Help with traveling out and around the London area.

itsanita

We will have a little over a week in London before we return back to the states. The first 2 days will be spent in London, then 3 days outside of London at a family wedding. The last 4 days we would like to perhaps rent a car and see some of the surrounding area. Would you recommend we go north towards Biringham, Bristol? Or perhaps south to Dover?

If you had only 4 days, where would you recommend we travel and what would be some "must sees"?

Thanks,

I guess you're not getting as far north in that short time as to get to Edinburgh...or even York...a couple of cities I really love...

But let me throw a few at you closer to London...

You could go West--to Stonehenge and on to Bath...Stonehenge is, of course, fascinating...and worth a stop...Bath is a charming old city with ancient Roman origins and some later literary connections...

Or, head North a little to Stratford-upon-Avon and Oxford...Stratford, of course, is the home of William Shakespeare and Oxford is the great University town...

Those would be my first two inclinations...

If you're planning on renting a car whilst you're over here, may I suggest you take out a loan before you arrive..:rolleyes: :rolleyes: ......as the price of unleaded petrol is now £1 a litre in most places, and diesel is a couple of pence more expensive again.....:mad: :mad: :mad:

Anita,

When are you visiting? - It will make quite a big difference.

I 'second' the suggestions made so far and would include Cardiff as we have been discussing Wales.

Stonehenge is borderline, but a matter of personal interest. If you are in the same area, Avebury is a less well known and (IMHO) better choice.

I wouldn't plan a drive to up to Edinburgh as it will take too long from your 4 days. If you go, Fly.

If you go towards Dover, Leeds Castle and Chartwell (Sir Winston Churchill's home) are convenient and worth a visit.

Other ideas (a mix of Outdoor / Indoor)

Windsor Castle (en route to Costwolds / Bath / Cardiff)

Blenheim Palace (East of Costwolds)

Oxford

New Forest

Lavenham (Suffolk, NE of London)

Cambridge

Stourhead

Warwick Castle (close to Stratford upon Avon)

I agree with posters who said Stratford Upon Avon taking in The Cotswolds enroute. This is a journey of about 100 miles each way & is definitely the biggest tourist attraction outside of London for the 'Yanks'.

If you're planning on renting a car whilst you're over here, may I suggest you take out a loan before you arrive..:rolleyes: :rolleyes: ......as the price of unleaded petrol is now £1 a litre in most places, and diesel is a couple of pence more expensive again.....:mad: :mad: :mad:
Just to convert that for you - we pay around $7.60 for a gallon of gas.....so it will cost you around $125 to fill up a medium sized car.

Would recommend you visit the Cotswolds, which is the area between Oxford, Stratford on Avon, Cheltenham. Lots of beautiful "chocolate box" villages.

Have a look at these links

http://www.cotswolds.info/

http://www.the-cotswolds.org/

Brian

YES!! The Coswolds. Absolutely beautiful area, and we loved Stratford on Avon (take the hoho bus), and I LOVED Warwick Castle.

We rented a SmartCar from Sixti for about $20 a day, including all the fees, taxes, etc., etc. They are fun to drive, but only hold 2 people. Great mileage, too. We drove to Coventry, and spent 5 days in the local area. Loved our land trip!

Archived