footwear

SueF

• Administrators
I just don't understand why people care so much about what others wear. We all have paid for the cruise' date=' it is our vacation, why shouldn't people be able to wear whatever they want, as long as the important parts are covered? :confused: Or are these just the people who complain about anything and everything?[/quote']

I'm with you in that club. I've never understood such angst about others on any cruiseline, but on NCL, which has done all it reasonably can to make its dress policy crystal-clear, what is the point of complaining? Oh wait.... you answered that! ;)

I just don't understand why people care so much about what others wear. We all have paid for the cruise' date=' it is our vacation, why shouldn't people be able to wear whatever they want, as long as the important parts are covered? :confused: Or are these just the people who complain about anything and everything?[/quote'] I don't think people complain to complain. If a restaurant has a dress code, then I expect people to follow it. If jeans are allowed, I'd hope that people would wear jeans that aren't torn up or hanging down their back sides. That's not something I want to look at at any time. It's my vacation too and if everyone follows the dress code, then there shouldn't be an issue.
I'm with you in that club. I've never understood such angst about others on any cruiseline, but on NCL, which has done all it reasonably can to make its dress policy crystal-clear, what is the point of complaining? Oh wait.... you answered that! ;)
If jeans are allowed, I don't care who wears them. Heck, maybe I'd wear them. I don't think the issue is the jeans themselves but the look of the jeans. I don't care to see big open holes at someone's knees or to see the tops of someone's boxer shorts. But there's no accounting for taste.

I don't lose sleep over what anyone wears to dinner. But if there's a dress code, you should follow it. For everyone that doesn't get why people care about the dress code...why do you care if I do care about the dress code?

OK, maybe a silly question....but for those of you who wear jeans, are you allowed to wear sneakers with them in the dining areas? We are on the Majesty in a couple of weeks, and one of the people in our group will probably wear jeans most nights, and his wife asked if OK to wear nice sneakers with them. I have never worn jeans on a cruise, so wasn't sure how to answer!

Thanks!

Sue

Of course it is fine to wear sneakers.

BTW anybone who equates wearing casual shoes like sneakers with being barefoot has some issues best ignored.

NCL's ever changing Dress Code Policy wording, here's the lastest.

Resort casual dress gets you into every venue at night too. Some people like to add a jacket, or when celebrating a special occasion, get all decked out. This too is welcome everywhere. And if you're tired from a long fun day and just want to wear shorts; our buffet is the place for a casual dinner. Some people prefer nice jeans. They're welcome in many of our restaurants as well, but not in all. It's your vacation on NCL so dress comfortably, and you'll find a venue that suits your style.

The full Policy.

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/cruiser/cmsPages.html?pageId=FAQ#whatpack

i will bring 3 pairs of shoes for this cruise...1 pair will be slip-on sneakers.

i will be wearing them most of the time..including to dinner a few nights.

i can walk the outside decks, up/down the stairs without fear of slipping.

plus i am always rushing to catch up with DH, he walks too fast!!!

if anyone doesn't like...what are you doing looking at my feet? you are looking 5' and some inches too low to see my smile:D

I don't think people complain to complain. If a restaurant has a dress code, then I expect people to follow it. If jeans are allowed, I'd hope that people would wear jeans that aren't torn up or hanging down their back sides. That's not something I want to look at at any time. It's my vacation too and if everyone follows the dress code, then there shouldn't be an issue.

If jeans are allowed, I don't care who wears them. Heck, maybe I'd wear them. I don't think the issue is the jeans themselves but the look of the jeans. I don't care to see big open holes at someone's knees or to see the tops of someone's boxer shorts. But there's no accounting for taste.

Yes, I agree, follow the dress code. But I think that some people just don't like what the cruiseline has decided what the dress code is (any jeans at all). Well, they should just bite their tongues and keep quiet or cruise on another line. (Don't get me started on the pants below the back side issue, I can't stand that!)

I have never worn anything but sneakers to dinner on any NCL cruise.

I also have a foot problem that does not allow me to wear any type of loafer shoe or hard sided shoe...so dress shoes are out all the way for me. On my cruise on another line next year, I will have to wear sneakers on the silly formal night and I will have a doctor's note with me.

