hop a taxi and go 20 minutes into the island and depend upon the taxi to get you back in time, you are accepting some risks. Only you can decide if your plan is worth the risk.

I agree with Hammy, a 20 min taxi ride can be risky. If it is a more remote area of the island you need to pre arrange to have a taxi available when you leave the restaurant and the risk can increase if there is bad weather, more specifically a lot of rain as roads on many islands can flood and be impassible rather quickly. Several years ago we did what you are doing in Barbados and came too close for my comfort to missing the ship’s sailing. The pre arranged taxi was 20 minutes late picking us up. In fact the rush of having to eat and get back to the ship ruined our great dining experience at that restaurant. My DW and I now have a policy if we eat dinner off the ship it has to be within walking distance back to the ship. We are in Aruba until 11pm on the Volendam this month and plan to have dinner off the ship that night.

I was wondering how we know ahead of time (as in before we sail) what the differences are between port time and ship time.

This is sort of important to me because I've made reservations for a nice dinner on Tortola at 6:30 pm (tortola time) --- we leave at 10 pm -- which most likely means I need to be back on ship by 9:15 --

And the restaurant is a good 20 minute taxi away ( at least) -- so if there is a time difference between the ship and the port time -- I think this won't work.

After reading all the posts about people cutting it too close, I don't want to be one of them!

We were on the Zuiderdam last Feb., and the night before our stop in Tortola, we were told to set our clocks and watches forward one hour. We kept our watches/clocks set at this time while were were visiting Tortola and St. Thomas. Then we were told to set our clocks/watches back one hour the evening before we stopped at HMC. This info is also in the daily paper.

So if you're going to be in San Juan, Tortola, St. Thomas, or any of the island in that vicinity, you'll need to set your watch/clock ahead one hour before getting there.

We were supposed to go to Spaghetti Junction in Tortola, but we weren't able to make it (the person we were going to go with had an accident in Grand Turk, so we ended up eating on the ship. I've heard really wonderful things about this place and look forward to going there the next time we're in Tortola.

Here is a link to the same question, you posted a few days ago.

As I previously said, if you choose to hop a taxi and go 20 minutes into the island and depend upon the taxi to get you back in time, you are accepting some risks. Only you can decide if your plan is worth the risk.

I looked and looked for my previous post and could not find it, even in the search engine.

So I posted it again ...so sorry to have bothered you.

We were on the Zuiderdam last Feb., and the night before our stop in Tortola, we were told to set our clocks and watches forward one hour. We kept our watches/clocks set at this time while were were visiting Tortola and St. Thomas. Then we were told to set our clocks/watches back one hour the evening before we stopped at HMC. This info is also in the daily paper.

So if you're going to be in San Juan, Tortola, St. Thomas, or any of the island in that vicinity, you'll need to set your watch/clock ahead one hour before getting there.

We were supposed to go to Spaghetti Junction in Tortola, but we weren't able to make it (the person we were going to go with had an accident in Grand Turk, so we ended up eating on the ship. I've heard really wonderful things about this place and look forward to going there the next time we're in Tortola.

Thank you for the kind response, I do appreciate it.

I suppose I should check with the restaurant to be sure of how long it really is from the cruise ship to their restaurant.

The restaurant where I am planning to dine is Brandywine Bay Restaurant...if I'm fortunate, it will be less than 20 minutes via cab.

I have friends who said it was not to be missed, so I'm hoping its possible.

I've also heard great things about Spaghetti Junction -- let's keep fingers crossed that you can try it next time!

I looked and looked for my previous post and could not find it, even in the search engine.

Here's a tip for when the search engine fails you. Find any of your posts. Since you have near 300 that should be easy. Click on your board name at the top left and you will be offered a display all of your posts.

Ask on the ship.

DON

Ofcourse I could ask on the ship -- I'm trying to plan ahead. This is a small, more upscale restaurant that is a reservation only establishment, so I don't want to cancel on them at the last minute.

Just trying to figure out if I have enough time to dine there and get back to the ship is all.

We cannot dine any earlier either-- they don't even seat people til 6 pm and we have a private excursion earlier in the day that ends at about 5 pm.

Sort of pushing it, but I would really like to do both that day -- its the one day I'm really looking foward to in port.:)

You don't bother me.:)

If you lose track of a thread you started, you can click on your own screen name and find your previous posts, on CC.

Thank you for the kind response, I do appreciate it.

I suppose I should check with the restaurant to be sure of how long it really is from the cruise ship to their restaurant.

The restaurant where I am planning to dine is Brandywine Bay Restaurant...if I'm fortunate, it will be less than 20 minutes via cab.

I have friends who said it was not to be missed, so I'm hoping its possible.

I've also heard great things about Spaghetti Junction -- let's keep fingers crossed that you can try it next time!

A lot of people went to dinner the night we were in Tortola. I'd just give myself plenty of time and you should be fine. We really enjoyed our time on Tortola. :)

I did a google search and it says this restaurant is 4 miles from Road Town (and it does sound like a wonderful restaurant from the review. I'll have to remember this for our next visit). You could always e-mail them or call them and find out exactly how long a cab ride would be from the port area. Four miles isn't very far, but the roads are very narrow and windy, so it will take a bit longer. :)

A lot of people went to dinner the night we were in Tortola. I'd just give myself plenty of time and you should be fine. We really enjoyed our time on Tortola. :)

I did a google search and it says this restaurant is 4 miles from Road Town (and it does sound like a wonderful restaurant from the review. I'll have to remember this for our next visit). You could always e-mail them or call them and find out exactly how long a cab ride would be from the port area. Four miles isn't very far, but the roads are very narrow and windy, so it will take a bit longer. :)

I'm so glad to hear this -- that others went to dinner and had enough time to do so.

I knew it wasn't that far, but wanted to allow 20 minutes via taxi.

My friends say that this is the highlight dining experience for them when in tortola.

I'm a real foodie and am very much looking forward to the experience.

I'm so glad to hear this -- that others went to dinner and had enough time to do so.

I knew it wasn't that far, but wanted to allow 20 minutes via taxi.

My friends say that this is the highlight dining experience for them when in tortola.

I'm a real foodie and am very much looking forward to the experience.

The only reason we didn't go out for dinner was because the couple we were going to go with, the wife had an accident in Grand Turk (she broke some ribs) so we decided we'd dine with them on the ship. I would imagine you're going to see a lot of other cruisers at this restaurant.

Have a wonderful time. This restaurant sounds yummy. :)

Archived