Fuel Supplement announced (4 merged threads)

xeena

to jade13

i do not have the benefit of the brochure. is there a definition of "air/sea guestis the /yours or does it appear that way in the brochure/

depending on how air/sea guest is defined, it may be possible to argue that just sea guests are not properly covered by the surcharge:)

I don't see air/sea guests defined. However, I would think common knowledge is that we are the sea guests and some book both air and sea with Celebrity so they are the air and sea guests. I think they are covered. Again, I don't like the way it was not handled the same across the board and btw, I still have not received ANY e-mail from Celebrity telling me of this surcharge.

Btw, it does state "right to access air/sea guests a charge", so perhaps you could argue the charge is only for air and sea guests, not just sea guests, but that may be stretching it a bit, don't you think? What is the definition of the "/" back slash?

the first rule of contract construction is that the terms in dispute will be interpreted against the party who drafted the contract, and even more so if one party is, for instance, a large business and the other party is an a consumer. the termair/sea cruise may very well mean those people who paid for air and sea and not those just booking the cruise. i will try to find one of their contracts to see how the term air/sea is used elsewhere in the contract

hope every one has a nice turkey day:)

the first rule of contract construction is that the terms in dispute will be interpreted against the party who drafted the contract, and even more so if one party is, for instance, a large business and the other party is an a consumer. the termair/sea cruise may very well mean those people who paid for air and sea and not those just booking the cruise. i will try to find one of their contracts to see how the term air/sea is used elsewhere in the contract

Have a nice holiday!

Wrong Contract. We need the one for Celebrity, which I think would be the one printed in both the 2007/7008 and 2008/2009 broshures.

I am thinking they would be the same -- no paragraph #21 language -- as their brochure language is identical, but, of course, there would be a difference in the letterhead, and there is an outside possibility that they could use different language for their 2 products.

excellent point to remember

I don't see air/sea guests defined. However, I would think common knowledge is that we are the sea guests and some book both air and sea with Celebrity so they are the air and sea guests. I think they are covered. Again, I don't like the way it was not handled the same across the board and btw, I still have not received ANY e-mail from Celebrity telling me of this surcharge.

Btw, it does state "right to access air/sea guests a charge", so perhaps you could argue the charge is only for air and sea guests, not just sea guests, but that may be stretching it a bit, don't you think? What is the definition of the "/" back slash?

I think further illumination can be found in the brochure under air fees/taxes and surcharges. This section speaks of booking air through the line and mirrors the language at issue regarding assessing air/sea passengers fuel, security and other (like departure taxes)increases assessed AGAINST X.

IMHO surcharge is not the end of the world..

I couldn't agree with this statement more. I've read every post on this thread and I think most are just plain mad that the cost of cruising has gone up. Why are you surprised?? :confused: When's the last time anything went down in price and stayed down? Yes, it would have been nice if Celebrity would have made all existing bookings exempt of the $5 per person per day fuel surcharge as a matter of "principle", but they didn't. If $10 a day makes a difference, then by all means cancel your cruise. If you ask me, I think at the very least Celebrity was being honest about the reason the cost of our cruises are increasing. They could have just added the cost to other things and never said a word.

JMHO

Shaun

Over 30 Celebrity cruises with 2 more booked.

What is the definition of the "/" back slash?

The "/" (forward slash) can have a number of connotations; in this case I think they meant "and, or" ... but that's just my guess.

I do agree with some of the above comments- the surcharge is not that big of a deal in light of rising fuel prices.

I do agree with some of the above comments- the surcharge is not that big of a deal in light of rising fuel prices.

I agree that it's not that big of a deal & is, in fact, understandable. But, I think that most are not happy with the fact that it was levied on cruises that have already been contracted for at a certain price, & not just future bookings. I think that most would accept it if it were only applied to bookings made after the announcment date.

I think that most would accept it if it were only applied to bookings made after the announcment date.

The cruise lines that provided a grace period all have a higher surcharge of $7 or more/day/person - some without a limit on the # of days or the # of passengers/cabin. The cruise lines that did not allow a grace period are charging a lower amount, but spreading it out amongst all cruises from a particular date, regardless of when it was booked. Celebrity could have gone one step further and did what Carnival is doing...include the charge for those who have already paid in full.

It looks like Celebrity took the 'middle road' & I doubt that cruiselines could go down any road on this issue without numerous complaints.

I don't think X has announced a fuel charge yet but last week Carnival announced that beginning February 1, 2008 every passenger will find a $5/day fuel surcharge charged to his/her onboard account. Since HAL is part of the Carnival empire, its surcharge comes as no surprise.

Hi there,

I received a letter from Carnival stating that we'll be charged $120 for 3 people on our 8/2/08 cruise on the Carnival Freedom (12 day Med. cruise) so maybe $5/day applies to maybe the shorter cruises? Not sure. I guess with the rising cost of gas and oil prices, all cruise lines will be charging something.