Songanddance has long been anti-Freestyle Dress Code and snide comments toward parts of it are normal.

Me too, except with me it is a back problem. I never wear heels and only wear flat lace up shoes, which in most cases are some type athletic shoes. And in most cases, they are men's shoes as I have a problem getting women's shoes that are wide enough. I do have some black Easy Spirit shoes that don't scream out SNEAKERS, that I can wear under a longish dress or skirt on the formal nights.

I wouldn't wear jeans though as I find them most uncomfortable. Unless I'm going to be leaping about from ship to boat or climbing ladders or something, I wear dresses.

• Administrators
I don't think people complain to complain. If a restaurant has a dress code' date=' then I expect people to follow it. If jeans are allowed, I'd hope that people would wear jeans that aren't torn up or hanging down their back sides. That's not something I want to look at at any time. It's my vacation too and if everyone follows the dress code, then there shouldn't be an issue.

Yes, I agree, follow the dress code. But I think that some people just don't like what the cruiseline has decided what the dress code is (any jeans at all). Well, they should just bite their tongues and keep quiet or cruise on another line. (Don't get me started on the pants below the back side issue, I can't stand that!)[/quote']

Ding! I agree with what you said, and almost posted exactly that. I ALWAYS adhere to the dress code on a cruise -- formal nights when expected, etc. But for a cruiseline that has done away with that type of policy in favor of a more relaxed dress code, I find it sort of... bizarre... for someone to spend their time visiting that cruiseline's boards and intentionally posting mis-information (or perhaps it was just ham-handed sarcasm) about the line's policy in the guise of "advice." That's unhelpful to posters with real questions, and snarky to boot. It was those posts on this thread that prompted my earlier post.

And I agree, I don't want to see anyone's boxers, tidy whities, OR plumber's crack over their pants! :)

PS I probably should add I've never taken jeans on a cruise except for one where we went horseback riding (which is where I wore them). I find them for the most part hot, and heavy, and I prefer lighter fabrics for warm-weather cruising. When I visit Alaska, however, I'm sure the jeans will be in my suitcase AND in the dining room if we choose NCL for that cruise.

Some seem to "surface" whenever the dress code is the topic.

Perhaps some never got the memo that "Times, they are a-changin'". All one needs to do is to take a glimpse at corporate America to see that a business suit is no longer a prerequisite of professionalism and credibility in the wake of the trend toward "business casual". People have been sick of being trapped in business attire for 40-60 hours a week for quite some time now...and those who still HAVE to wear it from 9:00-5:00+ every day certainly don't want to be forced to do so when vacationing (although I won't argue that some form of dress code will almost assuredly always be welcome). Changing with the times can sometimes be tough...and I still have the blue eyeliner and bigger hair to prove it. ;)

But I think that some people just don't like what the cruiseline has decided what the dress code is (any jeans at all). Well' date=' they should just bite their tongues and keep quiet or cruise on another line. (Don't get me started on the pants below the back side issue, I can't stand that!)[/quote']

I have to agree, I have always hated it when some people come on this board and try to impose their dress standards on everyone else. NCL has decided to go with Freestyle dress code and that does mean that jeans are allowed at times. There is no reason to debate that or try to intimidate those that choose to follow it just because it is below ones personal standards. If you don't like the dress code on NCL and the fact that many people like it....simply DON'T SAIL ON NCL! (and don't post anti-dress code remarks everytime someone brings up a question about it.)

I don't understand what is so hard to understand about that!

I have to agree, I have always hated it when some people come on this board and try to impose their dress standards on everyone else. NCL has decided to go with Freestyle dress code and that does mean that jeans are allowed at times. There is no reason to debate that or try to intimidate those that choose to follow it just because it is below ones personal standards. If you don't like the dress code on NCL and the fact that many people like it....simply DON'T SAIL ON NCL! (and don't post anti-dress code remarks everytime someone brings up a question about it.)

I don't understand what is so hard to understand about that!

I could just KISS you! Come here, 'ya great big loveable galoot! :p

Archived