Can Anyone Give A Report Of Half Moon Cay Condition

ESLO

This was only my second HAL cruise. I was giving them another chance after a disasterous Maasdam experience. With the exception of using the paltry credit offered as compensation for reduction from a 7 day to a cruise of just over 4 days, I am hard pressed to think of any reason to try HAL again. Can anyone (other than sail7seas who appears to work for HAL) give me a good reason to put myself at their mercy again?
obobber, I don't think it's fair to blame HAL for the entire situation last week, weather is beyond anyone's control, but from what I read about the credit offered I also thought HAL could have given more/additional compensation. But for those who weren't affected it is hard to say how we would feel in your spot.

I am wondering what your "disasterous Maasdam experience" was? When there are 2 unhappy situations I can understand why you might get upset, but maybe somebody here can help put it all in perspective. :)

Just got off the 9/4 (oops, 9/6) Zuiderdam sailing. Was thoroughly disappointed (and that's putting it mildly) with HAL's handling of the whole thing. Captain told us HMC had taken a pretty heavy hit. Word was all the cabanas were destroyed. We were really looking forward the one we had reserved. This was only my second HAL cruise. I was giving them another chance after a disasterous Maasdam experience. With the exception of using the paltry credit offered as compensation for reduction from a 7 day to a cruise of just over 4 days, I am hard pressed to think of any reason to try HAL again. Can anyone (other than sail7seas who appears to work for HAL) give me a good reason to put myself at their mercy again?

You knew about the itinerary change, the credit offered and the length before you got on the ship, didn't you? You had the opportunity to cancel for a full refund, right? What else were you expecting the cruise line to do?

=dave

:rolleyes: Oh dear, oh dear, Obobber, you didn't get to stay in the cabana that got destroyed by the hurricane. How could HAL let that happen? I'm sure the other cruiselines would have done ever so much better.

They are SHACKS for heaven's sake!!! It's unfortunate, and I mean that sincerely, that the timing of your cruise coincided with a horrendous hurricane, but I have to confess I am bewildered by your anger at HAL over it.

Still, I honestly think that when one is disappointed this much by a cruiseline there is no coming back from it. There's no way they'll ever make you happy so the chances are you would be happier with another cruiseline. Luckily there are so many to choose from. If you're going to spend your hard earned money on a cruise, you should come home from it happy.:)

I am hard pressed to think of any reason to try HAL again. Can anyone give me a good reason to put myself at their mercy again?

I am so sorry to hear about your poor cruise experience. I think your voice of disappointment is echo'd by many who sailed the same week with ALL of the cruiselines. There were lots of changes in the iteneraries. Although I haven't sailed HAL yet and can't say "PLEASE RECONSIDER". I can say that I don't think as a result of what happened (the shorten cruise) you should shut the door on future opportunites for sailing HAL again.

Could you please share what was offered to you besides a shipboard credit? Did your TA give you the option to back out before the cruise for a refund including air? This would be interesting to know. (I am not saying or accusing you that you knew this before - I'm just interested).

obobber

Hurricanes are not HAL's fault.

You are lamenting about not getting to HMC and not beeing able to use the cabana that you rented.

Just think of all the other people on future HAL cruises that have rented cabanas and can't use them - especially since the reports indicate that they have all been destroyed and will have to be rebuilt.

There are going to be a lot of other disappointed passengers but I bet you won't hear a lot of complaints from them.

HAL cannot rule Mother Nature.

obobber,

Whenever HMC is listed on an itinerary there is an asterisk next to the listing with the notation below that states "weather conditions permitting". Obviously because the weather has caused some damage to the accommodations for pax on the island which there had been no time to repair, the stop was cancelled.

Last November the island was in beautiful condition, but because of a fast moving storm coming in behind us, the captain chose to cancel our stop at HMC for safety reasons. It would have been hazardous to tender. It was not HAL's fault that we could not stop there. I was grateful that the captain had our safety and well being as his first concern.

We were bitterly disappointed because I love HMC and had been extolling it's beauty to our first-time cruiser friends. However, I accepted that it was not to happen and got over it.

I also can't quite understand what you think HAL should have done differently on the 9/6 shortened cruise. You did have the opportunity to cancel and re-book at no cost to you.

I am also curious as to what horrendous experience you had on Maasdam?

Archived