Laurie

Hi there,

I received a letter from Carnival stating that we'll be charged $120 for 3 people on our 8/2/08 cruise on the Carnival Freedom (12 day Med. cruise) so maybe $5/day applies to maybe the shorter cruises?

Hi Laurie, Carnival is charging $5 per person, per day for the first and second guests in a stateroom (they are not applying the surcharge to additional guests in a stateroom.)

Someone earlier posted that if you cannot afford an extra $70 per cruise you should not be vacationing. I laughed to myself and agreed. But then I remembered how years ago I shovelled driveways for a few stormy weekends to get extra money for the tips and transportation costs I had no money for. There are those of us who are equally passionate about cruising whom believe it or not may have to count every cent and I feel are just as deserving to cruise as those who are better off.

Guess we won't pay for our Jan cruise this yr but it will apply next yr.

Fuel surcharges are being levied on many things--where we live the electric company has imposed a fuel surcharge for over a yr thatfor many amounts to more than the actual charges for the electricity..it has been litigated & sustained as something other than an increase in the actual charges..

.I think this is the beginning of something new for cruises--

The "/" (forward slash) can have a number of connotations; in this case I think they meant "and, or" ... but that's just my guess.

I respectfully disagree -- it would be seen as a dash, a way of classifying a particular cruiser as having booked air as well as sea.

The cruise lines that provided a grace period all have a higher surcharge of $7 or more/day/person - some without a limit on the # of days or the # of passengers/cabin. The cruise lines that did not allow a grace period are charging a lower amount, but spreading it out amongst all cruises from a particular date, regardless of when it was booked. Celebrity could have gone one step further and did what Carnival is doing...include the charge for those who have already paid in full.

It looks like Celebrity took the 'middle road' & I doubt that cruiselines could go down any road on this issue without numerous complaints.

Carnival's contract language expressly allowed for a fuel surcharge -- RCI's did not. Although I think Carnival pax can argue that their clause was in violation of the 1997 settlement. It's all about the contract.

I respectfully disagree -- it would be seen as a dash, a way of classifying a particular cruiser as having booked air as well as sea.

There are many instances where "/" is used in place of "and/or". e.g. if I asked, do you want cream/sugar with your coffee... could you interpret the "/" as "and/or", or does it have to mean that you can only have both or neither?

Is the class action lawsuit proceeding?

There are many instances where "/" is used in place of "and/or". e.g. if I asked, do you want cream/sugar with your coffee... could you interpret the "/" as "and/or", or does it have to mean that you can only have both or neither?

Is the class action lawsuit proceeding?

True, but I do not think it does in this case -- my opinion. There is no class action lawsuit -- there is a preliminary investigation by the Fl AG.

and does not require anyone to feel that they must defend their favorite cruise line's actions.

I don't think anyone is "defending" their favorite cruise lines actions, some here are just realistic. I don't blame any cruise line for imposing a surcharge. Show me any industry that's impacted by the rising cost of oil that hasn't imposed a surcharge.

SDT

We were charged fuel supplement ($50 pp) on our charter flight to all-inclusive in Dominican Republic.. That was in year 2000.. with much lower fuel cost. I don't remember anybody complaining.

There is no class action lawsuit -- there is a preliminary investigation by the Fl AG.

Yes, my mistake. It will be interesting to hear the results of the investigation. Perhaps one thing that will come out of it is a recommendation that clients need to be made aware when booking a cruise, that the possibility exists for certain surcharges to be added.

Yes, my mistake. It will be interesting to hear the results of the investigation. Perhaps one thing that will come out of it is a recommendation that clients need to be made aware when booking a cruise, that the possibility exists for certain surcharges to be added.

Jobob found this over at the RCI thread. http://www.fraud-lawyer.com/html/pfraud.html I guess there is a class action suit on a similar thing, but not this.

Well, we have all become more atuned on the necessity of reading contracts before we put money down, I think. Before the Nov 16th announcement such an eventuality of a surcharge did not exist (at least for RCI/X cruisers), but, now, of course, it does. I surely hope that lines and TA's tell their prospective clients that there could be an increase in cost for anything at any time, now. Not all lines have this exact same new language, however, some are less onerous.

We were charged fuel supplement ($50 pp) on our charter flight to all-inclusive in Dominican Republic.. That was in year 2000.. with much lower fuel cost. I don't remember anybody complaining.

I just know when I book a flight, the fuel surcharge is in the price, and when I show up at the airport, I am not asked for any more $$ before boarding. You were????

I just know when I book a flight, the fuel surcharge is in the price, and when I show up at the airport, I am not asked for any more $$ before boarding. You were????

Yes we were.

Fuel supplement is not always included.

Archived