Bedbugs on POH 11-5 thr 12

jjones

:eek: A friend was tormented by bedbugs which NCL did not appear to find interesting - one response was "we get that all the time, but usually in lower categories, not balcony." NCL did nothing for her.

We also had Norovirus on this cruise but no one in my party was ill except for the bites. But the buffet area was saran-wrapped and service was strained.

in sept 2006, most of the ships sailing to alaska had the virus. 2 weeks before our cruise on the NCL star, there was a big outbreak. 2 days in our cruise, we got a notice on the bed, to take care and use the santizers. after that the buffet was NOT self-serve...didn't hurt our cruise at all. the ladies at the santi-stations were very polite, but firm.

it's more common then most people want to think or hear about. just have a great cruise and wash your hands.

bed bugs!!! Is there any preventative measures that we can do??? The virus is one thing...bugs are a whole different thing to me...yikes!:(

You might find the below link interesting.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/bedbugs/

One problem is that if they are indeed aboard the ship in some staterooms and you are staying in that stateroom, you may get home to discover that you had some stowaways in your luggage.

one response was "we get that all the time, but usually in lower categories, not balcony."

Now, if said, that is totally irresponsible. If they are on a ship, they will spread via numerous methods. I will guarantee once they hit the Captains bedding, NCL will take the appropriate and expensive measures to rid the ship of them.

You can see bed bugs - just look before you get into bed.

Some on my last cruise claim to have been bitten by bed bugs, but they were not. They were bitten by sand fleas - we went to Roatan which is well known for sand fleas. They had not done their "homework" and did not take any measure (like "OFF") to ward off the sand fleas. Those on CC knew better. :rolleyes:

any time there is a "beach" anywhere in the area, there is a good chance that sand fleas can be picked up. some people are more sensitive to the bites. they can be around my DH, he never gets a bite..me, everything bites me. but any hotel, motel, cruise ship, etc..can get bedbugs, no matter what they do, they can be brought on the ship from passengers.

bed bugs are very hard to spot and hard to control. It has little to do with sanitation. As for bed bugs or sand fleas. Sand fleas are also hard to spot. For those who are about to cruise I don't think I would let this be a big concern. Bringing OFF and using it before you get to the beach is the best answer. It doesn't do much good if you wait. Yes, some people are much more likely to be bothered than others.

Nita

bed bugs are very hard to spot and hard to control. It has little to do with sanitation. As for bed bugs or sand fleas. Sand fleas are also hard to spot. For those who are about to cruise I don't think I would let this be a big concern. Bringing OFF and using it before you get to the beach is the best answer. It doesn't do much good if you wait. Yes, some people are much more likely to be bothered than others.

Nita

Way to go Nita (again:D ). I have been on many cruises where people have "bites" all over.....sand fleas are the worst! and some people still have quite a reaction upon returning home.....

• Administrators

If you are worried about bedbugs, before you climb in, search the sheets AND mattress carefully for very small, red specks (about half the size of your pinky nail). THEN raise holy heck. :) For a different take on it, the New Yorker has an article about bedbugs in the city -- http://www.newyorker.com/archive/2005/04/04/050404ta_talk_singer

can you spray your bed with OFF?

I wouldn't do that! This is from Deep Woods OFF

It is a violation of Federal law to use this product in a manner inconsistent with its labeling. Read all directions before using this product.

Hold container 6 to 8 inches from skin or clothing and spray with a slow sweeping motion. Do not spray in enclosed areas. Do not apply over cuts, wounds, or irritated skin. Do not apply to excessively sunburned or damaged skin. Use sparingly on small children. Do not allow use by small children without close adult supervision. Use just enough repellent to cover exposed skin. Avoid overexposure. Frequent reapplication and saturation are unnecessary for effectiveness. Do not keep product on any longer than necessary. After returning indoors, wash treated skin with soap and water.

Here's a link to how to identify beds bugs & control them.

http://www.uos.harvard.edu/ehs/pes_bedbug.shtml

Happy Cruising

bed bugs are very hard to spot and hard to control.

Absolutely, spot on. Bedbugs entrench themselves in the folds of mattresses, linens, etc. A casual glance will probably never find them. Stripping the bed, and checking the folds and crevices would.

can you spray you bed with OFF?

good question, it probably wouldn't hurt.

Probably not a good idea. Not only what Baitman says, but read the below from my quoted source.

Carefully read the label before applying any pesticide. Apply the product only if you fully understand the instructions, and if you have the appropriate training/certification and equipment.

Do NOT apply any insecticide or pesticide to mattresses or to surfaces that would be in direct contact with a person, unless the label instructions specifically state that the product can be applied in that manner. Some products can be harmful to people and pets. READ and UNDERSTAND the label.

I do remember Grandma saying "Sleep tight and don't let the bed bugs bite", those are fond memories, and when we get to the ship and place ourselves in that neat stateroom, back on the stern, we'll sleep just that tight, with a soft sound of the wake coming in through the door...UMMM, UMMM Good, only 48 more days!!! :D

Unfortunately alot of hotels' date=' high and low end, have problems with bed bugs. People carry them in with their luggage and don't even know it! A news report I saw recently said that we have probably all stayed with bed bugs and never even knew it. :eek:[/quote']

Exactly, it has little to do with sanitation as I said earlier but more to do with where they come from and how they get into our sleeping quarters. I wouldn't want to wake up with bites all over me, that is for certain but I know it is a problem that is almost impossible to control.

Nita

If a cabin is reported as infested with bed bugs, I think the cruiseline/hotel/home, etc. should take immediate action to clean that room, put the mattress in a bed-bug tight enveloppe and take all other measures described in the link supplied by Baitman19. It is not professional to do nothing about it. Maybe they can't control them 100% but at least they should take action if bed bugs are reported in a particular room.

Archived